Positive Share Something Positive About Your Day vs This Does Not Suck (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)?

Thanks man. Every time I really fiend, I think of how proud my Sister sounded for me quitting on the phone and the craving really dies down. A cig is not worth it.
Over 18 years the longest I've been without nicotine was 7 days. I was over the withdrawal and like an idiot got back into it.

I really do hate nicotine it's such a subtle yet destructive habit. Shit doesn't even get you that high it's hard to explain why I (and so many others) are addicted to the point we're going to die/get cancer. Fuck that shit. Shit drug/habit.

Over 18 years the longest I've been without nicotine was 7 days. I was over the withdrawal and like an idiot got back into it.

I really do hate nicotine it's such a subtle yet destructive habit. Shit doesn't even get you that high it's hard to explain why I (and so many others) are addicted to the point we're going to die/get cancer. Fuck that shit.

Yeah, it's definitely a dumb habit. Mind you, I'm not nicotine free (using patch/gum), but I'm going to start cutting down the nicotine intake soon too, feel ready. Might even just try and cold turkey it and get some regular gum as a placebo...

Was smoking for 16 years myself and the longest I managed was a week too. Not a crazy heavy smoker though, like 10/day... maybe a pack if I was doing stims. My only advice is to be really all in when you decide to quit. I wasn't like "maybe I'll manage a month" or anything, just done, over it and getting nothing but a lighter wallet, stained teeth and reduced vascular function for something I get nothing but fleeting pleasure from. Also, I've grown quite attached to my dick and I want it to still work properly in like 10 years. I just felt ready and 30 y/o seemed like as good a demarcation point as any :)

You can totally do it, but on your terms, when you're ready. Still early days for me too.

Yeah, it's definitely a dumb habit. Mind you, I'm not nicotine free (using patch/gum), but I'm going to start cutting down the nicotine intake soon too, feel ready. Might even just try and cold turkey it and get some regular gum as a placebo...

Was smoking for 16 years myself and the longest I managed was a week too. Not a crazy heavy smoker though, like 10/day... maybe a pack if I was doing stims. My only advice is to be really all in when you decide to quit. I wasn't like "maybe I'll manage a month" or anything, just done, over it and getting nothing but a lighter wallet, stained teeth and reduced vascular function for something I get nothing but fleeting pleasure from. Also, I've grown quite attached to my dick and I want it to still work properly in like 10 years. I just felt ready and 30 y/o seemed like as good a demarcation point as any :)

You can totally do it, but on your terms, when you're ready. Still early days for me too.

I need to switch to gum again. When I try to quit I go from vaping/smoking -> oral dip tobacco -> gum nicotine. It's not that hard. Going completely off of it is so hard psychologically. Patches never worked for me, though (psychologically).

Again, proud of you man I'm over here smoking a pack a day because my vape broke and I'm too poor to buy a new one. I hate cigarettes so much. Vaping 50mg/ml salt nic is WAYYY more addictive than cigarettes. At least I'm off that(?) but fuck cigarettes I feel so unhealthy and can't smoke any weed without coughing my lungs out

I need to switch to gum again. When I try to quit I go from vaping/smoking -> oral dip tobacco -> gum nicotine. It's not that hard. Going completely off of it is so hard psychologically. Patches never worked for me, though (psychologically).

Again, proud of you man I'm over here smoking a pack a day because my vape broke and I'm too poor to buy a new one. I hate cigarettes so much. Vaping 50mg/ml salt nic is WAYYY more addictive than cigarettes. At least I'm off that(?) but fuck cigarettes I feel so unhealthy and can't smoke any weed without coughing my lungs out

Yeah, the patch seems to work decently for me and the gum is really just for the oral fixation (insert joke here). But it really is just the habit. Maybe you can get some vape juice with progressively lower nicotine until you're at zero? That has worked for some friends of mine. I'm basically just using the gum as my new "fix" and then going to start using regular gum instead, then start cutting the patch into pieces I think. Or I'll just try and deal cold turkey. Haven't decided yet.

Yeah, the patch seems to work decently for me and the gum is really just for the oral fixation (insert joke here). But it really is just the habit. Maybe you can get some vape juice with progressively lower nicotine until you're at zero? That has worked for some friends of mine. I'm basically just using the gum as my new "fix" and then going to start using regular gum instead, then start cutting the patch into pieces I think. Or I'll just try and deal cold turkey. Haven't decided yet.

Yup for me I'd say about 90% of the addiction is physiological (wrong word?) habit. The hand to mouth, the chewing and spitting. Getting that buzz after eating, getting that buzz when you wake up. That buzz is VERY WEAK. Even a hardcore nicotine addict can go quite a while before craving if they don't encounter any "cues" that trigger them. Suddenly cues become everything and you're smoking all day long after every event. Definitely a mostly psychological habit IMO.

Yup for me I'd say about 90% of the addiction is physiological (wrong word?) habit. The hand to mouth, the chewing and spitting. Getting that buzz after eating, getting that buzz when you wake up. That buzz is VERY WEAK. Even a hardcore nicotine addict can go quite a while before craving if they don't encounter any "cues" that trigger them. Suddenly cues become everything and you're smoking all day long after every event. Definitely a mostly psychological habit IMO.

I think prob the other way around is what you mean. So 90% psychological and the other 10% physiological. Anyhow, in your own time. I know when I was struggling with other addictions, stress etc it would have been much harder. Anyhow dude, best of luck with it! If you want to talk more about it, just PM me. I think we've maybe crapped up the gratefulness thread enough ;)

I passed my annual PhD candidature review today and had my scholarship extended for 12 more months while I finish writing up my dissertation. This was a bit remarkable because I have not actually thought about my PhD for at least 3 months, the review started in a language other than English, I’ve only had about 5 hours sleep in the last 72 hours, and I was entirely naked from the waist down during the zoom meeting because immediately prior to the allotted time I’d been vigorously thinking very non-academic thoughts.

I’m so happy to discover that my memory has not been entirely fucked by meth in the last year and that under pressure I can get my game on and be professional (notwithstanding the touching myself discreetly at one point).

Smiles, Being professional. Well I have at least three minutes before I have to secure another year of funding for my grueling dissertation work I’ll get back around to one of these months. Fk it I bet I can get off quick,

Successful is so much more enjoyable then professional. Nice work.

Last edited: