View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

PSYCHONAUTS vs DRUGGIES

rm-rf

Bluelight Crew
Ok, this is one of my alltime fav culture clashes.
I am a regular psychadelic user, and i loove psychadelics. I love life, i love people (at least people like me lol!), i love to love, im a generally peacefull and intelligent person.
I use a lot of "drugs". Some people, even big "druggies" get impressed at my tolerance for shit. But really, all i wanna do is explore my brain, explore my universe, to learn, to expierence, to explore my universe's reaction to my brain and my brain's reaction to the universe.
In my book, Knowledge = power, and love and friendship overrules hate and other forms of antisocial activity.
But i dont consider myself a druggie. I dont do drugs to "get fucked up" or for relief from reality (allthough that has its time and place). Im more of a psychonaut, an explorer of the universe without having to physically move my body. I am friends with pleanty of dopeheads, crackheads, cokeheads, alchaholics, you name it. But the way i think and the way ppl like that think is soooooooooooo different. I think this difference should be recognized!
I get really pissed off when ppl call me a druggie. There is such a stereotype that comes along with that word. It isnt me... but i use drugs. ANyone else get ideas like this?

I know what you mean. Example. "I have heard about a south American tea that makes you trip & I want to get fucked up" Aggghhh!!!!
I think certain things are good for "fucking you up" while others are much more serious & can be used as tools & teachers. Dont get mw wrong, I like to indulge now and again for fun but my main bone of contention is that everyone should do their reserch & have respect. Maybe Im getting old!
BWN

no, dont confuse OLD with EXPIERENCED. Ur smart, u know to do ur reasearch. KNOWLEDGE = POWER.
And yes, there is a time and a place for everything. I enjoy a good beer buz and a coke tootage now and then, but im not some dumb burnout kid that puts chemicals in his brain for a personal rollercoaster ride. But overall, my chemical altered mindsets are for personal gain of knowledge and exploration of the things above mentioned.
'tis why i despise the expression:
"Silly rabbit, trips are for kids!"

I was thinking about starting an awareness campaign with flyers and information on drugs/use vs abuse/etc... An example? A drug user (or Psychonaut if you prefer) will reasearch anything (the less he/she knows, the more extensive the research) before trying it. A "Druggie" will snort any pill he/she finds on the ground, is more likely to have a weapon, and the worst part... - Their Deaths/abuse ruins it for the rest of us competant folk! -

i think different people do drugs for different reasons, obviously.
some people do drugs largely to escape their lives. this is especially true of people who are psychologically addicted to drugs. people who always want to be fucked up and hate being sober, IMHO, can't handle reality and living their lives. these kind of people often give drugs a bad name, sadly.
some people use drugs for fun. i would say at least half of all drug users (with most of the other half in the escapist category) use drugs for their recreational value. for these people, drugs are just another way to spend free time -- like watching movies, going rollerblading, playing cards. another form of entertainment. as long as these people don't start abusing drugs for their escapist qualities and use drugs responsibly, i think recreational drug users are pretty harmless.
then there are some, though very few, people who use drugs almost as a scientific experiment. these people are often highly intelligent, often spiritual, and doing drugs is about expanding their boundaries and their concept of reality. true drug users of this type will only try a certain drug a couple of times to get a feel for it, but then they get bored and move on. though they may enjoy being high, the main purpose of their drug use is to examine themselves, their minds, and their surroundings while in an altered state of consciousness. an example of such a person would be the great chemist and philosopher alexander shulgin.
all of the three types have a little bit of the other two types - every person has a degree of escapism, a degree of fun-loving, and of scientific curiosity. but generally, i believe that drug users can be categorized as above.

I agree with blahblahblah... drug use isnt neccisarily bad... only when it causes negative reactions in your life does it become a bad thing... i don't do drugs to "get fucked up" anymore, i guess i to would be a "psychonaut"... but that in no way makes me any better of a person than those who do soley for entertainment purposes...

Pretty much agree with the last few posts. (well said fairnymph). I am not saying Im a "psychonaut" - just that I have changed my direction & now use Ayahuasca (where legal) in particular to help my spiritual growth. It just does my head in when some people jump into "the next high" without any respect.
Peace
BWN

I think that all drugs can have a similar issue in common regardless of usage patterns or the types of people that use them.
Does the usage of the substance cause you to behave in a way that is maladaptive to nondrug users? While under the influence this is commonly a yes, but how about afterwards?
There can be a thin line when you've had profound enough experiences. It's nice to have somebody who's been where you're at and can understand some things your mind has gone through.

Last edited:
then there are some, though very few, people who use drugs almost as a scientific experiment. these people are often highly intelligent, often spiritual, and doing drugs is about expanding their boundaries and their concept of reality. true drug users of this type will only try a certain drug a couple of times to get a feel for it, but then they get bored and move on. though they may enjoy being high, the main purpose of their drug use is to examine themselves, their minds, and their surroundings while in an altered state of consciousness.
You have NO idea how rare this is. I've met (in person) maybe ONE other individual that approaches drugs with this mindset. I keep this frame of mind with most of my explorations, but I've definately had more than plenty of moments where I just became a depraved drug addict and did things simply to get fucked up (weed, pills anyone?). Fuck that shit, I'm over it.

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study hard - Be evil.
sorry, I just get an overwhelming urge to say that everytime I hear someone say 'knowledge is power' =)

You need to examine the term 'psychonaut' before you can go about labelling yourself or anyone else as one, just as you cannot instantly declare the term invalid before you realise what it means.
In simple terms (please don't quibble over this unless I've got the term completely wrong):
Psycho - mind
Naut - explorer, traveller.
A psychonaut is someone who traverses the various terrains which exist within their own universe (their mind). This is someone who is willing to explore who they are, to confront the negative and positive aspects of their being. To explore the archetypal images embedded in their consciousness. To challenge and resolve undesired segments of their own character.
This may or may not involve the assistance of psychedelics. I've personally used psychedelics as a tool for reaching certain near-spiritual states of mind, for providing alternative perspectives vital in resolving problems and to challenge my perceptions in a manner which I would consider something near a scientific experiment.
However I've also taken drugs for pure recreation. Its not just about why you take the drug, its also the mindset you're in when you're on it.
The truth is psychonautical exploration is more difficult than mere amusment, but taking the time for metaprogramming is well worth it.

Even if you are a psychonaut and some other dude isnt, you are making a value judgement that your reason for using drugs is more valid than his reason. How about I make a value judgement and tell you the psychonaut`s reason for using drugs is far less valid than the cronically depressed person`s. I cant think of ehough senerios that out wiegh yours in gravity. Youre still a long ways from the top of the holyness ladder.

Hmm.. It is possible to be both dont yah think? I'd hafta say i must be, cause i use acid n mushrooms for the mind exploration, its a wicked head trip.
But I also pop pills and smoke weed like my life depends on it... Many of my best friends are 'druggies'.
But if you catagorize druggies and psychonauts the way CrescentFresh does.. Then I'm defenitly a psychonaut (will reasearch anything), but back in the day i was a hardcore druggie (snort any pill he/she finds on the ground)

Originally posted by fairnymph:
i think different people do drugs for different reasons, obviously.
some people do drugs largely to escape their lives. this is especially true of people who are psychologically addicted to drugs. people who always want to be fucked up and hate being sober, IMHO, can't handle reality and living their lives. these kind of people often give drugs a bad name, sadly.
some people use drugs for fun. i would say at least half of all drug users (with most of the other half in the escapist category) use drugs for their recreational value. for these people, drugs are just another way to spend free time -- like watching movies, going rollerblading, playing cards. another form of entertainment. as long as these people don't start abusing drugs for their escapist qualities and use drugs responsibly, i think recreational drug users are pretty harmless.
then there are some, though very few, people who use drugs almost as a scientific experiment. these people are often highly intelligent, often spiritual, and doing drugs is about expanding their boundaries and their concept of reality. true drug users of this type will only try a certain drug a couple of times to get a feel for it, but then they get bored and move on. though they may enjoy being high, the main purpose of their drug use is to examine themselves, their minds, and their surroundings while in an altered state of consciousness. an example of such a person would be the great chemist and philosopher alexander shulgin.
all of the three types have a little bit of the other two types - every person has a degree of escapism, a degree of fun-loving, and of scientific curiosity. but generally, i believe that drug users can be categorized as above.

Sklut? Anyway, I believe that if there weren't some sort of chemical available to people to temporarily alter their reality, and provide some sort of escape from their daily existance, the world would go insane. That is why opium, alcohol, Salvia, et al have been used for thousands of years. Most ppl just use them occasionally, and are fine, but some, as you mentioned, make it a daily occurence, and run the risk of doing damage to themselves and others.

But i dont consider myself a druggie. I dont do drugs to "get fucked up" or for relief from reality (allthough that has its time and place). Im more of a psychonaut, an explorer of the universe without having to physically move my body. I am friends with pleanty of dopeheads, crackheads, cokeheads, alchaholics, you name it. But the way i think and the way ppl like that think is soooooooooooo different. I think this difference should be recognized1
What difference? Your drugs of preference are psychedelics versus other drugs. You use enormous quantities and you're probably a bit more informed than the typical drug user. But what's the real difference?
There is none. You're in denial about being a druggy and you want to feel better about yourself by giving yourself the label "psychonaut".
Are you really exploring your mind or are you just getting high?
I used to do a lot of psychedelics. At the time I thought it was really important. I saw UFOs, aliens, wrote essays and papers on philosophy, I saw pyramids, felt in touch with the earth, visitted an Aztec empire, etc. etc. etc. What do I have to show for it? Well, I have to get up and go to work every single day like everybody fucking else. There's nothing special about it. It doesn't matter. All I have is the self-satisfaction of knowing I could have had a real hobby a few years ago that didn't involve me risking lengthy prison sentences for possession with intent or being picked up for DUI or something.
You can feel as special as you want, but when it comes down to it you're just sitting around listening to your Shpongle CD going "man, that sounds soooo cool".

#1.
i never made any kind of statement saying that being a "psychonaut" or whatever the fuck you wanan call it REQUIRED psychadellic substance use.
#2. blahblahblah can suck my dick because i also never siad i was better than anyone else. ill be the first to admit im the same as him, Bill Gates, Bin Ladin, or any other dispicable (tounge in cheek) human on the planet. I was just saying i hate being called a druggie because thats not what i consider myself. if u disagree then dont complain just fuck off.

i never made any kind of statement saying that being a "psychonaut" or whatever the fuck you wanan call it REQUIRED psychadellic substance use.
When you post in the psychedelics forum and talk about expanding your mind and how you use drugs but you're not a druggy, it's somewhat implied.
I was just saying i hate being called a druggie because thats not what i consider myself. if u disagree then dont complain just fuck off.
If you don't want people to disagree, perhaps you shouldn't bring up the subject in a public discussion forum.

we don't do the drugs!!! The drugs do us!!!!
All i have to say is respect the drugs. It's more powerful than you. I try to tell anyone this that is thinking about doing any drug. As soon as anyone starts to think he/she is more powerful than a drug, i'm almost certain that that drug will fuck you up the ass. This is something i live by and it has kept me in check. I'm more of a person that would rather experience the drug than getting "fucked up" it's more fun and i think i get more out of it. It helps me understand the people i'm shrooming with a whole lot too. I love that moment of enlightenment when you can say "DUDE! i totally know what you're saying" :) Do and say what you will with this information.

while i'd agree that there is some kind of distinction between doing drugs to "get fucked up" and doing drugs for the purposes of experimentation and exploration, i'm not sure it makes sense to classify yourself either as a druggie or a psychonaut.
in my case, i do different drugs for different reasons. i smoke herb just for the sake of getting high, and i do pills for the sake of having lots of fun with my friends, though i wouldn't say that i use either of these drugs for exploratory purposes. but whenever i do a psychedelic i haven't tried before, i generally focus a good deal on exploring and keeping track of exactly what's going on in my head, as far as can be determined under the influence of the drug. sometimes i write things down or keep a voice log, but i usually save this for the second time i do the drug. in any case, i can't generally stop myself from turning the use of psychedelics into something philosophical. but that's just me.
in any case, i think the term psychonaut is a bit pretentious. it doesn't describe a specific activity - it's a way of characterizing oneself which carries with it an implicit value judgement against those who aren't as intellectual or introspective about their drug use. for those of us who are really fascinated by the scientific, philosophical, and spiritual properties of drugs, that's cool, but it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with people who just use drugs for fun.
everyone who does drugs, to some extent, does them because they're enjoyable, and there's nothing inherently good or bad about this. the issue is whether or not you let your drug use fuck with your other priorities in life, and honestly i think it's possible both to be a "psychonaut" and still have problems with addiction and such.
~purasuma!!!