• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe So I just started suboxone treatment, and I already have questions about getting off

I quit taking bupe before I was ready to quit taking it, because of situations beyond my control. It only took me a few months before I was starting to use again. I don't use every day now, but I've relapsed, so you might want to listen to your doctor, even though it was not what you wanted to hear. I thought I was different than any other addict and I wouldn't use and I honestly believed all my bullshit. None of us addicts are any different from one another, there's no exception.

I frequently kick on suboxone, and I have never been on a long term plan. In fact, I kick on ONE 8 mg pill, and I have a 2 gram a day habit. It's not easy, but it's done and over with in a week. I never stay on subs for more then 8 days, and never less then 4. I take 1/4 on my first day - I wait as long as possible, I aim for 36 hours. I then just wait until I can't bear the wd symptoms and continue to take smaller and smaller pieces. Eventually, I don't even realize that I haven't taken it in awhile. Again, it's not easy at all. I also find suboxone to be incredibly temperamental. Sometimes the detox is painless, I stop taking subs after 4 or 5 days, and I feel relatively fine the days after I stop taking suboxone. However, sometimes the detox is incredibly brutal the whole way through. And sometimes, I'll be able to handle the suboxone relatively okay - but once I stop taking it, I get violently ill for 2-3 days, just not AS bad as the cold turkey approach. In most cases, the one wd symptom I can't get rid of while i am taking subs and after for almost 2 weeks is how cold I am. And in most cases, after i stop taking suboxone I will have a few days where I absolutely can't sleep - the leg kicking, the feeling that every position you are in - is absolutely unbearable.

SO. I would say, your method is more then possible, and I highly recommend it. I would taper off the suboxone as much as possible until you stop. Taper it off so that on your last day - you are taking really small pieces, even crumbs. I don't think it really matters if you take it the 10th day or not. I think the important part of this is the taper. Always take a smaller piece then the day before. Don't take any more until you get sick again. Keep doing this until you aren't taking anything, or until you run out. The more you taper the less painful the days after will be. And even though you aren't addicted to suboxone yet - you still might get sick when you stop taking it. Be ready for that. This is why I would suggest not focusing on this 9 or 10 day thing, and just making one or two pills last 5-8 days, or 10 if you want. By the 7th day or so, you should be taking 1 mg or so and only every 24 hours....good luck.

Oh, and yes sometimes my wd symptoms will last two weeks, sometimes even longer, every detox I have had has been very different. And while I am always tempted to drink a lot when I first quit using, being really hung over only makes me want to use. I feel like weed sometimes does help, and sometimes makes me more aware of my wd symptoms, or makes them more intense. Again, suboxone has been very temperamental with me and not one detox has been the same. Also, everyone detoxes slightly different - some of my friends swear that smoking a ton of weed helps them get through the first part of the detox. Either way, alcohol and weed won't mask all of your wd symptoms - being hung over will only make your wd symptoms worse. In my experience - an holistic approach is the way to go and the only thing after suboxone that helps get rid of the wd symptons quickly, and makes the wd symptoms way less severe, as well. Some suggestions: skullcap, melatonin, and valarian root help with sleep and overall relaxing. Although skullcap (which is my favorite of the 3) should never be used if you have other substances in your body. Feverfew, milk thistle, garlic (capsule form), burdock root, dandelion, psyllium seeds (really great for your bowels), mullein leaf (good for respiratory system) helps (as well as many other herbal supplements - just do some research), acupuncture, yoga (specifically bikram and yin classes), massage, and a lot of Chinese herbs (i.e., lian qiao, pu gong ying) and white (silver needle is a favorite) and green teas - including yerba mate (swear it helps for any sort of problem).

So I had a post previously asking if anyone could refer me to a good suboxone doctor in Chicago, and of course everyone hit me with "try searching the mega thread" etc. etc. and my post was closed by a moderator. I wasn't so much looking for a listing of doctors, but first hand experiences with actual suboxone doctors in IL.

blah blah blah. search search search. call call call. I found a doctor half a mile from home that is pretty cheap (in a real fucked up hood that most chicagoans cop their goods from anyway).

Saw the doctor and she set me up with a 7 day script of 8mg to hold me over until my visit next week. My appointment lasted about 10 minutes. I was full of questions that the doctor (and I'm sure most of your doctors too) was too stupid to answer. I made a quick remark about starting to taper down next week and got a "woah woah hold it now. you're just gonna keep start using again. I think were gonna have you on it for 3 months".

*1st off- NO. I'm not that stupid. I know how addictive suboxone is and I absolutely do not want to get addicted to this shit. I want to use it as a detox and not a long term maintenance tool because I like to fuck off.

*2nd off- I lost my job 2 weeks ago. I had nothing in savings and I made a wise decision to use my last few bucks to try and get clean. It cost me $100 for 14 pills and I'm not gonna be able to afford this much longer anyway...

Prior to this I was putting a jab up my nose every two days. Which pretty much completely replaced my drinking/weed smoking/casual pill eating.

Day#1 I popped an 8mg (because I knew I would need a lot to make the swap) and my symptoms were 75% better. Later on that night I ate 4mg and got a headache. yet somehow was able to sleep with no help at a normal time.

Day#2 Absolute depression. I sat in the exact same spot on my couch all day feeling like my brain was fried. I had been smoking weed constantly which helps but for some reason wears out quick. Last night I read that the first day switching to sub was always difficult, which i did not know. so I thought I would try taking it easy on the meds. Ate 4mg. Got rid of WD's, but 2 hours later I craving H like crazy, so I popped the other 4mg half. All better. Still had a fried brain. Later in the evening I popped another 4mg followed by some xanax and I felt much much better. I also ate my first meal in months.

Day#3. I wake up feeling kinda sore. I popped the 8mg, but then passed back out! I don't know if they fully dissolved as there was nothing left in my mouth and very very very minimal lemon lime taste. So for good measure I pop another 4mg. I feel fucking great! I actually stood up out of bed immediately instead of hanging around for a few hours. My face had color in it for the first time in close to a year. I feel AMAZING.

8mg in the morning and another 4 in the evening seem to be doing good for me. I've been too pussy to try and stretch it out YET (on day at a time here).

So. I've read A LOT about this drug. I know how addictive it is. I know that a small dose will get rid of the WDs, and a higher dose will give me enough opiate(or whatever is in it) to not even crave heroin.

Now I am obviously going to go against my doctors wishes. Hell, if I had had much help in my original post I would just move on to another doctor.
I had a friend who use to shoot massive amount of dope for a long time. Got on sub for a few. then kicked the sub and now is doing GREAT.

I realize the doctor wants to keep me on such a high dosage for a long time so that my mind no longer craves the H and I can move on.

Now I am not too worried about relapsing on H. I had severed my contacts and hope to never touch it again. I will eat a pill here and there, but the main thing I am running from is the H. I hope to not relapse due to the fact that I cant get any dope, I don't want to be hooked on dope, and when ever I get the cravings i will just smoke weed and mellow the fuck out.

So this is my master plan. Go through my week long prescription. I figure the first 5-7 days of H WD are the worse. I might even try lowering my dosage after the 5th-6th day. See my doctor next thursday. Tell her how i feel,and get my 2nd week script.

Then this is where i hope to make a break for it. I am hoping to stop using suboxone in my second week. I am not sure if this works, but I am hoping to slip through the back door when my actual Heroin dependency is gone and right before I get addicted to suboxone.

The question is (and trust me I've searched the mega thread, if it's in there somewhere then I am an idiot who could not find it)...

Has anyone else has experience just DETOXING with the sub and not using it as a long term maintenance. Would be it be a good idea to just completely skip my dose on day 10 and smoke enough weed/drink myself unconscious for a few days after to avoid any SUB WD's? would they be present after 10 days?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

To the mods And if this thread brings up some new useful info please merge it to the mega thread, but also please give people a chance to see this thread and hopefully chime in with some good info.

Dude i would transfer quick the doctor should be helping your expectations, IMO methadone/saboxone is a mircal drug but the doctors at the clinics do not want to taper you down nor actually help you they want to raise you so you will keep coming... Yes you can quite stop opiates with saboxone/methadone treatments but you have to find a good doctor that will listen. I dont like subs my brother gave me a piece of one after 3+ days of wd & it threw me into a bad wd they say weight 48 hours but subs gave me anxiety, & my wd's were going away before taking subs so i thought a sub may help it didnt for 2+ days i felt like shit hope this helped u fuck subs IMO methadone is better but the wds are worse than average opiate dependance do it right n there will b no wd

I just wanted to chime in on here. After briefly reading the OP i noticed he was saying he was "popping" 8mg tabs of sub. Are you actually swallowing these? Because you are supposed to keep them under the tongue - then most people spit it out after 10 mins or so. Whenever I took sub just to not go into WDs i always snorted 1-3mgs throughout the day. Snorting has a MUCH better BA - try it u'll see. It will last you longer too.

I hate sub to be honest. currently i am on a methadone treatment for past 3 months and is the best thing i ever did. I still have some random cravings but they are manageable. When you are on any treatment you have to really WANT to stop and you really dont sound like you really want to quit all together. I'm not trying to put you down or anything - when i started the methadone i had the same attitude but after a month and a half of "clean" living your mindset really will change.

I frequently kick on suboxone, and I have never been on a long term plan. In fact, I kick on ONE 8 mg pill, and I have a 2 gram a day habit. It's not easy, but it's done and over with in a week. I never stay on subs for more then 8 days, and never less then 4. I take 1/4 on my first day - I wait as long as possible, I aim for 36 hours. I then just wait until I can't bear the wd symptoms and continue to take smaller and smaller pieces. Eventually, I don't even realize that I haven't taken it in awhile. Again, it's not easy at all. I also find suboxone to be incredibly temperamental. Sometimes the detox is painless, I stop taking subs after 4 or 5 days, and I feel relatively fine the days after I stop taking suboxone. However, sometimes the detox is incredibly brutal the whole way through. And sometimes, I'll be able to handle the suboxone relatively okay - but once I stop taking it, I get violently ill for 2-3 days, just not AS bad as the cold turkey approach. In most cases, the one wd symptom I can't get rid of while i am taking subs and after for almost 2 weeks is how cold I am. And in most cases, after i stop taking suboxone I will have a few days where I absolutely can't sleep - the leg kicking, the feeling that every position you are in - is absolutely unbearable.

SO. I would say, your method is more then possible, and I highly recommend it. I would taper off the suboxone as much as possible until you stop. Taper it off so that on your last day - you are taking really small pieces, even crumbs. I don't think it really matters if you take it the 10th day or not. I think the important part of this is the taper. Always take a smaller piece then the day before. Don't take any more until you get sick again. Keep doing this until you aren't taking anything, or until you run out. The more you taper the less painful the days after will be. And even though you aren't addicted to suboxone yet - you still might get sick when you stop taking it. Be ready for that. This is why I would suggest not focusing on this 9 or 10 day thing, and just making one or two pills last 5-8 days, or 10 if you want. By the 7th day or so, you should be taking 1 mg or so and only every 24 hours....good luck.

dude your saying his method is more than possible... you "always kick" with short detoxes

i think the OP wants to quit??? he doesnt want to detox 20 times with suboxone,

usually, if you are heavily addicted, doing a littel detox program will not do shit aside from detox you, notice how everyone saying it's possible is back on opiattes?

anyway,for what its worth............. heres what got me clean after a 13 yr iv h
habit,not 7 rounds of mmt or 3 subutex maintainance day 1 1 8ml sub .day 2 6ml sub. day 3 4ml sub day4 2ml sub day 5 1ml sub day 6 500mg tramadol day 7 400 mg tramadol....you get the drift, always hav lots of benzos at night,take mega doses of vit c and try to eat. it wont be nice but it might be less bad than you expect.just try your best and if you fail dust yourself down and start again............love e

Had to delete your post bri2u2002. No sourcing allowed here even for doctors.

The suboxone website will give you a link to every doctor in your area..

I have lived in Chicagoans all my life and had my first experience with H when I was 16, about 16 years ago, anyway I've had success with a one week detox using sub strips 8mg, just go from taking one and a half to one the next day and so on, till you take a half for a couple days, at that point there might be slight anxiety maybe some wormy leg syndrome for a couple days off the subs but nothing even close to what I consider bad wd symptoms, works for me, and I was using anywhere from 6 to a jab a day......hope this helps