• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Pride Parade!

well.. i just got home from the parade :)
the dykes on bikes opened the parade... i wanna do that someday ;)
as for the discussion going on here, there were many more cause floats and marchers than there were just plain gay people 'flaunting' themselves.... (personally, i say flaunt away, there were hotties! ;) )
all in all, i had a gay old time!
aj the femme

For the 'next level' in blatant public shows of sexuality, try the Folsom Street Fair.

right on, aj :D I can't wait to get down to Atlanta next year... A friend of mine told me this year the leatherdykes-on-bikes took up 15-20 minutes of the parade... dayum!!

this was my first toronto pride parade...i didn't get home until 7:30am monday morning...i had so much fun and met some incredible people
it was just a huge street party with so much music, so many great costumes, and so many happy people...and bars open tilll 4am
i loved it!
can't wait for next year!
;)

Its one weekend a year. It no more is a disruption of traffic problem then the 4th of july, mardi gras in new orleans etc.. I mean if they paraded down the street every weekend it would be an inconvience but once a year it is a unique cultural event.
I mean the people participating certainly aren't using more than their appropriate share of public spaces.
Also it isn't rubbing peoples faces in it. How hard is it to avoid the well publisized parade one day a year? Even the damn KKK gets to march and express their views how bad can seeing some men and women go at it be?
Personally I didn't go to the parade. It was early in SF and I got thourghly trashed at the awesome night before street party...more fun than the parade probably...it isn't like they need support in SF anyway...going into the city that day is just insane as everyone and their mother is doing the same thing.

Too commercial!
I remember when I went to my first Pride parade about nine years ago that there where no corporate floats whatsoever. They were ashamed to be in the Parade, to be supportive of gay (human) rights and lifestyle. Then about the mid 90's I remember the first few corporate sponsers coming on board. Everyone loved them because, FINALLY, we were mainstream. Nowadays the Pride parades are awash with corporations telling gay people how much they love them... and their money. The Pride parade is becoming one big ad campaign. Float after float of 'AT&T', 'Budweiser', etc.
I'm not for tossing out all corporate sponsers. I think one's like 'Showtime' were appropriate because they have acknowledged us in a signifigant way with their programming (ie Queer as Folk). But, a lot of these sponsors just seem to be advertising and not making any contribution to the community whatsoever.

Listen. I'm sick of all these people like beachboyty implying that because I don't want to see a bunch of fags jumping around in spandex and leather s&m outfits on my fucking streets that I am homophobic or that I can't handle a little open sexuality.
It has nothing to do with that - we know how our media runs - and if the gay community doesn't want to put out a bad name for itself then it should learn to keep those people under wraps.
This, in all honesty, offends me no more than it would if it were a bunch of straight guys dressed up only in leather bikini bottoms and doing raunchy dances with women on floats in the middle of a public space. And the fact that you tell me that I should have to live with it and if I can't then I have something wrong with me - shows that it is simply something you cannot\do not have an open mind-set on.
I don't want my brothers, sister, and my child (when I have one) watching this type of behavior- nor is this the kind of behavior I want to see.
By the way - does anyone think that if I danced around on a float with girls in g-strings and rubbed my speedo-laden testicles on her for a couple hours while riding on a float and dancing\waving to people that it would be considered heterosexual pride? Maybe if I was dressed up in some leather or have some body paint? Well, shit...the more flamboyant(sp?), obviously the more gay they *must* be. Right?
I mean, seriously. Why not just distribute some fucking fliers for your cause instead of trying to bring all this attention to being proud of our differences. Be proud of who you are, not what you were made to be.
I don't know, I have so much to say on this topic that I just can't think of it all at the moment - it comes so jumbled this early in the AM. I'll edit\post more later.
[ 03 July 2002: Message edited by: xMemnonx ]

Originally posted by xMemnonx:
I'm sick of all these people like beachboyty implying that because I don't want to see a bunch of fags jumping around in spandex and leather s&m outfits on my fucking streets that I am homophobic or that I can't handle a little open sexuality.
Firstly you should check yourself before singling people out and making assumptions on their implications. It seems you missed his main point:
Originally posted by beachboyty:
I believe that anyone who can't handle a few taboo breakers flaunting lurid sexuality interspersed between group after group of affirming and life-enriching organizations...should either reorder their priorities or just check out for a while and check back in when the dust has cleared.
...the large majority [of participants] are church groups, political groups, politicians, marching bands, AIDS support groups, PFLAG groups and a bunch of other participants that are not sexual in any way whatsoever.
It's funny how you mentioned "It has nothing to do with that - we know how our media runs - and if the gay community doesn't want to put out a bad name for itself then it should learn to keep those people under wraps." How do you suggest keeping "those people under wraps?" Have you ever witnessed a pride parade first-hand to make the above comments? Because implying that the parade consists of nothing more than "a bunch of fags jumping around in spandex and leather s&m outfits," is pretty harsh. You further demonstrate that you wouldn't even give it remote credence when you say, "Why not just distribute some fucking fliers for your cause instead of trying to bring all this attention to being proud of our differences. Be proud of who you are, not what you were made to be." You definitely missed the point.
But after perusing a list of parades in NYC, may I suggest a couple other parades for which you can tell to "distribute some fucking flyers":
St. Patrick's Day Parade
The Greek Independence Day Parade
The Christians—Easter Promenade
Potheads ;) —Million Marijuana March
Norwegian-American Parade
Salute to Israel Parade
Philippine Independence Day Parade & Festival
Hare Krishna (Hindu) Parade
Desfile Dominicano Festival
The Puerto Rican Day Parade
Brooklyn Latino Pride Festival
Bronx Dominican Parade
Brooklyn Puerto Rican Day Parade
Pakistani-American Independence Day Parade
Bronx Caribbean Cultural Parade
West Indian American Day Carnival Parade
Brazilian Festival
The Steuben Day Parade (those damn germans)
African-American Day Parade
Muslim Parade
Nigerian Parade
Pulaski Day Parade
Korean Harvest Day Parade
Hispanic Day Parade
~Erik

^^I completely agree that any "pride" parade based on race, sexual orientation, etc. should be ended, but that's just my thoughts on them.
By the way - yes, I have seen *a* gay pride parade first hand. And the way I perceived it was almost exactly as I desribed it. More than a good part of the show is oriented towards the "in your face - look how flaming fucking gay I can be" attitude. This only brings more problems to the table and sets the cause back as a whole. When I think of "gay pride" (whatever the fuck that is in the first place) that really is the image that comes to mind. Oh shit, I wonder why.
It's like an analogy I heard last night to the catholic church. There are thousands and thousands of priests who are not molesting little boys, but the moment a little boy gets molested I don't think anyone would really have a problem with me pointing out the obvious negative point. I think because this is such a controvertial subject things get distorted and it is hard for anyone to really look at it subjectively.
I find that this is *not* being proud of your sexuality - it is simply an "in your face" to the straight, and especially conservative-straight community. I don't think it helps your cause, and I don't really see what the point of being proud of being gay is. I mean, you were born that way right? What is there for you to be proud of, that you can get dressed up really femanine and dance around with a bunch of half-naked guys? I mean, are you pressing your right to be openly gay or are you trying to press your first-amendment rights?
I don't know, maybe I'm way wrong - I just see no purpose for such an open display of flamboyant homosexuality.
[EDIT: PUNCTUATION.]
[ 03 July 2002: Message edited by: xMemnonx ]

By the way - does anyone think that if I danced around on a float with girls in g-strings and rubbed my speedo-laden testicles on her for a couple hours while riding on a float and dancing\waving to people that it would be considered heterosexual pride? Maybe if I was dressed up in some leather or have some body paint? Well, shit...the more flamboyant(sp?), obviously the more gay they *must* be. Right?
Hmmm this is interesting but straight people dont have to have a pride parade its a 24 hour a day thing. Psychologically it is a good thing for gay pride parade the people who flaunt there sexuality are usually the people who were closeted for so long that this is the only way they can say what they are finally. Its important for the ego to let it all hang out so to speak after keeping it all in for so long. Im here im queer get use to it isnt a rub it in your face thing its an afermation of the right to be who you are in a society that doesnt want you to be anything but the status quo. In america we stress individuality but when that is put to the test we are shown that individuality is fine as long as it falls into a few basic categories. If one out of ten people were straight with teh remaining population gay there would be straight pride parads for in these parads we find a community we didnt know exsisted full of multifacited people who lead normal to exotic lives who are all there to say hey we support you we need to stick together. This is not to say that it is a elitist thing we support you only if you are gay its more of a we support cultural diversity in any form. There are such orginizations as the lgbts {lesbian gay bi tansvestite straight allience} alliences. If you do not belive it is appropriate to show this kind of display than that is fine part of the gay pride parade is tolerence and in such cities as massachusetts and the midwest they have lobbied to make such lurid scenes as you describe it a thing of the past focusing on only the support aspects of the parade. Also it is an open parade no body went to you home asked you to go to the gay pride parad and cast a judgment, the parades would be mroe happy that people who didnt belive in them did not go so that the atmosphere of peace unity and truethfullness can happen without negitive consequences. All in all i belive in your right to have an opinion to ahve free speach but i also belive in your right to use freedom of speach in a more effective manner. you dont like it lobby against it in your local area. Also the whole gyrating into a girl in a bikinni thing, ever go to mardi gra? want some beads?
-phil-

^^I can't seem to get across the point I want to. People keep coming at me telling me that I need to look past all the lude behavior and let gay people act however they want so that they can get an ego-boost and not feel bad about their sexuality?
Take it this way - if I was ashamed of being a boy for the first 20 years of my life and then I went to a "male pride" parade and went around fighting everyone and yelling at people because "that's what guys do!" people would have a problem with that - and I would expect them to. i dont know, im tired and stoned and i cant really think of a better analogy even though that one sux - but i think it displays the point im trying to convey.

^^^^^^^^^ the only difference is that being male isnt looked down upon. and everyday in america is male pride day ;) what do the ladies think?
-phil-

Why not just ignore it then, xMemnonx? What's the point of giving something you can't stand so much attention? It's not like I'm going to gather a crew and show up at your doorstep in my leather.

It's not that I have a problem with it - I actually don't care. It's just that I wonder why it is that these people then complain that gay people get a bad rep as a whole and that they are treated unfairly or misrepresented. It's not true. If that's gay pride - then that is part of what you as gays are proud of? Be proud then, don't be angry when the media covers it selectivly - you think the media is 100% subjective? LOL
The fact is that I would treat anyone who did that type of thing the same way. And not because they are gay.

Originally posted by xMemnonx:
This, in all honesty, offends me no more than it would if it were a bunch of straight guys dressed up only in leather bikini bottoms and doing raunchy dances with women on floats in the middle of a public space.
you mean mardi gras?

But gay people had a bad rep before the pride marches, not because of them. If some of the floats go over the top, well, that's probably for the reasons Phil said, that people have been held down for a long time and had to hide or suppress what they are.
Your analogy to 'male pride' falls down because fighting people is clearly undesirable, whereas dressing provocatively is as much in the eye of the beholder as in the action of the 'provocatively dressed' one, and (as previously said) you don't have to look at it.
Gay people have suffered a history of persecution, been imprisoned, beaten, vilified, sometimes murdered for their sexuality. Even today, my gay friends have to pick and choose which pubs to go to, monitor their own speech (e.g. refer to their 'partners' in gender neutral terms so as to avoid harassment). Given that, is it really any surprise that, when given the chance, some gays want to flaunt their sexuality?

So the fuck what? Black people feel oppressed too, does this give them a right to go shooting and honkey that drives through his ghetto?
Get fucking real, if something is offensive - it's offensive. Don't make excuses. Fuck, does no one understand?

Last time I looked, gay people weren't shooting straights from their carnival floats...
You don't like it, don't watch....it's really that simple....
And "if something is offensive, its offensive" is patently wrong. Whether something is offensive is at least partly in the eye of the beholder. There are plenty of religious groups out there who would ban most of the films and TV I watch (and I'm willing to bet you watch at least some of the same films). They use the same argument you used in your last post.

I agree with Simon - if you don't like it don't watch it!! What is the big deal?
Happy Pride week people ;)
[ 04 July 2002: Message edited by: Buzz_light_year ]