• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Pregnant, oxys... Please please help

Aww thanks do much, I really do appreciate the advice & the compassion for someone u don't even know- restores some of my faith in the human population ��

i am home now, in absolute agony. Trying to get my ob to call me back & also waiting from a call back from the only drug place in the area. The bloke I spoke to still said I won't be until start of next week.
Withdrawals are bad, if it gets much worse I think I will go into the hospital.

Thanks everyone

Ok, I have finally heard from my ob & she has been doing absolutely everything possible to help me over the last couple days, making a million phone calls etc.
i am seeing the drug place on Tuesday to go onto methadone program but she has written me a script to get me thru until then. I have to go in now & have a urine & blood test to prove that I have been taking them & not selling them.

Damn right! Thank you for posting back and I'm so glad it worked out well for you. Keep well for you and the little one!

Good work, i'm so glad your obstetrician has been compassionate and professional enough to sort that out for you.
Wishing you all the best.

Thanks ��
well, it hasn't worked out yet..
I have to have a painful conversation with my partner tonight. He knows what I've been taking to a point but doesn't know I've gotten in trouble & he's very anti drug & it's going to be difficult to get him to understand.
The pharmacy where I am getting the oxys from for the 1 week before the methadone has just told me that they don't think they will be able to set up the methadone program, mainly because it's just time consuming so I will have to drive half hour each way everyday to get my dose.. Don't know how I'm going to do that with 3 kids & the cost of petrol.
Excuse me if this sounds very stupid, but could I use the methadone for a week to get over the oxy withdrawals & would I be ok to stop then? I know they are similar drugs but I have read somewhere people using just while going thru withdrawals?

Before suboxone many clinics in my area would do methadone detoxes and you can do it but you would have to ween each day. So if they put you on say 40 mgs you'd have to cut your dose each day and I believe they would reduce the dose by like 25%. As I'm saying this though I'm not sure if it'd be ideal in your condition ask the methadone clinic if it would be safe for you to do a taper.

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking namnoc, thanks.
My ob is still saying that me withdrawing will not affect the baby so how could doing a methadone taper be any worse?
She only organised this for me because she felt bad for me & knows it wasn't all my fault..
i live in a tiny town half hour away from a small city & everyone knows each other here, my god it was so hard going into the pharmacy to get 1 days worth of tablets. People that work there looking at me strangely who have kids that go to school with my kids.. Far out, it's tough.. :(

I am taking medication for a legitimate reason but I'm just so over it all, I'd prefer to just deal with the pain, and I think I could if I didn't have withdrawals on top of it. I could do it for my baby <3
Would I have any withdrawals doing it that way does anyone know?

When a baby is born addicted to pain pills, drugs or methadone does dyfs get called? I am pretty sure they do with illicit drugs but how about prescription? Like methadone for instance, do you have to deal with child services breathing down your neck now? I don't know if its different in each state but I believe in NJ the hospital is legally obligated to call.

I'm in Australia & I'm actually not sure. I really don't think so with prescription but I better find out.
Just another thing to worry about..

I still had minor wds but not the serious I'm going to cut my legs off because they won't stay still kind.Couldn't sleep for awhile and had the bubble guts(god I hated the bubble guts). Another thing I hated about wd was trying to sleep all night and right before dawn I'd hear the fucking birds start chirping outside and I knew another night without sleep,wanted to kill all fucking birds!

I'm not expert on this matter by any means, but i don't imagine child services or whoever being contacted because you are legally prescribed these drugs.
try not to let it stress you - what's done is done, and it sounds like you've got things under control as best you can.

No, definitely not, for legitimately prescribed drugs as part of a medically managed program to detox yourself and baby.

No, definitely not, for legitimately prescribed drugs as part of a medically managed program to detox yourself and baby.
Yeah I agree that's why I put a disclaimer in my answer but she could ask the clinic. They possibly will have a protocol for such things!

Yeah I agree.

What does everyone think about me taking the methadone for a week so I don't get bad withdrawals from the oxys?

Yeah I agree.

What does everyone think about me taking the methadone for a week so I don't get bad withdrawals from the oxys?

You can't be serious. If you're thinking of taking methadone without proper medical care and under the supervision of a physician, you're playing with fire. Unless you're going to go through your OBGYN and a medical methadone clinic, that's a crazy idea. You don't know the correct dosage to take, if it will elevate your blood pressure or heart rate, any other potentially deadly symptoms methadone could cause in your pregnancy.

You need to address your addiction issues instead of swapping one opiate for another, as that's just repeating the addiction cycle with your unborn baby.

No, everything I am doing is exactly what I am told to do by my dr. As it's the weekend I can't talk to her about possibly doing the methadone taper. I have a meeting on Tuesday about starting the methadone & I was going to talk to them about all the possibilities then.
I have never overused by much but I have definitely learnt a hard lesson.

A local woman just lost her newborn when CPS hair tested her after giving birth. It didn't matter if she was legally prescribed opiates or not, she had one sick baby born in withdrawals because she was exceeding the daily amount. Someone called on her, I believe. She also tested positive for herion because she decided it would be a brilliant idea to use heroin in place of her meds to keep withdrawals at bay.
But where is "local"? You're talking about the US, i take it - and OP has already stated that she is in Australia.
Also, there were clearly extenuating circumstances, if "someone called on her".

Bottom line:

1. Get your shit together.
Is this really necessary? I think we have established quite clearly that she is deeply concerned about her pregnancy. Doesn't need a guilt trip as she is more than capable of concern.
I would talk to your healthcare professionals (particularly those scripting you methadone) about this, but from my own experience, buprenorphine (as found in subutex and suboxone) is pretty good for short-term tapers.
In other words, you can do what you have proposed to do here with bupe/subs - but i'm not sure it works so well with methadone.
Having said that, please bear in mind the very good info in this post from the previous page (quoted for posterity!):
^ this study says that bupe is a safe and effective methadone alternative in pregnancy and possibly easier for OP to acquire. this study looks favorable on suboxone but naltrexone OTOH is questionable in pregnancy, naloxone has issues as well but amount crossing over to the baby is likely to be little. subutex would be preferable; like anything it is a cost-benefit analysis although a particularly unfortunate one in this scenario. My recommendation would still be methadone TBh.

standard disclaimer not medical advice etc.

If you want to do a quick taper and get off the oxycodone while you're still pregnant, i think subutex would probably be a better/
the best option - but i am not medically trained and i know next to nothing about the implications of opiate dependence/withdrawal and pregnancy.
Best to discuss all possible options with your obs/gyn and ORT health care professionals.

Take care, and try not to get too stressed about it all - you are not the first person to go through this, and you and your baby's health are in the safest possible hands. Being honest with your docs was a really important step, which you've already taken. <3