• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

woke up with chills and bodyaches... fever at 101.7. fuck me lol

got a covid test done this morning, hopefully i get results back tonight

im honestly hoping it is Covid so that it’s easier to get work and school accommodations. Make it worth my time lol

That week in the hospital threw me off.
i can imagine. my only hospital stays since smashing my elbow i've either been locked in my bedroom or on a locked ward. either way not great for the exercise routine (though that was kinda the point).

i actually really hope you don't have covid on the offchance you get long covid. some 24 hour bug would be far preferable. either way get well soon and take it easy.

Ok perhaps that was a bit short sighted haha

i do not have Covid. Both a saliva and a nasal swab test confirmed this. I feel better after taking ibuprofen at lunch and I took a Tylenol about 30 mins ago

trying to drink lots of water and eat lots of fruits and veggies

Fever was gone today but still felt kinda shitty. Felt cold and little achy. Was pouring rain all day didn’t have it in me to tough it out through that given my physical state

glad you're feeling better @thegreenhand - can't blame you for not going out in the pouring rain!!

i just smashed my 5k time!!! 29.59. Last week was the best i'd had so far this year at 30.42 so i don't know what happened for the stars to align to take 43 seconds off!!!

trying to get to below 30 motivated me to quit smoking over a year ago, and up my distances. its a huge thing to actually meet my goal.

you guys have really helped me, pushing my distances up has definitely improved my pace and seeing such good progress is really motivating me.

honestly its probably dumb, its still a slow time, but i'm on cloud 9.

for no obvious reason it seems my fitness has vastly improved over the last week.

i just upped my distance to 17k and feel fine. i didn't get the mental and physical barrier i felt after 13k on last weeks 15k. i wasn't trying to push my pace at all, terrain wouldn't have allowed it really anyway, but i guess that helped.

but, i feel basically fine now, like usually after a long run i eat something then get into bed and don't resurface for a few hours but not i feel like i can just go about a normal day.

so fastest 5k ever and longest run ever in 2 days, not bad!

That’s excellent! I’d say perhaps it’s not entirely all physical fitness but mental too. Don’t forget to give your own brain some credit too 😁

That’s excellent! I’d say perhaps it’s not entirely all physical fitness but mental too. Don’t forget to give your own brain some credit too 😁
100% agree with this! Our mental endurance has a lot to answer for with long distance running :)

Speaking of which I've just started training for another half marathon YAY! I've done a few in the past but not for many years. I've put my body and mind through hell the last 8 years but I'm stoked at how well my body and brain are responding to my training program so far <3

two good trail runs. one on friday (8 miles) and one today (3 mile tempo run). saturday was just some light cycling. not anything massive, but felt good after being put out by hospital and then fever

You all are certainly onto something here. After a week of procrastination, I finally went out for a jog this morning, or started that way. In the hour I exercised, I ran for maybe 20 minutes total. Feels fantastic. Can't make it much more than 5 minutes without running out of breath. Really made me cough a lot and lungs ache, sharp pains. Going to quit cigarettes and see if I can make this my new go to drug.

You’ll progress much quicker than you think. Just try to keep some level of consistency with it. That said, if you miss a day or two don’t beat yourself up - just get a good one in the next day

You’ll progress much quicker than you think. Just try to keep some level of consistency with it. That said, if you miss a day or two don’t beat yourself up - just get a good one in the next day
I'm going to try 5 minutes on 5 off for an hour twice a day for a few weeks. I say that but hopefully I actually *do* it :/

I'm going to try 5 minutes on 5 off for an hour twice a day for a few weeks. I say that but hopefully I actually *do* it :/
There’s also apps called “couch to 5k” that have great plans. You start them up when you’re going for a run and the app will tell you when to run and when to walk. The run time increases over the weeks and walking decreases. By the end you should be running 5km without any breaks.

It also keeps you accountable as you tick off the days etc.

There’s also apps called “couch to 5k” that have great plans. You start them up when you’re going for a run and the app will tell you when to run and when to walk. The run time increases over the weeks and walking decreases. By the end you should be running 5km without any breaks.

It also keeps you accountable as you tick off the days etc.
Just went to try to do that for an hour and wound up walking around for only 30 minutes instead. Maybe also less weed would be good.

That sounds fantastic, but as greenhand said don't worry too much if you don't stick to it 100%. Exercising twice a day can be difficult to adher to.
Always keep in mind that ANY exercise is good!! Don't diminish how good walking is, especially if you're building up your endurance to being able to do 5k non-stop. Walking is awesome.

MsDiz said:
There’s also apps called “couch to 5k” that have great plans.
And, this!!! There are HEAPS of running apps for all levels of fitness :)

I have been sticking to my half marathon training program so far and I'm feeling good. I did 10km (6.2mi) yesterday and smashed it! It was pouring rain so I did it on the treadmill at the gym. I usually love running in the rain, but this was rather torrential so it was a bit hectic haha.

6 mile run yesterday at 6:45/ mile. Bike ride today plan to do at least 22 miles. Happy trails everyone!

^^ Great work!!
I did 2 x 10km runs this week, one on Thursday and one yesterday, just on the treadmill at the gym because the weather was yuck. Went pretty hard both times, felt great! Having a rest day today and doing some stretches.