• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

ran an organized 5k this morning. time was 24:50, which is far from a personal best. haven’t run in months, so i’ll take it and work on it.

upgraded from my forerunner 220 to the 245 tonight. was disappointed my 220 wouldn’t calculate my vo2 max even with an external heartbeat monitor paired. 245 does that and more. supposed to have an improved version of the most important feature, gps tracking. yet to figure out all it does yet.

i got more than my money’s worth outta the 220. and looks like I can get about $40 back in selling it on craigslist (battery is shockingly still superb; an apple product it wouldn’t hold a charge for 60 seconds at this point). hope to say the same about the upgrade to a 245.

long as i’m posting, ran 3.1 miles along lakeshore today. baby steps back into it. gotta make sure i can wreck my younger brother at this year’s turkey trot 10k, without getting injured prior.

Last edited:
hadn't seen this thread before....

i've started running to try and improve my CV health given crack probably wrecked me quite a bit.

started doing park runs as the competitive edge makes me push myself. won't get sub 30 mins til i quite smoking.

yesterday some of the route was flooded, and you couldn't go around it as there were ditches on either side. my shoes now stink and there's no point washing them cos it'll be like that all winter.

^welcome to the thread! running is so ridiculously healthy. you’ve made a good choice. i’ve smoked a bit of hard too. sometimes worry about long term effects of it and all the other terrible decisions. running has gotta earn us back some points.

got my shoes wet yesterday as well! the waves were coming up onto the running path to a wall, so ran through them. the cold felt very good. hoping they’re not still too wet today.

you have a goal of number of runs per week or just getting out there when you can?

thanks!!!

yeah i was figuring proper exercise might mitigate the damage.

I don't have a goal number of runs per week, my goal is to get my park run (5k) down to 30 minutes. So realistically as well as quitting smoking, I need to up my running. The limiting factor is feeling sick, and by process of elimination I think its my lactic threshold, so keeping at it will improve that.

running has gotta make giving up smoking more appealing.

i did have a friend that used to light up a cigg soon as we finished a race. that was in our early 20s. life caught up. he can’t do that anymore and chose cigarettes over running.

30min 5k is a fun goal.

Last edited:
i tried to go on a run today but apparently the past few days have wrecked my physical as well as my mental health. i physically couldn't. fucking depressing, i'm running out of healthy things to try to make myself feel better.

still can't physically run properly, tried 3 days in a row. this is nuts.

hey chinup. sorry you’ve hit this hurdle in your training.

you can overcome it. if you can’t, run go for a long walk at a brisk pace instead. then after you’ve done that as many days as necessary, alternate between walking and slowly jogging (on the same day). eventually you will get to days where you can just run again.

i’m assuming you don’t have access to an elliptical. if you do, start on that. but you definitely don’t need one.

thanks. i'll try. its my mental health. my living situation has become intolerable and its consuming so much energy that its impacting me physically.

Im trying to get back to running after a long break, using C25K program as it worked before too. My problem is, the days are getting colder and shorter and I was thinking how could I replace running outdoors for indoors training with elliptical. Found website with few workouts. I hope this works for substitute until spring comes again. Heres the workouts if someones interested.
Elliptical-Workouts-for-Runners.jpg

Im trying to get back to running after a long break, using C25K program as it worked before too. My problem is, the days are getting colder and shorter and I was thinking how could I replace running outdoors for indoors training with elliptical. Found website with few workouts. I hope this works for substitute until spring comes again. Heres the workouts if someones interested.
Elliptical-Workouts-for-Runners.jpg
is that chart for the elliptical? I think I might try some of the intervals on my jogs. Kind of do something similar.

back on form... for me at least. got my PB at the parkrun today, in a much better place mentally so actually able to run, didn't even think i was pushing myself too hard. 31 mins is still not really a respectable time for 5k though.

hey! 31 minutes is damn close to your goal. and there is no respectable running time. i’m not saying that as some feel good fluff. i mean there’s no respectable time that any of us can achieve. unless you're elite, it’s all about beating your personal bests and runners like you. no matter how fast and far you run, some motherfucker in your bracket can run literally twice as far, twice as fast.

for perspective, two days ago a guy ran a marathon in less than two hours. that’s 26.2 miles at like 4 & 1/2 minute miles. how that’s humanly possible makes no sense. and it’s not just world records. my psychologist was being all professional and wouldn’t tell me his times — even though i tell him my (al)most shameful secrets — and when i finally got him to crack it was because he was pumped about running 10 miles in 59:something minutes. guy is a normal person, running 10 miles in under an hour.

glad to hear you’re back out there. i had an unfortunate encounter with mania which led to heroin which led to depression. messed my schedule up. first two days after quitting i could barely make myself go for a walk. today is day three or four — finished the gram in middle of the night so the math is too hard — and i cycled. will run tomorrow. even though i went 2/3rds my usual distance at a mph under my usual pace, felt good as fuck to be out there being healthy again.

Last edited:
too cold for cycling lakefront and i’m trying to run only every other day, so i did the stairmaster tonight. felt like patrick bateman up there.

how have you been doing, @chinup?

@hydroazuanacaine.... Right on man.... How you doing staying away from the garbage?

and I second that Chinup.
thanks. i'll try. its my mental health. my living situation has become intolerable and its consuming so much energy that its impacting me physically.

We love you Chinup.... How have you been? The recovery forum isn't the same without you.

hey, somnilicious. thanks. is going pretty well. i had a one gram slip up at the start of october. it was unpleasant. my first dose was a disaster because i did not appropriately compensate for the drop in tolerance. after that i used the rest of the gram even though i was getting more and more depressed as i used and knew i was crossing the line to the point i’d be dope sick when it was gone. of course that’s what happened. i was super depressed during the withdrawal.

i didn’t get more. i’m back on track. never again. that’s what i say each time. and each time i mean it.

you working on some form of sobriety? if so, how’s it going?

@hydroazuanacaine.... Right on man.... How you doing staying away from the garbage?

and I second that Chinup.

We love you Chinup.... How have you been? The recovery forum isn't the same without you.
Hey, to top off my run of bad luck my computer died and my phone has a bug that makes posting a pain. I've had the hardest month in recovery but still going. I'll start posting properly when I get my new computer. Hope everyone is doing well.

sorry you’re having a hard time. glad to hear you’re hanging in there.

got planter faciitis. second time having it. was in my other foot last time. both times in the middle of my foot, not the heel. i get so many injuries. because stress eats away at my body.

internet says sometimes you can keep running as it heals. thanksgiving day race is less than 20 days away and i’m not in great form. no time for taking a break.

how’s elliptical training going, @chemicalsynergy?

Last edited: