• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Responsible benzo use?

eclips

Greenlighter
Joined
Oct 1, 2026
Messages
1
Hello all, my first time posting but I have lurked for years.

I've used benzos off and on for over 10 years now but recently I've started using more and I want to learn about using them responsibly in order minimize physical dependence. From online articles I've read and on Reddit, it seems the consensus is that Xanax is more addictive than Klonopin, so I was considering switching to that from Xanax, however looking at some threads here the consensus seems to be that the longer acting benzos like Klonopin actually cause more dependence because they last longer. And the research does seem to show that a longer duration causes more GABA-A downregulation, which is responsible for the nastier withdrawal effects people talk about (seizures etc.). All this is to say I'm kind of confused and don't want to put myself in a bad position with these drugs.

I guess my question is, what does responsible benzo use look like in your opinion? if I took 1mg Xanax 2 - 3 times a week how bad would the withdrawals be if I quit cold turkey? How does the dependency risk of Xanax compare to phenibut (I have more experience with that drug)?
 
As far as I'm aware 1mg xanax (alprazolam) 2-3x per week would not cause withdrawals... Like 2-3x a week is not even a "habit" for a drug with a duration of action measured in hours, so you wouldn't be "quitting" if you stopped doing this. I mean I guess you would be technically but this terminology is usually reserved for substances taken daily, or almost daily, at least, such that when you wake up you're already "withdrawing" slightly...

(EDIT: I'm not a doctor, the above paragraph isn't medical advice, anyone reading this thinking I'm saying using alprazolam 2-3x a week is 100% safe, I quite explicitly am not. I'm just saying that relatively speaking - this does not sound that bad - to me! obviously... YMMV! Same goes for anything else I've said here, the dangers depend on a lot of factors, I feel like you probably realize that already but since a few people have commented that even this relatively miniscule level of usage may not be entirely safe I feel the need to add that this is also true...)

"Dependency risk" is a bit harder to quantify, alprazolam is not a benzo that's ever really appealed to me but that said I'd say the dependency risk is higher. Actually that's a lie that it's never appealed to me, I find alprazolam extremely compulsive, it just hasn't been "habit forming" for me personally because when I have taken it it's generally been SO compulsive that it makes me do enough weird shit in a short enough time to put me off taking it ever again. Not because I enjoy taking it as such, mind... actually maybe that's a lie too, I just don't remember enjoying it but I must have been getting something out of it while I was on it for it to be compulsive, it just has way too much of a sobriety delusion for me that I escalate dose way too easily.

Phenibut I think has a much lower risk of dependence just because you basically cannot take it multiple days in a row without escalating the dose ridiculously, if you're a person that thinks about that kind of thing, which it sounds like you are.

Generally speaking faster onset and shorter duration means greater addictivity and a higher dependency risk, phenibut has quite a drawn out duration, and lasts quite a long time compared to xanax which hits quickly and fades quickly as well.

I can't (or shouldn't) speak biochemically because I don't have the credentials to do so, beyond that I don't know by what metric klonopin (clonazepam) can be said to have a greater dependency risk, a lot of this depends on the person but I don't personally consider clonazepam to be particularly dangerous, or habit forming. On the other hand I've taken a lot more clonazepam than I have taken alprazolam, for that exact reason, but my usage is usually very premeditated, I'll take between 2-4mg a day for a few months at a time then taper off. I know people talk about kindling and all that shit and I'm not saying this is gonna be true for everyone but I just don't seem to have much of an issue jumping off from about 2mg/day after months of staying pretty solidly within that range, the most I've escalated up to and then jumped off cold turkey was 6mg/day which I'd say was not advisable and I don't plan to do that again but it was a stressful time and just bad planning on my part suddenly running out.

To give some context prior to ever messing with benzos I was taking phenibut, 2-2.5g / day, 2-4x week, for months at a time on and off for, quite possibly almost 10 years. I'd consider clonazepam to be definitely sketchier than phenibut for aforementioned reasons - it's just much easier to escalate your dose, and typically when I do take clonazepam now I'll take it essentially daily for a while which I did not do with phenibut, also for obvious reasons.

Generally diazepam I believe is still the benzo-of-choice for tapering from long-duration dependence because it has an extremely long duration of action, as far as I'm aware, so on that basis clonazepam should be "safer" than alprazolam. I'm not sure how to look at that pharmacologically in terms of GABA-A downregulation and whatnot but I'm not sure it really matters, in this context... Unless you have some specific reason to be thinking about this stuff or just find it interesting (which is valid) IMHO when you've already decided to take SOME kind of benzo, or other class of intoxicant, and start obsessing about receptor binding affinities and the like, it's mostly just adding an unnecessary layer of obfuscation that most of the time just serves as a kind of post-hoc rationalization of whatever subconscious decision you've already made, so you can say to yourself well of course X drug is a better decision than Y drug because of this activity at that receptor... whereas in reality the neuropharmacology is far more complicated than that and (again, in this specific context, comparing benzos) not really going to outweigh your own individual neuronal wiring.

Of course longer duration benzos cause more neurological changes, be in GABA-A downregulation or something else - very broadly speaking - but that's because you spend more time under the influence of the drug. It's not quite an apples and oranges comparison but it's also not quite apples and apples.
 
Last edited:
I have many years of experience with benzos.

Initially, I found that if I took 0.5 mg of alprazolam, I needed to wait roughly 9–10 days for it to have the same hypnotic effect. That remains true even today.

I never experienced withdrawal symptoms from taking alprazolam itself, although I never took it more than three times a week. However, as I sometimes desired the hypnotic effect rather than the anxiolytic effect, so sometimes took longer breaks on purpose.

Eventually, I switched to diazepam because people said it was less addictive. Clonazepam I don't enjoy at all.

So I took 5 mg of diazepam. Never for more than two days in a row. Never more than three times per week. Diazepam was better in every way actually, and some charts say that 5 mg of diazepam is equivalent to 0.25 mg of alprazolam. I thought this was genius.

I did this for like 2 years, the diazepam was still effective at this dose. Then I decided to try stop for 30 days and I experienced some really bad withdrawal symptoms. I really thought I was going psychotic and losing my mind. Eventually, it got better, and after staying clean for 30 days, I thought, 'Heck! That couldn't have been withdrawal. No way could my irregular use of a low dose of diazepam cause this.' So, I started using it again for 30 days, following the same rules and then tried to stop, and I'm not kidding when I say the horrible withdrawal symptoms started again. I felt like a soldier in a trench being bombed. No pun intended. It's really like torture, you are in hiding but constantly bombed. It took another 30 days or so to feel normal again.

It was so bad that I swore I would never take benzos again. However, after six months of sobriety, I started to take them again. Even when I tried to use them less consistently, I still experienced withdrawal symptoms after a month of inconsistent use (I guess it was kindling), but luckily the withdrawal symptoms were very mild this time. And I really can't even look at diazepam anymore though. So I stayed sober for a few months again.

But I still want to take benzos every now and again, I don't have to, but they make life way easier during some situations, I don't think I need to explain, so I just stick to good old alprazolam again. So far, so good. I try to avoid taking it more than three times a month (not week, month) in lowest dose possible. And if only slightly possible I prefer different medication, like hydroxizine or pregabalin. I'm just really careful after the hell I experienced.

So there's that.

My conclusion is that... Alprazolam is like a shot of liquor that's over quickly, whereas diazepam is like slowly sipping a beer all day. Can you guess which one is going to be worse to wean off? Diazepam, because the body will adjust due to its long half-life. But if you are already addicted to benzos, then yes of course Diazepam is great for tapering, because your body is adjusted to benzos anyway... But I'll never use long half-life benzos again.

Eh yeah... anyway, and if I wanna get high and enjoy myself, I just abuse the hell out of pregabalin for a few days. The good thing is I actually remember most of it, unlike benzos which give me amnesia. I also don't slur, act retarded, and it actually feels euphoric, is cheaper and probably safer. That said, you will withdraw too from Pregabalin eventually, it happens to me almost always I take more than 150mg nowadays, but it lasts like 3-5 days and is way milder.

But in the end, you really need to find what works the best for you.
 
Last edited:
any benzo usage has dependency risk based on frequency of use and dosage.

you need to consider how long it takes for the drug and it's metabolites to be eliminated from your system, as well as receptor and hormone impact, along with how long it takes to return to baseline.

Just because Xanax/Alprazolam is eliminated from your system quickly (1-3 days) doesn't mean that you won't have withdrawal issues if you're a long term user taking it once every 3 days, your receptors aren't recovering that fast and every time you pop another they drop down progressively lower over time. Take Xanax weekly and it's 2-6 weeks for your receptors to fully recover once you stop taking it....

some more info here, though this doesn't cover metabolites so total elimination for diazepam is likely much longer

 
Last edited:
Top