• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

self defense gun

Taurus PT 145 Millennium Pro .45 ACP pistol.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...74636/Taurus+1247459G212+247+45+G2+4.2"+12RSS$400.00

74636.jpg

I've used plenty of them in my day... (no shit huh!) and I'm still no fan of the pistol. Low powered, hard to aim pieces of crap IMO... of them, I like the glock line up best.

How about a selective fire rifle, or if not allowed, a semi-auto version of one? Something an AR, an AK, or even kick it old school with a FAL or M-14... yeah, it takes a bit of getting use to use them indoors effectively. But I've done it, and so have MILLIONS of soldiers in dozens of wars, you can too. Trust a 5.56, or hell, with the FAL a fucking 7.62x51 is a lot more sure to knock the fucker down than 9x19.

I've used plenty of them in my day... (no shit huh!) and I'm still no fan of the pistol. Low powered, hard to aim pieces of crap IMO... of them, I like the glock line up best.

How about a selective fire rifle, or if not allowed, a semi-auto version of one? Something an AR, an AK, or even kick it old school with a FAL or M-14... yeah, it takes a bit of getting use to use them indoors effectively. But I've done it, and so have MILLIONS of soldiers in dozens of wars, you can too. Trust a 5.56, or hell, with the FAL a fucking 7.62x51 is a lot more sure to knock the fucker down than 9x19.

Unfortunately almost every assault rifle is banned in Canada though i think a few may be legal. Your fucked if you get caught with say a ak-47 or a armalite. I think the ar-180b may be legal in Canada but do not quote me on that ffs. Also full autos are of course totally illegal but that's easy enough to fix if your willing to take the risk.

The m-14 looks like a fucking beast right enough and with .308 ammo it will certainly drop anything smaller then a elephant.

as a middle-class American pacifist, i'd ask the same questions. additionally, though a lock-box would be a safe place to keep it, i wonder how that's going to help you in a self-defense situation that i imagine to be usually unforeseen.

"excuse me Mr. Robber Rapist, you startled me by your ambush. do you mind holding off on your plans to commit a potentially violent crime against me for about 5 minutes? i need to get my key to my lock-box, unlock my lock-box and retrieve the gun i intend to protect myself with."

I think it depends on the size of your place & how easily it would be to retrieve your gun. If I lived in a two story house with my bedroom on the second floor and some sort of alarm/dog it's going to take the intruder some time to get to you... especially if you store your gun in a keyless locking device (i.e. mechanical or combo box) under your bed.

"Self defense" and "gun" sounds like An oxymoron to me. Surely the use of any weapon suddenly becomes offensive.

Unfortunately almost every assault rifle is banned in Canada though i think a few may be legal. Your fucked if you get caught with say a ak-47 or a armalite. I think the ar-180b may be legal in Canada but do not quote me on that ffs. Also full autos are of course totally illegal but that's easy enough to fix if your willing to take the risk.

The m-14 looks like a fucking beast right enough and with .308 ammo it will certainly drop anything smaller then a elephant.

Yes, selective fire rifles are not for the public here. Never the less, you can have semi only AR with plugged up mag, or ditto m-14, FAL, hell, even a Garand or a $139.00 SKS offer far superior incapacitation power than your typical pistol.

You probably don't need the automatic fire anyways... its not all that commonly used. In a home defense scenario, you don't need to be sending 17 wildly off target 7.62x51's ripping though the next 5 apartments.

We don't have the right to bear arms here in the uk and we manage just fine. And yes, criminals do carry guns here. If someone comes into your house with a gun...run? Why put yourself at further risk by attempting a shoot out with a person who probably has more experience using weapons than you?

this is pretty disturbing: http://www.vpc.org/studies/myth.htm

In 1998, for every time a woman used a handgun to kill a stranger in self-defense, 302 woman were murdered with a handgun.
Currently, only a small minority of adult American women own a handgun. Before a woman purchases a handgun for protection, she must pause to consider whether the grave risk—in 1998, a woman was 101 times more likely to be murdered with a handgun than to use a handgun to justifiably kill an attacker—is one she is willing to accept.

@caterva

I suppose in a society where guns are so common, compared with one in which they are quite rare, we are naturally going to have a different stance on this issue. From reading your post I can sympathise more with how different it must be for you guys with the constant worry of someone pulling a gun on you. I just don't like the idea of fighting violence with violence. Saying "we manage fine" was probably the wrong term to use. What I meant was that generally people don't keep guns in their homes over here, and if someone was to intrude with a gun, we don't have protection against it. I can't remember the last time I heard about someone being shot in their own home. Probably because it's rare for an intruder to carry a gun, but also because if they did, the victim would give in to the demands of the intruder to potentially save their own life. The way I see it, it would be more constructive to take the latter option and deal with the problem later, with the help of the police, rather than start a gun fight in your home.

for reliability id go with a revolver
maybe3 a taurus .357
as others have said, make sure you go to a range and train train train. having a gun of any sort is useless if you cant hit what youre shooting at.

as for everyone in here telling the op to not get a gun, hes already decided to get one. lets keep it on topic and keep your anti gun statements in another thread.

The most important advice I was ever given when it came to defending the home with a gun; If you're going to pull the trigger, shoot to kill.

Do not take that advice lightly or make me out to be some nut please. The logic is simple: If you are not in a situation where you need to kill the other person, there is no reason to pull the trigger. I'm not saying shoot everyone that might be a threat, I'm saying you better be damn sure they ARE a valid threat before you pull that trigger.

Do not entertain any fantasy about shooting someone in the leg or otherwise "disabling" them with a well placed shot. If you're going to shoot put the bullet at center mass and don't stop until the threat is no longer a threat.

I personally keep a shotgun for home defense as I don't care to go through the trouble associated with owning a handgun legally in my state. I also have a rifle which I use for "snakes and such" that could be used in a pinch. Thankfully I've never had a reason to use either on another person, but if someone broke in and was going to cause harm to my family I wouldn't think twice about doing what needs to be done.

Also note that I don't live in a city, or in apartments. There is little chance of any shots fired in my home going through a wall and injuring a by-stander. Which is actually part of the reason why I need a gun to defend my home. The average response time for the police/EMS is around 10-15 minutes on a good day.

Rangrz: I subscribe to the school of thought that a handgun is for shooting your way to the rifle you should have never left in the first place. I absolutely agree that handguns are underpowered and more difficult to aim, so when something goes bump I grab a Kalashnikov. With an OAL of 26" its plenty maneuverable enough indoors, and if a 7.62x39 round isn't enough to stop whatever made the bump, I'll just give it another shot (30 more shots, to be exact).

The problem with using a rifle in this scenario are, first and foremost, overpenetration. Using something in 5.56 diminishes this problem, but does not make it go away entirely; while I do love my DSA FAL, c'mon, you know a 7.62x51 round is literally overkill at contact range, and unnecessarily putting his neighbors at risk, and same would apply (to a slightly lesser extent) to my x39's if I lived in an apartment.

Another problem, one frequently overlooked, is just how loud rifles are indoors. Last time I discharged a rifle in an enclosed space w/o hearing protection I did some serious, permanent damage to my hearing (which I somehow failed to notice at the time), and that was only a few "intermediate" rounds- I don't even want to imagine what the effects of 20rd's of .308 would have done.

I'm basing my suggestion of my years of service in the armed forces and having been there, done that, got the tee shirt in FIBUA. Yeah, a 7.62x51 is a bit on the over kill side... but I was also suggesting it because there are inexpensive, civilian legal variants of military pattern rifles commonly chambered in it.

I prefer the intermediate rounds 0 to 300 meters. I'd ideally suggest high end AR, but that might not be a feasible suggestion.

Just some food for thought on using a handgun vs a rifle or shotgun for this purpose: What do the professionals use? What has the military, with all its experience and funding into study arrived at? Well, tbh, most troops in CDN forces are not even issued a side arm. What do police tactical teams use? Think they might have a bit of relevant experience in the matter?

Over penetration is less of an issue than many people think. The round well tend fragment apart and yaw off and quickly quench it self after hitting something, further, what are the REAL odds another person is in your line of fire at that moment?

Eh, I've fired intermediate and full power rifle indoors many many rounds, its bloody loud, sure, but did not cause me any hearing damage, and given this would be a life/death situation, I think the advantages of the rifle outweigh its disadvantage.

Yes, selective fire rifles are not for the public here. Never the less, you can have semi only AR with plugged up mag, or ditto m-14, FAL, hell, even a Garand or a $139.00 SKS offer far superior incapacitation power than your typical pistol.

You probably don't need the automatic fire anyways... its not all that commonly used. In a home defense scenario, you don't need to be sending 17 wildly off target 7.62x51's ripping though the next 5 apartments.

I had no idea you could buy a ar legally in Canada except for a very few exceptions that where utterly retarded. Not much difference between a ar-180b (except maybe the price) and a ar-15 that both go to semi-auto since they both use the same damn rounds. So yeah Canadian gun laws are abit retarded and ya automatic fire in certainly

Yeah Ive only fired a pistol once which was a .357 mag so i wouldn't even think about trying to defend myself with one of those fuckers. Since we live in Canada and not say Liberia the chances of you ever having to use a gun for home protection is slim to none. Most burglars even in the roughest areas usually don't carry anything other then a knife so they'd quickly drop the thing if you pointed the gun at them or if you cracked there head open with a bat or something like it. Also in Canada you had better make damn sure that you need to kill the bastard if you do it cause if it won't stand up in court you are fucked. Ive known people who have gotten arrested for just giving a robber a few punches let alone using lethal force. So one has use lethal force only when needed as opposed to being one of those morons in certain states who shoot people for just being on their lawn. Paranoid fuck wits :p . Sorry gun's don't lengthen the size of your cock but they can sure make your prison sentence alot longer :\

As for worrying about killing your neighbors that would be a problem especially in a apartment complex. Id bet even a .22 would go right into the next room in most apartment complexes. My acquaintance stupidly fired a .303 right through the floor of his 3 story house and the damn thing didn't stop until it hit concrete in the basement. In that respect i would also like to remind people that handling a fire arm while intoxicated is a big no no. Your much more likely to hit everything including yourself besides your target if your drunk or fucked up to the point where your coordination is off on benzos, opiates or whatever. So yeah 151 rum+Valium+fire arms equals a hole through your floor as well as through the brand new couch that you just paid for :\

Also having a door that is hard to beat down and will make one hell of a noise if someone tries will also buy you some time and might prevent the whole situation from happening in the first place. Burglars especially if they don't know what value the things are in the house always go for easy targets. Chances are if they are willing to use a battering ram to beat down a steel door then you probably have something in your house that makes it worth robbing.

you can get civil variant AR-15, semi only, 5 round magazine limit, in Canada if you hold a restricted wpns permit... google marstar, they sell em.

you can get civil variant AR-15, semi only, 5 round magazine limit, in Canada if you hold a restricted wpns permit... google marstar, they sell em.

Ah gotcha. I don't think i even know anyone who has ever gotten a restricted weapons permit and with a 5 round limit to the mag i would be better off with the shotgun anyway.