• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

SBS forum on party drugs

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/drugfree/faq.html

Taken from the site run by Michael D Robinson..
7. What can I do?

Here are the TOP 5 actions for a drug free Australia.

a. Spend time with your own children and grandchildren, explain to the openly and honestly the reality of drugs, that criminals make them available (often freely at first) to make them addicts. Teach them about the importance of family and community and about being healthy. Write to us for more information if you would like some.

b. Sign our charter and subscribe to our e-newsletter and other publications that will help us lobby politicians with your support, and keep you informed.

c. Support your friends and family as they raise their children, support local community groups that teach positive parenting and community programs.

d. You can make a difference! Write to your local politicians urging them to work towards policies that prevent induction to addiction. Ask them to work for Comprehensive PREVENTION of Harm as explained in the Drug Free Australia National Policies.

http://www.drugfreeaustralia.org.au/

Maybe capitalism has warped my fragile little mind, but I've never in all my dealings heard of someone giving you the drug for free, then charging you when your addicted?

the whole point of dealing drugs is profit...but then again, i'm not female...

Oh rock on, this guy has a link to www.beyondblue.com.au the depression website.

when will non-drug users learn that we're not taking drugs for all the reasons they think we are...

There was only one guy in the discussion who mentioned (and briefly) that taking drugs is fun. Really fun. I've seen and felt things that non drug users can never even imagine or aspire to seeing or feeling.

We take drugs because they're awesome. Being on drugs is really, really awesome. Seriously. Any non drug users reading this take note:

Being on drugs is really, really awesome.

satricion said:
There was only one guy in the discussion who mentioned (and briefly) that taking drugs is fun. Really fun. I've seen and felt things that non drug users can never even imagine or aspire to seeing or feeling.

We take drugs because they're awesome. Being on drugs is really, really awesome. Seriously. Any non drug users reading this take note:

Being on drugs is really, really awesome.

Yes, except for having too much of a good thing and so forth, eh?

The use of 'party drugs' within the rave/club culture now not only includes cocaine and amphetamines of the 80s, but MDMA, GHB, ketamine etc. It is the widespread use of the latter which has created a different way people use the drugs as they are less tied to addiction and have allowed (for the most part) a problem free integration within peoples lives where use of drugs isn't the focus but are used as an enhancement to a particular undertaking (eg. at a club, home with friends etc).

It is this more recent shift in use that most of us can relate to, and is different to the way in which we associate heroin, cocaine and problematic amphetamine use. Many of these anti-drug movements would have primarily dealt with other substances which did/do create different problems to those of club drugs used today.

In my professional opinion Mr Wood is still blaming himself for his daughters death i feel and his stance on it is his way of trying to appease his guilt over the matter. (I work in IT hence why it's a dodgy not to be taken seriously asessment)

I'm starting to think now that i've watched it that they guy in the suit was planted there deliberately in the laypersons point of view/shit-stirrer role. He was the only one in a solid block of solid support for the harm minimisation cause and was nearest the microphone and was allowed to interupt multiple tmes by just being there. I mean who was he?
what does he do? how did he get on the show? it doesn't add up for me. He did however sound so silly and irrational in parts with his talking over the top of people that he ended up looking like a bit of a clown, especially since everything he aid was opinion and not fact based.

Of course, i could just go back to lining my hat with foil.. ;)

I was surprised no one spoke about the effects of alcohol / aggression / violence in context of why pilling and dance culture is so much better on those terms.

Awesome work all involved, you all were level headed and came across as educated and intlligent.

A massive thanks to Cowboy Mac for putting it up on the site too.

/\/\/\

I was thinking about it this week too.. perhaps he lied to get on the show... as far as I could tell, that whole section was made up of drug users, the right side appeared to be parents and community members, the left side doctors and academics. He just didn't fit into any of the groups as I saw they were structured.

You're right about the sections, and from memory, the moderator seemed to know he was there and addressed him directly, hence why i was thinking he was planted there by the program directors. :\

According to the transcript on the sbs site, the guy's name is Emmett Durso which doesn't bring up anything relevant on google. I find that somewhat strange. Goodonya Nick, Mick and others for showing standing up for your beliefs.

P.S. Nick, that movie you grabbed the other day can be found at www.happyproduct.com if you want to point others to it (best movie ever on a comedown / offchops). I'm considering buying the DVD it's that good.

Thankyou for the opportunity to watch this doco.......

A few thoughts that came to mind.

Probably the most outstanding thought was what a waste of time.

I doubt that anything much was achieved from this forum style debate other than highlighting that there are various trains of thought.

The problem is that the format of the show only allowed for very quick snapshots of a variety of peoples thoughts including many who really had no concept of what they were discussing other than an emotional one, such as Mr woods.

I feel a far better means would have been to sit down people who actually had some concept of what they were on about such as Johnboy, a few of the professors who had been involved in studies etc.

Having people such as Mr Woods or the other guy that had never tried drugs and was dead against them sprouting there views are all very well, but uninformed emotional garbage is really counter productive in my view.

I think that Johnboys views in an hour long discussion with some educated professors etc would make much better television and aqlso possibly see some outcomes.

Removing emotional people from the scene allows the rest to just concentrate on being straight forward with the actual issues and how to go about them.

By only allowing a quick snapshot of a persons line of thinking, it has really not solved anything.