• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Flower Sativa vs. Indica vs. Strains - Does it matter?

What's your preferred strain?

• Sativa

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Indica

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Hybrid

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Weed is weed, strain doesn't matter.

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters

Magikol

Bluelighter
I'm curious everyone's opinion on this issue. I know a lot of people who just say:

"Weed is weed. Strain doesn't matter, Sativa vs Indica doesn't matter, it all gets you high"

I also know a lot of people who are extremely preferential on strains and effects. People who notice extreme differences in effects from strain to strain, who swear by some and swear off others.

I think for most of my life I've been on the former side of the argument, but I've recently been comparing two different strains and notice genuine differences - almost like they're two different types of drugs all together.

What has your experience been?

I'm curious everyone's opinion on this issue. I know a lot of people who just say:

"Weed is weed. Strain doesn't matter, Sativa vs Indica doesn't matter, it all gets you high"

I also know a lot of people who are extremely preferential on strains and effects. People who notice extreme differences in effects from strain to strain, who swear by some and swear off others.

I think for most of my life I've been on the former side of the argument, but I've recently been comparing two different strains and notice genuine differences - almost like they're two different types of drugs all together.

What has your experience been?
massively different in effect profile between strains, even between different grows of exact same strain from same seeds

SATIVA/INDICA question, well, 99.99% strains hybrid at this point anyway...some claimed Sativa doms can be more uplifting/creative imo...but honestly it's all fluid effect wise dependent on a zillion differentials, imo

Not all weed is equal, genetics of strains as well as growing conditions profoundly affect the whole experience overall in terms of : Type of High, Euphoria level, Pain relief/Anti nausea/Medicinal Properties, Side Effects (Some can be seen as positive example feeling tired afterwards = good for sleep )
Also the smoothness of that particular herb in a joint, bong, vape whatever you use .. not to mention Flavour i personally really enjoy earthy dank strains a lot.

Not all weed is equal, genetics of strains as well as growing conditions profoundly affect the whole experience overall in terms of : Type of High, Euphoria level, Pain relief/Anti nausea/Medicinal Properties, Side Effects (Some can be seen as positive example feeling tired afterwards = good for sleep )
Also the smoothness of that particular herb in a joint, bong, vape whatever you use .. not to mention Flavour i personally really enjoy earthy dank strains a lot.
I've started enjoying like 50/50 CBD THC strains recently. It's something that's hard to find at a lot of dispensaries because most people want high THC, but I have been having great experiences with it. Helps mellow out the harsher edges of weed for a more relaxing, less anxiety producing feeling

I'm sure someone will chime in with, "They're all hybrids now anyway". True, but you certainly still have Sativa dominant and Indica dominant. And the Sativa high and the Indica high are different.
I picked Sativa, but I do think that Sativa dominant, so that there's a little Indica in there too, is prolly nicest.

I've started enjoying like 50/50 CBD THC strains recently. It's something that's hard to find at a lot of dispensaries because most people want high THC, but I have been having great experiences with it. Helps mellow out the harsher edges of weed for a more relaxing, less anxiety producing feeling
as its not legal in the UK i cannot purchase such strains as dealers wouldnt see them as profit making strains, i do however purchase cbd flower separately (0.3% - 1% thc and around 15% cbd) and i mix it with whatever the dealer is selling in a ratio. Having Grown once before it pains me to buy any at all though as it can be expensive.

i always used to hear that sativas were a more uplifting high, but i've purchased a few strains of sativa recently and they have cbda. one of them even has cbn, which is supposed to help with sleep. i don't really notice these chemicals too much and tend to get the same buzz off of all or most strains from the dispensary anyways.

i used to think that the greener buds were sativas and the red and orange hair were more indica, but this isn't true from how the dispensaries list. indica or sativa flower can pretty much look like either.

and to the people saying they are all hybrid, i've grown and some plants have long leaves with very tall plants, other indicas are like half the size with less long fatter leaves. to say that they only have highbreds nowadays is bullshit. science kept the strains seperated. i'm pretty sure the dispensaries tell the truth too. they list hybrids as hybrids, a lot of people just go to those first not really knowing what they want. if a strain is more indica or more sativa but both they say it's an indica or sativa "leaning" hybrid.

once the bud is trimmed and off of the plant though, there is no way that i'm going to be able to tell the difference. it's easier to tell the difference between pepsi and coke. lol

i was just thinking terpenes might be different in indica and sativa, those supposedly have different smells and taste and possibly effect. so i dunno. maybe there is a chance people can learn the difference. i mostly just purchase from reading the cannabinoids... there are so many flavors and smells of indica and sativa. i wish i understood terpenes and i wish dispensaries listed them more... it really doesn't matter really though. i'm grateful to get any cannabis possible.

also i was thinking that closet size is a big thing when people pick indica and sativa.

i'd like to hear if anyone actually reads about the terpenes to pick their bud.

Although i live in a country where pot is illegal, i've had the opportunity to try various strains at times. I've encountered perhaps 10 different confirmed strains over the years. I've also ordered legal cannabinoids CBN and CBC as well as CBD bud and experimented with adding them in various ratios to my smoke mixture.

To me no strain has stood out in particular. If i must relate any strain to any particularly good high i also must admit the memorable euphoria was probably more about my tolerance level than about the strain. Of course, the potency, consistency and aroma has varied a lot but nothing else that is tangible.

Regarding the added cannabinoids, i've noticed no difference with CBD and CBN. CBC did seem to confer a distinct but largely non-psychoactive well-being and i grew very fond of that material while i had it, although i probably wouldn't bother ordering it again. CBD bud is so cheap i keep adding it as a flavor enhancer and for "why not" kind of reasons referring to possible nootropic benefit. CBN i sometimes add when i imagine it helps induce sleep.

I rank my pot stuff mostly based on potency and ease of use. I'm overall a sensitive person, almost to the point of being delicate. I pick up on most nuances in things. Thus i do appreciate the freshness of bud but gravitate toward concentrate (of unknown strain composition) since it is after all a drug first and foremost. I'm intrigued by people who can tell the difference between strains, but also a bit skeptical.

Last edited:
Indica/Sativa differences have been an ongoing myth for a very long time. It makes no difference in your high, these just refer to the plants physical structure.
Some of the most couch locky strains I've ever smoked were Sativa, and I've had very energizing Indica. It's all about the terpenes and other cannabinoids. But the medical cannabis industry continues to push this myth to help make some products seem more appealing. "This one will make you feel happy and creative" "this one will make you relaxed and sleepy" it's all BS.

I believe this whole thing stemmed from the fact that there were specific landrace strains (meaning grew in the wild) that happened to be sativa. Durban Poison is an example, though it will often be hybridized these days. But back in like, the 70s, Acapulco Gold was a landrace strain that was very common and was sativa, and just happened to have a more uppity high.

Then there are strains like Afghan which happened to be more sedating, which also grew naturally in the wild. This is all where I think the ideas of indica/sativa come from. In the end it doesn't matter, a lot of people placebo themselves into thinking "oh, this is sativa and it says I should feel this way" and then they do. In my teens, my dealers had good shit, and they'd always say "oh yeah you'll feel euphoric off this" and such. I mean, it's THC, it's gonna do that no matter what. Though again terpenes play a role in this. Any flower that has a strong lemon flavor has always had an uplifting high for me. I prefer concentrate nowadays though because I find the highs are all similarly sedating, particularly distillates.

Indica/Sativa differences have been an ongoing myth for a very long time. It makes no difference in your high, these just refer to the plants physical structure.
Some of the most couch locky strains I've ever smoked were Sativa, and I've had very energizing Indica. It's all about the terpenes and other cannabinoids. But the medical cannabis industry continues to push this myth to help make some products seem more appealing. "This one will make you feel happy and creative" "this one will make you relaxed and sleepy" it's all BS.

I believe this whole thing stemmed from the fact that there were specific landrace strains (meaning grew in the wild) that happened to be sativa. Durban Poison is an example, though it will often be hybridized these days. But back in like, the 70s, Acapulco Gold was a landrace strain that was very common and was sativa, and just happened to have a more uppity high.

Then there are strains like Afghan which happened to be more sedating, which also grew naturally in the wild. This is all where I think the ideas of indica/sativa come from. In the end it doesn't matter, a lot of people placebo themselves into thinking "oh, this is sativa and it says I should feel this way" and then they do. In my teens, my dealers had good shit, and they'd always say "oh yeah you'll feel euphoric off this" and such. I mean, it's THC, it's gonna do that no matter what. Though again terpenes play a role in this. Any flower that has a strong lemon flavor has always had an uplifting high for me. I prefer concentrate nowadays though because I find the highs are all similarly sedating, particularly distillates.
I remember when Indica first hit the market. People were used to Sativas and some folks absolutely hated the Indica buzz. I noticed a big difference myself before even reading about the differences in subspecies(?). I thought of the big, stinky, cosmetically wonderful Indica buds as "bootleg pot". Something like the "bootleg black mollies" being sold (which were ephedrive, phenylpropanolamine, and caffeine). Strong buzz, but something missing.

There were articles in High Times where "the connoisseur" bemoaned what was missing in the new homegrown. Problem was that Indica grew so much better in America due to Sativas being mostly Equatorial. The quest began to breed Sativa characteristics into Indica.

If people hadn't seen an advantage to Sativa, why was Haze created rather early on? It sure doesn't have superior growth characteristics.

That said, just about all pot grown now is a hybrid. Even Green Crack which has a nice Sativa buzz is something like 30% Indica.

Growth morphology doesn't even mean anything anymore. There are Sativa (buzz) dominant plants which grow like an Indica. After all, the original goal was to have a Sativa which grew like an Indica outdoors in America.

The people who say it's all the same anymore are kinda right in a way. The gene pool has become pretty homogenous. However, I can easily feel a difference between strains which are very Sativa dominant (in the high) and ones which are very Indica dominant. I live in a non-legal state, so my access to known strains is more limited and I've still seen the difference at times.

In the last year, I've had Green Crack and Grape Ape (off the top of my head) side by side which were very different in effects.

The Green Crack had popcorn buds like an Indica but a very Sativa high. Supposedly, there is a Green Crack which leans way more Indica in effects. Two children from the same parent can look very different.

The original Sativas and the original Indicas brought quite different highs to the table and some current strains lean heavily toward one of those in effects.

And the gene pool is also very homogenous at this point. Much of it does feel the same.

Last edited:
I used to occasionally combine CBD only flower and "regular" cannabis together in the evenings as opposed to getting a strain high in CBD. Worked well.

i prefer landrace saticvas especially african ones like red congo and durban poison. i also like acapulco gold There is no way anyone can say these strains have the same effects as indicas Red congo is very different as its really stimulating

Eat a lemon before you smoke, it should be the same.

This has actually been documented to reduce the effects of THC. In theory consuming some amount of limonene before using a strain with it should potentiate like myrcene does with strains high in it, but it would have to be a small amount if anything. It seems most of this is about eating a lemon AFTER getting high if one is too high, but a couple sources mention even before can reduce your high. Probably it's too much limonene. The myrcene thing I don't think is a myth though, so many people have had it work and when my tolerance got heavy, my last toke of the day would feel like the first. When I smoked strains with little or no myrcene then it did seem like it didn't work as well.

At this point I no longer use flower, I just don't like smoke. I might re-visit it for vaping, but oil pens are where it's at for me, it saves me so much money and I get more consistent, heavy body highs that I like. The last time I smoked a bowl it tasted just awful, and I even felt like I had a burnout hangover the next day. Everything about oil carts just feels cleaner and I get way higher. Some say they're less potent than flower because they're made with bad batches of flower or something like that. This might be true, but the fact is my dispensary oil carts are really, really fire and before I made the switch I smoked nothing but the highest grade for a decade.

Also (not referring to you), I find it kind of amazing how many people read what I posted and still continue to believe in this myth. I guess some might find it too much to read, but the fact is sativa/indica has 0% to do with what kind of high you'll get. When that idea is ingrained into your head for so long though I imagine your brain is just tricked in that way. The most uppity strain I've ever had was almost 100% indica and nothing I've smoked has ever come close to that level of actually wanting to go to a club or party. Usually getting high just makes me wanna chill at home or chill with some friends, play some guitar or listen to music.

Last edited:
A landrace is a domesticated, locally adapted, often traditional variety of a species of animal or plant that has developed over time, not a variety which grows in the wild.

Specific landrace Sativas and Indicas were brought to the table in America in the 70's. All the Sativa landraces were "uppity", although there was some variation. Panama Red was stony as hell and sleepy. Columbian browns were kinda sleepy as well. However, none of these felt as sedative as the Afghani landrace.

There's variation in Indicas too. Some Indicas are more up than others. I've read Indian was classified as an Indica.

A careful reading of the "Indica vs Sativa myth" articles seems to say that you can't predict a high by the percentage of Sativa or Indica or by the growth morphology. That's correct.

You can breed a specific trait into a hybrid and still keep all the other traits of the original. They breed resistance to a certain disease into heirloom tomatoes and have plants identical to the heirloom in all other ways. You can have a black man with blue eyes. You could have a plant very high in Afghani genes which has had a Sativa high bred into it. It's genetics.

So, yeah. The "Indica vs Sativa" thing is a poor predictor of a high and that's the point of those articles. The original landraces tending quite strongly toward certain types of highs is a fact, though.

If the landraces are grown in their native environment wouldn't this imply that they grew there naturally to begin with, and from there just had seeds harvested and grown in said native environment? I'm aware of what landrace means otherwise, I just can't see how it wouldn't have been found to grow in the wild to begin with. I've seen some documentaries that described them as such, people on the hunt for strains that grew naturally in the wild and called them landrace.