• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Religions of the future

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
First of all, if you think that 'religion' and 'future' don't belong in a sentence together, kindly keep your comments out of this thread. I realize that haters gonna hate, but you all have plenty of other threads in which to knock or question religion in general. My target audience for this thread is people who accept (regardless of their own beliefs and attitudes) that for better or for worse, human beings will always form organized groups based on spiritual goals.

As with all institutions (nay, all things!), religion exists in a constant state of flux, and changes subtly with the passing of generations and the contributions of individual members. Even faiths like Islam and Orthodox Judaism, which emphasize temporal continuity (one truth for all times for all faithful), show local and temporal nuances in the practice, community quirks, and life attitudes of adherents. It should come as banal that different challenges to overcome in the secular world call for differences in the methods by which people seek spiritual fulfillment.

What are the future trends you foresee in the material world, which you think are most likely to prompt changes in the way people seek their Source and reach for something higher? What do you think those compensatory changes to religion will look like, at the level of organization, practice, and theology?

I think globalization has already had a major impact on the nature of religion. People are increasingly interacting with other people who come from very different worldview backgrounds than themselves, which is a far cry from the world of impenetrable enclaves that our grandparents likely grew up with. There are no more frontiers, no more 'heathen natives beyond the pale' to convert -- just a world full of people who just want to be accepted as they are, and are now living cheek and jowl with people different from themselves. I think this has mostly been a force for good, prompting people toward images of the divine as an all-loving force that doesn't discriminate based on cultural practices, and away from 'my way is the only way' type of thinking.

I think in the future, you're going to see a definite trend away from REVEALED religion. New religions either won't have any sacred text, or will have one that's humbled to the status of a rough guide, not meant to be taken literally or followed word for word. I think traditional revealed religions will place less and less emphasis on the infallibility or finality of their revealed scripture. I think the trend will be to see the word of God as having been heard by many, many people throughout history, rather than by just one special person long ago.

In an age where computers and other machine technology physically isolates us and puts us into plastic cocoons more and more, I think new faiths are going to stress personal spirituality and spiritual development, and the cultivation of a personal relationship with the Source, and group membership and contribution will become more and more optional and informal. I see this as analogous to the way World of Warcraft is at the same time an informally communal, but mostly profoundly individual, experience.

Does it ever really change?
Everyone is seeking truth, but millions will still be extremists, whether christian, islam, atheist, satanic, hindu, or whatever cult in between. Millions will cease to care. Millions will try and seek, stretching and contriving. And a few will find lasting peace.
The differences between revealed religions and whatever you call the other kinds of religion isn't that much when it comes to actually living day to day.

Do you mean the spirituality consensus reality will eventually evolve to, or that method of control that a very powerful world government will enforce? Paganistic occult earth worship environmentalism, anyone?

I think in the future, you're going to see a definite trend away from REVEALED religion. New religions either won't have any sacred text, or will have one that's humbled to the status of a rough guide, not meant to be taken literally or followed word for word. I think traditional revealed religions will place less and less emphasis on the infallibility or finality of their revealed scripture.

I'm dubious about this aspect ever really happening - my take on most religions is that they are started by " spiritually aware" people - or maniacs, it's all perspective - and the "religion" that follows is a set of precepts to be followed by the common herd who may not understand very deeply why they practice the religion. The reason behind this -I believe- is that the religion serves a vehicle/vessel for the message or spirit of the instigator of the religion.
We are what we do - we are what we learn - we are culture - we are nature - we always lag behind - never ahead

I'm dubious about this aspect ever really happening - my take on most religions is that they are started by " spiritually aware" people - or maniacs, it's all perspective - and the "religion" that follows is a set of precepts to be followed by the common herd who may not understand very deeply why they practice the religion. The reason behind this -I believe- is that the religion serves a vehicle/vessel for the message or spirit of the instigator of the religion.
We are what we do - we are what we learn - we are culture - we are nature - we always lag behind - never ahead

Interesting. One "religion" that defies that belief ie. sacred/maniacal individuals leadng the way would be the various occult practices...If you look at Chaos Magick you'll fnd some definitive texts, but no ONE leader. Most nature-worship is also pretty non-theistc; all the forms of wicca, thelema (disregarding Crowleys take on it...), Tao, while they have some essential texts, don't put the writers in any postion of reverence. If the "vessel" is nature or 'the Void', I can personally say I feel drawn to that aspect- as its part of ourselves. The same can be said of psychedelic and ayahuascan "religions"....to some extent.

I think Shamanism- which is an incorrect term, but the only one available- could find itself (and already does to a degree) as a dominant and personal belief system of the future. The thing with ecstatcic practices is that they are available to anyone and can be undertaken in any way one wants to.

^ Perhaps it's the lack of structure/literature that causes them to be somewhat overlooked - maybe - as such my interpretation of a religion is a structured set of practices which are inherited & altered through time.

If you look at Chaos Magick

I have it just makes want to EAT MORE DOUGHNUTS!!!!!!! :D

I don't think religion per se will change much at all, though I expect two major changes, taking place more quickly in some regions than others:

1.) A steady easing of moral strictures (as opposed to procedural strictures, which will last much, much longer).

2.) As MDAO posted, an increasing focus on individual salvation through personal experience, a neo-mysticism of sorts.

But, as for new religions, I don't think any more will come off the pike, not beyond the cult level; what worked for Joseph Smith will not work today. The world is far too busy protecting existing religions to suffer the emergence of new ones.

I truly believe that religion as we know it is dying - in the future, there will be no religion as we see it today. The combination of the internet, virtual reality, and the growing acceptance of drugs and/or the development of new mind-expanding substances will bring about an entirely new paradigm of spirituality, especially as a community experience. Actually, it will probably be less of a community experience and more of a one-on-one or personal kind of thing. As such, I hesitate to make any further speculations about what "religion" will entail in the future. It would be like trying to make further speculations about the composition of the universe before modern telescope technology existed.

^I agree with religion as we know it dying......
There will always be religion.....but I think we will mve into a more open, energy , spiritually aware type of thing rather than a god(s)/goddess type of thing.

After the age of Pisces (jesus:)) we move into.....The age of Aquarius :) Energy.

I don't know- I look forward to seeing what happens with religion in the next 50 yrs!

There will always be religion.....but I think we will mve into a more open, energy , spiritually aware type of thing rather than a god(s)/goddess type of thing.

I intuitively sense this will be what religion will be like in the future, as well.

I think that science will be interwoven with institutional religion in the future. Instead of attempting to refute each other, I sense there will be a kind of synergy between the two. I believe they each have their own limitations, so it is difficult to place complete faith within either system. Furthermore, innate and eternal mystery may be a fact of existence. Because of this, religion and spiritual faith may pick up where the latest scientific revelations leave off.

In an age where computers and other machine technology physically isolates us and puts us into plastic cocoons more and more, I think new faiths are going to stress personal spirituality and spiritual development, and the cultivation of a personal relationship with the Source, and group membership and contribution will become more and more optional and informal. I see this as analogous to the way World of Warcraft is at the same time an informally communal, but mostly profoundly individual, experience.

Interesting. I too think technology will have profound impacts on how religion is interpreted and shared. I am reluctant to speculate on what these impacts may be, but I too sense they will stress personal cultivation because, IMO, individual spiritual experience is crucial for spiritual belief.

I think successful religions offer people what they lack.

In the past when almost nothing was known about science or the universe in general and there was less in the way of a stable society with morals and the rule of law and order successful religions offered absolute knowledge and moral guidance straight from god in the form of his word in a book.

If in the future society tends towards social isolation and technological advancement i would expect successful future religions would offer the opposite of this with social contact and scientific regression to a philosophy of uncertainty or pseudo science or primitive spirituality of some sort.

I don't think people would like social isolation so any religion that offered a remedy to this problem would do well.