Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Shelter director: 'Spice' is the most vexing drug Skid Row has seen

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Shelter director: 'Spice' is the most vexing drug Skid Row has seen
April 24 2016

The synthetic drug 'spice' is responsible for some of the most disturbing behavior Skid Row has seen, according to Union Rescue Mission CEO Andy Bales, who has worked in the area for over a decade.

Between Friday and Saturday, 10 people, including a police officer, were treated for likely overdoses of the drug. (The officer was treated after inhaling noxious fumes at the scene). All are expected to recover, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Bales said he witnessed one of the first such ODs right in front of the shelter before leaving work Friday.

"The person was writhing in the driveway and flipping into traffic and blocking traffic and nearly getting run over," Bales said.

He added that he's seen the effects of spice — a synthetic form of marijuana — for years, and that its been quietly taking a heavy toll on the neighborhood.

continued http://www.scpr.org/news/2016/04/24/59940/shelter-director-spice-is-the-most-vexing-drug-ski/

He added that he's seen the effects of spice — a synthetic form of marijuana — for years, and that its been quietly taking a heavy toll on the neighborhood.

continued http://www.scpr.org/news/2016/04/24/59940/shelter-director-spice-is-the-most-vexing-drug-ski/

it's almost offensive when that Frankenstein's monster of a drug gets mentioned in the same sentence as marijuana, one of the greatest mind-altering substances in existence IMO

Maybe JWH-018 was somewhat comparable but the "spice" that exists today? Fuck, I wouldn't smoke that shit if it were given to me for free. And that's saying something.

twas addicted for about 6 mos. nasty addiction. dat colorado kronic among others. the scooby snax gave me a seizure. helluva drug and i do lots.

dont do spice kids. it brings the FEAR.

dont do spice kids. it brings the FEAR.

Personally after JWH-018 was made illegal I only tried one other type once and it was terrible. I now have a rule about doing random RCs just because they exist. I refuse to be the one that hears a decade down the road that it destroys your kidneys or something.

Between Friday and Saturday, 10 people, including a police officer, were treated for likely overdoses of the drug. (The officer was treated after inhaling noxious fumes at the scene). All are expected to recover, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Thats kinda strange though, what concentration was the smoke at in order to get someone high from passive inhaling? Probably just didnt want to work that day or something.

it's almost offensive when that Frankenstein's monster of a drug gets mentioned in the same sentence as marijuana, one of the greatest mind-altering substances in existence IMO

Maybe JWH-018 was somewhat comparable but the "spice" that exists today? Fuck, I wouldn't smoke that shit if it were given to me for free. And that's saying something.

Everyone needs to be real here, for 99.9% of people it wasn't bad until the DEA saw one or two news stories about some dumb high school kid dying from a bad reaction and freaked the FUCK out and made the popular ones S1. People and manufacturers were forced to different substances and the users were forced down to a few bad choices rather than the dozens of easily researchable (though not necessarily well scientifically researched) choices which had, for the most part, seemed pretty safe.

Now shit is getting scheduled as soon as it can pop up, so manufacturers are making whatever the hell they can sell. Plenty of it is probably just expensive poison.

We all know people are generally better off sticking to real cannabis, but there will always be people trying licit cannabinoids and other compounds. Whether it's because they somehow have a preconceived notion that it's safe because it's not illegal, or it's easier to obtain, or whatever, people will try it. That said, I'm going to go out on a limb and say 95%+ of drug laws only cause more harm than good. Be that: forcing people to new drugs that immediately cause cancer but nobody knows it, putting people in jail for life because they wanted control over what's in their body, or anything between, the major point to bring home is that banning substances does ZERO net good for the world.

banning substances does ZERO net good for the world.

I totally get your logic.....but don't you think that if oxycodone was available at walmart we would have a much greater amount of opiate addicts? The answer is yes. Certain things should be banned, crack for example. there is no reason to have crack be legal, it wouldn't help society much and saying that there would be the same amount of addicts if it were legal is just biased. pure fentanyl should not be freely sold to every tom dick and harry.

weed should absolutely be legal to avoid this spice problem.....and it practically is in terms of availability, social acceptane. And is a very functional drug (people can lead productive lives while using it).

drug legality is a no win situation. damned if you do damned if you don't. Making "harder" drugs like meth legal for example, is an iffy thing to do.

I'm waiting till they rewrite the laws so that even RCs are illegal. They would just make it illegal to possess anything that fucks you up, even if you were the first one to ever discover it....something tells me that this will be the governments response instead of making drugs legal....they just love war too much to swing the other way...including drug wars

I totally get your logic.....but don't you think that if oxycodone was available at walmart we would have a much greater amount of opiate addicts? The answer is yes. Certain things should be banned, crack for example. there is no reason to have crack be legal, it wouldn't help society much and saying that there would be the same amount of addicts if it were legal is just biased. pure fentanyl should not be freely sold to every tom dick and harry.

weed should absolutely be legal to avoid this spice problem.....and it practically is in terms of availability, social acceptane. And is a very functional drug (people can lead productive lives while using it).

drug legality is a no win situation. damned if you do damned if you don't. Making "harder" drugs like meth legal for example, is an iffy thing to do.

I'm waiting till they rewrite the laws so that even RCs are illegal. They would just make it illegal to possess anything that fucks you up, even if you were the first one to ever discover it....something tells me that this will be the governments response instead of making drugs legal....they just love war too much to swing the other way...including drug wars
They are legalizing hard drugs now though in the US out west small amounts decriminalized. The govt will never be able to keep up with RC designers lol good luck what are they going to do turn this into an Equilibrium society we can only take the drug the corrupt govt permits us to hah

Fascinating history of Skid Row

I can't believe Spice caused more probs than the typical hard drugs they use on them streets!

All I needed to see was "Hotel Cecil" and that about sums it up. lol
But I had some very sucked up experiences on spice where I event went into some kinda psychotic episode(s). After episode 2 that was a wrap... none o' that.

They are legalizing hard drugs now though in the US out west small amounts decriminalized. The govt will never be able to keep up with RC designers lol good luck what are they going to do turn this into an Equilibrium society we can only take the drug the corrupt govt permits us to hah

Fascinating history of Skid Row

I can't believe Spice caused more probs than the typical hard drugs they use on them streets!

Reply to an old post of mine. I said crack shouldn't be legal. I kinda have evolved and think every thing (so crack) should be legal now except fent sold to the public.

Reply to an old post of mine. I said crack shouldn't be legal. I kinda have evolved and think every thing (so crack) should be legal now except fent sold to the public.
I mean if Heroin and Oxys and Morphine were legal, who would want to use Fentanyl anyway?
With all drugs being legal, Fent would go back to being used for medical purposes only.

As horrible as a drug spice or fent are, there will still be users / is a market for them. You know, the end of the line addiction and so on.

Tfw, Im a criminal because Im buying opiate addiction medication that I can shoot up :reggae: :rolleyes: