• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

scattered scientific theories...??? (merged with: what's the speed of dark?)

ok this is more of a conspiracy theory
ecstasy makes u sterile.
anyway ecstasy makes u sterile as the constant body load that it puts on you to make u horny will eventullay make u sterile because your body cannot handle being so horny.
So how does this effect us?
Well the government has decided that raves aand electronic music are evil. And they know that MDMA makes you infertile, but are only so slight in stopping the flow into australia. Hence as far as i see the government lets some through customs because they are trying to sterilise the ravers/clubbers out there, so that we can't have babies and educate and take our kids to raves. so there will be no little ravers to follow in our footsteps. AND RAVES WILL DISAPPEAR FOREVER!! and everyone will have to go to pubs and bars, and the zanzibar (if u live in perth u know how shit that place is).
so what can we do about it? BOYCOT ecstacy my friends.....
BOYCOT it for YOUR children, and their children's children, and their childrens' childrens' children.
(na fuck it, i hate kids anyway)

^
|
|
|
Man, that is the worst theory ever. Even Oceanboy's beats it...
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by -Thoth (edited 15 June 2001).]

pundi: good work!!
smile.gif

unfortunately, after tossing it around (more like just tossing) in my head, i've decided that it probably won't work. here's why:
for buttered toast and cats to stay at rest, two equal and opposite forces have to be happening at the same time. taking the example of the cat, if there was only one force acting, say the repulsive force of its back to the earth, all cats would simply float upwards, expand and eventually create cute popping sounds which we all know to be not the case. this state of equilibrium is illustrated below: (note that the upward force mG is the contact force that counters its weight)
[edit: image removed by myself]
these two forces, F(feet) and F(back) act to create torque T to right the cat when it falls from height:
[edit: image removed by myself]
of course, following this hypothesis, if the cat were to be dropped with its back facing the ground at a perfectly perpendicular angle (under theoretical conditions), it would fail to right itself and very likely suffer some form of spinal trauma.
hence, it is likely that the forces involved in righting cats and toast only work to create the required torque and may not be utilised as generative forces.
however, there may be potential in exploiting these properties in aeronautics to provide stability in vessels like helicopters and submarines. simply butter the bottom of helicopters and in the case of submarines where butter may pose the problem of being washed off hence triggering protest from enviromental organisations, a number of cats equipped with pressure suits can be attached to the exterior, feet facing down, of course.
[This message has been edited by yaya (edited 14 November 2001).]

yaya: I congratulate you on exposing some problems with my theories, and on the drawings - they are simply world class (and have inspired me to improve mine..)
I had envisioned such problems with the cat-space vehicle, so on further consideration I put forward the following hypothesis:
The attractive force of the cats feet for the ground is greater than the force of the cats back that opposes the earth. This is even more likely when butter is applied to the cats feet.
IE: F(feet) > F(back)
In the situations you describe this stipulation would still be valid, although the torque would not be applied about the centre point of the cat.
If this is the case, a falling cat will experience a net force downwards greater than that if it was subjected only to gravity. Unfortunately I do not have a cat present to experiment on, so I suggest anyone with a cat handy do the following experiment:
1) Drop your cat from a height of 10m and record the time taken for it to hit the ground.
2) If the time taken is less than 1.02 seconds*, then my hypothesis is correct. If equal to then the opposing and attracting forces are equal. If greater than 1.02, then F(feet) < F(back).
3) Butter your cats feet and repeat.
If my theory is correct then cats are still a viable space transportation method.
They could be used during the second half of a space journey, as they would provide a positive motive force, attracting the vehicle to the desired planet.
One could argue that this would be pointless as the energy gained due to the cats positive force in the second half of the journey would be equal to the energy lost in the first half of the journey due to the opposing 'cat force'. This could be countered by buttering the cats feet at the midpoint of the journey, thus creating a nett gain.
I recognise that this theory is yet to be proved, and even if proved - the cat-space vehicle will only be viable for long distance journeys. I would be most grateful if someone could carry out the cat-drop experiment and return the results.
* 1.02 seconds is calculated using a standard gravitational force (9.6) and neglecting air-resistance.
------------------
:: This space for sale ::

As a member of the RSPCA I would like to advise that buttering cats feet and dropping them is not supported or recommended by the RSPCA. We much prefer you use Nutelex or another butter-like product that does not contain dairy. The use of dairy in this experiment means that cows have been put through a painful process that is against the values of the RSPCA. If you could please take heed of our suggestion and not use dairy when conducting the experiment it would be greatly appreciated and could avoid possible legal action.
Thank you and proceed.

Wouldnt you have to travel first to the destination of the cats first to lay down some white carpet?
top topic
smile.gif

LMAO @ EVERY1
this is funny shit especially the lenghts sum of yous will go to prove ur theories!!
ahahahahah.
love'em all

i think before you do anything with timing cats falling from 10m, you need to get some wind tunnel testing done and determine how much wind resistance a "standard" cat has.
although i doubt a cat could reach terminal velocity within 10m, i'm sure it could be reached over the duration of a trip to say, the Moon. but then we'd have to take into account the reduced drag that would occur in the vacuum of space, so terminal velocity would be higher in space than in atmosphere. do the wind tunnel tests in a vacuum, perhaps?
it seems to me that if you butter the cat's feet and point the feet at your destination, you get a net attraction of F(feet) + F(butter) towards where you wanna be. so this will pull you towards where you're aiming, but only if that combined attractive force is greater than the force due to gravity pulling you back to earth. but if you've managed to get to this point you've got a lot of momentum already (from some other force eg rocket boosters?), so the cats will just be accelerating you towards where you're going. if you had a massive array of cats this could be useful.
i've got no idea what i originally intended to say. ah fuck it. this is fun. why didn't they teach us this in physics?
newton.... pfft....
------------------
DQ

jakoz: ideally we could put white shag carpet at the destination as this would increase the attraction force of the buttered paws. The idea will still work though, as I have anecdotal evidence that buttered toast will always land buttered side down no matter the surface. I would almost guarantee that this would happen as much on pluto as on earth, thus ensuring the attractive forces.
de quincey: I agree that we should be doing cat wind tunnel testing, as this would give a much more accurate time for a fall of 10m. In space however there is negligible resistance, and terminal velocity will never be reached (mind you some funky stuff will happen as the cat space vehicle approaches the speed of light).
On another note I have decided to test out the frozen/cold food diet idea, and beginning after my exams (2 weeks time) I will endeavour to ensure that everything I eat be at 4 degrees or less. During this time I will monitor my weight and report back to the group..
wink.gif

Another site of interesting science is the Stinky Meat Project. All in the name of science I say..
------------------

pundi: I see what you mean, but then I offer that the theory of attraction will need to altered slightly.
Think of dropping a piece of bread with a flavoured layering on one side over gravel. Any staining is then inconsequential. What it then comes down to is how much you wanted to eat it, ie. how hungry you were and how good it tasted.
So my modest improvement on the current leading hypothesis: get a starving man, give him a piece of bread coated with nutella and tell him its his. Wait till his mouth is watering and open, anticipating that chocolate yummyness, then take it off him and attatch it to the cats. Fate itself will aid in propulsion by swatting down this poor fellas hopes, and ensuring the bread lands face down on the desired target.
inspired, huh?
PS.. I would say just starve the cats and smear the bread with cat food, thus eliminating the need to pay said starving bloke, but I doubt their sense of fate, and theyd just eat it anyway
smile.gif

jakoz: you've hit the nail on the head and greatly advanced the cat space vehicle initiative.
If the idea ever gets funding I will recommend to the appropriate authorities you be given the position of Ancillary Propulsion Systems Co-ordinator.
smile.gif

------------------

woohoo!
You have to be Chief Development Supervisor tho
smile.gif

Pundi: In order to further enhance your prototype I feel it is necessary to review the feline used for this proposed Space travel.
Similarly to improving on the 's' factor of the original formula, it is imperative to also assess all breeds of moggies.
If we were to consider game cats for instance, what impact would this have on p?
I refer to your previous post re: anorexic cats minimising gravitational forces - however I would be interested in your therories on whether increased paw span and general body mass would dramatically increase the attraction of the aforementioned feline's paws to the ground.
This however, then introduces the added complication of 'form'. We would need to determine whether the more aero dynamic felines eg leopard or jaguar would be more suitable than say a Lion (female) bearing in mind a Lion has a larger paw span.
If our findings show increased paw span and body mass does infact improve paw / ground attraction - then we will need to consider alternative 's' factors in order to realign opposing forces.
I apologise for the lack of diagrams to accompany my reply, however I would like to put my hand up for the position of :
VP of Pointing Out Additional Criteria To Be Considered Without Having Anything Of Actual Benefit To Add To Theory.
------------------
STOMPRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I don't know wether it's been stated yet or not.. cos I haven't read everything in here cos it's late.. and i'm pooped.
but a cat is more likely to land feet first the higher it's dropped from. A cat dropped from only one meter will usually land on it's side.. as will a cat falling from a second story is more likely to survive than a cat dropped from a first story window due to it's general preparedness to deal with the ground rushin up to meet it.
Of course there is a curve to this particular theorum.. as one rapidly reaches higher places to drop the aforementioned cat from.. the more one has to deal with increased velocity. Once one approaches even distinctly near a velocity that is 'terminal' the survivability of the cat Sharply decreases.
Curious.
------------------
*Boing, Bounce, shuffle, Bounce Boing!*

okay ppls,
To begin this experiment in ernest, we will need a cat donated....
Stompr, I know Delilah Pea is cute and all but......

okay ppls,
To begin this experiment in ernest, we will need a cat donated....
Stompr, I know Delilah Pea is cute and all but......

Narh and I have been tossing a few ideas lately regarding the cat / toast assisted space vehicle. We propose the following be put under consideration:
We construct a large piece of toast (approx 100km across) and butter one side of it. We then drop this piece of toast, buttered side up, from a height of 50.05 km (ie: 50km and 50m). The laws of toast dictate that this toast will have to undergo a 1/4 revolution in the time it drops the 50m (approx 5 seconds). It will do this 1/4 turn because it has to land buttered side down and obey newtons laws of physics. The outside edge of the toast will be moving very quickly, and a quick dynamical analysis results in a velocity of 15 km/sec. This is in excess of the required escape velocity of 11 km/sec.
toast.gif

This will provide the necessary propulsion for the first half of any trip, with further acceleration being provided by buttered cats for the second half.
Therefore all that is required is a 100km wide piece of toast, a large amount of butter and a means by which to drop it from a height of 50.05 km (this is probably the hard part).
------------------

Yes Bass Junky you evil, evil (and rude) boy....
haha this just gets funnier. I'm not good at theories so I'll leave it to the experts.
I could happily donate my sisters cat, although its so fat I think it would land on its stomach before its feet. Would this impact anything?

Hmmm..yeah but the problem withthe cat theory is that if buttered on both top and botton, unless there is enough angular momentum when the cat is turning, the force of the butter on both its back and feet will (at 180°) be equal, thus as stated before making it land on it's side.
So that I have come up with is the fact that if you add a little angular momentum to the cat whilst dropping it you could then get it spinning with ever increasing speed. The only other problem being that it might accelerate to suchj a point that the butter flies off both sides and splatters on the walls causing the spinning cat to hit the ground and roll into the side wall at hundreds of KM/hour.
MMm??
DB
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Darkblade (edited 22 June 2001).]