• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Roadside Drug Testing (QLD)

Recently, saliva has been used to realise on-site tests with special devices that permit to perform drug assays immediately at the site of specimen collection. These assays on saliva proved to be sufficiently sensitive for the detection of recent cocaine and amphetamine abuse in suspected users. However, the application of on-site testing of saliva after controlled administration of amphetamine or related compounds was never performed.

Eight healthy volunteers, recreational users of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), were administered with an oral 100 mg dose in a double blind, cross-over with random treatment assignment, balanced with placebo clinical trial. Drugwipe® Amphetamines analytical device was wiped on the tongue of the subjects at different time-intervals ranging from 0 to 24 hours after administration. Furthermore, at each time, a saliva sample (1-2 ml) was obtained by spitting into a plastic tube. The test was reapplied in the laboratory by pipetting 2 ml of saliva on the device pad. The colour reaction in the test-area of the Drugwipe® was measured with the Drugread® hand photometer. Quantitative analyses of salivary samples were also performed by GC/MS. Drugwipe® performed better if applied to a saliva sample in the laboratory than directly on the tongue. At 1.5 and 4 hours after drug administration, 100% subjects gave a positive result, while at 6 hours after treatment 1 out of 8 subjects gave a negative result. At 24 hours, no positive results were observed. Saliva samples from placebo treatment never showed a false positive result. Negative results were observed when MDMA salivary concentrations were under 650 ng/ml.

Although the number of subjects participating in this study is limited, the results support saliva testing with Drugwipe® and Drugread® for monitoring MDMA in the early hours after its use. It may help to screen potentially intoxicated drivers in roadside on site- testing and in the workplace drug testing, when appropriate confirmation with a chromatographic method in saliva can be performed.

Taken from; http://www.tiaft.org/about/yscw2001_abstract08.php

I don't know how different the testing equipment is the police are using but I would want to be driving even 10 hours after dropping, let alone 5...

After 5 hrs of dropping decent mdma your body/brain would still be scat man.
What on average a decent pill has around 3 hrs of effects yeah? So 2 hrs to recover from that is nothing. Driving 5 hrs after dropping seems dangerous to yourself and others. And im not judging i may have done it in the past, but the more i think about it now the more i think i was stupid if i did by endangering myself and others.

Dont you think? 10 hrs i would imagine some decent recovery time has been had by the brain and body tho.

Pretty much everyone I know drives after pills after clubbing/racing in Brisbane. Theyre probably going to catch quite a few if they keep the operations up.

Random roadside drug testing, Gold Coast
Last updated 02/12/2007

Police conducted random roadside drug testing today on the Gold Coast. The Roadside Drug Driving Unit and officers from State Traffic Task Force conducted traffic operations on The Spit from 12md until approximately 3.45pm. Random breath tests were conducted on 73 drivers, with one positive result. 33 of these drivers were also tested for drugs, with no positive detections. Police will continue to conduct random roadside drug testing rolling the testing sites throughout the State.

QLD Police

zero positives hey?
interesting.. what amazing resource magagment.

This was talked about in another thread and i think its for NSW, but assume it goes the same for other states also..

If a person refuses to be tested at the roadside they can be fined $1,100. They will also have to accompany a Police officer to the Police truck where they will have to provide a sample of their oral fluid.

If they refuse to provide an saliva sample a maximum fine of $3,300 applies, plus licence disqualification for a minimum of six months up to an unlimited period.

A driver who refuses to be tested can also be prohibited from driving for 24 hours by Police.

So if you're high as a kite you can basically buy your way out of it all with 6 months no license, and $3,000 fine?
Where as if they found 3 different drugs in you at high concentrqations surely a judge would suspend you for at least a year, or 18 months, and fine you about $3000 anyway

poledriver said:
After 5 hrs of dropping decent mdma your body/brain would still be scat man.
What on average a decent pill has around 3 hrs of effects yeah? So 2 hrs to recover from that is nothing. Driving 5 hrs after dropping seems dangerous to yourself and others. And im not judging i may have done it in the past, but the more i think about it now the more i think i was stupid if i did by endangering myself and others.

Dont you think? 10 hrs i would imagine some decent recovery time has been had by the brain and body tho.

I only said 5hours because "Under the test, a saliva swab could establish whether a driver had used marijuana within two hours, or heroin, cocaine or amphetamines within five hours." Was mentioned in a news report from the courier mail on the first page of this thread.

EDIT: didnt realise they don't actually mention MDMA there... ahaha maybe I should learn to read...

Last edited:
I thought they weren't testing for Opiates?

Perhaps another example of bull-shit media stories. These Journos need to get their facts straight.

And it would be ABOUT FUCKING TIME THEY DID!

Drunk Bus (with drug equipment for people wo don't seem impaired drunk but otherwise)

The normal spor near Broadbeach Caltex/Macdonalds Gold Coast Friday 7th and 8th.
10pm-4am.

Thursday 6th 10pm-late Tugun before airport and new bypass area. They use this area a fair bit.

Safe driving everybody.

Dont be fooled by driving the road just before it. If you havent been drinking remain calm if you are pulled over, and accept tyhe breath test. Be friendly and dont act suspicious, you probably won't be swabbed unless you fit a stereotype. From what I hear the Gold Coast police stations aren't really upto scratch as Brisbane yet on the whole new drug test technology. As I said though they are targetting young people, thats why that attacked the spit, people race there a lot and its a hang out area for young rice car heads.

They're more after drinking and hoons.

Did you know QLD police have bought lowered, tinted sports cars and the like, even new souped up X8Rs and they're using them from Beenleigh/Logan down to the Gold Coast on the M1 in loops, where they rev the motor a few times and go ahead a bit... wait for you to race them.. then the headlights turn from yellow to blue and red.... They're looking for any reason to defect cars, I believe one car was defected and towed because his sub woofer was not installed properly.

Last edited:
mikey_86 said:
I only said 5hours because "Under the test, a saliva swab could establish whether a driver had used marijuana within two hours, or heroin, cocaine or amphetamines within five hours." Was mentioned in a news report from the courier mail on the first page of this thread.

EDIT: didnt realise they don't actually mention MDMA there... ahaha maybe I should learn to read...

Dont worry about it, i do it all the time (especially on a small lappy screen)

Anyway what is the time from to drive again after pills? I guess it depends on if the pill has meth in it too?

This could get hard to work out and remember... Wonder if there will be any device we can buy eventually to give a read out that says -

ACOHOL TEST; PASSED,
MDMA TEST; PASSED,
POT TEST; FAILED,
METH TEST; PASSED

etc... lol

Is it right to call ecstasy 'Methamphetamines' ? Doesn't that mean meth/glass/crystal?

13. What type of drugs are being tested?

* Alcohol
* Marijuana (THC)
* Cocaine
* Benzodiazepines
* Amphetamine (Speed)
* Methamphetamines (Ecstasy)
* Opiates (Heroin)

Is that correct how they refer to MDMA as methamphetamine?

I know it's an abbreviated reference to 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine

But is that correct? If a DD said to me "hey man want to buy some methamphetamines?" I'd be thinking he was selling crystal meth...

Am i wrong?

On these road side tests? THC, MDMA which shows up as Methamphetamine i believe on the first test, it can be distingulished later... and alcohol using standard alco breath tests.... Actually i think the initial test might even show positives for psuedo(cold and flu meds(, speed/amphetamine, dexxies, etc...

the work test things, they just show the same sign if its meth or mdma.. if you have had amphetamine it wont show as meth, if youve had meth it wont shoe as ampphetamine, but if you've had mdma, it shows under meth.

Last edited:
And what about those of us who are legally prescribed benzo's or methylphenidate... (if ritalin comes up positive for ampetamines?) are going to have to carry around a prescription with us every time we drive?

a bottle i guess, or you just argue in court (yes in your time) you're prescribed to them. But I'm pretty sure phase 3 of the testing is done in a lab so they will know exactly what you had. They could still start a case on ritalin driving though and make sure your doctor gives you a cert that you are capable of driving on it and have ADD and its effects do not stop you from losing motor control (in both ways)

How accurate are new roadside drug tests?
12:00a.m. 5 December 2007
By Carolyn Tucker

Lawyers are lining up to question the accuracy and purpose of new roadside drug tests, claiming there is insufficient scientific evidence to justify the government’s random approach.

Launching the new roadside tests last week, Police Minister Judy Spence said there would be zero tolerance for those who climbed behind the wheel under the influence of marijuana, speed, ice or ecstasy.

Ms Spence said those were caught would face fines of up to $1050 and lose their licence for up to nine months for a first offence.

But some in the legal community, who prefer not to be named, suggested the new laws appeared to be more about detecting drug use in the community than getting unsafe drivers off the road.

President of the Council for Civil Liberties Michael Cope said for the first time in Queensland, it would become an offence to have certain illicit drugs in your system, regardless of whether those substances were causing any driving impairment.

"As far as we are concerned there is no established mechanism for relating the amount of drug in your system to impairment, which will vary significantly from one individual to another," Mr Cope said.

"There are also other issues abut the testing equipment potentially producing false positives, including for the use of common prescription drugs."

Mr Cope said research conducted in Canada found drug testing had returned false positives for 100 legally prescribed drugs.

Mr Cope said there was also concern that some drugs, such as cannabis, could linger in a person’s system.

Sunshine Coast defence solicitor Chelsea Emery said she believed there were still a number of unanswered questions about the new laws and there was little reference to what levels of a drug would determine any impairment.

"It’s known that cannabis metabolites stay in your system for about four weeks, even though the substance which gives the drug high is long gone.

"Does this mean you could smoke cannabis at a party – or even ingest second-hand smoke – and be random drug-tested weeks later, and then charged with an offence?"

Sunshine Coast Daily

Illegal having a drug in you? Only if it counts as public intoxication.

I think what Michael Cope was trying to get at is that the tests aren't designed to detect impairment, rather, they are used to indicate recent drug use of an individual. He is trying to raise the issue that our civil liberties are slowly being eroded away without us noticing.