• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

racism in australia...

Raz, me and Mibrane had that argument a while back here about what you just said..

For some reason that thread just died.

This thread will too. I dont think in 10 gernerations that we will get closer to a utopian type solution that elimates racism or the negativity that it harbours.

I read an article in my local paper a few weeks ago, a muslim girl 18 or so, had written in saying how a few days ago she was waking down the street, minding her own business. When a while male about 40, came up to her and slapped her on the face and said something about wearing her vail and shes in Australia now and shouldnt be aloud to wear it. She was shocked and distressed. No one around said anything to the man or tried to console her. That is so wrong and totally uncalled for. I cant believe people can get away with things like that. It happened in Hurstville, Sydney.
I'll see if i can find the article.

papermate said:
Raz, me and Mibrane had that argument a while back here about what you just said..

For some reason that thread just died.

This thread will too. I dont think in 10 gernerations that we will get closer to a utopian type solution that elimates racism or the negativity that it harbours.

Well sure this thread's gonna die. All threads die, it's the nature of the beast...that in itself doesn't prove anything other than that there aren't that many people inclined to discuss one topic until the end of time.

And I can't disagree with you about what's gonna happen in 10 generations because I don't have a crystal ball. I just don't understand the logic that says "this problem's been a long-standing one, it's fairly ingrained, let's just not bother trying to change it." Maybe we WON'T change anything for the better, but does that mean we shouldn't try? History is full of examples of amazing men and women who fought against ridiculous odds to achieve something great; and social roles and mores do change. They change because people work to enact that change.

I guess I'm pushing this point because if you can acknowlege that an attitude has a negative effect on people and negligible positive effect on anyone, why wouldn't you want to change it? When your children are bullied at school are you going to tell them to stop making an issue of it because bullying has been a common practice since the dawn of humanity? And why should racism (or for that matter any kind of meaningless prejudice) be treated any differently?

Raz , you exactly right. I think that there definatly is a need for individuals like yourself and others to take up that stand and fight for the ''equality'' so to speak. Without these people we would have the level of civility that we have today.

Reading back over the postings I think that I have emphasised that point of peoples complacency too much. Personally unless there is a issue such as racism that affects me DIRECTLY, I really wont do something active about it. As pisspoor as that sounds thats how i feel about it.

One of the points that I dont think that I emphasised enough is the need for difference. Mentally, physcially and social we are all capable of different potentials. There are definatly individuals with each race that will be more ''competant'' in different areas, but I dont think that we should take the point of view that everyone is capable of doing everything the same as everyone else.

Whilst i definately do not endorse racism which involves any sort of physcila violence, or unreasonable in its logic of descrimination, I do think think that there are moments where racial descrimination by its very definition is essential. Whether you are looking at a small social or business situation, or looking at a Global world co-ordination situatoin - someone has to make the executive decision that certain people are do things better than other people. I'm trying to relate this train of thought to the racial issue.

Certain races have certain cultures and certain beleifs. They have certain perspective's on life and they excel areas that other races do not. Their racial identy'' goes hand in hand with the things that they are patriotic with. Each country, each nation (and therefore race) has charactaristics which they exceed in and more importantly characteristic in which they are flawed by comparions.

What am I trying to say? That if i make a general comment or decision about somebody because of their race - its not that bad. I think its important to keep an open mind about individuals, but you cant deny that race has to be a factor in peoples association.

Last edited: