Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i don't care

• i don't vote (non-australian citizen)

• Total voters
And now onto the US federal election...

I found this the other day...

It's a rather amusing demonstration of the problems with the new electronic vote lodging/counting machines in Florida

Voting Machine

hehe :)

drug addicted psycho said:
Im not saying the shouldn't be allowed here its just wouldnt you be pissed off if youd aplied for asylum over in sum shity country and your aplication wasn't procesed until we procesed those of people who broke the law to enter the country.

There is a separate quota for people applying through official channels and those seeking asylum onshore. The amount of onshore cases does not impact the offshore applicants.

Also, further to what Macksta posted, many of those who who come on boats have to hand whatever documentation they have brought over to the smugglers who destroy it.

I recommend you read a book called Tampering With Asylum by Frank Brennan. It will give you a whole lot of insight into the asylum seeker situation in Australia and how it all works.

katmeow said:
recommend you read a book called Tampering With Asylum by Frank Brennan. It will give you a whole lot of insight into the asylum seeker situation in Australia and how it all works.

Nice work katmeow, would be interested in reading what he has to say in regards to our obligations and treatment of asylum seekers, though i wonder if you should have said "how the asylum seeker situation in Australia doesn't work.":\

/\/\/\

I was actually going to put in 'or doesn't' at the end of the line.

It's a good read - very easy to take in. He also discusses the programs running in the US & various countries in Europe.

All patriotic australians are encouraged to sing the new words to the australian national anthem, advance australia fair....

[i can't take credit for this, it was sent to me in an email]

Sing it loud and proud Anna!, Backo and Butros ;)
Advance Australia Fair

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we have tasted greed;
Our interest rates mean more to us,
Than mere humanity;
Our land abounds with credit cards
John Howard took us there;
Don't stop to count as your debts mount,
Advance Australia fair!
"Advance Australia fair!"

While refugees from terror sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
To Iraq with Little John we went,
To start a bloody war.
The sick, the old have all been sold,
Our children's future care;
They're all worth nowt, so rise and shout,
Advance Australia fair!

Haha classic. Done and emailed to every liberal voter I know.

Oh and here's some lyrics from the original Advance Australia Fair which I think were completely overlooked this election:

"For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;"

Last edited:
nickthecheese said:
All patriotic australians are encouraged to sing the new words to the australian national anthem, advance australia fair....

[i can't take credit for this, it was sent to me in an email]

Sing it loud and proud Anna!, Backo and Butros ;)
Advance Australia Fair

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we have tasted greed;
Our interest rates mean more to us,
Than mere humanity;
Our land abounds with credit cards
John Howard took us there;
Advance Australia fair!

While refugees from terror sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
To Iraq with Little John we went,
To start a bloody war.
The sick, the old have all been sold,
Our children's future care;
Advance Australia fair!

It's scary cos it's true :(

Howard wins control of Senate

Prime Minister John Howard will have control of the upper house after the Nationals today were declared the winner of Queensland's last Senate seat.

Nationals candidate Barnaby Joyce was declared the winner of the sixth Senate seat when the Australian Electoral Commission completed the final computer count on the complex Senate preference distribution.

The win by Mr Joyce will give the coalition government 39 of the Senate's 76 members.

In the Queensland Senate race, the Liberals won three seats, Labor two and the Nationals one seat.

The result means from July next year, the Howard government will be able to pass controversial legislation previously blocked by the Senate.

It will be the first time a government has held such dominance since the Fraser government in the 1970s.

Veteran Queensland Nationals Senator Ron Boswell burst into tears when the result was declared and called Mr Howard to deliver the good news.

Senator Boswell said it was an "historic day for Australia".

The government will now be able to pass legislation for the full sale of Telstra and introduce more industrial relations reforms.
Advertisement Advertisement

Asked whether the Senate would be a rubber stamp now for the government, Senator Boswell told reporters in Brisbane: "The prime minister has said he is not going to abuse the power and he is going to be very careful what he puts through.

"He said he will be very happy to work with us ... this is the icing on his cake."

Australian Democrats leader Andrew Bartlett said Australians would have to watch the Senate closely now minor parties had lost the balance of power.

- AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/28/1098667878620.html

IT's a very sad day indeed. I'm walking around work with a black arm band on in mourning. :(

At least Family First does not hold the balance of power. I think that outcome would have been much worse for all concerned.

Dubya takes Australia offline
By staff writers and wires
October 28, 2004

GEORGE W. Bush doesn't trust the outside world to view his US election campaign website, and that includes close ally Australia.

George W. Bush
Can't be trusted ... Mr Bush has blocked his website from Australian viewers / AFP
The US President's re-election aides said today it had cut off access to its website from certain foreign countries "for security reasons", but declined to elaborate.

"The measure was taken for security reasons," campaign spokesman Scott Stanzel said.

The President's campaign office said earlier it had received telephone calls about access failures.

Mr Bush's campaign aides would not offer any more details, but last week the site went down for about five hours after a "denial of service" attack.

When the web address "www.georgewbush.com" was typed from NEWS.com.au's office, the following message appeared:

"You are not authorized to view this page. You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

"If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the website by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.georgebush.com home page."

Obviously, without access to the homepage, finding e-mail addresses or phone numbers is impossible, leaving millions of interested users around the world without access.

British website "www.netcraft.com", which analyses Internet traffic to detect fraud and count the most visited sites, said the Bush campaign website had been inaccessible from London, Sydney and Amsterdam since Monday, although Canada was apparently not affected.

The website was down and inaccessible for several hours on Tuesday in what campaign officials said could be the work of hackers.

NEWS.com.au with Agence France-Presse.

source : www.news.com.au

On that note: you can view www.georgewbush.com by copying & pasting this link:

http://proxy.guardster.com/cgi-bin/nph-proxy.cgi/010100A/687474702f7777772e67656f72676577627573682e636f6d2f

Why you would want to eludes me, but ya.

Edit: OMG vbulletin is stupid!!

Last edited:
CynaKill said:
At least Family First does not hold the balance of power. I think that outcome would have been much worse for all concerned.
I agree. Now the media won't pay them anywhere near as much attention as they would have, which would basically have been fuel for 2007. Lets hope this "family first" craze blows over by then, kinda like One Nation.

Raving Loony said:
IT's a very sad day indeed. I'm walking around work with a black arm band on in mourning. :(

I feel the same :( . But,I'm just in mourning :( :(.

Most likely,bye Telstra,bye more workers rights...........,etc,etc........... :( .

who would have thought Abbott was so concerned about abortion? ;)

Drop abortion politics: Latham
November 1, 2004

POLITICIANS should not dictate whether women can terminate late-term pregnancies, Opposition leader Mark Latham said today.

Health Minister Tony Abbott and his Parliamentary Secretary for Health, Christopher Pyne, have raised concerns about the number of abortions in Australia.

Mr Abbott has supported comments by Mr Pyne, who has called for a ban on late-term pregnancy terminations.

The newly-appointed federal parliamentary secretary for health has also said abortions should never be carried out after 21 weeks.

Mr Latham today said the choice about whether to terminate a pregnancy was up to the woman and her doctor.

He said politicians could not know every circumstance behind the decision.

"You've got to respect the right of women to make a choice and you've got to respect the fact that they get expert medical advice from their doctors," Mr Latham said in Sydney.

"It's not for politicians to get in the middle of doctors' consultation rooms in circumstances where people have got to make a judgement about their own future.

"I would much rather respect women and doctors and medical advice then go on the advice of a politician like Christopher Pyne."

Mr Latham said the government had not made a case for changing the rules that govern Medicare funding for terminations.

"Until they make the case then you wouldn't want to change the arrangements," he said.

AAP

source: news.com.au

Tony Abbott is one of those people who improves greatly with distance; for instance, it would be positively wonderful if he decided to forsake politics and go and live on the moon.

No love for Tony Abott-- he'd rather 13 year old girls go through a full-term pregnancy rather than have easy access to the morning after pill. WTF!

(Not that 13 year olds should be having sex by any means.)