• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Prozac and other antidepressants

Sksjdjeisnfkeishz

Bluelighter
I take 60 mg prozac for depression, ocd, and anxiety. It makes me want to eat alot, it makes me get heartburn and throw up. My psychiatrist wants to lower me off it eventually but first she is working on risperidone. I think its causing my high blood pressure too. Ive been having high blood pressure for years now. Not sure if its because of prozac, the overdoses ive done, the drugs ive done, etc.

I take aderall 15 mg for adhd.

I take naltrexone 50 mg for substance cravings. She wants to slowly take me off that but we are currently working on getting me off risperidone.

I take 2 mg rispridone. Used to be 4 mg now its two. That shit makes me gain weight.

I take melatonin 5 mg. I honestly dont need it. What i call a bad day of not being able to sleep (to me) its not being able to fall asleep for an hour or two. But shit its natural and i may need it one day.

Anyways i want to get off prozac and dont see my doctor until the sixth of april. I dont think i need to schedule an appointment with her anytime sooner. My question is, is there an antidepressant that doesnt cause high blood pressure or weight gain? If so what is it?

It seems like the longer i take a medication the more likely i get side effects. I dont want to take antidepressants at all. But i know i need it.

I know yall arent doctors or anything but do yall know if my metabolism will go back to normal after getting completly off of risperidone? That shit made me cause so much weight and other shit. I used to be on abilify and that made me gain weight too. Im not no damn psychotic and dont need it.

My metabolism and weight normalized fairly quickly after I stopped taking risperidone. I was able to stop cold turkey after being on 2mg for a year or so. Not suggesting you do that, but it was fine for me.

I never gained that much weight on it though, I jog a lot and stay relatively active. I gained a lot more weight on olanzapine.

i've been on a ton of antidepressants including prozac and they never made me gain weight, so i suspect its the risperidone. not sure about blood pressure, mine is sligtly high but i think that's due to my past drug use rather than the sertraline i'm on currently.

SSRIs have much fewer side effects than other classes of antidepressant. if you're concerned about side effects don't let them put you on a different class, they are the second/third line treatments after SSRIs due to being tolerated less so if SSRIs work fine for you i don't see why they should. but i'm guessing you're in the states given the number of psych drugs you're on and i just don't understand prescribing over there so its not beyond the realm of possibiity.

Some antipsychotics can make the most masculine man existing to grow tits, unfortunately are SSRIs when used long term not much better for me, and morphine as well. Oh yeah, they also raise blood pressure and can cause or exacerbate tachycardia (not all, the SNRIs are worse). Afaik is a rise in prolactin the direct result of more serotonin, just some people tolerate it better.

You might get a bloodwork for hormones and see what's coming out, then decide what to do. Contrary to common belief afaik exercise helps but doesn't fix all.

i've been on a ton of antidepressants including prozac and they never made me gain weight, so i suspect its the risperidone. not sure about blood pressure, mine is sligtly high but i think that's due to my past drug use rather than the sertraline i'm on currently.

SSRIs have much fewer side effects than other classes of antidepressant. if you're concerned about side effects don't let them put you on a different class, they are the second/third line treatments after SSRIs due to being tolerated less so if SSRIs work fine for you i don't see why they should. but i'm guessing you're in the states given the number of psych drugs you're on and i just don't understand prescribing over there so its not beyond the realm of possibiity.
Yeah im in the united states and i agree them bitches overmedicate. I dont need most of the meds im on. Atleast i already got off three other medications. But for two of those i just switched to the current meds im on. And yeah it must be the risperidone.

Yeah my blood pressure is slightly high too. It could be the drugs ive done. Ive smoked cigaretes, vaped, dipped, drank alcohol, smokes weed, snorted hydrocodone, done dxm, done shrooms, and done heroin.

But shit can the drugs really leave a permanent effect on you like that? Because ive been clean for quite some time now. I really think it could be the fact that i overdosed once as a suicide attempt and i think that caused me to permanently have high blood pressure. Truth is idk. My psychiatrist wants me to see a doctor about it. Havent done so yet. Im scared about the high blood pressure bc she said it can lead to strokes.

I have high levels of prolactin actually. Been having so for about two years. It caused me to not have periods for a long time. Now i just have irregular periods.

Its because of the damn risperidone. My psychiatrist did tell me though that itll decrease as i get lower doses and shit

Edit: this message was supposed to be a reply to @plumbus-nine

Almost definitely the Respiridone. AP's - especially atypicals - can cause significant weight gain. Olanzapine and Quetiapine are the worst (I've heard of people gained literally 100lbs), but Rispiridone can cause significant weight gain.
Prozac (Fluoxetine) is the one AD that actually causes weight loss.

Its because of the damn risperidone. My psychiatrist did tell me though that itll decrease as i get lower doses and shit

Hormonal changes are unfortunately very long lived, and the tits/weight gain is (semi-)permanent. Idk about women, might be different for you though as men don't have a natural cycle. Dopamine AGONISTS antagonize prolactin but docs will be reluctant to give them, specially when you've been on antipsychotics before but also contrary to popular belief they are well tolerated and don't induce psychosis.

I'd say it's not drugs in general but some specific activities like dopamine antagonism which causes prolactin to skyrocket. Mine was 4 times above limit, I was lean all my life but now I hate my shape. And that wasn't even antipsychotics, found them not giving any benefit and began to put below the tongue/spit out in hospital as well as just stop outside. But morphine is bad as well. I'm unsure whether heroin is better because it penetrates the brain more readily, thus lower dosages.

Almost definitely the Respiridone. AP's - especially atypicals - can cause significant weight gain. Olanzapine and Quetiapine are the worst (I've heard of people gained literally 100lbs), but Rispiridone can cause significant weight gain.
Prozac (Fluoxetine) is the one AD that actually causes weight loss.
Good to know prozac causes weight loss i will most definetly try and stay on it now. Not just because it causes weight loss. Although i hate it, it helps with my ocd, anxiety, and depression. Hell i guess i can suck it up when i get heartburn and throw up.

Good to know prozac causes weight loss i will most definetly try and stay on it now. Not just because it causes weight loss. Although i hate it, it helps with my ocd, anxiety, and depression. Hell i guess i can suck it up when i get heartburn and throw up.
I dont get heartburn and throw up most of the time i take it just sometimes.

For weight loss the best non-steroid drugs imo are amphetamines, in low dosage and will also help pushing the prolactine down (amphs are indirect dopamine agonists). If you don't want or can't use them, then we have some nice cactus called hoodia gordonii (gordoni -> fat person, in Spanish, lol) which they used to suppress appetite during hunting. It is sold by some herbal shops and should be available in the states.

For me prozac is no different from any of the SSRIs with exception of Zoloft which made me hear whispers. Was close in time to another, serious intoxication so Idk but it also didn't work at all nor give the typical serotonergic withdrawal symptoms like brain zaps.

Throwing up also causes weight loss ;)

[I'm kidding, definitely don't do that]

I'm on Omeprazole and it's really good for heartburn without interfering with meds. Might be worth asking about that.

I'm on Omeprazole and it's really good for heartburn without interfering with meds. Might be worth asking about that.
Aren't the prazoles OTC now? At least in Europe they were. Work reliably and without many side effects indeed.

Throwing up also causes weight loss
Not kidding, tried it and I can't as long as I'm not seriously nauseous. Something about my reflexes is sketchy.

But shit can the drugs really leave a permanent effect on you like that? Because ive been clean for quite some time now. I really think it could be the fact that i overdosed once as a suicide attempt and i think that caused me to permanently have high blood pressure. Truth is idk. My psychiatrist wants me to see a doctor about it. Havent done so yet. Im scared about the high blood pressure bc she said it can lead to strokes.
it depends on a number of factors like what drugs you're on and for how long. ODing either purposely or not will definitely have a long term effect, if not permanent.

pretty certain my problems are mostly due to crack- cocaine does cause long term blood pressure increases and from what i can tell cardiovascular damage of any type is at best long lived.

mostly data is based on case studies cos you can't ethically study this shit.

i must be doing it wrong. i developed bulimia last year, guess restrictive EDs get boring after > 20 fucking years, and have lost basically nothing. that said the thinnest people i've known were all AN B/P.

[I'm kidding, definitely don't do that]

Lmfaooo 😂😂😂 and dont worry im not like that anymore and Gracias i might look into the medication. Bro im pretty damn young to be getting heartburn. Fucking prozac man 😂

Bro im pretty damn young to be getting heartburn. Fucking prozac man 😂
Does anybody know if heartburn is always the stomach or possibly from other origins (pancreas, angina pectoris stuff etc)? I developed strong heartburn from overusing DXM alongside with MPH used offlabel as antidepressant and the doc gave me omeprazol but it didn't do shit, had to stop the medicals and in follow lost my job. Even now years later I don't tolerate DXM anymore, initially just ONE 50mg XR was enough to trigger the pain. I thought it to be angina pectoris which scared me somewhat but guess I was wrong. Still, as neither omeprazole nor these aluminium salts/silicon baggies the pharmacies sell helped, I'm curious.

Aren't the prazoles OTC now? At least in Europe they were. Work reliably and without many side effects indeed.

Not kidding, tried it and I can't as long as I'm not seriously nauseous. Something about my reflexes is sketchy.

Think yourself lucky. I spent 6 years trying (and unable) to make myself sick. I then worked it out and spent 17 years wishing I never had.

Omeprazole isn't but similar ones like Esomeprazole are OTC I think.

it depends on a number of factors like what drugs you're on and for how long. ODing either purposely or not will definitely have a long term effect, if not permanent.

pretty certain my problems are mostly due to crack- cocaine does cause long term blood pressure increases and from what i can tell cardiovascular damage of any type is at best long lived.

mostly data is based on case studies cos you can't ethically study this shit.

i must be doing it wrong. i developed bulimia last year, guess restrictive EDs get boring after > 20 fucking years, and have lost basically nothing. that said the thinnest people i've known were all AN B/P.

Yeah, I was AN b/p type. Bulimia doesn't really cause weight loss; most bulimics are either a healthy weight or slightly overweight.

Yeah, I was AN b/p type.
i was R, i just couldn't eat for the life of me. which is why its so weird to me that now i have the opposite problem.

Bulimia doesn't really cause weight loss; most bulimics are either a healthy weight or slightly overweight.
i know, fucking sucks but what makes no sense to me is that when i was living at my parents i started purging my dinner, i would try not to flush cos it makes me feel unwell very quickly but i'd get as much as i could out and i still didn't lose. i didn't replace those calories (to my knowledge) by eating more earlier in the day. i usually assume CICO is king but that makes me doubt it. then when i moved into my new place i told my boyf straight up so he'd get on my back if i did it, so stopped, massively increased my drinking. and lost 5 lbs in a month without even attempting to. like wtf?!?