• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Pretty sure I got an NBOMe, but it tested purple with Ehrlich's reagent...

bonnaroovet

Greenlighter
So tonight I tried some blotter I purchased from a new source. I tested it with an Ehrlich reagent (This one to be exact) and I got what I thought to be a positive result for LSD. I broke the first ampule, no color change as expected. I broke the second ampule, no noticeable color change. But then on the third ampule, the paper turned pink, and then purple over the next ten minutes or so.

Tonight I tried this stuff for the first time, and immediately notice that it had a bitter taste and made my tongue go numb for quite a while. The trip ended up being great, and very similar to LSD, however I am convinced I got 25i NBOMe because of the numbness and taste.

My question is then, does 25i NBOMe also test positive in an Ehrlich's reagent? Or is it possible I somehow screwed up the test?

If you swallow NBOMe's they don't work or work poorly, so if you have another tab that could be one way to test it. I've heard even some acid is bitter, so I don't think that's a fool-proof way to differentiate between NBOMe and LSD. Also, 25i kicked in pretty quickly for me, like < 30 minutes, although I'm not sure how long acid takes to kick in. Not sure about the reagent test, sorry.

Ehrlich's reagent only reacts with indoles (NBOMes are not one) as far as I know.

Probably just good high dose lsd

It did kick in pretty quick for me compared to acid (~20 min vs. 45 min to an hour for LSD) and it also didn't last as long as acid usually does (8 hours vs 10-12 hours).

bonnaroovet, I have run into the same scenario. The compound I tried was absolutely not LSD yet tested somewhat positive for an indole. (I say somewhat because the reaction was a very light pink @ ~30-60 sec to a faint lavender after several minutes)
Given the possibilities that could be active on a std hit of blotter it would seem highly unlikely that this would be an indole other than LSD.

And there lies the mystery. I know for sure this was not LSD but the test implies otherwise.

My theory is that those laying the RC blotter have been getting smarter and are trying to ‘beat’ the test so to speak by adding a small amount of an indole into the mix. If this hypothesis is correct, the suspect indole would not need be active in the ug or very low mg range so as to fit on a std blotter. It would just need to be enough to test positive for an indole. (maybe this is why the reaction I observed was not exactly distinct)

Although this is just a theory I feel further examination is warranted. Anyone with insight as to how much indole must be present trigger a reaction when using Ehrlich’s would be useful. (I’m sure this information is available, I just have not begun to search for it)

It has been forever since I used Ehrlich's reagent but I thought the second vial needed to go purple as well? Sorry if I'm wrong there.

Ehrlich's reagent only reacts with indoles (NBOMes are not one) as far as I know.

Probably just good high dose lsd
I completely disagree.

Mouth numbing is a tell tale sign of an nbome

Not neccesarily. Many alkaloids can leave a metallic or tingling senation in the mouth, easily mistaken for "numbing" - LSD included.

The true "tell tale sign of a NBOMe" is oral inactivity. If you blotters work if you just eat them whole - not NBOMe.

Wait, NBOME's are not active orally? How can this be, I thought 25i was notorious for being sold on blotter and being passed off as LSD? If it's not active orally, how would one go about dosing?

I'm completely confused now...

Put them under your tongue, or along the gumline etc? That's what a lot of people do with blotter by default.

to be honest I don't think that there's been a lot of selling 25x as LSD on blotter, anyway... (I figured it was for the obvious reason - LSD is orally active NBOMEs aren't*!) more likely suspect is DOx but even then those are more often sold as DOx by name nowadays... (although the occasional asshole will pass DOI tabs off as blotter cid once in a while)

* some people report mild threhold-type stuff with multiple milligrams, but thats just silly.

to be honest I don't think that there's been a lot of selling 25x as LSD on blotter, anyway...

If you haven't seen the massive uptick in intensely bitter, obviously numbing, poorly bioavailable blotter in the last year, you just haven't been paying attention.

Put them under your tongue, or along the gumline etc? That's what a lot of people do with blotter by default

But you just said it's not active orally. Putting it under your tongue or along your gumline, that's the same as taking a blotter of LSD and letting it sit on your tongue and swirling it around your mouth for maximum absorption. That to me, is dosing orally.

I'm still confused...

^ It's called sublingual. The idea is to let the compound absorb through the moucous membranes in the mouth..

NBOMe's have very poor/none activity when swallowed.

But you just said it's not active orally. Putting it under your tongue or along your gumline, that's the same as taking a blotter of LSD and letting it sit on your tongue and swirling it around your mouth for maximum absorption. That to me, is dosing orally.

I'm still confused...

Oral dosing is when you swallow the substance.

NBOMe's are orally active as long as they're complexed with cyclodextrin

Mod edit: All the evidence points to this not being true, including many people attempting it. Cyclodextrin is to increase absorption with other ROAs, not to make the compound active orally, sorry ~Jesusgreen

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't seen the massive uptick in intensely bitter, obviously numbing, poorly bioavailable blotter in the last year, you just haven't been paying attention.

Or he lives in an area with less dickheads that try to pass off RCs as acid. Certainly don't get that problem round here.

That is entirely new information to me. Have you complexed yourself and tried dosing completely orally yourself? Or did you hear about it from others?

As far as I'm aware this is completely untrue. Complexing is to increase the amount that is absorbed when the compound is used buccally or sublingually, it doesn't make the compound active orally. I've not tested this myself since I wouldn't want to waste hits, but friends have tried this and it was still as orally inactive as ever.

This was a rumour spread due to some confusion over why blotters were being complexed.

Also, with regards to the Ehrlich reagent results, I've heard of people testing 25I-NBOMe blotter with Ehrlichs and getting a pink/purple result, I'm not sure if this meant they did not have 25I-NBOMe, or if something causes these to false positive as indoles, but it's worth looking into.

Yeah, I was under the impression liver metabolism destroys the N-benzyl group. B/y-Cyclodex is just starch in the end, it's not going to inhibit metabolism.