• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ [POLL] Your Psychedelic Use: Spiritual or Recreational?

How would you characterize your use of psychedelics?

• Strictly recreational

Votes: 26 5.9%
  • Recreational, but open to spiritual use

Votes: 196 44.6%
  • Spiritual, but open to having fun

Votes: 206 46.9%
  • Strictly spiritual

Votes: 11 2.5%

• Total voters
I would be right in the middle I think. It really like to do both, and often have a specific goal going into the trip. I think it's good to switch it up. Sometimes a trip only wants to go one way, and it's folly to fight it...

I always come out of my trips laughing at the pureawesomeness of what has just occurred.

I go into a trip looking to have a good time, though sometimes that includes enlightening thought

B9 said:
Oddly enough I've learnt to merely value the headspace - no matter what that be - expectations from psychedelics I try to avoid - IME one rarely finds what one overtly seeks. :\

That's probably just me though. :)

Each to their own. :)

but you can EXPECT to experience something similar to what you have experienced in the past, weather it happens or not is not controllable, but IME psychedelics give me spiritual experiences most of the time, so weather I'm LOOKING for it or not i have learned to expect it. I know what your saying tho... the headspace is great.

I picked one because I only take them with others, While I realize they are a powerful tool for learning, but I only take a recreational dose, I'm not ready for a full blown on trip yet, maybe one day maybe not. We will see.

I chose (3).

When I began tripping, it was strictly for spiritual purposes. I suppose my first trip was to see what would happen which could be classified as recreational, but I knew I might be in for something special (and I was). After that, I tripped very infrequently for a few years, and each experience was difficult, some no fun at all, and all instructional. A lot of my personal development was helped along by psychedelics. Perhaps I would have reached the same places without them, but it so happened that it was with them.

Then over the past two years I slowly increased my usage as I grew more comfortable with them. Somewhere in there my use became primarily recreational, but I was still more than open to more significant experiences. I began to abuse them for a while, and during that time there was very little but hedonistic recreation.

Now I've been on a break from them since the new year, and whenever I dive back in it will be for infrequent trips, for spiritual/exploratory purposes but with any recreation welcomed gladly. :)

good question

That is a tough one, I voted #2 but I may just go with #1. Depends on where I am and who I'm with..some people I know just wanna have the psychedelic experience while some of my friends want the spiritual side, I usually just let my lsd or mushrooms take me where they want to go

wow, xorkoth, congrats on having been tripless since the new year. from posts of yours ive read, you were tripping multiple times a week for months (years?) on end. that's a significant psychological addiction to kick. kudos.

i'd have to say mostly recreational (#2). I went into psychs with spiritual aspirations, but just came out laughing, dancing, singing beautifully, finding "god" in the moment rather than in the thought. as people have said before, recreational and spiritual purposes seem to greatly overlap.

I chose 3.

Whenever I trip, I usually get more out of the experience than just the fact that I had a good time. There is a connectedness to everything and everyone around me, that is remarkably spiritual.

I voted for #3 as I usually go into a trip wanting something spiritual/therapeutic, but sometimes I just want to have fun. This is especially true at concerts and festivals.

I voted #3 as well. If I'm alone it tends to be more serious, but add 2 or more people and it gets recreational for sure. The coming down side is always my favorite with people, when the conversations go all over the place. Then theres always eating together afterward. (I love sharing food together anyway-it's one of my favorite social events)

I voted for 3 but as many others have said before me I'm kinda in the middle of 2 and 3 to be honest. I definitely respect psychedelics and feel that they are very powerful spiritual tools, but there have been times that I have used them with recreation being the main intent.

im not really sure where i fall here. i voted for #2, because i use psychedelics mostly for pure pleasure - to feel the power of the insane strength of love and true happiness fill me, or to have the most fun i could ever have doing the things that i would be doing otherwise (walking, playing music, games, hiking, etc). I've never used with a particular *personal* goal in mind, even in a total of about 75 trips. Well, usually my goal is to just enjoy life more. Often my goal is to just get that great music euphoria.

but somehow i always come out of the experience in a better frame of mind than i went in.

i think psychedelic use is set into too much of a structured context.

for me, their strength comes with their ability to break the mold and feel free and uninhibited. the spirit of psychedelics is about breaking free and giving me the ability, in the words of the venerable han solo, to "fly casual".

I voted for #3 and then I read Some kinda Love's post and I'd be in the 4th category but when I used to use psychedelics I would take it all very seriously and spiritual.

I tried taking them for fun like friends of mine can/have done; but I can't do it like that for the most part.

Doing everyday things like hiking, listening to music, running around, going into public/into nature, watching movies, and hanging out with friends was all fun while on psychedelic drugs but overall most of my trips would be spiritual and sometimes smoking pot would be like this.

With the exception of smoking pot a few times at concerts (I consider pot to be a psychedelic drug, at least it was for me), I mostly never took/tripped on psychedelics at a concert/club/music event and I'd mostly take them in higher doses with a very select group of friends and it would be only a few people, and I would take them and smoke pot to learn more about myself.

I'm not sure if psychedelics actually "teach" you anything spiritual or give you the right answers about a religion/spirituality/yourself/human existence anyway.

I've had myself and other friends learn stuff on them that seemed totally true and a mind blowing revelation/psychedelic epiphany while we were on them but it was all later turned out and proved to be totally false and untrue.

This is part of the reason why I don't use them anymore.

I don't use any illegal drugs now and I just drink caffeine and alcohol socially from time to time.

Last edited:
In all of these threads I feel like my psychedelic use is very different from anyone else's, and I'd be interested to see if I ever find someone who trips for the same reasons I do. The reason I trip has nothing to do with spirituality: I'm firmly atheistic and highly individualistic. And I have other drugs for hedonistic purposes, although even my wildest night of alcohol binging or pill popping is still in a way an effort to connect with the world. I have fun when I'm tripping in the sense that the moment I walk out the door after coming up and see those glorious colours and patterns I feel like I'm in the best possible place I could be and I've found what I've been looking for. But it's not that sense of fun I'm looking for. I want to feel myself becoming insane, I want to experience something that I can't get any other way, something far away from my stable highly functional self. And I want to see images, not necessarily visual, but snapshots of the world, that move me, that are all wrapped up in complicated emotion, that inspire me. I love the human mind, especially how strange and complex its disorders and its capacity to imagine, and I feel like psychedelics get me closer to that.

It's a combination of artistic inspiration, mental exploration, and a strong urge to self-medicate my lack of extreme emotion. I've always envied the craziest of artists who live right on the edge and are able to make something beautiful out of it, as I never was close to the edge before I found drugs. But now I feel that I am, that I really have things inside my head that no one else does, and I've felt the moments of rapture and despair that being middle class, highly intelligent, and highly capable couldn't offer. I had a luxury problem, and I needed to kick it.

Every drug except marijuana has helped me in some way toward this goal, but I think none more than psychedelics, and I'll keep doing them as long as they keep helping.

Some trip start out recreational but end up spiritual, this is usually with people. when I trip alone it is always spiritual but I find things so beautiful, everything feels so right and I feel so happy that all of it is recreation. Life is recreation for me.

I voted 2 because all my rec trips are with friends and the only reason I solo trip is to gain a headspace unreachable while sober, to see and think things beyond my normal brainpower and ability. I dont understand how a trip could be purely recreational, all my friends who trip on acid know nothing about acid culture and theyve figured out on their own that acid is a spiritual tool, not necessarily used to fix something, just to change it.