• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

Excellent :) The Olympic tri distance is perfect.
It's difficult for me to do the mins/mile conversion in my head so I'ma just smile and nod and take your word for it that you're doing great :) :D
6:36/ mile is 4:06/ Km. my best 5k pace was 6:04/mile which comes out to 3:46/Km. Still not super fast but I’ve come a long way from where I started.

6:36/ mile is 4:06/ Km. my best 5k pace was 6:04/mile which comes out to 3:46/Km. Still not super fast but I’ve come a long way from where I started.
Ummmm, dude.....that is epic. What are you talking about?! That is super fast! I'm happy just shuffling along at 5min/km :) I aim for longer distance, not faster time though.

I'm happy just shuffling along at 5min/km
That's about what I run too, I just keep my heartrate up. If I push myself my heartrate gets scary high... kinda freaks me out. Like 185-190 beats per minute, which is high for my age.

That's about what I run too, I just keep my heartrate up. If I push myself my heartrate gets scary high... kinda freaks me out. Like 185-190 beats per minute, which is high for my age.
I've never tracked my heartrate....maybe I should start doing it?? I'm nearly 37.

I've never tracked my heartrate....maybe I should start doing it?? I'm nearly 37.
I had one of those smart watches when they were popular several years ago, my HR would go up to 185++ and it freaked me out. Thought it was wrong, timed it manually and yeah my HR is well over 185. The only thing that freaks me out is that is in the danger zone for a guy at my age (Late 20s at the time). Also have major hereditary heart concerns :/

I'm out of shape, though, which probably plays a role in that, but still... idk. I'm not a hypochondriac but I definitely have legit concerns.

I always take quick walk breaks when jogging just to be safe. Its too easy for me to push myself past my limit.

I had one of those smart watches when they were popular several years ago, my HR would go up to 185++ and it freaked me out. Thought it was wrong, timed it manually and yeah my HR is well over 185. The only thing that freaks me out is that is in the danger zone for a guy at my age (Late 20s at the time). Also have major hereditary heart concerns :/

I'm out of shape, though, which probably plays a role in that, but still... idk. I'm not a hypochondriac but I definitely have legit concerns.

I always take quick walk breaks when jogging just to be safe. Its too easy for me to push myself past my limit.
Have you seen a cardiologist to rule out any blockages?

Have you seen a cardiologist to rule out any blockages?
Yeah I've had 3 EKGs throughout my 20s and last one was 4-5 years ago. Also had full xrays due to chest pains. I'm apparently fine.

I just don't like when my HR goes into the red zone.

Knew a guy who was a health nut, ran marathons and randomly had a heart attack and died at 28 during a marathon.

I'm all for high intensity but keep it reasonable for someone in my general not overweight but out of shape condition. Plus 15 years of smoking cigarettes and all the drugs... let's be real here, heh.

i’m in my 30s and during a run where i push myself a degree from vomiting, my hrt peaks in the 190s.

a competitive cyclist who turned 30 this year has a max heart rate in the 190s. he also has a 70something v02 and regularly rides 160 miles at over 22mph.

we both had ekgs during our stay at the hospital— for mental reasons — and checked out healthy.

you talking about your average or max heart rate?

i’m in my 30s and during a run where i push myself a degree from vomiting, my hrt peaks in the 190s.

a competitive cyclist who turned 30 this year has a max heart rate in the 190s. he also has a 70something v02 and regularly rides 160 miles at over 22mph.

we both had ekgs during our stay at the hospital— for mental reasons — and checked out healthy.

you talking about your average or max heart rate?
Max I guess. If I just casually jog without stopping right around a mile or so my HR goes to 188+ and stays there.

Anxiety gets the best of me a lot of times. I just feel like for a guy like me at my fitness level I shouldn't be going that hard yet.

yeah a sub 19 min 5k (which 6:04 split will get you) is something that probably less than 1% of humans can do. that is a fast time.
Thank you. Yeah, my time was 18:49. That was good enough for third in that race, which didn’t have a lot of serious runners in it. I still dont feel that is that fast. I wanna get down into the 17’s at least. But up next I’m doing a 10 k race, so training for that.

Last edited:
I haven’t been checking this thread but everyone is doing amazing!! Well done to @chinup you are going girl!!! Honestly I’m so impressed!

I’ve kept up my running as per!

@Snafu of the Forest i let my heart rate go high as possible at times. 210 sometimes it is, sure so what! It’s there for a short time and comes down on its own, I push myself really hard sometimes, especially on hills. If I’m gonna die I’m gonna die. 🙃

@Snafu of the Forest i let my heart rate go high as possible at times. 210 sometimes it is, sure so what! It’s there for a short time and comes down on its own, I push myself really hard sometimes, especially on hills. If I’m gonna die I’m gonna die. 🙃
I don't know why it scares me so much. I can zone out and just run without pain and push myself no problem..... but man running not even a mile and reacing 190+ heart rate freaks me out...

it's not a matter of how tired I feel.... it's literally just I know I'm not supposed to run in that zone??? IDK....

I run all day at 175-185, but anything above that worries me

I'm 6ft tall dude, you're a lot smaller than me and would naturally have a higher HR???

I don't know why it scares me so much. I can zone out and just run without pain and push myself no problem..... but man running not even a mile and reacing 190+ heart rate freaks me out...

it's not a matter of how tired I feel.... it's literally just I know I'm not supposed to run in that zone??? IDK....

I run all day at 175-185, but anything above that worries me

I'm 6ft tall dude, you're a lot smaller than me and would naturally have a higher HR???
I really don’t have a naturally high HR. It’s actually very low usually, it only gets into that red zone when I’m really pushing myself. Like at the gym or if I’m trying to get my run times down and I’m pushing myself on a run. It never lingers in that zone for too long and it always comes down. In fact I don’t even know it’s that high until I check my phone after my workout and see that it went up there. I think I’d be freaked out too if I was checking my heart rate during my workout.

I do understand your worry, your heart is an amazing muscle though. If you get up to that HR and you want to get it down, reduce your effort and focus on your breathing, take nice big breaths in for 4 and out for 4. Make sure you’re counting in your head. Your HR will come down quickly.

I really don’t have a naturally high HR. It’s actually very low usually, it only gets into that red zone when I’m really pushing myself. Like at the gym or if I’m trying to get my run times down and I’m pushing myself on a run. It never lingers in that zone for too long and it always comes down. In fact I don’t even know it’s that high until I check my phone after my workout and see that it went up there. I think I’d be freaked out too if I was checking my heart rate during my workout.

I do understand your worry, your heart is an amazing muscle though. If you get up to that HR and you want to get it down, reduce your effort and focus on your breathing, take nice big breaths in for 4 and out for 4. Make sure you’re counting in your head. Your HR will come down quickly.
My running posture / breathing technique could use some improvement, too

re heart rate- i don't track mine so much but i check the graphs on my phone after.

but my watch is shit- just shifting position of the sensor changes the reading by 30bpm, and it depends on how sweaty i am and stuff- so often i see a precipitous drop in heart rate after a few mins literally cos i started sweating. its annoying cos it fucks with my VO2 max estimate and will sometimes tell me that really hard runs were not productive for improving my fitness cos it was readng my heartrate way lower than it was.

hardly any running for me this week. i slightly hurt my ankle on my long run last weekend. i've attempted to go out twice just for 5ks and quit one after 3k and one after 2k because it was starting to really hurt. walked into town today and had to get the bus back cos it was starting to hurt.

getting a bit stressed about it tbh, in my head taking a week out means i'll lose a lot of what i've built up but i know i will injure it worse. its also in a leg that i have an old knee injury in, and making me walk funny so that's flaring up. sucks tbh but i've got a bandage compressing it, elevating it, and will be resting it for the rest of the day. tempted to attempt another 5k tomorrow but with what its like now i know i shouldn't.

re heart rate- i don't track mine so much but i check the graphs on my phone after.

but my watch is shit- just shifting position of the sensor changes the reading by 30bpm, and it depends on how sweaty i am and stuff- so often i see a precipitous drop in heart rate after a few mins literally cos i started sweating. its annoying cos it fucks with my VO2 max estimate and will sometimes tell me that really hard runs were not productive for improving my fitness cos it was readng my heartrate way lower than it was.

hardly any running for me this week. i slightly hurt my ankle on my long run last weekend. i've attempted to go out twice just for 5ks and quit one after 3k and one after 2k because it was starting to really hurt. walked into town today and had to get the bus back cos it was starting to hurt.

getting a bit stressed about it tbh, in my head taking a week out means i'll lose a lot of what i've built up but i know i will injure it worse. its also in a leg that i have an old knee injury in, and making me walk funny so that's flaring up. sucks tbh but i've got a bandage compressing it, elevating it, and will be resting it for the rest of the day. tempted to attempt another 5k tomorrow but with what its like now i know i shouldn't.
Awh I know how hard it is to rest up an injury but it’s for the best. Honestly if you push it you’re gonna injure it worse and be out for longer. You won’t ruin anything! It’ll take you a couple of runs max to get back to where you were so no sweat. Take the week and take care of that ankle! ❤️

Awh I know how hard it is to rest up an injury but it’s for the best. Honestly if you push it you’re gonna injure it worse and be out for longer. You won’t ruin anything! It’ll take you a couple of runs max to get back to where you were so no sweat. Take the week and take care of that ankle! ❤️
thanks, that is good to know!!

old me would just rub voltarol on it and go anyway but having picked up a fair few injuries over the years that i took that approach with, and so still give me grief, i know resting is much better.

My groin is still messed up from a tear about 8 years ago. Sucks. It fatigues and pains well before the right side.

Some teenagers on a bike passed me and said "good morning, sir" and I've never felt so old before