Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member

Lewis County Sheriff’s Office warns of fentanyl hidden in dollar bills

Sam Kirk
WBOY (Clarksburg, WV)
14 Jul 2022

Excerpt:
The Lewis County Sheriff’s Office posted a public service announcement on its Facebook page Tuesday, warning the public of a dangerous drug in a place you might not think to look.

Nationwide, people are hiding fentanyl folded up dollar bills, according to the post. The sheriff’s department called the practice an “attack on the public,” and said that if you see money on the ground that is folded precisely, use great caution and contact local law enforcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not the only news story or location, there are several similar stories around the US of people picking up random dollar bills off the ground and overdosing on fentanyl.

It's likely not intentional or some fucked up murderous johnny apple seed, it's probably drug dealers or users using the dollar bill as a makeshift baggie to carry around their fent, then leaving it on the ground for whatever reason. That makes sense, as having a folded up bill in your pocket is less conspicuous than having a clear baggie with powder in it.

Think twice about picking up random dollar bills on the ground...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was skeptical, too.

But honestly the idea of people hiding their drugs inside of a folded dollar bill sounds quite plausible to me.
I have never hidden drugs in a dollar bill and never heard of anyone hiding drugs in a dollar bill. I call bullshit. Maybe a one-off situation, but not a nationwide hazard.

I have never hidden drugs in a dollar bill and never heard of anyone hiding drugs in a dollar bill. I call bullshit. Maybe a one-off situation, but not a nationwide hazard.

I've spent time dealing in very controlled environments, such as a rehab boarding school when I was younger (which had tons of security looking for drugs, under constant surveillance). I've thought up all sorts of ideas, but the best always involve removing any sort of baggie from the situation.

I used to carry around drugs simply palming it in my hand (doesn't work with powder). Or just put a small rock into each baggy cargo pocket.

I would also have an empty McDonalds cup, bent in half looking like a piece of trash on the ground and stash my drugs in there taped to the side.

They tend to ignore commonplace insignificant objects like that.

Honestly carrying around a small amount of powder inside a folded up bill is fairly decent stealth. Just wad up some money in your pocket. If cops search you they'll just pull out your money and place it on the car, but they typically won't search the money itself. Once they find nothing on you, they give you the money back.

That's my thinking here, and why I think this might be somewhat credible.

Just thinking like a druggy lol

I don’t doubt that some people use dollar bills to conceal carry their drugs, I’m sure it happens here and there. I used to buy brick weed sold in torn up pieces if a plastic grocery bag, dollar bill ain’t much worse than that

But I do doubt that it is a health risk to pick up such a dollar bill. As SJB noted, an overdose from merely touching fent just doesn’t happen

But if everyone is so concerned, please leave the money on the ground. Better chance I’ll find it then !

This is not the only news story or location, there are several similar stories around the US of people picking up random dollar bills off the ground and overdosing on fentanyl.

It's likely not intentional or some fucked up murderous johnny apple seed, it's probably drug dealers or users using the dollar bill as a makeshift baggie to carry around their fent, then leaving it on the ground for whatever reason. That makes sense, as having a folded up bill in your pocket is less conspicuous than having a clear baggie with powder in it.

Think twice about picking up random dollar bills on the ground...
Lets call that a poisoning. Not an overdose..

I've heard of people using dollar bills to snort drugs but never using a bill as a bindle.

How is that possible because fentanyl does not pass through intact skin?
Licking Fingers Nick Scarpino GIF by Kinda Funny

I don't really think you get that much transfer. And you have to put them right into your mouth after you touch the dollar bill or else it's going to transfer everywhere else. And it's going to be so diluted, you're not even going to be able to tell.
I agree the story is dubious, but stranger things have happened.

I’ve seen a couple videos of cops supposedly falling out after just picking up a bag of fent or touching it. Makes no sense to me , hard to believe they would act it out in a skit on camera though.