View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Purple Drank's Rise and Assumed Fall

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Sizzurp’s Rise Was Sizzurp’s Downfall

May Wilkerson | 4/23/14 said:
It’s a sad day for Weezy. Sizzurp, the notorious “purple drank” beloved by rappers and pop stars alike, is made up of promethazine codeine syrup (medicated cough syrup made by Activis), mixed with soda. First made famous by rapper Lil’ Wayne, the drink has become a popular recreational drug, especially among young people. Now, all the media hype and reports of substance abuse have led pharmaceutical company Actavis to announce that they are stopping production of promethazine codeine syrup and pulling it from the shelves:

"Recently, one of Actavis’ products—promethazine hydrochloride and codeine phosphate syrup, a prescription drug for the treatment of temporary relief of coughs and upper respiratory symptoms associated with allergy or the common cold—has gained significant attention in the media and elsewhere for its illegal recreational abuse. This attention has glamorized the unlawful and dangerous use of the product, which is contrary to its approved indication. This attention may place consumers at risk by minimizing the dangers of its misuse and abuse."

The company added that they “regret the impact this will have on the consumers who rely on this medication for its intended use” but they feel responsible to pull the product in order to support the “fight against prescription drug abuse.”

Disappointed parties may include some of Sizzurp’s high-profile fans, like rapper Soulja Boy, who earlier this week posted an image of a full spread of Activis bottles on his Instagram, with the caption: “Soulja got the juice. They say the streets dry. I say you gotta be kiddin me. I serve everybody.” Justin Bieber has also been photographed sipping on the syrup. And rapper Lil’ Wayne was reportedly hospitalized due to seizures caused by Sizzurp.

But though some may put down the purple drank or switch to a different poison, many Sizzurp fans are likely to turn to the inevitable cough syrup black market. Stay tuned.
http://www.substance.com/sizzurps-rise-was-sizzurps-downfall/

For the record, sizzurp WAS NOT first made popular by lil' wayne, although he might have brought it more into the light of mainstream consumer 16 year old fad 'merica... just say'n 8)

^three 6 mafia made that shit blow up, screwed up click was promoting it, etc.

personally i've never liked "drank" because it's, i dunno, 50 times as expensive as heroin. (didn't do the math but seems about right.)

iono I never thought it tasted so bad, although it doesn't exactly taste like omfg-Aaamazing either. I too never understood why people liked it so much either though. never gave me a buzz, let alone any kind of high, reminiscent of any opioid I've ever used. if anything it was just more antihistamine type sedation really. but iono, people seem to like combining it with some cannabis, and when I do that the herb almost always totally overpowers any opioid I've used. I was actually in LA's downtown jail holding cell with a guy who got arrested for a couple quarts of codeine/prometh syrup in his trunk a coupe months ago. his bail was like eight times mine (I was arrested on a BS charge of felony possession, which btw was immediately dropped cause I was working as a street nurse and had no drugs on me, in my system, or anything like that, the cop was just like "hey - that white kid doesn't belong in skid row lets get him!" type bull, and charges were almost immediately dropped the same week of getting arrested... nothing like getting arrested for volunteering, huh?). But I digress...

I can't use this myself because I'm allergic to one of codeine's metabolites. This doesn't sound like a particularly positive development, though.

^personally i'm indifferent, it's always good for more drugs to be available though IMO other than shit like krokodil.

also they still make other prescription cough syrups which will probably rise into prominance now.

^three 6 mafia made that shit blow up, screwed up click was promoting it, etc.
36 was actually talking about tusenex(hydrocodone syrup) in their song "sipping on some syzzurp".

personally i've never liked "drank" because it's, i dunno, 50 times as expensive as heroin. (didn't do the math but seems about right.)

If I was a rich rapper I'd be buying piles of oxymorphone as well as the best opium and dope out there.

Last edited:
I've never met anyone who isn't either black or attempts to act like a thug that does this stuff. And ya ridiculously expensive, I remember my dealer telling me he had some and it was no prices for watever amount he was selling, I was like shit better be a fuckin pool full for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
ill never forget the day no prices.. that was one summer for the record books.

Last edited by a moderator:
iono I never thought it tasted so bad, although it doesn't exactly taste like omfg-Aaamazing either. I too never understood why people liked it so much either though. never gave me a buzz, let alone any kind of high, reminiscent of any opioid I've ever used. if anything it was just more antihistamine type sedation really. but iono, people seem to like combining it with some cannabis, and when I do that the herb almost always totally overpowers any opioid I've used. I was actually in LA's downtown jail holding cell with a guy who got arrested for a couple quarts of codeine/prometh syrup in his trunk a coupe months ago. his bail was like eight times mine (I was arrested on a BS charge of felony possession, which btw was immediately dropped cause I was working as a street nurse and had no drugs on me, in my system, or anything like that, the cop was just like "hey - that white kid doesn't belong in skid row lets get him!" type bull, and charges were almost immediately dropped the same week of getting arrested... nothing like getting arrested for volunteering, huh?). But I digress...

Same with me. i used to get that stuff every once in a while from my doctor when my asthmatic bronchitis would flare up. i would take it has prescribed usually. A few times i wanted to see what the hype was about so i doubled, tripled, and quadruplied the dose (separate times). I swear i never felt a thing and was scratching my head wondering what all those rappers were talkin about. Pretty weak if you ask me.

If its a case where i have to drink the whole bottle of something, well my liver and kidneys are still needed for my later years.

Im a daily user of whatever im doin and for me to be able to leave that in my cabinet for months without finishing it says alot to me about the effect it had. If i had felt anything from it, i would have just used it till it was empty.

Its bullshit that they have to pull it because of some idiots that are too pussy to go get a bag of heroin.

^personally i'm indifferent, it's always good for more drugs to be available though IMO other than shit like krokodil.

Nothing is wrong with desomorphine, so I assuming you're not talking about that when you say krokodil. If you're talking about like shake and bake and not meth, I agree. Then again, if you're also again diacetylmorphine being available, then you're probably also again desomorphine being available, which I could understand.

I've never met anyone who isn't either black or attempts to act like a thug that does this stuff. And ya ridiculously expensive, I remember my dealer telling me he had some and it was **** bucks for watever amount he was selling, I was like shit better be a fuckin pool full for that.

No discussion of prices, even if it was a joke , cause that much money for lean is a joke.

ill never forget the day i bought a gallon of lean for ***** bux from the mexican mafia. that was one summer for the record books.

First of all, no discussion of prices, I think that is supposed to even apply to jokes, if that was what it was.

I used to be able to get codeine syrup one place I lived OTC. No one really bothered with it. Oxycodone was a better bang for your buck especially if you got the Roxis or original OC's. Especially when they raised the price a bit. So no one bothered with it unless they were dopesick or just fucking around for some reason.

Sheeeit 3 6 was rappin about pourin it up like a decade ago. Hydrocodone on that hands free phone. Ugk and all the 3 6 was doing that forever. Plus Lil Wayne had a seizure from it? I'd say its prob xanax. Oh yea, my ex gf dad used to get bottles of the stuff and never took. You wouldn't believe how much herb I could trade for that shit.

Erowid said:
"Chopped and screwed" music (originally called "screwed and chopped") is a slowed-down style of hip-hop first made popular in the 1990s by DJ Screw. The "syrup", "sizzurp", or "lean" mentioned in relation to this music most often refers to prescription-only cough syrup, containing codeine and/or promethazine, mixed with jolly ranchers and sprite, or fruit punch. It is often purple in color.

There is also a second type of cough syrup that is used recreationally in a similar way, though not as commonly. This (yellow) syrup contains chlorpheniramine, hydrocodone, and phenylephrine and is marketed under the brand name Histinex. It too is generally mixed with fruit punch or a soft drink.

DJ Screw died of a codeine and other drug overdose in 2000. The MTV.com news articles from 2001 reporting Screw's death incorrectly refer to "the syrup" as "the prescription-only codeine [or 'codeine-containing'] cough medicine Promethazine". Promethazine does not contain codeine. Promethazine is the generic name for a sedating, anti-nausea chemical that is often combined with codeine in cough syrups. Cough syrups called "Promethazine VC" contain promethazine in combination with codeine. Those called "Promethazine DM" contain promethazine and DXM. Many rap or hip hop resources which attempt to describe "syrup" confuse codeine and promethazine.
http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=3105

See the list of references on that page.

"I've always wanted to say this.... For shizzle!"

Anyways, I'm not sure about the OTC status of codeine preparations in the US, however, imo, some CWE + grape Kool-Aid is a good way to (try to) enjoy such a stupendously-meh opiate.

I don't get why these rich rappers don't just do fucking heroin, seriously if you're going to do opiates at least do one that is worth your money

I don't get why these rich rappers don't just do fucking heroin, seriously if you're going to do opiates at least do one that is worth your money

If I could afford it, I'd never touch a clandestinely synthesized opioid. Rather, I'd stick to pharmaceuticals. And it's possible that's what most of the celebrity rappers (who prefer opioids) are doing, minus the IV ROA. Eminem was into hydrocodone, was he not - until it nearly killed him due to mixing with booze?

IV hydromorphone (as well as oxycodone, oxymorphone, and good ol' morphine) = good substitute for smack IME. Unfortunately, it's getting more expensive by the day to acquire such delights.