• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

racism in australia...

In my book, Australia is too easy going. People get away with doing things that would get them killed if done in another country.

I'm actually full blooded Italian, and I know first hand of people who've come to this country with a big lack of respect. One of those people is my brother, and although he's my brother & I love him and all, he and his friends get away with stuff here that would put them in real deep shit if it was Italy. Why do they do it? Because they can.

I'm directly talking about gang related issues. Now I may be Italian, but I'm certainly not bias. Most of the gangs you see are made up of "wogs" - which in my definition includes anything from Greek, Italian, Serbian to Turkish etc... Now I know for a fact, if a group of Australian's in Italy formed such gangs, they'd be basically killed on the spot. And I’m simply talking about gangs hanging around your local shopping centre.

I find it hard not to laugh when you people call Australian's racist. Let me tell you, Australia is a lot more willing to except outside cultures THEN ANY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

Australia is very free and open, that's why many cultures from around the world come here. The problem is, many people from these cultures decide to exploit, and take advantage of this. In one instance, my brother is one of them.

Every race & culture has their good and bad points, Australian's included - but this IS Australia after all, and I think some people take the freedom a little for granted.

nezo said:
kenyans aren't predisposed for anything except for being black.

They're better long distance runners cause they live and train in high altitude low oxygen environments which helps them develop a body more suited to long distance running. You stick any one in that environment and the chances are they will be better long distance runners.

It's all about environment people.

I'm not asking WHY this is, I'm asking whether or not you think that comment is RACIST or NOT.

It's funny how no one has committed to a firm answer, yes or no. Maybe because half of you use the word RACIST a lot to loosely.

no. it's not racist. It's only racist once you negatively prejudge
someone based on race.

"Most Kenyan's are great at long distant running"

That is a generalisation which has no negative connotations based on race

Last edited:
nezo said:
someone based on race.

Who agree's with nezo?

Last edited:
australia, and australians, have cultural issues dividing the nation. true.
in some ways i think its a natural reaction of all the groups in australia to polarise and find it hard to assimilate. natural because envy and jealousy, greed and competitivness are all part of human nature. natural because birds of a feather flock together; that is, people with same idiology find comfort and security within their group. is the fear which manifests the racism, possibly prejudice and common also throughout society?
would we have the same envy, jealousy, greed and competition if we divided the community into different pigeon holes, per se religious beliefs.
the answer is of course yes. if we divide the community into socio-economic groups we again see prejudice built by jealousy and anger on one side and fear and greed on the other (excuse massive over simplification here).
now the media, and often the government, dont really do much to help the situation. how many times i see gang crime being reported as actions of *insert cultural group* gangs or indiginous groups, soon they'll all be terrorists! funny thing is, theyre actually aussies. but the melting pot is at the boil.
but alas its to be expected.
its not just prejudice from one side versus the other. its as unlikely as an orthdox embrassing a fundamentalist.

sometimes i have to fight it in myself and other times i find myself fighting it in others.

.dR spgeddi, that's a very valid point, and to an extent I agree. However, I find it hard how people sit here talking shit about how Australia is so racial.

From my knowledge and personal experiences, there aren't many countries that will except such a diverse range of cultures from all over the world, like Australia does.

onetwothreefour said:
sleaze, that's not racist, it's just stupid :)

the majority of kenyans are predisposed, biologically, to be better equipped at long distance running than, say, your average anglo-saxon, but they're certainly not mostly great at it.

most kenyans probably aren't too good at much but getting fucked over by the western world.

I actually think this statement was the most racist one I've seen today on this board.

Firstly, it makes a racial judgement against all other nationalities by saying that somehow, they are biologically less inclinded to be great long distance runners. what rubbish.

Secondly, it says that Kenyan's aren't any good at anything else except being victims of the first world. More rubbish. Perhaps this is a judgement based on their economical and political state, but for me, it also implies a judgement based on race. Therefore, racism.

If you disrespect the country you live in then I dont think you should be aloud to live there, Yes i have heard too many ethnic people say that Australia sucks and that its a shit country. This, to me is just as bad, or even worse then burning our flag. I love my country and the people in it, i wish everyone felt the same way as me.

I don't think that's a racist view - patriotic yes. but not racist.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

ashaman said:
Actually, you could be one of those unemployed alcoholics that live off the dole.. dole money that these outsiders pay to you through taxes...

Now, now
Alcoholics pay enormous amounts of tax.
What's liqour taxed at?!
I know I'm always running out money,
being an alcoholic 'n' all.
And I've even got a job.
;)

Originally posted by Aishas Star
If you disrespect the country you live in
then I dont think you should be aloud to live there

Does this include respecting your 'leaders',
their policies, or prevailing attitudes with the 'majority'?
Sounds like someone better deport me.

UnCertain
:\

True Australians are aboriginals so unless you are a native you cant lay claim to squat ... you are a forgeiner just like me

Trust a human to come up with something like a 'country'..

*wishes of a world with no borders or governments*

i agree with nezo, but it's about the same as saying that italians like to eat pasta and that the chinese like to eat rice. i don't see what your point is.

This thread is going no where fast.

People with good intentions are getting bogged down in semantics, over-analysing and representing others and themselves out of context.

If you ask me the blanket subject matter of 'Racism' is too broad to be properly tackled in a thread like this. It allows people to go wandering down too many side paths and get stuck bickering over trivial things such as use of language.

Racial/cultural debates work better when they're centred around specific events or occurances (Redfern Riots, Gang activities etc) as this gives them an anchoring or focal point that hopefully helps people avoid spinning off into vague generalities.

My 2c

nezo said:
someone based on race.

I agree with nezo, because while the definition of racism does state that the belief that a particular race is superior to others is considered racism, common understanding is that racism concerns discrimination or prejudice based on race.

If the sentence were changed to, "Most Kenyan's are great at long distant running, so Kenyan's are better than everyone else", that would be racism.

Definition of racism:

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

So do I think there is racism present in Australia? Yes. Some of the responses to this topic in various threads make that clear, not because of any racist comments, but because of the strength of emotion conveyed by some of the responses. If there was no racism, then no-one would be getting worked up about it, there'd be nothing to get worked up about.

I don't hold a very high opinion of humanity. I think that as long as we have differences, there'll be racism. And even if we all looked the same, had the same culture, same abilities, and the same character, I'm sure we'd find some cause for discrimination.

Tarsarlan said:

I don't hold a very high opinion of humanity.

i agree totally..... as a race, humans are very stupid..... look at the way our collective behaviour basically ensures our eventual demise.....

I think we only need to look at the social divide to agree that race alone is not the divisive factor.
(Does that make sense?)