Small presents! URGENT, PLEASE REPLY!

skydancer said:
BTW, I got a book, candles + a nice plate to put them on, and an electric coffee cup which has a mixer built in.

Plus some other stuff including a mechanized raindeer which plays the saxophone. :\

Lol - I think Michael was kidding? I laughed, I really think he's joking but I'm new so I what do I know? lol

Anyway, I was gonna ask what you ended up getting! Lol - swear to God I was gonna pm you. Lol. I am SO nosey. Damn, I like those gifts! You DID do good girl!

Those are fun enjoyable gifts. Things that I see and want but wouldn't get for myself. I know those gifts will be appreciated. ;)

roflmao - i just looked at your gallery, what i MEANT to say was you DID GOOD MAN! oops! Told ya I was new. ;)

yes, i was kidding, although i do find the sinterklaas tradition to be rather humorous.

Hehe, this year I picked up a couple of shot glass chess sets ;) I think they were only $5.99 each

Originally posted by skydancer
...an electric coffee cup which has a mixer built in.

please explain.

:)

alasdair

^
Like a frother thing, I think. A glass cup with a little motor on it that you can put in the micro and then froth up and add some espresso... instant cappucino/latte/[insert fave frothy coffee here] :)

All were good gift ideas, excluding the book.

I was taught that you're never supposed to buy someone a book as a present. The reason? I'm glad you asked. It's usually pretty difficult to accurately choose a book that someone else would be interested in AND the reciever of a book as a gift usually feels obligated to read it, even if they're not particularly interested :\
If this happens, it doens't turn out to be much of a "gift" does it? More of a nuisance. :\

^ by the same token, never give anyone legos because they will have to put them together ;)

I love giving and receiving books as presents...I'm not sure anyone has every steered me away from giving that as a gift...but like everything else you need to know the person you're giving it to, to understand their preferences.

I think it's often easier to choose a book someone would be interested in than a piece of clothing or a scent of bath stuff or whatever.

You can simply look around or ask for a few existing favorites, then see books which are also popular on amazon.com. Also, you could try something out of the ordinary. It's at no cost to the receiver anyway, and even if they don't read the books, having them on the shelves improves the room.

I discovered my now favorite writer when my girlfriend gave me one of the best books ever! I have given a copy of this book to two other people since and it has been well received. But this is perhaps not the norm, because it's the greatest book ever.

Yes, the cup is like nowonmai described in posting #2519458!

Originally posted by skydancer
But this is perhaps not the norm, because it's the greatest book ever.

which book is it?

the cup sounds silly :)

alasdair

I dont think the receiver of a bookgift would be obligated to read it ASAP , inasmuch as someone on the receiving end of a nice Gap sweater with reindeer accent would be forced to WEAR it the VERY next ocassion he is to hang out with the "Giver". :p
Hey skydancer nice book! ill check that out :D