• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Small Town Ecstasy, HBO, 4/28

Status
Not open for further replies.
just thought i would post another comment on this: found this on dancesafe today.
Drug Info Ecstasy Slide Show Safe Settings Local Chapters Literature Support DanceSafe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DanceSafe.org : Raves and Club Drugs in the News : US CA: HBO Film Draws Calaveras' Notice
Pubdate: Fri, 26 Apr 2002
Source: Modesto Bee, The (CA)
Copyright: 2002 The Modesto Bee
Fax: 209-578-2207
Author: Ron DeLacy
Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/mdma.htm (Ecstasy)
HBO FILM DRAWS CALAVERAS' NOTICE
It's not exactly a local-boy-makes-good film, but when an HBO documentary called "Small Town Ecstasy" comes on television at 10 p.m. Sunday, the viewing and taping audience will include a lot of people from Calaveras County.
Like the sheriff and the district attorney.
According to HBO, the film focuses on a man named Scott who didn't do drugs or alcohol until he was divorced at age 40 and hooked up with ecstasy -- also known as E, X or XTC -- a synthetic mind bender popular in some teen-age crowds.
In the documentary, Scott becomes enamored with it. At raves and drug- fueled house parties, he revels with younger people, including three of his own teen-age children.
He takes ecstasy. So do his children. The ex-wife, who is part of the documentary and not part of the parties, is appalled. But despite facing criminal charges and losing the right to see the underage children, Scott keeps getting loaded. Once ecstasy gets a grip on him, he refuses to let go.
This is not a documentary glorifying ecstasy or any other illegal substance, according to executive producer Arnold Shapiro, but instead "one of the strongest anti-drug films you'll ever see."
Sheriff Dennis Downum hopes that besides providing a message it also will deliver leads for further prosecution of the protagonist, whose last name isn't used in the movie but is well known to law enforcement officers.
They say the man is Scott Meyers, who grew up in the West Point area of the county and now lives in Mokelumne Hill. Narcotics officers have been after him for nearly two years, and have only a misdemeanor possession conviction to show for it.
Meyers was reportedly out of town and could not be reached for comment Thursday. His ex-wife could not be reached, either.
Officers knew about the making of the HBO program, which was filmed about two years ago, and tried to get pre-publication footage, including outtakes. HBO turned them down, and Downum said the county gave up on trying to force the issue.
"But Monday morning," Downum said, "We will have people here from Child Protective Services, the DA's office, everybody with any expertise in any drug use, to view the entire tape and see what we can do with it."
District Attorney Jeff Tuttle said that even if he sees criminal activity or hears admissions, prosecution would require an independent investigation. Limitation statutes could become an issue. Witnesses would have to be found.
"We can't just go to court with an HBO movie," Tuttle said.
Even if they could, supervising producer Allison Grodner said they would not see what they want most to see -- the father providing the drug to a 15-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son.
The closest the documentary comes to that, Grodner said, is during a party where Meyers talks to an older son, who is 18, about wanting the younger kids "to experience what he's experienced."
They don't settle their argument, and there is no footage of the younger ones taking the drug, but it becomes evident later that they have taken it and that Meyers knows it.
Grodner said the film crew set out two years ago to make a documentary about ecstasy, and found their ideal focus group at a Labor Day rave dance at the fairgrounds in Angels Camp. There they met Meyers and his 18-year-old son, who had introduced his father to the drug.
"Then it became a much bigger story," Grodner said. "They were part of a bigger family, with younger children, and we get the father's story of not having done anything until he was 40 -- not even alcohol. All of a sudden he is enamored with a lifestyle of things he had never tried before."
Even Sheriff Downum acknowledged that Meyers was a perfect citizen and apparently a doting and responsible husband and father "up until about two years ago when he kind of hit the midlife crisis or whatever, dyed his hair blond and went nuts. It's got to be killing his mom and dad."
Meyers' father is a well-known retired minister in the county.
"I've known him and his wife since I was born," Downum said. "He married my wife and me, and I think he either married or buried everybody in my family."
The minister's wife said she didn't want to comment about the HBO documentary or about her son except to say that "he has taken a harrowing spiral downward, and we are praying something happens to turn him around."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAP posted-by: Josh
Home About Contact Links New
casper

You guys arent seeing the big picture here, the HBO America Undercover Series always bring provoking ideas and footage to the TV. Some of their other titles include shows on hookers, autopsies, white trash families, KKK (neo-nazi's), and shows on death row, not to mention a thousand other idea's i didnt name. America Undercover doesnt show these things as a way to preach on drugs or anything, everything they showed was real and not staged. It wasnt a "Dont do ecsacy" program filled w/ propaganda, it was about a father who would give his kids drugs and their family struggle through the seperation of divorce, a kid who doesnt care about life, another kid who tries to be a lil bit responsible and the last kid who just wants to make daddy happy.
You guys ALWAYS do this when anything about drugs is on TV. You sit infront of it with your lil notebook, a print out from erowid or dancesafe, and a disdain look. I'm sure erowid and even dancesafe has a few 'facts' that arent really proven or true for that matter, yet we look at them with such high regard. The point of the matter is, drugs are what they are, and most drugs for most people are NOT a good thing.

^^^
^^^
^^^
Very well said
I only have one "BUT"
HBO should have done a better job of editing out the lore and the bullshit. In one scene the 18 year old was telling his dad something to the effect of:
"...and these pills are laced with COCAINE! You just gave your kid COCAINE!"
To someone who does not know a lot about ecstasy... and that is the majority of the population, this would be believed.
I don't get HBO so I watched this at a local bar. I was next to two stupid chicks at the bar... I called bullshit at the cocaine remark, and at the CAT scan scene. They were all like "Oh yeah well I did a report on E in school... It's cocaine and heroine mixed together and burns your brain! So nyah nyah!!"
So I was like... "You moron... E is MDMA. Yeah that’s methylenedioxy-n-methylamphetamine in case you care. No it doesn’t burn your brain... it affects the neurotransmitters in your brain by releasing more than normal into the synapse. Want to talk more, because I guarantee I have done 50 times more research than you. I hope you got an F on your stupid report schoolgirl."
Well I basically made her look like an idiot... but I’m sure most people watching this show were not around a "defender" such as myself. As with any report about MDMA, there was allot of bullshit to be weeded out.
And BTW I was fascinated by this show.

It was a documentary. It documented the perspectives of people. It had no obligation to set the facts straight other than their personal stories.
Actually, it was pretty poorly made. It could have been edited down to an hour. Also, more background as to the divorce would have been interesting.

i agree: that if they were trying to talk about the family more so then the ecstasy, then it would of been to nice to hear more about the divorce.
sunE You guys ALWAYS do this when anything about drugs is on TV. You sit infront of it with your lil notebook, a print out from erowid or dancesafe, and a disdain look. I'm sure erowid and even dancesafe has a few 'facts' that arent really proven or true for that matter, yet we look at them with such high regard. The point of the matter is, drugs are what they are, and most drugs for most people are NOT a good thing.
the only reason why i posted what i had found on dance safe is because i actually found that quit funny too....it was a article written by someone other then dancesafe.
casper
[ 29 April 2002: Message edited by: La_casper ]

Originally posted by Trancendance:
It had no obligation to set the facts straight other than their personal stories.

actually, yes HBO interjected many "facts" remember all the white text on black backgrounds while the people would voice over??? one I remember was "ECSTASY USERS ARE KNOWN TO GRADUATE TO OTHER DRUGS" or something like that
If some kid said "yeah dood! drinking 4 1/2 bottles of robotussin feels just like rollin ballzzz!!!" I'm sure HBO would have included a slide... probably a disclaimer or fact to set that statement straight. Why? Lawsuits. Remember Beavis and Butthead?
So yes trancedance... there is a responsibility to set facts straight, and HBO interjected on many occasions throughout the "documentary"

I do agree that those "facts" they put up on the screen were objectionable. They should have just told the story. So, although they don't have an obligation to spread truth, I would agree with you that they have an obligation not to spread lies.

There is mention of further criminal charges, but then they say that they never show the two youngest children actually taking the E....
they did show that! The youngest boy didn't chew it and the girl did.
I thought it was very sad that the father was so self absorbed that he told the kids straight out that he was not going to stop even if it meant losing them.
What a horrible thing for a father to say to his children.
I hope when he watches the show he will see what he has become and finally put his children above himself, where they should have been all along.

that dude is going to be in big trouble now.
what a nutjob. good guy though.

HBO should have done a better job of editing out the lore and the bullshit. In one scene the 18 year old was telling his dad something to the effect of:
"...and these pills are laced with COCAINE! You just gave your kid COCAINE!"
To someone who does not know a lot about ecstasy... and that is the majority of the population, this would be believed.
Well actually the kid did not say that. He said something like "Pot is different.hes smoked pot before, ecstacy is a hard drug would you approve of giving your kid another hard drug like cocaine. He didnt say that ecstacy is made with cocaine.
I kinda liked the show except for the fact that he is a kandy grown up.

In case any of you missed it. It will be on again on 5/1. Check your local listings....
>Does anyone know if that Dr. was correct by saying that the kid's brain aged and is equivelant to a 40 year olds?
>How accurate are those brain scans in determining how much you messed up your brain with drugs?
>Does anyone know how much one of those brain scans would cost for someone without health insurance?
...just wondering

Watching the show now and dad just went to jail he is such a loser!!! This is just fucked up giving kids X And putting the money down so they could pick it up and buy a pill WTF He has no morals what a fucked up parent.

Watching the show now and dad just went to jail he is such a loser!!! This is just fucked up giving kids X And putting the money down so they could pick it up and buy a pill WTF He has no morals what a fucked up parent.

Originally posted by LiQuid_Rollz:
Well actually the kid did not say that. He said something like "Pot is different.hes smoked pot before, ecstacy is a hard drug would you approve of giving your kid another hard drug like cocaine. He didnt say that ecstacy is made with cocaine.
ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG! I AM A GOD AND REMEMBER WHAT HE SAID! OK, now that that's over, here's what he actually said. He said "what if the pill's cut with cocaine, you approve of giving your 13-year old kid cocaine?" That isn't an exact quote, but he did mention cocaine being in E pills. I don't see why you are all obsessing over this, it's not like he's the first "raver" to say this. He's probably just the first to say it on HBO.
P.S. If you disagree with me about what he said, you're wrong! HAHA. Watch it again on Wednesday if you don't believe in my powers of recollection.

ikarus is indeed right - i have a good memory as well PLUS i watched it twice, just now and last night as well. neener. ;)
personally what was really sad to me was the thirteen year old kid rolling, he looks so young and vulnerable especially when he's fucked up, and it's just so sad to me to see him rolling with his dad. i remember my aunt telling my cousin who is my age (seventeen) that if she were ever to experiment with drugs it had better be with her and not anybody else. i dunno, i think it is a choice that people should make themselves at an age where they are mature enough to fully understand and make an educated decision. to influence a thirteen year old like that is wrong, when i was thirteen i wasn't interested in drugs at all. i cant ever see myself giving my children drugs, or letting them do them. i know that kids are kids and they're going to do these things if they want to but why fuel the fire? i've been rolling since i was fifteen (young yes i know) but i made that choice myself. plus its got to fuck with these kids minds seeing their father on drugs. the thought of my parents on drugs scares the shit out of me.
also, hbo's little webpage with the "myths and facts" of Ecstasy is somewhat incorrect and misleading. *sigh* the miseducation of America continues.

Originally posted by LiQuid_Rollz:

I kinda liked the show except for the fact that he is a kandy grown up.

Yes the 18 year old did... i taped it.

This was a documentary......It wasn't aired to educate you all on drug use. Quit trying to turn the show into what you wanted it to be instead of what it was supposed to be. It was a great show with a real loser as a main character.

Status
Not open for further replies.