• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

I run and do other exercises because I find them physically enjoyable. Not sure if that counts as a "running nerd".

You're a running nerd if you pull your coworkers aside and describe this morning's run as if it were good sex.

You're a running nerd if you pull your coworkers aside and describe this morning's run as if it were good sex.
Well, I'm not that enthusiastic about it. Though both of them release endorphins and the aftereffect feels somewhat similar.

For me strenuous exercise feels like a morphine high that's being opposed by so much pain that it gets shoved to the background. The immediate feeling of relief at the end provides a small glimpse into what would exist if the pain were not there.

970266_10151575322896020_1375589125_n.jpg

12.2 mile run this morning
80% trail 20% pavement

I'm 11 days out from a 1/2 marathon and having a calf issue. Ugh. Got a massage last night and scheduled another for next Monday. Been taking it easy since I ran a 5k Sunday morning (all ran in discomfort) and will try to run 5mi at a deliberate pace either Wed or Thurs to check it out. Hopefully.......I can then run 10mi on Sunday as the final tune up for the 1/2. I'm running another 1/2 the following weekend too. hehehe

Going to buy some compression calf sleeves today and just wear them during the day to help with bloodflow. I use KT tape during my races.

I'm not a runner but curious, do you guys get shin splints ? I get them when doing cardio after my weights sometimes...

I'm not a runner but curious, do you guys get shin splints ? I get them when doing cardio after my weights sometimes...

Yeah I used to get bad shin splints, but I haven't had a problem since I changed my running technique. Now I strike just behind the the ball of my foot, instead of heel-strike. It totally solved all my pain issues!

Although now I can't run anyway. I tore the bottom of my foot, so I won't be running for at least 3 weeks. So devastating, I was RIGHT in the middle of my half marathon training program!! No marathon for me this year :(

Nope, none for me.

Although now I can't run anyway. I tore the bottom of my foot, so I won't be running for at least 3 weeks. So devastating, I was RIGHT in the middle of my half marathon training program!! No marathon for me this year :(

What exactly did you tear? :(

Ran 5 miles yesterday and no pain in the calf. What a relief. I did run with rock tape on the problem area and I will continue to wear a calf compression sleeve during the day to keep "treating" it. Next, 10 miles on Sunday, 3 miles Tuesday and 6 miles on Thursday then the first 1/2 next Saturday.

Hanging out before the start of a Halloween inspired 4 mile night trail race
1380748_10201687042970335_1510608609_n.jpg

I <3 zombie makeup
Last year 36:49.40 9:13/M
85th out of 513

I am super happy this morning.
I placed 41st out of 425. 2nd Female to cross the finish line!
34:07.41 8:32/M
1374793_10151741651109072_1392933261_n.jpg

note the devil horn attempt
we were told do not look at the photographer the flash will blind you for seconds

Last edited:
^ very cool!

I finished my 1/2 in Denver with no bad calf pain. It acted up around mile 7 so I stopped and stretched a bit but it never got bad enough that I was wanting to walk. Overall, it was the most pleasant 13.1 miles I've probably ever ran (if you take into consideration I was running with my gf at her pace). 2:09:30

cool pix PI. i like that last one.

Nice job Wyld! The longest I've run nonstop in the past calendar year has been 3 miles. Hoping I can get up to 5 miles / 8 km on a regular basis, but right now I'm more focused on gaining weight rather than cardio fitness.

I enjoy a good lunchtime run. 30 minutes at 10kph, which usually equates to 5.5km with a cool down. I love the runners high! Combining the run with a 20 lap swim (500m in a 25m length pool) followed by steam room is one of my favourite combinations. Yoga or boxing thrown in there at some point is another fav combination. Running for the win though! ;)

Am I weird? I run every day in the sun in Florida and my weight stays fixed at 90 kg. You can pretty much use me to calibrate scales. I'm not trying to lose weight or anything, but still I think that's strange.

I wonder how many calories are burned per mile at a 7.5 mph rate in a heat index of 105. It always seems like I'm burning more calories than I'm consuming.

yeah I tend to think that too but I am wrong. According to my Garmin, running uphill on a rocky mountain trail at 10 min/mile pace burns 100 calories. I don't rely on calorie counters. I am into heart rate elevation and sweat. Although, after I drink a 6 pack of hard cider and that means I would have to run 12+ miles to burn it off lol I drink it anyway.