• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

RIP PottedMeat

How very sad.....and I was just reading and laughing at some his latest posts a while ago :(
Take care Britney....<3

how sad and unexpected.. i am sorry for your loss, britney, he was definitely a valued member of the community :(

best name on bl, evar.

Oh my goodness, I just just had a PM conversation with this person. Wow, this is the first BLer I've known to have entered the shrine. Wow. I'm speechless. His last PM is seriously still in the front of my inbox. Again, I'm speechless. This is terrible news.

Very very sad news. <3 <3

He was so helpful in many forums but particularly in Legal Discussion. He helped countless number of bluelighters with his free and thoughtful advice.

He will be missed by many, including myself.

My thoughts, Britney.

He messaged me just a few weeks ago out of the blue, and it was good to hear from him because he's written so much advice that has been useful to others and to me, personally. He was the type of person that got me excited about law even before I started any formal training. And all these years later, I was about to ask him if he'd consider coming aboard as a moderator because he obviously had profound legal expertise.

In the last message I got from him, he asked to have his post on generic sentencing questions saved so that he did "not have to repeat it every month or so." The generic sentencing questions addressed in his post, where a client effectively asks you to predict how a judge will rule in the future, are the bane of a criminal lawyer’s existence, since they are impossible to answer without a crystal ball. And I'm glad his post was saved and put at the top of the forum for him to see. In fact, I just checked and it looks like there are nearly eight years of advice from PottedMeat. He has contributed longer to the Legal Discussion community than anyone else. That probably equals a lot of billable hours for a lawyer, but he was willing to help people here for free. I cannot say that I knew him well, but the fact that he willingly gave so much for so long, says a lot about the man.

I had a reply, including a ‘thank you,’ saved in Notepad in response to his last message but regrettably I never sent it to him. So if it's not too late, a big thank you and best wishes for a safe journey to PottedMeat, and in case he's reading, here's the message from 4/1 that I never got around to sending...

Hi PM --

There used to be a "What's going to happen to me?" sticky to deal with the deluge of threads in which people ask for a sentencing prediction. It might be time to incorporate your post and sticky this back up for a while (or maybe we can start a handicapping and betting thread to take wagers on the outcomes for each case :)).

Always appreciate your help, PM.

cheers,
bq

Best wishes to you and your family, Britney. <3 Your father was a great help here.

I had also been truly appreciating PottedMeat's participation in the Legal Discussion forum. He was a good man who enjoyed sharing his experience and helping people. Recently, he sent me a private message apologizing for a post where he got a bit testy. He said he was sorry for being a dick. My response was that him being a dick is like a normal person on a normal day; i.e., even when he was having a bad day he was still a very decent human being.

Britney, please accept my sincere condolences for your loss. <3

Wow... Britney I am so sorry :( My heart goes out to you and your family. You poor thing.

I only knew him briefly, but he was a great guy :) Hopefully you have lots of fond memories.

I am so sorry.

thanks, everyone. it means a lot to me to hear so many people saying positive things about my dad. he went through a lot of pain, emotional and physical, but he was always extremely generous and caring. hopefully he was able to show that on these forums. thanks for all your kind words.

Wow, I've been super busy for the past week and come back to this. It is truly heartbreaking. Steve was one of the greatest people I have ever known. He was always kind, caring, and helpful. He was always quick to share his knowledge, and never expected anything in return. Over the last 6 years, I've had many great conversations with him, and those good times will not be forgotten. Steve was a great asset to this site, as well as his family and friends, and he will be sorely missed by all.

Thanks for the great times buddy!

RIP

Thats a familiar name to me as well, we posted in a lot of the same places.

Sorry for your loss Britney, RIP PottedMeat.

Aw man, this is really shitty news. I liked his straight forward & direct posting style.

Sorry for your loss Britney, may he rest in peace. <3

OMG I just sent him a pm last week welcoming him back to BL. :(

I wish all the wellness to your family and may only goodness and happy memories replace the feelings of loss that you all must feel.

much love to your family.

xox

04-22-09

- hey,

i noticed -your post in support.. wanted to warmly welcome you back to the bluefront.

things changed a lot, but for me it is really nice to see those of us that come back.

no matter where you go, always a home at bl.

lol sorry, i got high and now im all sentimental.

see ya 'round

xox

My condolences. He had a spark that came through in his posts. I'm sure you saw it every day you were with him.

RIP.

He was a valued poster most definitely, and you could tell even through the posts this is someone I want to meet.

R.I.P

:(

With the passing of a tear
Comes a passing of a fear,
And soon enough, a life.
After time has healed the soul,
Allowed you to forget your fear,
Emptied your deepest pool of tears,
You too will be reborn.

I always read his posts, and they made me smile and laugh all the time. Its amazing how fast people go... live life to the fullest everyday. Im sorry for your loss....