• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Propranolol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fermonos

Bluelighter
I was prescribed Propranolol for anxiety and didn't do any research on the drug.

Anyway, Doc told me to take 40mg three times a day as needed when having an episode (panic attack). I've been getting really dizzy and constant pins and needles in my legs while on this drug also.

I took some and it seems to really help my anxiety so me being an avid drug user I of course over did it. I've been taking 120-160mg everyday for the past 3 weeks, I just recently done some research on the drug and apparently it can be very departmental to your health suddenly stopping this drug, I'm just a little scared now which is kinda weird this Propranolol is supposed to stop this..

Basically, should I be okay continuing doing what I am doing or should I get in touch with my Doctor and express my concerns?

Oh and I took 40mg of amitriptyline as I was feeling down and wanted to get some sleep so I didn't have to feel like this.

But now I can feel a weird feeling in my chest I've never felt before and a sharp shooting sensation around my neck, back and shoulders. Oh and my fingertips are numb.

I've had similar shooting sensations from taking too much amitriptyline alone, but the numbness in your fingertips sounds concerning. The propanolol is probably causing hypotension issues for you (hence the dizziness). It's not a med that's going to provide euphoria or get you messed up, it basically just blocks your body's peripheral response to adrenergic stimulation.

I think cardiovascular issues are a concern, (hypertension, arrythmias) if you abruptly stop high doses. If you quickly taper down and moniter your BP, I think you'll be fine. Just don't try to abuse this med in the future.

I'm not exactly 'abusing' it so to speak. I'm just not taking it as required, taking it all the time so I don't get the 'panic' feeling. I actually feel really pleasant now and super happy, first time in a while!

I don't have anything to monitor my BP on so yeah haha, I have a doctors appointment in 3 weeks and I'll express my concerns then to him I guess.

That sounds like a good plan :)

Personally, I don't see any reason why you couldn't take propranolol everyday anyways. I would just caution that even though it's nothing compared to benzos, tolerance can happen. I took a beta blocker for cardiovascular issues, and when i tried stopping abruptly, I was nearly ER ridden. I had to slowly taper off.

If propranolol works for your anxiety though, I personally think it's one of the lowest risk meds for that indication, so hopefully you can find a good dosing regimen that mitigates your side effects.

Good luck :)

In the future, please don't post the same question in multiple forums. If you think a thread would be more appropriate or get more answers somewhere else, you can ask a mod to move it. I see that you have a duplicate question in BDD

Closed for now

Status
Not open for further replies.