• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Religions of the future

rant said:
I truly believe that religion as we know it is dying

Actually, it will probably be less of a community experience and more of a one-on-one or personal kind of thing.

Rates of participation in church and identification as religious or spiritual in surveys say otherwise. If anything, a turn away from communal churches and toward individual spirituality in the US followed as lefties became disgusted with political mobilization of the Evangelical right, in the absence of strong left organization around religion. The pattern holds solely for white people (Fischer and Hout).
I dunno. Mid-Eastern monotheism made through the transition to modernity with minor tweaking, so why would we expect radical change in the future?

ebola

Buddhism and / or Taoism. The future holds an increasing mechanization of humanity. Eventually (in the very distant future) I think technology will become advanced enough that the brain will be able to exist and function to control machines - eventually the capability of these machines to utilize brainpower and physical strength will outstrip the human body.

The ultimate singularity of existence, the idea of utilizing underlying universal chaos to one's advantage, and the idea that the physical is limiting all suit the idea of evolution. While remaining true to their roots, the aforementioned religions are totally suited to the idea of an evolving consciousness, and reaching for higher perception.

It may sound crazy to some, but I sincerely believe that something along these lines will occur. It just seems like the pattern of humanity to group together, and ultimately merge into a singular entity. As far as the ideas of OP go, both of these religions and their philosophies emphasize the ambiguous, as the physical is limiting in terms of perception. Additionally, placing the brain in a machine could ultimately lead to a search for immortality, another key idea behind Taoism and the myths of many world cultures...

"Bionic Bodhi-beings", perhaps.

okay...but don't Daoists and philosophers of psychedelia express the same core spiritual truths as those other religions? Well, Buddhists too.

philosophers of psychedelia seem to not make much sense to me, personally.
At least I've never read anything written by someone who trips for a living and was like "AHH how insightful!"
Other than if they are talking about some really obvious stuff "love each other", etc.

If someone has any links to any truly philosophical psychonauts I would be interested in reading them :)

I think generationally you are going to see more and more a move away from organized religion in any collective form. Sure there's going to be a core group of people who are Jewish, Muslim, Christian - but in terms of "new" people joining these faiths, no. Already its dwindling numbers. I think Muslim/Christian faiths are going to have a foothold in world culture for quite some time.

There's no vested interested anymore or any forced commitment to religion. There's a bit of sense of maybe a shift to atheism/science and/or personal spiritualism, but in terms of organized religion, no. Religion is really a dead form of practice, in terms of having "use." Its like a hobby now (somewhat). And it has nothing to offer really. Which is really beneficial.

I think as the baby boomer generation becomes more into retirement, and the 70s generation fades into middle managment there probably will be a more directed drive towards the environment/self-sustainment. But that won't be a religious movement. That'll be a collective movement to save ourselves from our own screwed world. It may have religious overtones, and sure there will be deniers - but it'll happen. That or another ecomomic collapse we wont recover from. I think there is undercurrent of non-involvement that will chip away at the status quo. At least I hope, on an unconcious and concious level.

Cannot science be considered a religion? It is a system of practices and beliefs that many claim will gives us the answer to the mysteries, the providing of answers being the core function of religion.

Science can't give us:
the meaning of life
what was going on at t+0 sec of the big bang or before
what happens post-mortem
what the ethical good and evil might be
what ontology we should be working with among several congruent with our physical theories.

and other questions that I care about less...

ebola

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falun_Gong

I forsee this religion expanding in the future.

Just an extension of the Tao.

Science can be used to better understand the underlying chaos of the universe, but some questions shall remain unanswered - at least in the phenomenal world. We will all "know" in the end.

Better intuition as to the changes behind life, and attempting to use this knowledge to live in accordance with the universe can make life "easier". Searching for objective answers to subjective truths will just frustrate you.

Cannot science be considered a religion?

To do so, one need add in further assumptions outside of the scope of scientific research and theory. Furthermore, one has distinct, mutually exclusive sets of assumptions to chose from.

so not quite.

Science can't give us:
the meaning of life
what happens post-mortem
what the ethical good and evil might be
what ontology we should be working with among several congruent with our physical theories.

and other questions that I care about less...

ebola

Science may one day very well answer, or claim to have answered all these questions. If at some point it does, can it then be considered a religion? Or is science really something that transcends religion?

Technically, nothing was happening. That question is like asking who is winning a game of chess, before the players had even set up the board.

Cannot science be considered a religion? It is a system of practices and beliefs that many claim will gives us the answer to the mysteries, the providing of answers being the core function of religion.

Science is a system of investigation. It is a process by which mysteries are systematically resolved using only empirical data. You *can* choose to believe in nothing but the truths revealed by science, but I personally don't see it as a religion. Religions typically use "we know {X}, therefore {Y}" as a starting point, whereas science assumes nothing until it has been demonstrated experimentally or logically.

Last edited:
Marketism!!

LOL!

Face it people...the world is spoiling itself and its childrens throught the ferocity of the capitalist market. Soon we will have brainstorming commercials popping out of our underwear!

It's hard to say what the future will bring to religion. It's really all a matter of whether the psyche of men is inherently and inevitably apt to revere and self-sacrifice towards a mystical element or if humanity has the ability to evolve into more rational creatures and one day wake up and live through the virtue of reason. If anything, I only foresee further growth and development within the whole semi-established new-age/neo-mysticism cult following, taking upon the position that spiritualism and science are compatible- a scientific-pantheism meshed with generic commercialized Eastern thought and small components of Paganism.

To do so, one need add in further assumptions outside of the scope of scientific research and theory. Furthermore, one has distinct, mutually exclusive sets of assumptions to chose from.

so not quite.

Alien contact?

to be honest, i think the more scientific discoverires we find, the more older religions will be destroyed, and new ones will come up. for example, once we find life on other planets, if we ever do, it will be contradicting many religions, maybe enough to break them up.

I think religions will be more localized as people have to change to adapt and everything is going to be more 'on-the-home-front'. More clans, groups of people hitching up together to bottom line survive but to bring hope and comfort to each other. I think there will be revolutionary times ahead where everything as we know it will change, like it isn't happening already. When people stop concentrating on the lies propagated by the media, govt., and other powers will they be hit with a chill that will wake them up.

Kinda like how there are 3 types of people when an unfathomable catastrophe occurs
1- People that scream and cry I cant believe this is happening we are going to die
2- People that push aside those thoughts and focus on the greater good, survival
3- People that refuse to belief the event is happening eventually turning into 1 or 2

I see something like the PTA crossed with Indian tribes sprinkled with Christianity, dusted with holistics and a new agey approach. When the people realize what life is all about? they will band together with strong bonds. Things will be geared toward co-op sustainability in food, energy, transport, medical, etc. Things will be alot more 'explained' and understanding and knowledge will be much deeper and stronger. Once the movement is rooted and strong it will hold together what ever country.

I dont think this will come until after much turmoil and 'thinning' of the population from many different events. The ones left will be of a different mindset that accelerates the above theories of living. Its hard to imagine life being dramatically different but it might not happen all at once it might be a slow process much like we are seeing already occurring.

I think there will be great discoveries concerning energy and harnessing the power from the earth in a completely non destructive manner in fact its use might resonate back into the earth making it a more loving planet. There might be drawback to the new energy that might seem negative at first but will be beneficial in the long run. The new? energy source will be tied in much smoother with religion of the day [if you could call it religion] and the circle of life between humans the earth and each other will take on a much, much more dramatic role.

There will be many people that wont 'like' or rather get on board with the new type of life and will be the cause of many upheavals and fighting as generations grow older the new way of thinking starts to be more maternal and ingrained into the new youth. The power of the mind is huge especially in conjunction with others. If all those minds are of the same thoughts things start to grow positively.

Who knows maybe some very drastic events will rattle many peoples core beliefs so that this new way of life picks up speed in the transition. Separating the wheat from the chaff. Eventually I believe it will happen out of necessity.

Kinda alot to throw out there but that is how I have always kinda seen things going. Who knows?

Peace,
Seedless

Science may one day very well answer, or claim to have answered all these questions. If at some point it does, can it then be considered a religion? Or is science really something that transcends religion?

I can only see how the question of what happens post-mortem could become empirically answerable at some point in the future. The others defy empirical investigation by virtue of the logic entailed.

If science were to answer all these questions, I think it would reveal the correct spirituality in the form of its theories, social practices surrounding science constituting this spirituality's corresponding religion.

Technically, nothing was happening. That question is like asking who is winning a game of chess, before the players had even set up the board.

I shoulda asked, "What was the state of affairs outside the scope of time, the latter coemerging with the big bang?" Maybe this question could become empirical if we had a tenable physical theory that could yield intelligible statements outside time's scope.

Its a bit cliche of a suggestion, but have you read anything by Alan Watts?

Yet this suggestion is well worth it, if to steer people away from Leary. ;)

ebola