• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Sex drive

Brainfucked

Bluelighter
Hi there
I used to abuse mdma everyday for a year. I last took it nearly 7 years ago and when I woke up life wasn’t worth living for. I haven’t been the same since. Serious anxiety, depression, DP/DR and zero sex drive.
I have tried different approaches to help and nothing worked. A few months ago I started trying pharmaceuticals to help. I put that off so long because I wanted to try the natural path. I have a low tolerance to pharmaceuticals also. Small amounts of codeine landed me in hospital years ago when trying it for back pain. I recently found trazodone for my back works but does nothing for my sex drive. I have read that bupropion can help but most the reviews are scary and doesn’t seem worth it. What else would I be able to try? I have read low dose ketamine can help but don’t know if that would be good for my head and doesn’t seem like a long term fix. Does anyone have Adderall experience or anything else that could work?
I really appreciate you reading this and any replies I get. Thank you

When you say zero sex drive, you mean that you have zero interest in sex right? Does the equipment still work correctly or are you having erectile issues (assuming you are a man, apologies if not).

Have you had a checkup at the doctors yet where they do blood tests and verify everything is ok?

How is your health, diet, sleep, etc? Try to exercise regularly, get yourself at a good weight (not over or under weight) eat well, sleep well, etc

Bupropion may help, a lot of those scary stories you read are from a small minority of people making a big fuss about their issues. There are many many people using it without issue, vast majority of people do not have extreme scary reactions to it. If you find it's not working or you don't like the side effects then stop taking it, no big deal. Bupropion is not a big commitment like traditional antidepressants like SSRIs are.

However, bupropion may not be such a good idea for you if you are dealing with a lot of anxiety. It is stimulating and can worsen anxiety in some people. This is not a given, though. My mom, for example, deals with a lot of anxiety yet she was still able to get significant from relief from bupropion for her depression and she says it does not make her anxiety worse. In fact she says she feels better from the relief from her depression that the anxiety is much easier to cope with now. Ymmv.

Stimulants are a bad idea. They will likely help with sex drive but considering your anxiety and depression then it's probably a bad idea to use them especially considering your past mdma abuse. This is a really bad idea, likely using stimulants to help with sex drive is only going to make matters worse in the long run and is also going to put you at risk for addiction.

It's best not to try and self medicate. Get yourself to a doctor, discuss all your problems (lack of sex drive, anxiety, depression, etc) with them and they will likely order blood work/tests and then help you find a solution. They may also offer a referral to a therapist or psychiatrist which is probably not a bad idea to consider...

When you say zero sex drive, you mean that you have zero interest in sex right? Does the equipment still work correctly or are you having erectile issues (assuming you are a man, apologies if not).

Have you had a checkup at the doctors yet where they do blood tests and verify everything is ok?

How is your health, diet, sleep, etc? Try to exercise regularly, get yourself at a good weight (not over or under weight) eat well, sleep well, etc

Bupropion may help, a lot of those scary stories you read are from a small minority of people making a big fuss about their issues. There are many many people using it without issue, vast majority of people do not have extreme scary reactions to it. If you find it's not working or you don't like the side effects then stop taking it, no big deal. Bupropion is not a big commitment like traditional antidepressants like SSRIs are.

However, bupropion may not be such a good idea for you if you are dealing with a lot of anxiety. It is stimulating and can worsen anxiety in some people. This is not a given, though. My mom, for example, deals with a lot of anxiety yet she was still able to get significant from relief from bupropion for her depression and she says it does not make her anxiety worse. In fact she says she feels better from the relief from her depression that the anxiety is much easier to cope with now. Ymmv.

Stimulants are a bad idea. They will likely help with sex drive but considering your anxiety and depression then it's probably a bad idea to use them especially considering your past mdma abuse. This is a really bad idea, likely using stimulants to help with sex drive is only going to make matters worse in the long run and is also going to put you at risk for addiction.

It's best not to try and self medicate. Get yourself to a doctor, discuss all your problems (lack of sex drive, anxiety, depression, etc) with them and they will likely order blood work/tests and then help you find a solution. They may also offer a referral to a therapist or psychiatrist which is probably not a bad idea to consider...

Thanks for your reply?
If I quit weed for a month or so and then smoke again it works perfect for a few days then goes back to normal. I have little interest most the time. But even when I am in the mood it doesn’t work properly. But I never get an intense feeling of wanting sex like I used to.

I’m not smoking weed at the minute. But that is the only drug I have taken in 7 years. My diet is good the only thing I could improve on is exercise. But with my scoliosis and degenerative disks it’s difficult. I used to go cycling a while ago for a couple months and just ignored the pain. It made me feel a bit better but didn’t have much effect on my mind and didn’t help in the bedroom at all.

I’ve just started taping off trazodone even though it helps my back. It made my sex drive even worse makes me feel numb.

The only time I’m good in the bedroom is when I’ve been off weed for a while and I start smoking again but it only lasts days.

Ok, sounds like mostly the problem is lack of drive/interest. The best recommendation we can give you is to talk to your doctor. There are some things that need to be checked and we can't do that for you - only a doctor will.

I'm curious, what do you mean by this?
Brianfucked said:
But even when I am in the mood it doesn’t work properly

What doesn't work properly? You have trouble getting and/or maintaining an erection? It doesn't feel good? You can't orgasm?

Also, you said you haven't used any drugs in a long time besides marijuana. How about medications? You did say you are taking trazadone, anything else? Some medications do have unwanted sexual side effects...

Regardless, the best advice I can give you is to tell you to talk to your doctor.