• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Poppy Seed Tea Withdrawal Is Hell

I'm sorry to hear that, my thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

Your taper sounds really good, whatever works for you is what's best.

Keep up the great work.

Take care IAG.

Hugs,
Ash.

Thanks Ash--The meeting was...meeting-like. The weak 6 oz dose from yesterday morning never really did much, so I wasn't feeling great but I made it through.

However, I think I have got the dosing strength under control now by combining many packages of seeds into one big container. The dose at 9:00pm last night took care of the WD and I was able to mostly sleep through the night and woke up around 6:00am feeling pretty good aside from a mild headache and some congestion. Did another 6 oz at 11:00am and not really feeling anything one way or another (not high or WD symptoms) so I think I am back on track with the taper plan. As long as I can maintain this equilibrium I think I'll keep tapering down.

As ZB mentioned above, part of it may be just a placebo effect but I'm not sure that really matters if my goal is to keep WD in check so I can function until I jump off. If my brain wants to convince itself that the weak doses are working, then dream on I guess.

My sister is not doing well and I don't want to think about that. Thank you for asking, though.

I feeling especially philosophical today for some reason—and bored. Not a lot going on at work that needs my attention so I came home and actually went out an built a snowman. My neighbors probably think I have finally lost my mind but what they hell—I like playing in the snow and it is actually good exercise.

Anyway, since returning to my addiction and Bluelight, I have been doing a lot of soul searching trying to figure out why I decided to start using the poppy seed tea again. Yes, it does make me feel good, it relaxes me, it helps me sleep. But, I don’t believe that I NEED it to live my life. I have read many stories on BL where people have very difficult lives, dealing with horrible situations, or are in constant intense pain. I can clearly understand why they need an escape from reality and why they could or would become hooked. I do not have an excuse—my life is normal and pretty good. I don’t say that to brag, but to point out just how shallow I must be to turn to drugs. The other thing that I have become acutely aware of is that society has this mental picture of what an addict should be. Most people, will conjure up an image of some homeless guy strung out next to a dumpster with a needle sticking out of his arm. Number one, most homeless people are not addicts, and number two, most addicts are not homeless. In fact, many of us are normal people who have spouses, kids, jobs, bills to pay. But, the big question for me is the “why?” of it—is it because once hooked, we just accept the whole drug-use routine as a part of our life—like it’s just another thing to maintain, like taking out the trash every Wednesday? I wish I knew.

But again, that still does not explain the “why?” of it. I cannot accept that I am bored, or stressed, or even that I just like the feeling it gives me—that seems like a cop out. There has to be an underlying reason why I would waste countless dollars and hours of my life being high. Quite frankly, I can never say that I woke up the next day after getting blitzed and said “Wow, I am really proud of myself for getting that high—I’m glad I did it”. It is usually the opposite feeling—I feel like a piece of crap for all the reasons we all know. And, I often find myself wondering about the things I did experience in my opium haze. I wonder if the memories I have are real? Is what I think I experienced really what I did? Did I miss something important like a precious memory or interesting situation? Was I really as funny, and charming, and intelligent as I thought I was in conversation? No one ever questioned my behavior so maybe they didn’t know. Or, maybe they did. What do you say to a 50+ father of three at a cook out who you think is blurred on opium? “I can’t help but notice you are almost comatose—are you drinking poppy seed tea?” Not the sort of thing that comes up in casual conversation. But it did change me, that I know. I went from an active, healthy, always on the go, want to try new things kind of personality to a ‘just let me lay here on the couch’ slug.

I have tried really hard to psychoanalyze myself to try and figured out when I went off the rails or what caused it. What was I trying to replace in my life that was missing? I think a lot of it was getting older and watching the kids need me less and less. Marriage/Relationships go through phases. For those of you out there that are in a relationship with kids, you know exactly what I am talking about. First there is the passion and discovery, then the trying to build a life together, then come kids. Kids change you—they make you into real adults and responsible people. Before kids I was a rock climbing, scuba diving, hang gliding, bungee jumping, back packing machine. I can’t say I was an extreme adrenaline junkie, but I loved to push the envelope a little and was always looking for something new to try or see. But when our first child was born, that mostly stopped. I didn’t want my wife to have to explain to her fatherless child that his dad was killed trying tackle El Capitan. But I was OK with that. I love my kids—they gave me perspective that I had forgot I had. The things they say and do. The questions they ask. Fatherhood was great. When our second and third kid arrived, I dove right in headfirst. I decided that the best thing I could do for my kids was to show them that the world was much bigger than the things they see in text books or on TV and so I bought a mobile home and we started to travel. I was fortunate, my company had turned the corner and money was OK so we would take 2 and 3 week excursions from one end of the country to the other, from the Canada down into Mexico. I drove the Behemoth over a 100,000 miles. We saw everything and had a blast. My kids still talk about the things we saw and did.

But then it happened. It started with our oldest first about when he turned about 16 and discovered girls and cars: traveling with the fam was just not cool. I got it. I might be old, but not one fiber of my being doesn’t remember being 16 again. And so we traveled less. And then when our other two decided they just didn’t feel like RV’ing anymore, the Behemoth just sat. Eventually I sold it and as I watched the new owner drive away, I couldn’t help but feel he was taking a little piece of me with it.

And the kids kept getting older as they do. They grew up, they got cars, they hung out with friends instead of us, they graduated, they went to college, they moved out. Our big fancy dream house that we had always wanted seemed a lot bigger, a lot less fancy, and very quiet all of a sudden. This seemed to hit me harder than my wife for some reason. My wife is very outgoing, has lots of friends, and lots of diversions. I think a part of her was actually glad the kids did not need constant attention anymore. In fact, I am sure of it. While we really tried to balance parenting, I know she did the heavy lifting. I on the other hand I was a middle aged guy with a bad back and a lot of spare time.

My back issues started when I was 35 and trying to start an old pushmower. I slipped a disc and was given Darvocet for the pain. I remember they were hot pink in color. Not only did I like that they made the pain go away, I liked the way they made me feel. In fact, I really, really liked it. It reminded me of the adrenaline euphoria I used to get jumping off a 300ft bridge with a rubber band tied to my feet. The thing was, my back really was a mess. Between high school sports and pushing the envelope I had stenosis from my neck to my lumbar. So, during the 2 neck surgeries, 3 back surgeries, countless steroid shots, 2 rhizotomies, and enough physical therapy for 6 people I was prescribed a butt-load of painkiller. And, since I liked the way it made me feel, I took a butt-load of painkiller, even when I should not. I think for many years I had more of a habit than an addiction if there is a difference. The reason I say this is I was able to control when and how much I took. Usually I would wait until Friday nights and pop a few to reward myself. I did this for years. I would try to take Tylenol for actual back pain (unless it was really bad) so I could hoard the good pills for Friday night. But the beast cannot be controlled for long. As the kids got older and I got more bored, I eventually was taking pills every day. There were periods of sobriety, usually when the pills would run out between medical procedures, but I always came back to them. And, at one point, when researching legal ways to get high, I discovered Poppy Seed Tea and was introduced to a huge Monkey that made itself at home on my back.

And here we are.

So in conclusion, I think my problem is that I am looking for replacement in my life—specifically something to replace the excitement of youth. Honestly, I hate getting old—I hate that I can’t do back-flips anymore, that things hurt in the morning, that I have to eat “right”, that I can’t pick up heavy things. Inside I still feel 25, but the mirror tells a different story. I have tried to fill my time with diversions, but they are old-person diversions: woodworking, reading, writing, light exercise. I think the opium, for just a few hours, makes me feel young—the stress of adult life fades, the pain of old age is reduced, the euphoria of an adrenaline rush is felt. It reminds me of why I used to love life so much and see every day as an adventure and not a daily grind. That is the “why?” of my addiction and I really don’t know how to answer the question.

I know I am going to get clean again—not a doubt in my mind at this point. And, I can tell myself it is for good this time, that I’ll never touch it again. But when I tell myself that, I don’t think I sound very convincing and that scares the hell out of me.

Wonderful read, very honest. Our stories are similar. Don’t you think, without the haze, you can find that excitement again? It’s there, somewhere. Older, but not feeble. Taking the easy way isn’t rewarding is it? You like a challenge.........go find it. Sounds easy, but I know it’s not. Think having peace inside, not wanting, is key.

Last edited:
I feeling especially philosophical today for some reason—and bored. Not a lot going on at work that needs my attention so I came home and actually went out an built a snowman. My neighbors probably think I have finally lost my mind but what they hell—I like playing in the snow and it is actually good exercise.

Anyway, since returning to my addiction and Bluelight, I have been doing a lot of soul searching trying to figure out why I decided to start using the poppy seed tea again. Yes, it does make me feel good, it relaxes me, it helps me sleep. But, I don’t believe that I NEED it to live my life. I have read many stories on BL where people have very difficult lives, dealing with horrible situations, or are in constant intense pain. I can clearly understand why they need an escape from reality and why they could or would become hooked. I do not have an excuse—my life is normal and pretty good. I don’t say that to brag, but to point out just how shallow I must be to turn to drugs. The other thing that I have become acutely aware of is that society has this mental picture of what an addict should be. Most people, will conjure up an image of some homeless guy strung out next to a dumpster with a needle sticking out of his arm. Number one, most homeless people are not addicts, and number two, most addicts are not homeless. In fact, many of us are normal people who have spouses, kids, jobs, bills to pay. But, the big question for me is the “why?” of it—is it because once hooked, we just accept the whole drug-use routine as a part of our life—like it’s just another thing to maintain, like taking out the trash every Wednesday? I wish I knew.

But again, that still does not explain the “why?” of it. I cannot accept that I am bored, or stressed, or even that I just like the feeling it gives me—that seems like a cop out. There has to be an underlying reason why I would waste countless dollars and hours of my life being high. Quite frankly, I can never say that I woke up the next day after getting blitzed and said “Wow, I am really proud of myself for getting that high—I’m glad I did it”. It is usually the opposite feeling—I feel like a piece of crap for all the reasons we all know. And, I often find myself wondering about the things I did experience in my opium haze. I wonder if the memories I have are real? Is what I think I experienced really what I did? Did I miss something important like a precious memory or interesting situation? Was I really as funny, and charming, and intelligent as I thought I was in conversation? No one ever questioned my behavior so maybe they didn’t know. Or, maybe they did. What do you say to a 50+ father of three at a cook out who you think is blurred on opium? “I can’t help but notice you are almost comatose—are you drinking poppy seed tea?” Not the sort of thing that comes up in casual conversation. But it did change me, that I know. I went from an active, healthy, always on the go, want to try new things kind of personality to a ‘just let me lay here on the couch’ slug.

I have tried really hard to psychoanalyze myself to try and figured out when I went off the rails or what caused it. What was I trying to replace in my life that was missing? I think a lot of it was getting older and watching the kids need me less and less. Marriage/Relationships go through phases. For those of you out there that are in a relationship with kids, you know exactly what I am talking about. First there is the passion and discovery, then the trying to build a life together, then come kids. Kids change you—they make you into real adults and responsible people. Before kids I was a rock climbing, scuba diving, hang gliding, bungee jumping, back packing machine. I can’t say I was an extreme adrenaline junkie, but I loved to push the envelope a little and was always looking for something new to try or see. But when our first child was born, that mostly stopped. I didn’t want my wife to have to explain to her fatherless child that his dad was killed trying tackle El Capitan. But I was OK with that. I love my kids—they gave me perspective that I had forgot I had. The things they say and do. The questions they ask. Fatherhood was great. When our second and third kid arrived, I dove right in headfirst. I decided that the best thing I could do for my kids was to show them that the world was much bigger than the things they see in text books or on TV and so I bought a mobile home and we started to travel. I was fortunate, my company had turned the corner and money was OK so we would take 2 and 3 week excursions from one end of the country to the other, from the Canada down into Mexico. I drove the Behemoth over a 100,000 miles. We saw everything and had a blast. My kids still talk about the things we saw and did.

But then it happened. It started with our oldest first about when he turned about 16 and discovered girls and cars: traveling with the fam was just not cool. I got it. I might be old, but not one fiber of my being doesn’t remember being 16 again. And so we traveled less. And then when our other two decided they just didn’t feel like RV’ing anymore, the Behemoth just sat. Eventually I sold it and as I watched the new owner drive away, I couldn’t help but feel he was taking a little piece of me with it.

And the kids kept getting older as they do. They grew up, they got cars, they hung out with friends instead of us, they graduated, they went to college, they moved out. Our big fancy dream house that we had always wanted seemed a lot bigger, a lot less fancy, and very quiet all of a sudden. This seemed to hit me harder than my wife for some reason. My wife is very outgoing, has lots of friends, and lots of diversions. I think a part of her was actually glad the kids did not need constant attention anymore. In fact, I am sure of it. While we really tried to balance parenting, I know she did the heavy lifting. I on the other hand I was a middle aged guy with a bad back and a lot of spare time.

My back issues started when I was 35 and trying to start an old pushmower. I slipped a disc and was given Darvocet for the pain. I remember they were hot pink in color. Not only did I like that they made the pain go away, I liked the way they made me feel. In fact, I really, really liked it. It reminded me of the adrenaline euphoria I used to get jumping off a 300ft bridge with a rubber band tied to my feet. The thing was, my back really was a mess. Between high school sports and pushing the envelope I had stenosis from my neck to my lumbar. So, during the 2 neck surgeries, 3 back surgeries, countless steroid shots, 2 rhizotomies, and enough physical therapy for 6 people I was prescribed a butt-load of painkiller. And, since I liked the way it made me feel, I took a butt-load of painkiller, even when I should not. I think for many years I had more of a habit than an addiction if there is a difference. The reason I say this is I was able to control when and how much I took. Usually I would wait until Friday nights and pop a few to reward myself. I did this for years. I would try to take Tylenol for actual back pain (unless it was really bad) so I could hoard the good pills for Friday night. But the beast cannot be controlled for long. As the kids got older and I got more bored, I eventually was taking pills every day. There were periods of sobriety, usually when the pills would run out between medical procedures, but I always came back to them. And, at one point, when researching legal ways to get high, I discovered Poppy Seed Tea and was introduced to a huge Monkey that made itself at home on my back.

And here we are.

So in conclusion, I think my problem is that I am looking for replacement in my life—specifically something to replace the excitement of youth. Honestly, I hate getting old—I hate that I can’t do back-flips anymore, that things hurt in the morning, that I have to eat “right”, that I can’t pick up heavy things. Inside I still feel 25, but the mirror tells a different story. I have tried to fill my time with diversions, but they are old-person diversions: woodworking, reading, writing, light exercise. I think the opium, for just a few hours, makes me feel young—the stress of adult life fades, the pain of old age is reduced, the euphoria of an adrenaline rush is felt. It reminds me of why I used to love life so much and see every day as an adventure and not a daily grind. That is the “why?” of my addiction and I really don’t know how to answer the question.

I know I am going to get clean again—not a doubt in my mind at this point. And, I can tell myself it is for good this time, that I’ll never touch it again. But when I tell myself that, I don’t think I sound very convincing and that scares the hell out of me.

I really enjoyed reading that. Your a good writer. I'm not sold that addiction needs more cause then "it feels good to feel good" you know? Sometimes things aren't as deep or philosophical as we want them to be.

Wonderful read, very honest. Our stories are similar. Don?t you think, without the haze, you can find that excitement again? It?s there, somewhere. Older, but not feeble. Taking the easy way isn?t rewarding is it? You like a challenge.........go find it. Sounds easy, but I know it?s not. Think having peace inside, not wanting, is key.
Debbie: Thanks for the comments. You are probably right--I need to learn to grow old more gracefully I guess. I have a tendency to do things to an extreme--and have never been very good at "relaxing". The tea was always good for fixing that....Aside from my back issues, I am in good shape but just need to accept the fact that I am not 20 years old anymore. I do think I need a more challenging past-time. though. Woodworking is a good creative outlet but it's not much of an adrenaline rush (maybe I should try extreme woodworking). Always wanted to travel and see more of the world which I think I am going to start doing. My wife hates to travel though--scared to of flying and water--so I guess I'll start asking the kids if they want to go. I hope you recovery is going well. You returned to work today, right? How did that go?

@cj: Thanks. I do overthink things sometimes, so maybe it is just as simple as "it feels good". I am just having trouble wrapping my mind around how I got back to using when I was completely free of the stuff--especially after the misery of the cold turkey WD. It just does not make any sense to me at all. I really have no good excuse to use the PST other than what I wrote above...or, that it simply just feels too good to ignore. That thought scares the crap out of me.

Hey Gollum ....... use that energy to find something, hike the Appalachian trail or something. It’s a goal of mine��. I’m having a hard time getting to my own thread. Can get urs cause it’s kinda top post on SL.

Hey Gollum ....... use that energy to find something, hike the Appalachian trail or something. It?s a goal of mine��. I?m having a hard time getting to my own thread. Can get urs cause it?s kinda top post on SL.
Actually did about 100 miles of the AT carrying 40 lb packs on the leg that runs through the Blueridge Mtns along the Tennessee/N.Carolina border--it was beautiful and rugged. That was just after my first neck surgery--I decided a little arthritis wasn't going to stop me. And, I was right--the thing that stopped me was getting robbed at knife point by some hillbillies who looked like they just stepped out of Deliverance. Took everything we had including our boots. That was before everyone had a cell phone but luckily a group of Mormons came by and saved our butts. To this day, banjo music and Mormons scare me to death....

Great read mate opium addiction just kind of sneaks up on you.I think any opium makes us more lazy you just ok doing nothing.I was a 5 day a week gym addict weights cardio then boxing aswell.Still went to gym at first when started using brown but that soon turns to smoke don't own lay down on couch and veg out.You will get clean again and you will learn to control the brain that going to try to get you back on the poppy seeds.Sometimes I think why I get on drugs and it comes down that I just liked getting smashed from the first line of crank on 15th birthday to getting clean 27 years later I never lost the excitement when about to use.have to catch up on your thread see how taper going

@cj: Thanks. I do overthink things sometimes, so maybe it is just as simple as "it feels good". I am just having trouble wrapping my mind around how I got back to using when I was completely free of the stuff--especially after the misery of the cold turkey WD. It just does not make any sense to me at all. I really have no good excuse to use the PST other than what I wrote above...or, that it simply just feels too good to ignore. That thought scares the crap out of me.

Mate don't try to over think why you relapsed it happens we tell ourselves just this once I'm ok to have a reward for doing so well.I relapsed so many time and each time I would justify it in my mind why I'm going to use .I think we forget the wd no matter how bad they where the brain is a fucker.You doing ok today how you feeling

@Yubacity: Thanks for the thoughts and supportive words. Guess this is Day 11 of the taper program. I am still holding tight on the 6 oz doses twice a day--around 11:00 am and 8:00 pm and really have not had any major WD symptoms to speak of other than a slight headache and some congestion/watery eyes. No stomach/GI issues for the past 2 days. Also, my thinking/concentration seems especially clear which I find odd. I am not complaining by any means--but, last time during the CT at this point I could barely remember my kid's names. I think combining all of the seed packs and making tea batches from it helped average out the strength. Before, it was all over the place and it was causing the WD symptoms to either come on quick or hardly at all which was probably really messing with my brain chemistry as it tried to adjust to the lower amounts anyway. I plan to drop to 4 oz doses starting Saturday night which kind of worries me. But, I have been able to stay focused and have not cheated or drank more than I planned. That actually takes a lot of will power because I do have some very stressful things going on personally, and it would be nice to drift into an opium fog for awhile. More than a few times I have almost talked myself into the old "We can just restart again tomorrow". And that makes me think of the Jane's Addiction song "Jane Says" and that one line "I'm gonna kick tomorrow". We addicts are great procrastinators aren't we? Seems we can always think of a million reasons why we should use "one more time" even though we know we shouldn't.

Know the song well mate thing is tommorow never comes.I was talking to a old Punjabi man who we from pods with a taper.I asked him how you should go about it.His advice was take it slow get used to each new lower dose then drop.Really think you got so much strength just to taper the urge to just think fuck it I'll just have today without feeling shitty takes a lot to fight that urge.It is working for you and each lower dose and the wd that follows is that grip of opium getting loose.I have never met a addict that has not had a relapse what the fuck is it with this drug that make us this way.You done well mate raised your family been a good provider and husband that's one thing we got we never thank God hit rock bottom like so many addicts have we got a lot to be thankful for.While you going through this taper just keep the good in you mind if you concentrate on the negatives it makes it so much harder.For a addict I think the brain becomes a enemy for me once I started thinking that all this is a plan by brain to get opium it made fighting the thoughts easier not stopped me relapsing completely but has defiantly stopped some relapses aswell keep going mate you will do it.

Just keep thinking of the clarity of thought the first proper lol moment you going to have when clean.Life is so much better when clean.My eldest is 12 and it's only been this past year that I never been clean during her life.I have missed so much of my kids life.I had my prick of a father's mentality work hard and provide for family that's a man.But it just kept me using because I thought I was doing good for family I deserve this treat.But my kids growing up has been a blurr I'll never get that time back.Will not mess up now.I don't think I told this here but during one relapse I even thought divorce wife she deserves better she can have it all I just be a addict it be better that way for family.Thank God Ashley here snapped me out of that I feel so ashamed when I think back that's the grip of this drug

Does poppy seed tea gets into the brain same way as opioids do...since they are opioids themselves.

Gollum, I think you should take time with taper. It took me a year and a half to taper methadone to 9mg. Are you trying to taper quickly for a reason? Is it too tempting? I’m sure you have probably covered it in earlier post. I’m still a bit foggy. During my methadone taper, I’d stay on a dose for two weeks to a month. Let body stable. So this next cut, maybe hold for a bit?
Its a great thing you are doing. Keep it up. You can do it, you have determination!
WTF with A.T? Someone robbed you? That’s a first I’ve ever heard on trail. What sleaze balls. Now I’m reconsidering that walk, and BTW, they have better stuffs for weight. Lighter materials makes a pack much much lighter. Mormons? Lol. Don’t be scared of Mormons.

Congrats on day 12 IAG.

I'm proud of you for not hitting the reset button and saying fuck it.

Try to be kind and patient with yourself and take as much time as you need.

Here if you need anything,
your friend,
Ash.

I love you Yuba. Never feel ashamed, no one's struggles are more important than anyone else's. I'm so proud of you my dear friend.

Ashley.

Just keep thinking of the clarity of thought the first proper lol moment you going to have when clean.Life is so much better when clean.My eldest is 12 and it's only been this past year that I never been clean during her life.I have missed so much of my kids life.I had my prick of a father's mentality work hard and provide for family that's a man.But it just kept me using because I thought I was doing good for family I deserve this treat.But my kids growing up has been a blurr I'll never get that time back.Will not mess up now.I don't think I told this here but during one relapse I even thought divorce wife she deserves better she can have it all I just be a addict it be better that way for family.Thank God Ashley here snapped me out of that I feel so ashamed when I think back that's the grip of this drug

I hear you completely--After reading your post, I started thinking about all the times I was high for different events. I was high for my sister's wedding, both grandmother's funerals, my kid's graduations, my mom's retirement party, birthdays, holidays, anniversary's, etc. Hell, I even received an award for community service that I was wasted at--I gave a speech and don't recall a word of what I said. And, some details I have no memory of at all--I look through old photos and think "don't remember that" yet there's a picture of me so I know I was there. It's easy to get all caught up on the stupid shit I've done or important things I missed while fucked up, but unless Amazon starts selling Time Machines, there's nothing I can do about it. You're 100% right when you say I have to keep thinking about the clarity of being clean again. It's OK to look backward and learn from my mistakes, but otherwise I need to keep pushing forward. Sounds like you've found that focus as well--Great job.

Gollum, I think you should take time with taper. It took me a year and a half to taper methadone to 9mg. Are you trying to taper quickly for a reason? Is it too tempting? I?m sure you have probably covered it in earlier post. I?m still a bit foggy. During my methadone taper, I?d stay on a dose for two weeks to a month. Let body stable. So this next cut, maybe hold for a bit? Its a great thing you are doing. Keep it up. You can do it, you have determination!WTF with A.T? Someone robbed you? That?s a first I?ve ever heard on trail. What sleaze balls. Now I?m reconsidering that walk, and BTW, they have better stuffs for weight. Lighter materials makes a pack much much lighter. Mormons? Lol. Don?t be scared of Mormons.
Yeah, mostly I just want to be done with it (again...). If I can keep going, I should be ready to jump off in about 2 weeks. And, the thing is, the lower doses really seem to be keeping the WD symptoms down fairly effectively. As long as I don't feel like walking death, I may as well see just how low of a dose I can get away with each time I drop the strength. If I go down too much, I can always increase it a bit. I felt pretty good most of today aside from a headache and some achy pain in my knees and lower back. No stomach problems or anxiety to speak of. I am still eating well and maintaining my daily workout schedule. But, I am having some issues getting to sleep tonight (which is why I am typing at 2:00 am). I have to interview someone at 8:00 am so that will be an interesting conversation--I'm sure the guy will be really impressed.I think the AT is probably a lot safer now than it was when I hiked it, but I have heard stories of people getting robbed. Guess criminals are all over--that was the only time I can ever remember having any trouble anywhere really and I have been in some very interesting locations. The best part of that story was hanging out with the Mormons, They kept trying to convert us. That was the first time I had heard the whole story of Joseph Smith and how the Mormon faith got going. I would never knock anyone's belief system--but I can remember at the time thinking "Seriously?" Oh well, probably no different than most religion origin stories.How are you doing today? Better, I hope.