• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

slang terms for "grades" of pot

stardragon

Bluelighter
This is something I've wondered for a very long time, and always felt too stupid to ask. Now I have a place to be stupid. :)
I am not part of stoner culture and so I have no understanding or knowledge of the complex slang that I sometimes hear thrown around. Can someone enlighten me about the various terms used to describe the various "grades" of weed? Like what exactly is "schwag", what is "kine", why do I sometimes hear "skunk" used positively and sometimes negatively, etc? also what are the various "breeds" and what seems to be the general opinion on their potency or effects? just a basic rundown would be fine...

I don't have anything to back up what I know except for what I have heard therefore, I am not going to try.
But out of my personal curiousity I wanted to add chronic and hydro to the list.
And I must admit this is a good question if it hasn't been brought up already.

Marijuana is called so many things and I think there are different terms for different states/countries/areas, so I will just tell ya what its called in my neck of the woods.
Shwag = cheap weed with millions of seeds, also can be used with the word shwiggity in front of it to make it funner to say, $20 for a quarter
Dank = really good weed, also can add diggity to the front of it to make it equally as fun to say, $100 per quarter.
Boulder Chronic = same as dank just from boulder, the buyer makes his own words to say infront of this and behind it like my version "biggity boulder blue bonic hydro ponic chronic", $100 a quarter or more depending on those damn greedy hippies. The blue bonic is just added words to make it flow together better.
Thats about it really and nothing inbetween.
ego=)
[ 14 August 2002: Message edited by: egobirth ]

biggity boulder blue bonic hydro ponic chronicI know you gave this as just a fun example, but does "blue" actually mean anything (even if it doesn't here), or did you just throw it in randomly? ("blue-bonic" = sound play on "bubonic" I assume)
so so far we got schwag, dank and chronic?

skunk is generally a term for the higher potency strains, your afgani, your white rhino, your black demeanor etc... usually characterized by it's pungent, potent, almost fruity smell. hence the name.
quite often is grown indoors and generally looks bigger, stickier, fuller, etc. quite often been manicured so there are fewer leaves and such, and damn there better be only 1 or 2 seeds in that ounce! (need something to steal that wikkid strain from don't you!)

Skunk weed smells just like a skunk to me.
Also in addition to schwag and dank, you've got nugget/bud. The nugget/bud is simply the bud of the plant, which contains the most THC. Names such as 'BC Bud' simply discribes bud that has come from British Columbia. Names like "Bubblegum," "White Widow," "Northern Lights," etc. are simply just strains of marijuana. Most seed company sites will describe the unique features of each strain. Around here they call weed laced with crack Chronic, but I do believe there is a strain called Chronic.
[ 14 August 2002: Message edited by: cingson ]

"Hydro" is grown with out soil just water, it is called hydroponics. Nutrients are added to the water. "Hydro" doesn't always mean that it is better(but it usually is good weed) it's just an alternitive way to grow. It is easier to give your plants the right nutrients using hydroponics.
"Kind" Bud(not "kine") is for weed that is a specific strain, therefore it is a special "kind" of weed, rather than just generic weed. 90% of the time Kind Bud(also KB)is much better than generic weed". Kind bud is usually "sensi" or sensimeala(not sure if I spelled that right) which mean seed-less. Also kind bud is generally cannibus indica rather than cannibus sativa.
"Skunk" weed is a kind of cannibus indica that smells skunky. Most indica smells fruity, and sativa just smells like regular pot.
"Buds" are the flowering parts of the cannibus plant. Shafe is crumbled up "buds". People perfer to get "buds" because they are easier to pack in a bowl(pipe), they look better, and they can not be cut with parsley or other kitchen spices.
Also any "sensi" weed is generally called "kind"
Hope that helped.

Originally posted by supertodd:

"Kind" Bud(not "kine") is for weed that is a specific strain, therefore it is a special "kind" of weed, rather than just generic weed.

I was under the impression it was called kind because it was "kind" to you.

I don't know where you're from, but anywhere I've been in the US, "kind" or "kind bud" or "KB" is just a generic term for any high grade marijuana.

I am from the U.S., and yes, usually most people consider any high grade marijuana "kind bud", but the term "kind" derived from being associated with specific kinds of marijuana. That is how I was told, but I could be misinformed. I am telling you that information second hand, and as you know there are lots of myths asscoiated with drugs, so who really knows.

when you talk about skunk are you actually referring to skank ? ( genetically modified weed ? )
do u know xaras ??

I have never herd of "skank".
I have a associate who grows a kind called "5-way" that is 5 different cannibus indica's geneticaly cloned togeather. But I am not aware of anyone else genetically modifing cannibus, but I am sure there are plenty of people. I've just never herd the term before.

Brazilian Vibe: 'skunk' is the UK (and maybe US?) term for a variety of very strong marijuana - its definitely spelt "skunk". It's not GM.
Q. How do you distinguish among these grades? I mean, if 'skunk' is supposed to be the best stuff, isn't every dealer going to say that his gear is 'skunk'?

you'll learn to spot good bud easily.
hold the bud up to a light, and if you see little sparkles on the leaves (sometimes inaccurately called crystals), the resin glands are well formed, and will be a strong smoke.
well formed resin glands will also make the bud sticky.
also, the colour of the pistils (female flowers) will depermine quality. a light brown-orange colour is what to look for in most strains, but white widow and K2 have a large proportion of white pistils too, giving them a fluffy appearance.
lighter green colour in the bud mean that it's been 'cured' or left in a dark, dry area for a while to allow the chlorophyll to oxidise. chlorophyll tastes kind of minty and harsh, so it's a good idea to try and get rid of it. its presence won't make the pot weaker, so it's not a good enough reason to reject the pot, but if you're a good bluffer, you might get a price reduction for pot improperly cured.
the buds themselves should be dense and have few if any leaves.
if the flowers look like little bunches of grapes, you're smoking a male... don't waste your time, just make hash oil or honey oil out of it.
skunk smells (to me) like fresh sweat (or maybe I'm just sweating THC :) )

No you can't call any kind of weed 'skunk' because skunk is a specific and DIFFERENT type of plant than normal.
OK when I went to the marijuana museum in Amsterdam last year, I can mix what I learnt with my own knowledge and tell you the following.
'Weed' is a darkish green and all comes from the Sativa plant. It may be spliced with another type of Sativa (like the difference say between Salvia Divinorum, Salvia blue etc) but its all basically Sativa to develop a cross breed and therefore more potent weed. It smells different to skunk. Resin is generally pressed from the oils of sativa.
In England we call regualar grade sativa 'commersh' as in 'commercial' ...generally not very potent and full of seeds.
Skunk is short for skunk weed, so named because it smells very strong, and is a different type of plant to Sativa. Any body who even half knows what they are doing would not confuse sativa weed with skunk weed. Apart from the smells which are very different, skunk has few or no seeds, is much lighter in colour, and should be streaked with orange flecks, which is from the colour of the flower, or bud.
Any dealer could call there gear skunk...but its only skunk if its actually skunk..basically you can even get shitty skunk, but its still more potent than sativa weed, which henceforth I shall just be calling weed. but skunk is skunk and weed is weed
Sensi is short for sensimelia and is indeed a seedless (and usually more potent) weed. People sometimes call high-grade sativa weed with little seeds 'sensi' but this is a mistake as Sensimelia is actually a different strain from Sativa. You can get purple haze as well which is a loverly weed...smeels like sativa weed (strong) and filled with purple specks (from the flowers) hence its name. i think people also mistakenly say that purple haze is hallucinogenic weed, well all weed / skunk is hallucinogenic. (however you spell)
Supertodd has made some good points.
The thing with weed and skunk is you can call it what you fooking want..like pills, a lot of it is just named by the dealer to sound good. It might still be a shit product.
Also you get thai sticks, which is litterally weed from thailand grown on/around a stick...if you can get it on the stick it shoudl be good stuff because people rarely use sticks to gorw it outsideof thailand, as i understand.
I don't know how it is in other places but a lot of weed and skunk in the uk, skunk mostly, is home-grown. By this we mean not grown in your own house, but on your own turf, ie in the uk. Vast warehouses with complicated hydroponics units that can produce a product *good* enough to rival that of imported stuff.
But you can usually tell the imported stuff by the smell, if you are experienced. for example sativa weed grown in jamaica is as potent as skunk from the UK, and since staying in jamaica, we get certain weeds that smell just like the plants over there, because it is almost like skunk, but not. Crossbreed, maybe?
i'm rambling now...

This is very interesting. Could people please give their general geographic location when posting? I am working on a project and this will help me out! :)

I'm from florida (Orlando) and our dank shit would be cryppy and our shwag would be regs or trees. chronic pretty much has two meanings either very good cryp or like say your smoking a dirty blunt ( weed mixed with cocaine)
peace out

atlanta
NOTE: none of the information i'm providing should be taken totally serious. this is just the scene i've become accustomed to.
schwag=regs=mexican weed=pine=trees, and depending on the user's experience prices can range from $20-35 a 1/4. but if you're paying more than $30 for schwag, either you're getting totally hosed or you're just really desperate.
mids=anything better than schwag, but not dank, mids usually go for $45-65. anything over that and you're totally getting ripped off.
dank=nugs(nuggets)=cryppy=kb(kind bud)=skunk. this goes for usually NO LESS than $100 a sack and can go upward into the hundreds, depending on the strain. you might hear terms or people saying, "50/100," or "55/110" or "60/120". that's just a faster way to know whether or not the dealer would sell 1/8 a sack, and what the cost is. at least in my experiences, here and places i've lived/visited throughout the southeast, that's how things work.
also, just to add some more flavor...we use such terms as "shitty schwag", "good regs", and "shitty mids". shitty schwag is obviously crap, but sometimes good regs can beat shitty mids, if you don't want to pay the price difference. the only difference in the regs/mids is the color. some bright-ass regs would definitely be more appealing than less-bright mids.
"Damn, nigga, where'd you go to, Weed College?"
(from Half-Baked)

Texas here.
Me and my buddies call weed one of 3 things: 1)schwag 2)fire 3)dro
Schwag is the nasty stuff. Lot's of seeds and stems. Brown and green in color. Hard and crunchy from being packed into bricks in mexico and cooked in the mexican sun for a while before getting here. 50 to 60 bucks for an ounce.
Fire is the good shit. Still regular ole weed, not hydroponically grown or anything. But it's prettier, tastes better, and get's ya higher. More green color, sometimes some pretty red hairs. Usually a little fresher, too. This goes for 60 to 120 for an ounce. Kind bud falls into this category.
Dro is short for Hydro. This is refering to the pretty little buds caked in white crystals that smells like a christmas tree. We try to get it as directly from the grower as possible. Most of the people I've come in contact with that are growers don't like to sell in quantity. Grams and eighth ounce divisions are all you can get. 20 to 25 bucks for a gram, 60 to 75 for an eighth. People that will sell quarters and ounces are out there, but I find they usualy don't have the most potent strains. It's still good weed, but not like the exotic stuff the other guys grow. If you find ounces they go for anywhere from 350 to 600 bucks.
There's more, but that's what me and my friends use on a day to day basis. Well, that's what we would say IF we smoked marijuana. Of course non of us would do something ILLEGAL like smoke marijuana ;) hehehe