• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Promethazine

The Holy Quadruplty

Bluelighter
This is the promethazine thread! Post anything you want about promethazine like if you've tried it, want to try it, the effects you felt, how much you did, if you did it with any other drugs, if you did it by itself, any knowledge you have about promethazine, rate it, if it was the pills, if it was the syrup with codeine, and or anything thing like that. What type of syrup was it if you drank the syrup? Like was it Hi Tech, Wockhardt, Actavis, etc...? I'm looking forward to your answers!

Last edited:
I took promethazine alone and it was like hydroxyzine, nothing special. It's good for potenation of other downers, due to its added sedation and effects on enzymes (some drugs this may backfire so I'd check for interactions), but alone I'd rather just take a doxylamine or chlorpheniramine if I'm going to take an antihistamine.

Definitely did not find any recreational potential in the slightest.

I took promethazine alone and it was like hydroxyzine, nothing special. It's good for potenation of other downers, due to its added sedation and effects on enzymes (some drugs this may backfire so I'd check for interactions), but alone I'd rather just take a doxylamine or chlorpheniramine if I'm going to take an antihistamine.

Definitely did not find any recreational potential in the slightest.
I take chlorpheniramine and promethazine with my Subutex, but you gotta take it in high doses or with opioids to have recreational effects which definitely exists with promethazine!

If I can throw out an analogy, if opiates are like a fine liquor, then promethazine is like low to mid quality pretzels you snack on while drinking it. Antihistamines can add drowsiness and mitigate itching from opiates, which is nice, but there's not much to say about them beyond that.

I think some people are confused and think that the codeine/promethazine syrups are just promethazine or something. The OP is talking about HI Tech and Actavis like they are just Promethazine. What is getting you truly high in those preparations is the Codeine...if your going to be mentioning those syrups I feel like you should deff be stating they contain an Opioid otherwise the post can be confusing.

I've tripped many times on very strong LSD, MOLLY, and all that, but the trips I've got from promethazine we're just as strong if not stronger. When I take it with the other stuff atleast, and high doses is when you really trip. People really underestimate promethazine. Sad because it's a really good drug. Not just recreationally, but medically as well.

I think some people are confused and think that the codeine/promethazine syrups are just promethazine or something. The OP is talking about HI Tech and Actavis like they are just Promethazine. What is getting you truly high in those preparations is the Codeine...if your going to be mentioning those syrups I feel like you should deff be stating they contain an Opioid otherwise the post can be confusing.
I put that if you've done it with any other drug, and or promethazine with codeine syrups.

How is promethazine compared to prothipendyl or doxepin?
Ive never tried them that I know of, or can remember atleast. I know Promethazine is similar to Benadryl, Doxylamine, other antihistamines, other antispycotics, and others.

I've tripped many times on very strong LSD, MOLLY, and all that, but the trips I've got from promethazine we're just as strong if not stronger. When I take it with the other stuff atleast, and high doses is when you really trip. People really underestimate promethazine. Sad because it's a really good drug. Not just recreationally, but medically as well.
Interesting, I misunderstood your original post then. I never heard of anybody using promethazine in this way. Normally deliriants are seen as pretty miserable hallucinogens, because the effects are pretty horrifying, to the point of being very dangerous and damaging.

Does it feel like a deliriant? Have you tried diphenhydramine in hallucinatory doses, how does it compare?

Interesting, I misunderstood your original post then. I never heard of anybody using promethazine in this way. Normally deliriants are seen as pretty miserable hallucinogens, because the effects are pretty horrifying, to the point of being very dangerous and damaging.

Does it feel like a deliriant? Have you tried diphenhydramine in hallucinatory doses, how does it compare?
Yea it definitely feels like a deliriant similar to diphenhydramine as it is a deliriant similar to diphenhydramine, but it's a phenothiazine antipsychotic as well. Promethazine trips are way more intense than diphenhydramine trips o feel like, and has more of a traditional psychedelic trip to it. They're pretty similar though, and yes I took diphenhydramine in hallucinatory doses. NMDA antagonism effects from promethazine give more of a dissociative feel to it, although I'm pretty sure I read diphenhydramine might be a NMDA antagonist as well, but if it is I'm sure it's way less of one than promethazine. Something else unique about Prometh is that it binds to mu, kappa, and delta opioid receptors which is the only antihistamine I know of besides chlorpheniramine, and cyclizine that do bind to them. I don't know if they're agonist or antagonist of the receptors, but I'm sure they're agonist. I don't think their affinity for the opioid receptors are high enough to have much if any opioid effects. It also binds to sigma opioid receptors.

If I can throw out an analogy, if opiates are like a fine liquor, then promethazine is like low to mid quality pretzels you snack on while drinking it. Antihistamines can add drowsiness and mitigate itching from opiates, which is nice, but there's not much to say about them beyond that.
That is a fucking brilliant analogy👍

Yea it definitely feels like a deliriant similar to diphenhydramine as it is a deliriant similar to diphenhydramine, but it's a phenothiazine antipsychotic as well. Promethazine trips are way more intense than diphenhydramine trips o feel like, and has more of a traditional psychedelic trip to it. They're pretty similar though, and yes I took diphenhydramine in hallucinatory doses. NMDA antagonism effects from promethazine give more of a dissociative feel to it
Interesting, I had just written off all deliriants as extremely unpleasant and very mentally damaging from all the datura and diphenhydramine trip reports I have read. I've taken diphenhydramine in doses up to 250mg and that was plenty for me to see that venturing further would be pretty horrible. I still don't ever plan on trying promethazine, i'm just shocked someone has something positive to say about a deliriant.

Good luck to you and use safely, obviously try to get promethazine only preparations.

Interesting, I had just written off all deliriants as extremely unpleasant and very mentally damaging from all the datura and diphenhydramine trip reports I have read. I've taken diphenhydramine in doses up to 250mg and that was plenty for me to see that venturing further would be pretty horrible. I still don't ever plan on trying promethazine, i'm just shocked someone has something positive to say about a deliriant.

Good luck to you and use safely, obviously try to get promethazine only preparations.
Thanks, and yea I got promethazine only pills 12.5mg.

woodnt prmoazhine and promethazine stop some dat activity or like some stronger antihistamines even maybe stop some psychosis lighter one like bordering with anxiety so, i tried promazhine and it's good for stopping stims which.....are not drugs of choice but will stop those drugs of choice bad side effects

Shit man I thought promethazine was like dramamine to help stop nausea...tripping on promethazine sounds insane to me. I'm guessing your tablets are prescribed?

Shit man I thought promethazine was like dramamine to help stop nausea...tripping on promethazine sounds insane to me. I'm guessing your tablets are prescribed?
It's similar to Dramamine. Yes they're prescribed, but I've been out for a while since I've been waking up late haven't been able to make an appointment so taking Diphenhydramine instead for now.

It's similar to Dramamine. Yes they're prescribed, but I've been out for a while since I've been waking up late haven't been able to make an appointment so taking Diphenhydramine instead for now.
I wonder why you are waking up late? Could it be that you are dosing sleep med/antihistamines too much or too often?
I really do not get it. Seriously why would anyone want to take DPH for recreation? Fuck that man get a real hallucinogen or pick up a real drug addiction(not really just saying.). Why shovel promethazine or for the love of God WHY take DPH?

I do find it interesting that you say promethazine having visuals and shit, I am sure I could just Google around and figure it out but at the end of the day (at least for me) I drink the syrup for the codeine buzz. All codeine syrups I have had recently did not have promethazine in it, just guiffessen. And I have had a tablet or 2 before of promethazine but that was to aid the nausea for WD after a binge on OC 80s.

It's hard for me to understand of any recreational value ESPECIALLY for Dipahedramine. I feel like maybe you are young/new & experimenting(please excuse me if my assumptions are way off).