• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

SNRI and amphetamine interaction?

Lopez

Bluelighter
i've been on venlafaxine (effexor) 75 mg for about a week now (dose adjustments have had me going to lower doses and back) and i notice that increasing my dose once again has had a slight stimulant effect on me. my pupils are extremely dilated, more physical energy, mood lift, etc.

well anyway a friend of mine has a prescription to adderall but never takes them, so she offered them to me. like any other drug user i immediately accept but at the same time i wonder: will effexor, an SNRI and adderall which is a combination of amphetamines have some sort of interaction? does anyone here have any experience mixing a SNRI and amphetamines?

Welll, personally, I think you should taper off the effexor. It's a nasty drug.

However, it's affecting norepinehprine, and adderall affects dopamine. There's no dangerous interaction, and ssri's/snri's + stimulants are often scripted.

It is a BAD idea. Norepinephrine and Dopamine are related to each other. One is metabolized to the other in the brain.

SNRIs and amphetamine both raise norepinephrine levels, and too much will lead to overstimulation, anxiety, raised blood pressure, and possibly heart problems.

The SNRI will most likely block the amphetamines from releasing norepinephrine.. ^

The SNRI will most likely block the amphetamines from releasing norepinephrine.. ^

actually they synergize and add on to overstimulation. think using cocaine or ritalin with amphetamine(just without the dopamine reuptake).

i know this from experience. :\

I was prescribed both effexor and Dexedrine for years with no serious side effects. LOTS of uncomfortable ones though, sweating, heartburn and I felt the SNRI took away from the dexedrine. As I needed to up my dose. I tapered of Effexor in march of this year and was glad to have done so.
Now I am considering Cymbalta (also an SNRI as depression sets in me like winter).
I would suggest trying some 5 HTP to take as a supplement instead of your antiD but not while your taking it!
Good luck

I was prescribed both effexor and Dexedrine for years with no serious side effects. LOTS of uncomfortable ones though, sweating, heartburn and I felt the SNRI took away from the dexedrine. As I needed to up my dose. I tapered off Effexor in march of this year and was glad to have done so.
Now I am considering Cymbalta (also an SNRI as depression sets in me like winter).
I would suggest trying some 5 HTP to take as a supplement instead of your antiD but not while your taking it!
But SNRI and AD have different effects for everyone. As you might have noticed from the above posters experience.
start out slow, and make your own judgement.
Good luck