• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Selegiline (l-deprenyl) - too good to be true?

It is available on the PBS, but *only* if you have Parkinson's. i.e. its restricted.

Full cost in Australia isn't all that much, about $57 for 100 x 5 mg tablets. That's still cheaper than ordering it from any site overseas.

I have a question for you again nanobrain (if you're still around) : you mentioned in a previous post that you have had telepathic experiences that were bi-directional, i.e send/receive. How would this be possible unless the recipient also had telepathic abilities.....if you know what Im getting at?

VelocideX : Aside from the obvious dis-advantage of having to fork out extra cash for Deprenyl online, do you know if there will be any other problems? Im talking about customs etc...

Strictly speaking (by law) you are required to have an Australian doctors prescription to order stuff from overseas...

...in practice, customs does not concern itself with enforcement of anything other than the customs laws. You are breaking the law, and if the police or TGA catch you doing it you're liable... in practice, they never do.

I will point out that you ARE breaking the law by doing this, and so I cannot condone this as a moderator. Whilst the chance of getting caught is low, it does exist. Order at your own peril.

I should point out the more you order, the more likely you are to get caught. No-one knows, to the best of my knowledge, if customs maintains a database of what you order.

I am aware of at least one person who has been charged as a result of importing too much...

Last edited:
POISONS AND THERAPEUTIC GOODS ACT 1966 (NSW) - SECT 16
Offences relating to prescribed restricted substances
16 Offences relating to prescribed restricted substances

(1) A person shall not have in his or her possession or attempt to obtain possession of a prescribed restricted substance unless:
(a) the person is a medical practitioner, pharmacist, dentist or veterinary surgeon, and the person obtains possession or attempts to obtain possession of it in the lawful practice of the person’s profession as such,
(a1) the person is a nurse practitioner who is authorised under section 17A to possess the substance and the person obtains possession or attempts to obtain possession of it in the lawful practice of his or her profession,
(b) the person obtains possession or attempts to obtain possession of it on and in accordance with the prescription of a medical practitioner, nurse practitioner, dentist or veterinary surgeon for its supply to the person,
*snip*
Maximum penalty:
(a) for an offence relating to a prescribed restricted substance that is an anabolic or androgenic steroidal agent, 20 penalty units or imprisonment for 2 years, or both, and
(b) for an offence relating to a prescribed restricted substance other than an anabolic or androgenic steroidal agent, 20 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months, or both.

NB: 20 penalty units = $2200 currently

Man, thats a bit of wake up call. I figured the worst they could do if there was a problem is consfiscate the product before it arrives.......but a possible 6 mnths in prison!

Like you say though, a slim chance of that happening, but would still make for a slightly nervous couple of wks waiting for it to arrive. F*cking annoying really as Im really only interested in the potential nootropic effects.

I'll point out that's the maximum sentence.
In reality you'd probably get a fine as its a first offence (they're not required to put you in jail... in fact the crimes (sentencing & procedures) act in NSW specifies that if a magistrate or judge is to impose a sentence of 6 months or less they have to provide specific reasons why they do not think a fine is appropriate.

you're more likely to have it confiscated and be sent a warning letter, IF they do anything. Most people get theirs fine, and it has "opened and inspected by australian customs" stickers on it, meaning they've cleared it.

It's only if you start ordering heaps of it or if you order more than 3 month supply at once that they'll probably take issue with it. Enforcing the criminal legislation is not customs job, its the NSW police's... so they'd have to refer it on etc, gets to be an administrative nightmare...

all im saying is that its possible, but unlikely.

Just wanna add to the thread that, while I was using 10mg of selegiline/day, I had terrible MDMA experience. Dizziness, loss of vision, no euphoria, overally very bad experience. I wouldnt suggest using both at once.
Amphetamines and cocaine on the other hand work OK with selegiline.
Just my 2 cents.

dude, 10 mg per day, you might be lucky you survived, cause at that dose during a prolonged time i believe mao selectivity is lost, leading to a massive blocking of mdma metabolism.

I have a question, does selegiline cause dopamine receptor downregulation? I'd suppose so since it blocks reuptake and thereby causes receptors to experience more stimulation .. so perhaps the wisest thing if taking it for mood lift would be to cycle it?

Whether MAO selectivity is lost is a very interesting question. It's hard to determine in an individual due to variation in enzyme production, but also because most of the studies are done with elderly people.

Most resources say that MAO selectivity is lost somewhere around 15-20mg per day.

The manufacturers recently revised their opinion due to a few (less than 5, i believe) documented cases of tyramine induced hypertension in patients taking 10mg/day.

It's worth remembering that MAO-B levels rise as we age (indeed MAO-B is not present in early foetuses), meaning that increased dosing is possible...

I'm intending to start a course of 15mg/week soon (5mg sunday, tuesday, thursday) and see how that goes.

If no effect after two weeks I'll increase to 5mg, 4x a week

stz - I agree that dopamine receptor downregulation is likely. MAO-B does not trigger the homeostatic mechanisms as rapidly as, say, amphetamine (possibly because amphetamine causes a substantial increase in cortisol levels? not much is really known about this AFAIK), but anecdotal evidence (check out the selegiline section on www.erowid.org ) suggests that for the first few days a stimulant effect manifests, which then subsides, implying downregulation.

stz - also, its not the MDMA metabolism thats the problem, its the metabolism of serotonin (absence of metabolism - serotonin syndrome), and the metabolism of noradrenaline (absence of metabolism - hypertensive crisis)

yea i forgot.. anyway, it puzzles me that the massive serotonin exposure caused by MDMA itself is not enough to cause serotonin syndrome,, how come it needs something to block the metabolism until it becomes dangerous?

^^ It's hard to say, but my personal thoughts are that the serotonin syndrome manifests only when such high serotonin levels are held for an extended period.... MDMA inevitably stops working due to serotonin depletion.... but drugs which block the metabolism of serotonin could, in theory, keep serotonin levels high for hours....

people who experience serotonin syndrome often feel euphoric etc for the first few hours, but slowly their condition changes... their body cannot deal with the sustained elevation in temperature, their organs start to break down etc....

it also may be due to the differing distribution of serotonin in the brain that each drug causes, due to the differential distributions of MAO-A etc...

so the possible damage resulting from serosyndrome is caused by elevated temperature for an extended amount of time in every case?

It's hard to say as its hard to do research on serotonin syndrome... you cant exactly give it to people and study it. But prolonged elevation of temperature and changes in blood chemistry do seem to be part of it.

The people who end up worst off from it *seem* to be the ones who have it for the longest
period, which inevitably involves irreversible MAOIs.

MDMA is a self-limiting form of serotonin syndrome in many senses.

My deprenyl turned up today in the mail :)
Yay

Took 5 mg straight after breakfast... felt a bit different, hard to describe the feeling....

took 1000mg DL-Phenylalanine, but unfortunately with lunch (didn't have time this morning to take it... had to vote, and do things for parents :p)

Just had lunch, tempted to try another 5mg

^^ VelocideX can you keep us updated? I shall be ordering some fairly soon. Of the nootropics Ive tried Im most concerned about deprenyl due to the possibilty of bad reactions with mdma. Not that Im going to do anything stupid, but the consequences of eating a couple of pills after a few too many beers becomes more serious. Just on that note....is there any known effects combined with alcohol?

PS. Dont forget to look out for any increase in telepathic abilities ;)

^hheh, to clarify, what i meant by usual bidirectional telepathy was in reference to specific temporary group constructs where members are, if you will, tuned to a certain frequency and the telepathic exchange is engaged in consiously by all participants.

w/selegeline, i was just on the receiving end.

although an interesting experimental setup is emerging already - dose 2 sensitives w/selegiline, throw them in a sensory isolation tank and see what happens ;-)

^^ Yep exactly. I didnt know it was a common practice in everyday life though (well I guess its probably not common).

Would like to see the results of that experiment.