• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Quitting heroin with kratom and cannabis alone.

browniejfam

Greenlighter
Hi, I'm brand new to this site. Lurked around for awhile and really appreciated a lot of the info here. I've been using opioids daily for a bit over 2 years. This last year was mostly spent on subs, around 0.5mg a day. I quit the subs a month ago and have been smoking tar ever since. Luckily, I've been able to save up a bunch of kratom, a few kilos. I'm hoping that since I've been off the subs for a month that those withdrawals should be completely over and all I'll have to deal with is the week long dope withdrawal. I'm young, only 22, and pretty healthy besides my usage. So, I think that I'll be able to quit this for good and hopefully be able to start feeling better after a couple months on kratom. I also smoke cannabis which helps my mental state a lot. I guess I'm posting this so I can record my journey and let you guys know how well kratom can work to quit opioids, and if anyone has experience doing something similar some advice would be great. Thank you very much.

Wd doesn't exactly occur like how you're thinking.. yeah you've been off subs for a month, but your brain chemistry hasn't started to heal itself.

Anyways Kratom should help, but you'll have to detox off that eventually.. at which point your serotonin, dopamine, and endorphin levels will be very low from the entirety of your drug use..

Yeah, I know the PAWS can be a bitch, but wouldn't my brain start to heal a little bit once I'm off everything besides herb and kratom? I'm hoping I can take kratom for like 4-5 months and then just quit it and deal with my brain getting itself back to normal! Luckily it's only been 2 years and not like 10 or something.

Honestly, I doubt that you would need to use kratom for a half year in order to get off an opiate career that consisted of a year on dope/a year on low dose subs/ a month of dope

You probably could've jumped directly off the subs at 0.5 mg.

Those are out of your system. Now you're basically coming off a month of tar. For how young you are and not having previous dependencies, you could easily switch to kratom for a week or two, and be done. Staying on kratom for months is only prolonged your brain's return to normal/ healing.

And looking at your individual history, you should be much improved on your brain chemistry within a couple months of stopping

Good luck , and don't let the sneaky nature of the dope make this a lot harder for you than it really is. You're in a great position to get off and put it behind you

Yeah, if you really want to quit, then making it any longer than it's necessary will cost you both time and mental strength which might make it more harder for you to resist cravings later on. The longer you take opioids, the more worn out you become and quitting is more straining, and half a year on Kratom is indeed hell of a lot of additional time on an opioid with only a year on heroin in mind. I also agree that in your situation you would have been much better off jumping off buprenorphine than going back to heroin and now having to cope with withdrawal again.

In my experience cannabis does help a lot during opioid withdrawal (however, not so much if you happen to have quit benzodiazepines earlier, after I quit benzos, I basically lost the ability to enjoy cannabis as it suddenly began making me paranoid and anxious). when I quit methadone, I basically smoked cannabis every day for a whole month afterwards and I can't imagine how I would have gone through that hellish withdrawal otherwise. So if I were you, at this point I'd limit myself to cannabis for a very short period of time if the withdrawal was really unbearable.

Kratom for a month tops anything after that u are risking wd

Thank you guys for the replies! Especially you crzydiamond, your post gave me a lot of motivation. I'll definitely try to only take kratom for a couple weeks then and see what happens. Luckily, I only smoke tar so I'm not going too crazy with it. Probably smoking a half gram a day for a month. I have 4 grams left and no more money, so I will be forced to quit for good in about 1 week. I truly want to quit as well though, I can't wait to be able to wake up and not be sick. I'll update and let you guys know how it goes.

Hi, I'm brand new to this site. Lurked around for awhile and really appreciated a lot of the info here. I've been using opioids daily for a bit over 2 years. This last year was mostly spent on subs, around 0.5mg a day. I quit the subs a month ago and have been smoking tar ever since. Luckily, I've been able to save up a bunch of kratom, a few kilos. I'm hoping that since I've been off the subs for a month that those withdrawals should be completely over and all I'll have to deal with is the week long dope withdrawal. I'm young, only 22, and pretty healthy besides my usage. So, I think that I'll be able to quit this for good and hopefully be able to start feeling better after a couple months on kratom. I also smoke cannabis which helps my mental state a lot. I guess I'm posting this so I can record my journey and let you guys know how well kratom can work to quit opioids, and if anyone has experience doing something similar some advice would be great. Thank you very much.

Err they have medicines for this such as methadone and subs I don't understand why you or anyone would want to use a synthetic opiate that might 'feel' healthier (notice how i said 'feel') but its not tested its been linked to liver disease yellowing and all that stuff etc I know i will always play it safe and get my drugs from the the doctor with one hundred percent harm reduction.

Julesz, I understand where you're coming from, but I've been on both meth/subs and must say that those are a lot harder to get off of than kratom. Also, they do damage to the body/liver as well. Kratom is MUCH safer than methadone, as long as you buy it from reliable and legit sources.

As long as you're actually using kratom, it's really quite safe. If you want to be extra careful, you can have blood work done.

Julesz, I understand where you're coming from, but I've been on both meth/subs and must say that those are a lot harder to get off of than kratom. Also, they do damage to the body/liver as well. Kratom is MUCH safer than methadone, as long as you buy it from reliable and legit sources.

It's only hard to get off of methadone or suboxone if you take them for more than a week or two. That's why IMO it's best to only take sub(for example) for a short period of time, at very low doses, so that once you're ready to jump off, it will be easy...PLUS...no damage to your liver, although I'm not sure why you think suboxone damages the liver. Maybe you meant high dose sub for a long period of time?

That's actually how I got clean. I had been an opioid addict for years and have a naturally high tolerance. I was taking about 2 grams of HIGH quality tar IV a day plus whatever other opioids I could get my hands on....and when I switched to suboxone I only took a couple mg's at first because there is no need for any more than that. I stayed at low doses( 0.2 - 1 mg) for a couple weeks and then jumped off with no WD's. I was also able to take sub in tiny amounts whenever I felt like it(after I stopped taking it regularly for addiction) to help act as a kinda anti-depressant ....I could just take one small dose in a period of like a month or 2 or more, or take the sub in small doses every day for a while and then stop with no WD. See...when you are on such low doses, WD isn't much of an issue IME.

Last edited:
Err they have medicines for this such as methadone and subs I don't understand why you or anyone would want to use a synthetic opiate that might 'feel' healthier (notice how i said 'feel') but its not tested its been linked to liver disease yellowing and all that stuff etc I know i will always play it safe and get my drugs from the the doctor with one hundred percent harm reduction.

It's a natural opioid
And add sources or no one will trust you and assume that you're trolling

I was talking about both methadone and subs being harmful to the body/brain. Methadone being harmful to the liver though, not subs. Thanks for the info man. I have 1 subutex left and only take microdoses at a time, less than 0.5mg daily. I also have no way of getting anymore subs. Maybe I'll use that single pill to get off of the dope and then just deal with whatever comes after with kratom for a short period of time.

good luck man. i'm almost 24 and since i'm 18 i've been on every opiate you can think of, mainly heroin. i always quit right as i realize i am falling too deep; with my longest heroin addiction lasting about 3 months or so maybe a bit more.

needless to say i got sick every time i came off. never tried subs because thats just a bullshit substitute. i wanted to be drug free.

weed and kratom will definitely help but every time i came off i always had benzos that i would take for the first 3 or 4 horrible days. then last time i relapsed on heroin i discovered loperamide (immodium) and detoxed with that only. i wish i had benzos, but the immodium chilled me out mentally and physically, helped me sleep, i was actually able to walk around the house and maybe even out of the house (and im talking the first few days of detox). yeah it still sucks and you feel shitty but its doable. i found that 20-25mg of loperamide every morning for the first 3 days helped me TREMENDOUSLY. i would recommend that stuff to anyone detoxing from opiates as long as you dont abuse it and try to get high.