• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Retro Game Emulators?

exactly my thoughts.
yesterday smoked some weed and noids and played dragonball z budokai tenkaichi 3. never tried db for ps3 but i doubt it can beat the ps2 game.

My first question is when did the NDS and PSP become "retro" =D?

And as for me... I'm never without SNES emulation. I'm a huge fan of RPGs and SNES has most of the best that were ever made.

Currently I am playing a Chrono Trigger fan hack called Crimson Echoes that fills in the story that happened between Trigger and Cross. Its like 98% finished or some crap - SquareEnix sent a cease and desist to the developers. You pretty much have to play with cheats or you'll die constantly because they never got the battle system tweaked properly. Even leveled at 99 and max stats, you will pretty much lose at least one character every battle when you get around the 10 hour mark in the game.

I hate ePSXe though... Its so damn finicky with plugins (on the PC anyway, I've never tried PS emulation on my phone). PCSX2 runs faster than ePSXe does and that's running PS2 games in higher quality than the original PS2. The developers were supposedly going to add on support for PSX games but I haven't been following the project.

What phones are you running these on?

I have the HTC One and it gets hot playing the SNES emulator (SNES9x+), I couldn't imagine trying for PSX on it. Kind of obnoxious really. It stops charging if it hits 109F.

^My first question is: are you female? And my second: if so, are you single? :D

when did the NDS and PSP become "retro" =D?

According to this site, they aren't retro yet ;) (I've been an NES hacker since 2010, and have contributed a few codes. I'll fulfill one free NES cheat request to the first person who can figure out my moniker there :))

I hate ePSXe though... Its so damn finicky with plugins (on the PC anyway, I've never tried PS emulation on my phone).

Yeah, but of all the PS emulators I've tried, it plays Castlevania: SOTN with the fewest glitches.

My first question is when did the NDS and PSP become "retro" =D?

And as for me... I'm never without SNES emulation. I'm a huge fan of RPGs and SNES has most of the best that were ever made.

Currently I am playing a Chrono Trigger fan hack called Crimson Echoes that fills in the story that happened between Trigger and Cross. Its like 98% finished or some crap - SquareEnix sent a cease and desist to the developers. You pretty much have to play with cheats or you'll die constantly because they never got the battle system tweaked properly. Even leveled at 99 and max stats, you will pretty much lose at least one character every battle when you get around the 10 hour mark in the game.

I hate ePSXe though... Its so damn finicky with plugins (on the PC anyway, I've never tried PS emulation on my phone). PCSX2 runs faster than ePSXe does and that's running PS2 games in higher quality than the original PS2. The developers were supposedly going to add on support for PSX games but I haven't been following the project.

What phones are you running these on?

I have the HTC One and it gets hot playing the SNES emulator (SNES9x+), I couldn't imagine trying for PSX on it. Kind of obnoxious really. It stops charging if it hits 109F.

Yeah, I love snes9x, it's my favourite emulator of all actually. Favourite game on that is earthbound. Your htc one should easily have the muscle to run psx, although the heating issue sounds worrying. I've managed to run epsxe on nexus 7, galaxy tab 2, and galaxy note 2. I prefer the note 2 for its perfect (IMO) size and exaggerated colours. Playing resi 3 on a phone is just SWEET. If you're not having luck with epsxe, maybe fpse would work out better for you? it's got a lot of fans and good reviews. Your chrono trigger sequel sounds pretty cool; I loved the original.

Another great emulator is N64oid: almost 100% compatibility, and the roms are Tiny compared to psx; average size of a 64 rom is around 4 mb. And of course, playing the first 3d Zelda games is a big thing. Unfortunately, the N64 was a frigging wasteland for RPGs.

Edit: There's a good DOS emulator for android: Dosbox; I can get the older 2d games to run, but am having trouble with anything more advanced, such as fallout or morrowind.

Last edited:
Just checked out your link; really fantastic, and never would have heard of it, so thanks. Does it let you play every game for those systems?

^My first question is: are you female? And my second: if so, are you single? :D

LOL! Male here, sorry. I don't know why so many think I'm a female XD

According to this site, they aren't retro yet ;) (I've been an NES hacker since 2010, and have contributed a few codes. I'll fulfill one free NES cheat request to the first person who can figure out my moniker there :))

NES? Its been AGES since I've played any NES games. I'm not terribly fond of the emulators. Although I can say that now that I discovered the Final Fantasy VII NES ROM's existence, I'm tempted.

Yeah, but of all the PS emulators I've tried, it plays Castlevania: SOTN with the fewest glitches.

Why not just play it in PPSSPP via (Unlockable on the 2nd stage of Dracula X Chronicles)? The PSP version is far better than the original SOTN and PPSSPP is far superior to any PSX emulator.

EDIT: Nevermind, PPSSPP has issues with the DXC release. Some builds work, others don't. Its not playable in the current build.

Yeah, I love snes9x, it's my favourite emulator of all actually. Favourite game on that is earthbound. Your htc one should easily have the muscle to run psx, although the heating issue sounds worrying. I've managed to run epsxe on nexus 7, galaxy tab 2, and galaxy note 2. I prefer the note 2 for its perfect (IMO) size and exaggerated colours. Playing resi 3 on a phone is just SWEET. If you're not having luck with epsxe, maybe fpse would work out better for you? it's got a lot of fans and good reviews. Your chrono trigger sequel sounds pretty cool; I loved the original.

ZSNES is my favorite to be honest. I've used it for years. It was the nail in the coffin when ZSNES was the only emulator that could play Star Ocean. I will admit that SNES9x EX+ is a kickass emulator though and its even better that its 100% free on Android.

Another great emulator is N64oid: almost 100% compatibility, and the roms are Tiny compared to psx; average size of a 64 rom is around 4 mb. And of course, playing the first 3d Zelda games is a big thing. Unfortunately, the N64 was a frigging wasteland for RPGs.

Yeah, I hated the N64.

Edit: There's a good DOS emulator for android: Dosbox; I can get the older 2d games to run, but am having trouble with anything more advanced, such as fallout or morrowind.

DOSBox is okay. I was using it in Linux for awhile. I prefer using a VMWare virtual machine with an MS-DOS and Windows 95 VM though.

Last edited:
LOL! Male here, sorry. I don't know why so many think I'm a female XD

Figures! A Bluelighter who is into SNES RPGs just seemed too... unlikely :\

NES? Its been AGES since I've played any NES games. I'm not terribly fond of the emulators. Although I can say that now that I discovered the Final Fantasy VII NES ROM's existence, I'm tempted.

Have you tried Nestopia and VirtuaNES? Nestopia's decent. There's also FCEUX, but it's mainly for hackers and those who prefer accuracy over performance (there always seems to be screen-tearing w/ that emu).

I rarely play NES games anymore. Learning to hack them brought back some of the fun for a while, as I was able to accomplish all that good stuff that I could never do with a Game Genie (remote control weapons, break all blocks, flying cheats).

Why not just play it in PPSSPP via (Unlockable on the 2nd stage of Dracula X Chronicles)? The PSP version is far better than the original SOTN and PPSSPP is far superior to any PSX emulator.

EDIT: Nevermind, PPSSPP has issues with the DXC release. Some builds work, others don't. Its not playable in the current build.

Probably wasn't going to happen anyway. Most of the time I'm on a super slow internet connection, so I was lucky to get SOTN at all.

ZSNES is my favorite to be honest. I've used it for years.

Same here. Never had much luck with Snes9x. I *really* like smooth scrolling, and if I can't get it to work with a particular retro emulator, I look elsewhere. Besides, trying to hack with Snes9x was a nightmare, since adding codes led to too many crashes.

Last edited:
Looks like emulation is out for me right now; I've cracked my bastarding phone screen, and replacing it is gonna cost a fortune. It's too bad; I'd just d-loaded syphon filter, resi 2, and vandal hearts for epsxe.

Shit happens, I guess.

^Don't you have a Nexus? And what are you posting with now? Sucks though! Would it be cheaper to buy a new phone?

BTW, has anyone here played Alundra for the original Playstation? It was supposed to be the spiritual successor to Landstalker, a game I enjoyed quite a bit for the Genesis.

I also wanted to play Ladystalker (bad name) for SNES which was also considered a sequel to Landstalker, but it's in Japanese, and the people working on an English translation never finished the job :(

Nah, it's a contract galaxy note 2 on contract, and I'm literally kicking myself for not getting insurance. Luckily, the phone itself works fine; it's just the screen that's cracked, so I'm hoping I won't be paying crazy money for the fix. I think it would be cheaper to get it repaired; I think the note 2 is like half a grand to buy new; way out of my budget.

Oh yeah, I'm posting with my ipad, the little one. It's literally the only internet-capable device I have right now - I don't have a desktop. It's not unlocked, so emulation is out for me for now. IMHO android is THE best os for emulation, at least on a mobile device.

^Sorry to hear that. If you were close by, I'd give you this desktop that my neighbor handed me (his employer got new computers). Probably can't do much more than emulate 16-bit consoles, but I really haven't scoped out its specs yet (I opened it and it didn't seem to have a video card).

Maybe go dumpster diving? People literally throw away their old units. I don't know if it's a regional thing or what, but it seems wasteful. There's always somebody willing to take an old computer, but I guess the real problem is that there's no donation program anywhere :\

Luckily, there is actually a pc recycling charity that sell old desktops for pennies, near enough. It's weird: I've never actually owned a PC; it's always been tabs and phones for me.

Anyway, I'm not giving up on my note;.im gonna get that damn screen replaced if it bankrupts me...

Luckily, there is actually a pc recycling charity that sell old desktops for pennies, near enough. It's weird: I've never actually owned a PC; it's always been tabs and phones for me.

Well it might be worth looking into, just so you have backup entertainment. You might even find a something decent enough to play Playstation and N64 games. Good luck getting NDS to work though, as NDS emus always require fast CPUs. Look into the JIT versions of DeSmuME, as they are the fastest NDS emulators out there right now. If you do buy a PC, make sure the computer has a video card. Look up PS and N64 emu requirements to get an idea of what you'll need.

I'm probably just gonna give up on my emulators for the mean time (saying that my mums galaxy fame can handle snes and gba no problem, luckily enough). So I'm just playing my consoles for now; 360 and ps2 (I mostly play the ps2).

I'm a bit of a hoarder by nature, and they're so damn cheap, I would literally be here all day writing a list; I've got close to 200 now. The ones I'm most into are silent hill, gran turismo, the resi series, San Andreas, and I'm a major rpg fan -right now I'm playing the first kingdom hearts, and I got Valkyrie profile 2 the other day, so I'll have to load that up. (I loved the original on psx). Blacks also good, but I found some of the other fps games disappointing: the tech just hadn't caught up by that point. (Kill zone is also good IMO) I'm pretty gutted they never made a parasite Eve 3 for ps2; that's one of my favourite psx games.

Way I see it is in a couple of years, it's gonna be very hard to buy them in shops, so I'm kind of buying them while I can right now.

Btw anybody tried the new xbox yet? I probably will get one some day, but I never buy a console close to launch; limited game selection, high priced games, plus I hate buying a console only to see it flop big time.

Edit: I'm bidding on a dreamcast now. Haven't played one for years, so nostalgia overload! The dreamcast just didn't deserve to die so young IMHO it was one of the greatest consoles ever made.

Last edited: