pre workout booster non AAS?

ongos

Bluelighter
I was told by a long time AAS user he uses around 2 tablespoons of glucose pre workout. I tried a tablespoon and it works for me pre and post workout. Feels as if I haven't even lifted. Not sure what glucose's role is when it comes to "repair" as heavy lifting is not only physical but mental as well. Maybe glucose works on the brain first then that helps the physical aspect?

Anyway, another person told me to use ketones instead of glucose. I'm not really sure what is meant by that. Ketones is supposed to be fuel for the brain and body. I read coconut oil is one of them. What are the others? I only use glucose for now since I have a 5 pound bag of it. I hope to find whatever this ketone suggestion is in bulk.

my specialty here!
what do you know about nootropics?
3 grams of l-tyrosine taken 1 hour after your meal and 45 min before the gym will put your focus and mood in a very productive range.
Add your given dose of caffeine
some ephedrine

just start with that, I got much more!....

my specialty here!
what do you know about nootropics?
3 grams of l-tyrosine taken 1 hour after your meal and 45 min before the gym will put your focus and mood in a very productive range.
Add your given dose of caffeine
some ephedrine

just start with that, I got much more!....

what brand of l-tyrosine and what's best powder or pills? So besides l-tyrosine and ephedrine what else could you add in there for mood and energy before your workout?

what brand of l-tyrosine and what's best powder or pills? So besides l-tyrosine and ephedrine what else could you add in there for mood and energy before your workout?

L-tyrosine is an amino acid and dopamine/norepinephrine precursor... Personally you would be better off obtaining it from foods not supplements..
Dopamine synthesis isn't as easy as ingesting precursors, there are rate limiting enzymes involved...

L-tyrosine is an amino acid and dopamine/norepinephrine precursor... Personally you would be better off obtaining it from foods not supplements..
Dopamine synthesis isn't as easy as ingesting precursors, there are rate limiting enzymes involved...

Understood.. thank you Genetic Freak! What's your diet look like right now? What kinds of foods you eating? I've been so sick of eating chicken breast lately man it's been hard getting it down! I love my steak though!

Understood.. thank you Genetic Freak! What's your diet look like right now? What kinds of foods you eating? I've been so sick of eating chicken breast lately man it's been hard getting it down! I love my steak though!

Its summer here so salad veggies with everything, some rice, sweet potato, salmon , chicken or eggs as the main protein source.... nuts seeds, berries... water.. occasional locally produced whey protein just to get the numbers up, if I miss a meal due to some selfish twat getting ill and needing hospital or helicopter transport on my lunch break...

Its summer here so salad veggies with everything, some rice, sweet potato, salmon , chicken or eggs as the main protein source.... nuts seeds, berries... water.. occasional locally produced whey protein just to get the numbers up, if I miss a meal due to some selfish twat getting ill and needing hospital or helicopter transport on my lunch break...

Getting me some steak and sweet taters (that's potatoes for you kiwis and aussies) tonight! God i love sweet potatoes

I was told by a long time AAS user he uses around 2 tablespoons of glucose pre workout. I tried a tablespoon and it works for me pre and post workout. Feels as if I haven't even lifted. Not sure what glucose's role is when it comes to "repair" as heavy lifting is not only physical but mental as well. Maybe glucose works on the brain first then that helps the physical aspect?

Anyway, another person told me to use ketones instead of glucose. I'm not really sure what is meant by that. Ketones is supposed to be fuel for the brain and body. I read coconut oil is one of them. What are the others? I only use glucose for now since I have a 5 pound bag of it. I hope to find whatever this ketone suggestion is in bulk.

Acetone is a ketone...

just checking back again, my pre workout is about a tablespoon of glucose (I used a gram scale and it is about 10-15 g). Is this OK to take since it will be utilized? Post workout same amount but today I tried 2 tablespoons which is about 30 grams (of carbs). Is this a bit much? I know that's about 2 slices of bread but rather "quick release" which I think the brain could really use after an intense workout. Does the muscles actually like glucose post workout? I would assume yes. I do not feel sore at all. Interesting. Also the sodium bicarbonate pre workout does give a boost plus I think it lessens lactic acid, which I think that too much of is bad for you.

See this:

Enhanced Sports Performance

"Distance runners have long engaged in a practice known as "soda doping" -- or taking baking soda capsules -- before races to enhance performance, a measure that's thought to work similarly to carbohydrate loading. It's also been shown to improve speed among swimmers.5 While I don't suggest you try this at home, it's another example of baking soda benefits. Researchers noted:6"

"Essentially, sodium bicarbonate is an alkali substance that increases the pH of the blood. This seems to reduce and offset the acidity produced in the muscles during intense, anaerobic exercise that produces lactic acid most quickly, such as fast running or swimming."

http://www.myhealthwire.com/news/breakthroughs/985?r=1

"In its natural form, baking soda is known as nahcolite, which is part of the natural mineral natron."

Last edited:
Preworkouts have no discernible impact on long term performance. Protein, creatine, and fish oil are properly the only tried and true supplements. Eat a banana/apple and 25 g whey protein about one hour prior to working out. They're fast digesting and won't mess up your stomach. In terms of psychoactive drugs, I would recommend "modafinil." I can work a 10-12 hour day and still have mental capacity to feel like working out on a consistent basis. I wouldn't recommend any other stimulants because they increase heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, and body temperature. For example, I can start breathing out of control and get a headache from caffeine (although I do exert myself hard), whereas modafinil is subtle; you just don't feel tired.

Enhanced Sports Performance

"Distance runners have long engaged in a practice known as "soda doping" -- or taking baking soda capsules -- before races to enhance performance, a measure that's thought to work similarly to carbohydrate loading. It's also been shown to improve speed among swimmers.5 While I don't suggest you try this at home, it's another example of baking soda benefits. Researchers noted:6"

"Essentially, sodium bicarbonate is an alkali substance that increases the pH of the blood. This seems to reduce and offset the acidity produced in the muscles during intense, anaerobic exercise that produces lactic acid most quickly, such as fast running or swimming."

http://www.myhealthwire.com/news/breakthroughs/985?r=1

"In its natural form, baking soda is known as nahcolite, which is part of the natural mineral natron."

Sodium bicarbonate has been researched by sports scientists for some time, some studies have suggested it has great potential for enhancing anaerobic performance. Perhaps the one major confounding factor is the relatively common side effect of stomach problems.

Underlying theory Energy production via anaerobic glycolysis, which is particularly important for events lasting between 30 seconds and 15 minutes, increases the acidity inside the muscle cells and very soon after does the same to the blood. It is this increase in acidity within the muscle cells that is a major factor in producing fatigue in such events. If there was some way to reduce the acidity within the muscle cells, one could theoretically delay fatigue and thus continue exercising at a very high intensity for longer. Sodium bicarbonate is an alkalising agent and therefore reduces the acidity of the blood (known as a buffering action), but cannot enter the muscle cells to reduce the acidity there. However, by buffering acidity in the blood, bicarbonate may be able to draw more of the acid produced within the muscle cells out into the blood and thus reduce the level of acidity within the muscle cells themselves. This could delay the onset of fatigue.

The main benefit from Sodium Bicarb comes with lactic acid buffering, however you need shiteloads of the stuff for it to be effective (about 30grams a day), and it can be pretty hard on the guts, plus being high in sodium (30g sodium bicarb is around 7.5grams of sodium or 3 teaspoons/1 tablespoon of table salt) so it isn't a bodybuilders best friend - your best to load on it and only use it pre-event. Sodium bicarb and milk and/or calcium caseinate isn't a good combination due to the effect alkali substances have with calcium, eg milk-alkali syndrome and the production of kidney stones, gout etc.
If you have acidic blood ie you've tested the pH of your blood/urine, and need to follow an alkaline diet, then you'd be better off to eat alkaline foods (alkali fruits and vegetables grown in alkaline soils), rather than sodium bicarb/baking soda as a high sodium diet has it's own negative effects.

Preworkouts have no discernible impact on long term performance. Protein, creatine, and fish oil are properly the only tried and true supplements. Eat a banana/apple and 25 g whey protein about one hour prior to working out. They're fast digesting and won't mess up your stomach.

Here's a piece explains milk, whey, casein protein timing etc:

Whey protein has been the prodigy of the supplement industry, by far leading sales since bodybuilding supplements came in vogue up until now. Research also clearly demonstrates whey is by far the superior choice for pre and post-workout nutrition.

However still very few people seem to realize that micellar casein is probably by far the superior protein source for literally any other time of day other than around your workout.
Previous research already demonstrated it, and new research continues to validate this (14). Not only is the area under the curve (an indication of absolute volume) for casein greater than for whey, the slower rate of appearance also leads to reduced oxidation and therefor greater peripheral uptake of amino acids. Phillips et al. (13) postulated that the higher quality of whey may have been related to a greater uptake by peripheral tissue rather than the splanchnic bed, but the Soop et al. study (14) clearly demonstrates an equal distribution of amino acids from both whey and casein across splanchnic and peripheral tissues, but that total uptake in both was greater for casein than for whey.

Especially when you can’t eat frequently enough to stimulate protein synthesis around the clock, casein is a far better option to cover your basis as well. Using whey would almost necessitate feeding every 2.5h to reap the benefits it offers over casein.
Of course adding a little whey to your casein to get a higher postprandial boost in MPS, and then have mostly casein to sustain it and prevent protein loss is an even better idea. Which is roughly the composition of milk protein. Add to that that a liter of semi-skimmed milk is a complete meal at around 480 kcal with 48g of low glycemic sugar, 34g of protein and 15g of fat and sets you back less than half a buck. The fact that it is liquid and doesn’t need to be prepared makes it easy to use any time and be consumed on top of your normal meals to meet caloric and protein demands. During carb restriction you can always switch to supplemental casein in water or extra casein in a bit of milk.

Protein timing
The two last mentioned studies by Tipton et al. already shed some light on the fact that there isn’t much difference in taking your whey protein shake just prior or just after your workout. Before seems slightly more favorable since you would have elevated blood amino acid levels as the effect of exercise kicks in, but in truth I’m not so sure this should be an either/or type of debate.

There are a few things we know to be true. Exercise enhances the need for calories and consuming the bulk of calories around the time of the workout ensures they are maximally used in the anabolic window, with reduced chance of storing them as fat. The use of fast protein sources necessitates more frequent feeding. And lastly, we know that exercising in a fasted state leads to elevated AMPK (17), while training in a fed state does not (18).

AMPK being one of the primary negative regulators of mTORC1, the key signal integrator in Muscle protein synthesis. Consider the time that elapses between a pre- and post-workout protein shake and you’ll soon begin to see the sense in using both. More than just protein it is important to make sure you are training in a fed state however, this can also be achieved by eating a full mixed nutrient meal 1 to 1.5h prior to your workout, then consuming your protein shake immediately after your workout and having another full meal 1.5 to 2h after that.

13. Staples AW, Burd NA, West DW, Currie KD, Atherton PJ, Moore DR, Rennie MJ, Macdonald MJ, Baker SK, Phillips SM.Carbohydrate does not augment exercise-induced protein accretion versus protein alone.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Jul;43(7):1154-61.

14. Yang J, Dolinger M, Ritaccio G, Mazurkiewicz J, Conti D, Zhu X, Huang Y.Leucine stimulates insulin secretion via down-regulation of surface expression of adrenergic α2A receptor through the mTOR (mammalian target of rapamycin) pathway: implication in new-onset diabetes in renal transplantation.J Biol Chem. 2012 Jul 13;287(29):24795-806.

15. Nicklin P, Bergman P, Zhang B, Triantafellow E, Wang H, Nyfeler B, Yang H, Hild M, Kung C, Wilson C, Myer VE, MacKeigan JP, Porter JA, Wang YK, Cantley LC, Finan PM, Murphy LO.Bidirectional transport of amino acids regulates mTOR and autophagy.Cell. 2009 Feb 6;136(3):521-34.

16. Mittendorfer B, Volpi E, Wolfe RR.Whole body and skeletal muscle glutamine metabolism in healthy subjects.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Feb;280(2):E323-33.

17. Arsham AM, Neufeld TP.Thinking globally and acting locally with TOR.Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2006 Dec;18(6):589-97.

18. Jacinto E, Lorberg A.TOR regulation of AGC kinases in yeast and mammals.Biochem J. 2008 Feb 15;410(1):19-37.

19. Gong R, Li L, Liu Y, Wang P, Yang H, Wang L, Cheng J, Guan KL, Xu Y.Crystal structure of the Gtr1p-Gtr2p complex reveals new insights into the amino acid-induced TORC1 activation.Genes Dev. 2011 Aug 15;25(16):1668-73.

^^ Nice post GF. Gave me a topic to do some deep research in.

Even if its more theoretical science on the actions of how effective sodium bicarbonate could be at reducing fatigue, that post just sounded fascinating.

Good posts GF. The interesting thing about bicarb is that it appears to be less beneficial for bodybuilders as the acidity (it's proposed) somehow mediates aspects of muscle protein synthesis in recovery. I'll see if I can fish out the papers.

I like the thing about whey. I use dietary fat to buffer the fast absorption of whey to make it slow acting in a sense. Also keeps me full and less bloated too.

fructose from those fruits take a while to kick in whereas glucose gets utilized sooner. My glucose intake shouldn't make me diabetic would it? A tablespoon here and there should be fine right? One person on another board mentioned 2 tablespoons for insulin to kick in. Not sure what his exact words were but he was saying my teaspoon intake of glucose is too low. Again, glucose post and pre workout always gave me great pumps and no soreness afterwards. Maybe my body is used to the workouts but I feel glucose was responsible here due to it kicking in sooner when the body and brain needs it the most. Glucose is the brain's main source of energy. Let's not forget.

Modafinil seems like a great stimulant but I'm on an amphetamine called Vyvanse. Great pumps, can't complain.

Preworkouts have no discernible impact on long term performance. Protein, creatine, and fish oil are properly the only tried and true supplements. Eat a banana/apple and 25 g whey protein about one hour prior to working out. They're fast digesting and won't mess up your stomach. In terms of psychoactive drugs, I would recommend "modafinil." I can work a 10-12 hour day and still have mental capacity to feel like working out on a consistent basis. I wouldn't recommend any other stimulants because they increase heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, and body temperature. For example, I can start breathing out of control and get a headache from caffeine (although I do exert myself hard), whereas modafinil is subtle; you just don't feel tired.

Last edited: