• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Roadside Drug Testing (QLD)

Long time lurker, figuer time to offer some insight where i can.

I can unequivocally confirm there is more then 1 Bus. 500 Meters up the road from the Brisbane Northside Regional Police Station @ 2PM Fri 28th there was 2 x Marked Drug Bus's along with 3 Marked Motorcycles 2 Marked New Patrol Cars a Highway Patrol Car and 2 Undercover cars. Was quite a parade truely took me by surprise. Especially sitting outside a chicken farm for those of you whom know the area.

I intentionally drove through 4 times over the course of 40min and never got stopped. Pissed me off to be frank wanted to say i'd had a go.

Strangly all i saw pulled over were Motorcycles and 4WD's during any of my attempts at being flagged down. At any point they would have 3-5 vehicles pulled over.

Something to note as well. One Bus was marked Random Drug and the other was marked Random Alcohol and Drug. I dont recall if they were called detection or test vehicles. Either or the looked exactly the same Merc Vans if my memory serves.

Have a safe new years all,

First drug-driving charges laid
Kay Dibben
January 06, 2008 12:00am

TEN Queensland drivers who tested positive to drugs in roadside checks have had their results confirmed in a laboratory and will be charged.

Police had to wait until Queensland Health Scientific Services analysed the drivers' saliva samples in its laboratory and confirmed the presence of drugs before they could be charged.

All 10 drivers tested positive to driving while under the influence of methamphetamine.

A 42-year-old man has been summonsed to appear in Brisbane Magistrates Court on January 31 and a 25-year-old man will appear in the same court on February 11.

Since random drug-testing of drivers was introduced on December 1, 19 drivers have tested positive to drugs, up until midnight on Thursday.

Police are still awaiting laboratory confirmation of the remaining nine test results.

Of the 19 drivers, 17 tested positive to methamphetamine, one tested positive to both methamphetamine and cannabis and one tested positive for ecstasy.

Drug-drivers can be fined up to $1050, lose their licence or face up to three months' jail.

Police hope to saliva-test about 20,000 drivers in the first year of the random roadside drug-testing operations and expect about 300 to test positive to illicit drugs.

The introduction of drug testing comes as Queensland cut its road toll by more than two-thirds for the official holiday period, with four deaths against last year's 13.

Across Australia, 45 people died on the roads this season compared with 62 last year.

Courier Mail

Police launch 'drug driving' blitz
8, 2008 10:36:00

Roadside drug-testing has begun in the Sunshine Coast.

Police conducted random tests on the Sunshine Coast on New Year's Eve and in Woodford after the annual folk festival last week and one person returned a positive drug test.

The tests check for cannabis, speed, ice and ecstasy use.

North Coast Regional traffic coordinator Acting Inspector Peter Flanders says the drug driving unit will continue to travel to the region throughout the year.

"The drug driving unit will be here on and off," he said.

"It's a bus set-up like RBT is, so they have the capacity to set-up anywhere anytime and that's certainly the way we intend to use them and we'll back that up with intelligence as well.

"Where we have intelligence to suggest that people are perhaps using drugs and driving home, we'll set up in that environment."

ABC Online

Not sure if this belongs in this thread or another one, but a mate tells me there was a bunch of cops in a popular Broadbeach nightclub on the weekend SWABBING people in the club itself. I presume they were using a positive test result as reasonable suspicion for a personal search? Surely this is a massive invasion of privacy and isn't how the swabs are supposed to be used!? It's almost the same as rocking into a club and asking people if you can take a blood test.

that sounds really wrong. this isnt bali or bangkok.

if that is indeed real, which seems highly unlikely because of specifics, they may of been doing it to scare peoiple into getting searched. They cannot just search you. They can't force you to do that in a private venue without the owners permission (and even then you can just exit the premesis if you dont apply with the policy). xxxx wouldn't be doing that (I assume you're reffering to the downstairs club, not the other one), unless he's scared about something thats going to happen there SOON and hiding something.

[EDIT: Don't name industry staff. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone roadside drug tested in Brisbane lately?

I haven't seen much happening of late just wondering what the deal is?

[EDIT: Threads merged. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only on my learners, haven't even been RBT'd yet, but a good friend who goes driving frequently told me that his never seen the RDT's since they were put into use. Apparently there aren't many and they're mainly used around the city.

I havn't seen any either, and none of my friends have, but we don't drive in the city. I'm sick of people going on about them lol

Nope. Havent seen any lately. And i have been rolling all round Brisvegas alot.

Driving is almost enjoyable when the paranoia stops.

Police target drug hot spots
Shannon Molloy | June 1, 2008 - 8:27AM

MORE than 60 Queensland motorists have been caught driving under the influence of drugs since roadside testing was introduced last December.

About 1 per cent of the 5200 drivers tested have been found to have methamphetamines, MDMA or cannabis in their systems.

A similar number of motorists are caught "drug-driving" as those caught drink-driving, police statistics show.

However, police say the figure is not an indication of widespread drug driving on the state's roads.

Testing is targeted at those considered more likely to engage in drug use, such as young drivers, State Traffic Branch acting superintendent Stephen Munro said.

Police have to target drivers because it takes about five minutes to conduct a preliminary breath test and a tongue swab saliva test, Mr Munro said.

"If you look at drink driving, it's relatively easy to apply the test ... but here the process is a lot longer."

Crash data, fatality statistics and black-spot maps are used to set test locations around the state, Mr Munro said.

Stop points can also be established at major exit points of Brisbane's CBD, on the fringe of Fortitude Valley, in the early hours of weekends, he said.

During a co-ordinated operation last April, one in every 68 drivers tested for drugs returned a positive result.

Almost half of regular drug users will get behind the wheel within three hours of use, a study by the Australian Drug Foundation found.

People who use drugs more frequently are also more likely to drive, with 90 per cent of daily cannabis users saying they drive after having smoked the drug.

Mr Munro said it was just as dangerous to drive under the influence of drugs as it was to get behind the wheel when drunk.

"People need to get the message that they can be tested any time, anywhere.

"There is such a high danger involved and it's not the motorist but also the other road users who are at risk."

The Queensland Government has committed to rolling out the technology across the state over the next three years.

"As time progresses, more and more police will be trained to use the equipment and testing will become more prevalent," Mr Munro said

Source: The Sun-Herald

Mr Munro said it was just as dangerous to drive under the influence of drugs as it was to get behind the wheel when drunk.

Agreed but they are not considering the levels of intoxication/impairment at all. How would you feel if you lost your liscence because the police confirmed simply "beer" was in your system ?

The Queensland Government has committed to rolling out the technology across the state over the next three years.

"As time progresses, more and more police will be trained to use the equipment and testing will become more prevalent," Mr Munro said

May god have mercy on us all. This will not have any effect on road deaths and mearly tarnish and ruin peoples lives.

Drivers stoned and dangerous
Damon Guppy
Tuesday, June 3, 2008

STONED drivers beware - you face more roadside drug-test blitzes.

The results of police roadside random checks at the weekend show there are four times as many drug-drivers on our roads as there are drink-drivers.

Senior police are so alarmed they have vowed to get the Brisbane-based Roads Drug Testing Unit back for regular blitzes.

"This is the first time the unit has been deployed in the Far North," Insp Bob Waters said. "This has shown us there is a problem here with people driving with illicit drugs in their system.

"We’ll request that they come back here on a regular basis to assist local police."

Of 140 drivers tested for drugs, six tested positive for either cannabis or ecstasy – a rate of one in every 24 drivers.

In the same period, there were only 22 drink-drivers caught out of 2147 tested – a rate of one in 98.

One of the motorists detected in the Far North had the highest level of cannabis in his system recorded in Queensland since roadside drug testing began.

Insp Waters said a number of other people tested positive for drugs during the preliminary roadside tests but were negative in the secondary tests.

"It concerns us because people who are driving around after taking illicit drugs are as dangerous as drink-drivers," he said.

"Our record for drink-drivers in the region is historically unacceptable, so this is a worry.

"It sends a message to the motoring public."

Police figures for 2006/07 showed the Far North had the highest rate of drug offences in the state.

In that time, about 1900 charges – or 36 a week – were laid for possession of cannabis, amphetamines, ecstasy and other illegal drugs.

Roadside drug-testing, which involves saliva swabs taken from the driver’s tongue, was introduced in Queensland in December last year.

Results from the initial test are usually processed within five minutes.

Police expected to test about 20,000 people across Queensland in the first year of the law being introduced.

People convicted of driving under the influence of illegal drugs face $1000 fines, three months’ jail and licence suspension.

Insp Waters said the process was as random as roadside breath-testing for drink-drivers and motorists were not chosen because of their behaviour.

He said people who took prescription drugs should talk to their doctor to determine whether their driving abililities could be compromised.

Cairns Post

hoptis said:
He said people who took prescription drugs should talk to their doctor to determine whether their driving abililities could be compromised.
thats my only worry in regards to this bullshit.

i wonder out of how many of those drunk drivers had priors?