• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Seasonal Depression!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter time in New England SUCKS! I do get the seasonal depression, and I have noticed it. But one thing I have noticed is that it's not that bad so far. Usually, I do rearrange my room. But I do this all the time. I write a lot more, and I find myself listening to more up beat music, not depressing music. I try to get out as much as I can. I ski, so I go up to Vermont as much as possible, but full time job and full time skool, I can't really that much this season. And I talk A LOT! Talking to people keeps my mind off of things. But that is pretty much it. I think I'm going to try some St. John's Wort. Hmph, we shall see. But I will be partying all the time! Woohoo.

it didnt even occur to me i could look on ebay to find a nice jacket. thanks!
^def check it out... designer lables, helllla cheap prices... for a labelwhore like myself, its a dream come true...
i would be so scared to drive in snow. i can barely stand driving in rain kuz i sorta plowed over a stopsign the first time i drove in rain... i dunno, the cold is jsut so threatening.. you could freeze to death in a matter of minutes, whereas it would take HOURS even in the arizona sun to really do yourself any damage...
ive never thought of the power going off from a snowstorm before, that would really not be cool... it goes off here for thunderstorms, but what causes it to go off because of the snow? i always thought it went off for thunder and lightning... does it lightning when it snows too? (<~plz dont think im stupid ive honest to god never seen it snow before!)

on a positive not about winter
*hot chocolate!
*cuddling!
*soup!
*$10 old navy polar fleeces!
*snowmen! (snow yes, but they still look fun!)

whoa.. i LOVE physics.. and
hearing oopsz talk about it like that.. gets me all...
uhmm, is it, like, REALLY hot in here?
i thought this was winter! ;)

ugh :( it just hit me today on the way home. its been so lovely out here. and then today i noticed that it was dark before 6pm... which has brought to my attention that it really is winter. i get bummed eaily in the winter, but this year its totally hit me hard.. and i feel yucky and icky and like crying just to cry and BLEHHHHH i just wish i could hibernate! or go to... jamaica or something...

I appreciate what winter has to offer, but do prefer the summer.
Maui - You beat me to it... light's can make a difference. I have a grow light that mimics well the sun. I also would recommend hitting a tanning salon every now and then. Not so much to get a tan as to just get a little sunshine. Course, taking a winter trip to Florida is always nice too.
Make the most of indoor activities. Go to lot's of parties. :D

i love the winter too. summer's ok ;p but i like the cold a lot more than all that heat and humidity that comes with the summer season. that's just me though :D

Hmm... I've never been inside a tanning bed, but I've always wondered in the middle of winter if it would make one FEEL better. Of course, I'd probably slather on some spf45 first. The tanning bed attendants would think I was a complete freak. But then I am ;)

^that hella made my day batty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that happened to me last winter, i wanted a tan so i wouldnt look pasty white and icky for my ex bfs little frat boy formal shit thing.... piad my 1/2 hour worth of tan, and then proceeded to slather spf 45 alll over me... not only did i get HELLA weird looks, but i also still got sunburned. goddamned being SO FREAKING WHITE! i burn w/ spf 45.
boo. i miss summer already :(

St. John's Wort is your best bet :)
The seasonal disorder is from lack of melatonin, that is produced from UV light.. which isn't as heavy as in summer do to the Earth's change in axis.
St. John's Wort, to my knowledge, produces this chemical. :) Stay outside as much as you can in the mornings/midday, and avoid anything that will make you feel worse, and its not that bad.
I have severe side-effects from my pre-existing depression during the winter. I "hibernate". That is not good. :)
Good luck to all seasonal sufferers.

Originally posted by jubzie:
i use a high-power full spectrum lightbox every morning. i also have full spectrum bulbs in all my lamps/fixtures. full spectrum light makes a world of difference.
This is used in common therapy for less severe cases of this disorder :)
The full spectrum gives you UV light, that you aren't getting from the sunlight that you are used to. Still not good for more severe cases, as it could be chemically causes too.. (mine wasn't bad in winter until i started rolling..)
Just thought I'd back this person up. I've considered this, myself. I've heard different stories, but some say it improves the condition 20-40%

Nice to be here :)
I may chill in here sometime.. intellegent conversation intrigues me more than sarcasm. :)

Id just like to say, this weekend was a great cure for any depression, even though it was cold :)
Im loving the responses everyone, lets fight this bastid depression!

Ahhkk ok so I'm not really depressed but I'm really dismayed by how early it gets dark. The day seems shot to hell by 5 o clock :(
beanrgrl~ how you doin in NC? Any snow?

i love winter!! :D thats when i get to wear all my stockings and pants, long skirtss and jackets, all my favorite boots!! i love my layers and i hate summer! its summer in australia now *cries* only 2 good reasons for sweating and one of em is dancing...the other is not just the heat ;)

Originally posted by beanergrl:
^^ me too. i'm afraid that the power could go out in a snowstorm and i'll freeze.does this stuff happen?
Haha, I am from Vancouver which only gets snow maybe 3 days/year, doesn't usually reach freezing. The night we moved 10 hours north, as soon as we finished moving our stuff inside, during a snowstorm, the coldest weather I had ever been in besides skiing, the power went out. We had only had the furnace on for about two hours because we just arrived. It was FREEZING. But the good part? We just took off all our clothes and climbed underneath a pile of blankets for an early bed.
You'll probably learn to love it. I think the most important thing to do is take advantage of the sunny days. Bundle up warm and play outside. We got ice skates for Christmas and I am disappointed because we are having record high temperatures here, so no outdoor skating yet.
There are so many winter sports, and you can rent the gear as well as buy. I CAN'T WAIT to go snow-shoeing! And do you know how quiet it is out when it is snowing? It's amazing.

^^^about the no heat, AHHHHHHHHHH!
the silence of the snow sounds beautiful though.i am sitting here visualizing it now. very peaceful.

i live in alaska. its winter here and it starts getting dark around 4pm.
im fucking depressed as hell.

Originally posted by cravNbeets:

warming up your cold hands on a warm body ;)

Agh!! I don't have a warm body to warm up my hands on! Where do I get one of those? Must check Ebay...
Dammit, I can't stand the winter. I'm thinking of tanning as well. I used to do that years ago and I really enjoyed it during the winter. It gets you nice and toasty and you stay warm for a long time afterwards, and then it's just nice to feel the warmth on your skin.
My problem is I can't stand the sun during the winter. It just pisses me off. It's like it's mocking me. It's all sunny, but it's still below freezing. I wish it could just be dark 24/7 and be done with it, rather than teasing me like this. I mean what's the point of about nine hours of bitterly cold sunshine?
Glad I'm not the only one who gets a case of the "blahs" during the winter. I've got so many things I want to do, but with this crappy weather (I'm in NY) all I want to do is sleep.
Plus I've been trying to lose weight and quit smoking, which is probably overdoing it. I should just fatten myself up so I can get through this winter and then deal with the other stuff once it warms up.
*goes to fix some hot soup and hot chocolate*
--C

Status
Not open for further replies.