• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photo Contest Round 399: Cities (VOTING CLOSED)

Please vote for your favorite submission from the below contenders:

• 1. mal3volent

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 2. chinup

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 3. leet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. hydroazuanacaine

• 5. TheBeardedMasonite

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 6. Xorkoth

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • 7. madness00

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 8. medbithead

• 9. BehindtheShadow

• 10. White_Rose

• 11. ashwolf22101

• 12. Captain_Heroin

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 13. animal_cookie

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 14. dreamflyer

• 15. Kaden_Nite

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First of all, there is a lot of beautiful photographs in this contest. Good work :)

My vote was given to animal_cookie (picture 13).
I love the contrast between light and darkness. The picture is a juxtaposition between light and dark. Lightness fades into darkness and darkness fades into lightness.
The illuminated paris wheel mirrored in the water caught my eyes at once.

Nice, it could still go a number of ways at this point, keep those votes coming! :)

All your submissions are great. I have to meditate on my vote ?

@Xorkoth

What do you win on this?
I've been itchy for a good few months now to get back into taking "photos" dare I call the stuff I do that!!!

I'm the goddamn English Daido Moriyama you know!

Edit -TheBeardedMasonite Holy shit Batman, now that is a photo!!!!!!!

^ I went for TheBeardedMasonite as well.

ZB you get a custom title and the prestige of having won

Next round is going to be #400 so it would be a good time for anyone whose ever thought of participating

You also get a Lamborghini, a private jet, a $30m mansion of your choosing, and 5 exclusive Caribbean islands.

And that's just the runner-up prize...

Can I also get the mods to dox the shit outta Pete556 & blackmail him to start posting back on The Lounge too?

My photo is so out of place, lol.

The issues/ problems with it (IMHO) are these.........

1) It has no real "meaning" to it, you should get a feeling / vibe off a photo, be that something that makes people say "WTF??!!??" as in the way Roger Ballen works OR making it abstract, anyone could take that shot.

2) You understand the rule of 1/3rd's when you take a photo right? If not image your display cut into a grid of squares 3X3X3 & then use what your taking a photo of to cut lines through it, give the image depth & fill the frame.

3) Way out of distance, I have no idea what you were actually going for....if you were after people get up in their face in a nice way, the eye drifts from one random thing to another in that photo with no real connection in anything of it.

Feel free to say I'm a fucking idiot & my photograpy is shit btw, no offence will be taken.

This IMHO & several others I've shared this with said it is perfect, compare what you did to this & you see where you went wrong now?

The issues/ problems with it (IMHO) are these.........

1) It has no real "meaning" to it, you should get a feeling / vibe off a photo, be that something that makes people say "WTF??!!??" as in the way Roger Ballen works OR making it abstract, anyone could take that shot.

2) You understand the rule of 1/3rd's when you take a photo right? If not image your display cut into a grid of squares 3X3X3 & then use what your taking a photo of to cut lines through it, give the image depth & fill the frame.

3) Way out of distance, I have no idea what you were actually going for....if you were after people get up in their face in a nice way, the eye drifts from one random thing to another in that photo with no real connection in anything of it.

Feel free to say I'm a fucking idiot & my photograpy is shit btw, no offence will be taken.

This IMHO & several others I've shared this with said it is perfect, compare what you did to this & you see where you went wrong now?
View attachment 12782

This image doesn't really demonstrate what you're saying about the rule of thirds though. The horizon needs to be 1/3 of the way down the picture - especially as the sky is particularly featureless. I also think the house would be better shifted to the right a little more with the road central so that your eye naturally follows it around. But composition aside, the theme of this content was 'Cities', not 'Houses in the middle of fuckin nowhere'... ;)

Last edited:
not their picture. used as an example. rough critique for TheBeardedMasonite, a new bluelighter who was bold enough to participate in this good contest.

is a solid photograph. got my vote.

Woah I didn't even know about that rule of thirds bullshit, I just kinda did it naturally. I'm a fucking genius. Vote for me everyone!

If xorkoth wins again he will be totally unbearable and his head won't fit through the door.

• Haha
Reactions: CFC
FUBAR

I was trying to get several points across to him, I was a bit fucked up on crack & K cider at the point so maybe I didn't type my views out the best.

• Haha
Reactions: CFC