• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Small Town Ecstasy, HBO, 4/28

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes the cocaine comment is true.....you mean you guys did not know there was cocaine and herion in pills? c'mon guys.... j/k
yes he did say that...blahblahblah.
and if you ask me this was what someone else had said in a earlier article.
this was a anti-drug commercial. nothing more and nothing less. they were not trying to say ecstasy was good, and they damn sure was not trying to talk about a mid-life crisis....what they were trying to do is say that when on X you make stupid decision! and X makes you act like a fool, etc. etc.....
casper
[ 30 April 2002: Message edited by: La_casper ]

Why does everybody get so up in arms over stuff like this? This actually happened. People are actually this stupid. They actually do make terrible decisions because of drugs. Drugs, including ecstasy, do fuck up families and lives.
And it doesn't so much matter what HBO was trying to do ("say that when on X you make stupid decision! and X makes you act like a fool, etc. etc")...they wouldn't have succeeded unless someone had actually done those things.

does anyone have a list of the songs that they played during the show? the credits were too fast and it says nothing at hbo.com

I recorded it and wrote down the song credits, these are the only ones on there, music played at the raves wasn't official so they didn't credit it or anything, but here ya go:
wonderlick - the right crazy
wonderlick - i wanna love you
wonderlick - i disappear
wonderlick - hearts and stars
wonderlick - how small you are
wonderlick - chapel of bones
wonderlick - mount 8
largo - largo's dream
nelly - wrap sumden
swayzak - illegal

"But Monday morning," Downum said, "We will have people here from Child Protective Services, the DA's office, everybody with any expertise in any drug use, to view the entire tape and see what we can do with it."
Speaking of big pictures, does anyone else find something wrong with the fact that people are now trying to CONVICT a guy based on FILM footage that was made about his life?

This link to the newspaper will probably be de-activated so here's the actual article:
-------------------
Scott Meyers, 43, of Mokelumne Hill, was featured in "Small Town Ecstasy" shown on HBO in April.
   Video: Watch the HBO trailer
Sacramento Police Department
Televised use of drugs leads to father's arrest
Child-endangerment charges follow apparent sharing of Ecstasy with his kids on HBO show.
By Niesha Gates -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Friday, June 14, 2002
An HBO documentary showing a father taking drugs with his teenage children at a Sacramento house party led to the father's arrest this week on suspicion of two counts of child endangerment, authorities said.
Authorities arrested Mokelumne Hill resident Scott Meyers, 43, Wednesday after a Sacramento County judge signed a warrant for his arrest. The warrant was issued based on footage from the HBO documentary "Small Town Ecstasy" that aired April 28, Sacramento Police Sgt. Justin Risley said Thursday.
"The reason we got involved is because a lot of the taped HBO footage occurred in a private residence on La Riviera Drive," Risley said.
Calaveras County sheriff's deputies have been investigating the case, turning information over to the Sacramento Police Department and the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office.
Meyers was being held Thursday in lieu of $50,000 bail at the Sacramento County jail, where he declined an interview. He was scheduled for arraignment today on two felony counts.
The HBO documentary was taped two years ago and shows Meyers taking Ecstasy with his 13-year-old son and 15-year-old daughter, said Calaveras County District Attorney Jeff Tuttle.
Ecstasy, the street name for MDMA, is an illegal hallucinogenic drug that is popular at rave parties.
Based on what he saw, Tuttle said the charges filed against Meyers were appropriate. Tuttle is also concerned about HBO's role in the project.
"I don't think it's appropriate to stand by and watch kids take drugs without doing something about it," Tuttle said. "They were taking pictures to make money off it. I don't like the morality of that."
HBO officials declined to talk about the arrest Thursday.
The footage from Sacramento in "Small Town Ecstasy" was taken in October 2000. Meyers was arrested in November 2000 by Calaveras County deputies for possessing a small amount of Ecstasy and pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor in March, the Modesto Bee reported. He was referred to a diversion program.
Meyers, who is divorced, has four children. When the tape was made, he had custody of his daughter, then 15. A son, then 13, lived with his ex-wife. The couple have two grown children.
The documentary shows Meyers participating with drugs in raves and house parties with three of his children, including the two youngest, the Modesto Bee reported.
Meyers' ex-wife, Sheryl Mettler, came forward with information for the sheriff's investigation about Meyers' "new lifestyle" out of concern for her children, said Calaveras Sheriff's Capt. Michael Walker. She was unavailable for comment Thursday.
"We have interviewed a lot of people in this case, and people in the community are outraged at his behavior and the position he placed his kids in," Walker said. "His attitude was that he's a free spirit and his children will grow up to make their own decisions."
On Thursday, the Calaveras County Sheriff's Department issued a news release that said deputies are investigating possible charges of child endangerment in Calaveras County for times when Meyers allowed minors to consume alcoholic beverages in his home.

My feelings are that the Sacramento Police and Sherrif's department kinda felt "showed up" in a way. Probably thinking people across the nation are saying....." what shit ass law protection do they run there in sacto?". I personally believe the arrest was more to save face then anything else.
Does he need to be punished.....YES. But, for the right reasons. Putting your kids in harms way should be punishable but, keep in mind that it was years ago and, take into consideration circumstances of today. Is everyone OK now? If so.......slap him (maybe 6 months in jail) and let him be.

lol, migrated from the other thread to continue saying: "He's bad - he's insane - fuck him!" - have we? =D

How about making more than one sentance posts and actually presenting some kind of argument ? I agree his behaviour sounds quite questionable from what I have read (didn't see the documentary) - but I just don't see a point to bitching this much about something without really getting into it. Then when the other thread was closed you find this one to continue bitching and still don't present an argument - only an invitation for getting into a disagreement.

--- G.

well im not very good at arguing. i rather hear another persons point of view and see if i agree with it or not. i know it sounds like im not very educated its just that im not the kind of person who can discuss a matter thoroughly

This topic was initially posted a year and a half ago, I see no reason why this needed to be bumped back into circulation just to add one quick comment like
How fucked up in the head can you be to let them take XTC?

In some unseen circumstance someone feels this needs to be re-opened, please PM me with an explanation and I will consider opening it back up. I caught a wiff of troll in here, and it's time to lay this topic to rest.

g'nite.

Status
Not open for further replies.