• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Please post any negative side effects (or drawbacks) from kratom usage.

After years of using kratom at high doses, the primary negative effect I've experienced is addiction. I had super high vitamin a levels not long ago, but it cleared up after I cut down on my ingestion of baby carrots. My Dr. is fairly sure the carrots were the cause of the hypervitaminosis(sp?) since my vitamin a levels are back in line and I stuck with my 10g morning and 20g at night regimen. I might have had some mild nausea in my early days using it, but I can take upwards of 100g/day with no nausea, though I haven't taken a dose that high in months. Kratom seems almost innocuous as cannabis, almost.

That "redosing" has become a pian. Every time I get comfortable I gotta get up and dose.
I eat with kratom now to try to make the effects last longer but seem to be dosing more often now. Guess food may make it last longer but takes more to maintain.
Oh, well
Wouldnt mind trading it off for some other option but lost as to what could provide the reliefs it gives me.

holy fuck, po. lol was just trolling your content yesterday and wondering how you were.
glad to see ya!
best wishes and love always
ptah
ed

what dose did ya jump from?
HaHA!
Good to see you too my friend.
Very glad to see you.
Much love and best wishes to you also.
How are you doing?

I have no idea what dose of Kratom I went from. I messed up big time on medication one month awhile back and I had a bag of Kratom and used about a teaspoon full every 4 hours for 7 long days.
I used up the bag I had but found my state is a Kratom empire. 🤣
So, I got some more.
You can actually order a Kratom smoothie and they deliver it to your door!

I don’t think it was the Kratom that caused me the problems.
The sweating problem still went on, long after I stopped the Kratom.
I needed an increase in pain medication.
Finally got a small increase and it has helped the problem.
I am getting old and going through menopause at the moment and it sucks!
Part of the hot flash problem is due to that but it is manageable now that I had an increase in pain medication.
I haven’t been running out of pain medication early anymore.
So, that is good.
Things are calming down and I am getting a handle on the situation now.

Love ya!

I've done kratom daily for a few years and its embarrassing at this point. I have no issues with the substance besides the withdrawal being terrible beyond words. I would rather cold turkey a fent habit for months and months than deal with kratom withdrawal. Its ok if people find that absurd coming from some random guy on the internet.

My symptoms are crippling.. I mean crippling. The sweating in pools of sweat never lets up combined with restless *everything* from my feet and legs to my arms and neck. I cannot sit down, lay down, walk around, or do anything still for more than a couple of seconds. The depression is quite brutal and I've never been able to not get through a withdrawal before like kratom and its horrendous withdrawal (which seems peculiar and a personal issue).

Tapering down slowly over weeks is the only way I could ever see myself getting off this stuff. I don't even take large doses whatsoever but the steadiness of my use over the years is attributing to why my withdrawal is unbearable lol. It literally is unbearable to cold turkey and I fear it more than anything. I've cold turkey quit oxycodone a few times off of higher doses (120 milligrams daily), and even fent one time from a month use of daily routine of getting high off strictly fent.

I see no benefits from exaggerating my withdrawal to kratom and I wish it was easier to get off this stuff. Otherwise, the pricey cost of it is the biggest issue when it comes to chronic use. Negative aspects of kratom use seem nonexistent to me so far except maybe a slight decline in energy than before I cannot..... stand the withdrawal. I absolutely find kratom withdrawal to be worse than any opioid.

I am getting old
Some aspects of this surely is unnecessary. No need to fall apart and whatnot. Did someone say zomie? I think I am safe there as the taste of brains is still offensive to me. ;)
Things are calming down
Depending on when ya started menapause - from what I have experienced (by proxy) - this may be just the start... IDK. I hope not. I guess they make better meds for this than what they had a couple fecades ago. Not an expert on this so maybe I can like sidestep and do a little hand jive while scuttling stage left. :awkward:
A kratom smoothie.... Delivered. This sounds promising depending on dose, price and taste. Ha! Very distinctive taste this kratom. Havent found anything to mask it so just gein and bear it. Becomes a "good" taste after being conditioned. lol
I live you to, PO. So glad to see a couple of old timers (for me i know its all relative) revisit cause its akin to an alumn (gals, guys and inbetweens included).
OK... I wont laud ya with nicities. Just glad to hear from ya and you posting the day after I trolled some of yer old posts was really eerie... but not surprised as this type of thing goes on all the time.
Always my best,
:hear4t:
Ed: Sorry just saw this is from about a week ago. I have notifications on with this thread but seems never get them. Gonna fiddle around with settings and see if something works.
I would rather cold turkey a fent habit for months and months than deal with kratom withdrawal
Wow. I know Xork has severe wd from kratom. From what he has expressed here. No reason not to believe him or that he would be the only one to experience this. What a bitch. I would imagine that the higher the dose the worse wd would become upon sudden cessation. I cannot get above 4g as it will make me sickish and uncomfortable... the opposite of what I take it for. So 2 to 2 1/2g is where I stay. I get more from the lower dose.
Crazy how many times I have typed how crazy it is that we experience things differenly. Just goes to show how varied we are but still alike.
Lots of great info (imo) posted here. Ya know I felt like I was a "kratom warrior" who would argue that there were no downsides to kratom. Justification can really fuck us sometimes it seems. Really awesome to be able to get reality checks on the regular around here. BL has helped me form some seriously important perspectives on many aspects of life (not just drugs).
Thanks again. For being part of the solution (all of yas). :)
Love

Last edited:
Some aspects of this surely is unnecessary. No need to fall apart and whatnot. Did someone say zomie? I think I am safe there as the taste of brains is still offensive to me. ;)

Depending on when ya started menapause - from what I have experienced (by proxy) - this may be just the start... IDK. I hope not. I guess they make better meds for this than what they had a couple fecades ago. Not an expert on this so maybe I can like sidestep and do a little hand jive while scuttling stage left. :awkward:
A kratom smoothie.... Delivered. This sounds promising depending on dose, price and taste. Ha! Very distinctive taste this kratom. Havent found anything to mask it so just gein and bear it. Becomes a "good" taste after being conditioned. lol
I live you to, PO. So glad to see a couple of old timers (for me i know its all relative) revisit cause its akin to an alumn (gals, guys and inbetweens included).
OK... I wont laud ya with nicities. Just glad to hear from ya and you posting the day after I trolled some of yer old posts was really eerie... but not surprised as this type of thing goes on all the time.
Always my best,
:hear4t:

Wow. I know Xork has severe wd from kratom. From what he has expressed here. No reason not to believe him or that he would be the only one to experience this. What a bitch. I would imagine that the higher the dose the worse wd would become upon sudden cessation. I cannot get above 4g as it will make me sickish and uncomfortable... the opposite of what I take it for. So 2 to 2 1/2g is where I stay. I get more from the lower dose.
Crazy how many times I have typed how crazy it is that we experience things differenly. Just goes to show how varied we are but still alike.
Lots of great info (imo) posted here. Ya know I felt like I was a "kratom warrior" who would argue that there were no downsides to kratom. Justification can really fuck us sometimes it seems. Really awesome to be able to get reality checks on the regular around here. BL has helped me form some seriously important perspectives on many aspects of life (not just drugs).
Thanks again. For being part of the solution (all of yas). :)
Love

It may be my lack of experience with the withdrawal symptoms itself being particular in comparison to other related fun things like opiates as a whole. Of course sweating is a typical symptom of opiate withdrawal in general... but this is actually different. Its literally just sweating like insane amounts until I decide to just get rid of it and redose. I literally couldn't sleep one night bc every second I was tossing and turning in my bed rolling around. It was absolutely impossible to get a wink of sleep lol! I want to go through it eventually.. but as most will say tapering seems to be the way to do it. I can't see myself cold turkeying it for 4-5 days without caving in unless someone locks me into a broom closet. I don't really benefit from kratom much anymore despite the small doses I take daily anyway. It could be individual reactions are just way harsher than others but bottom line: People used to recommend this stuff constantly for opiate/opioid withdrawal and now we feel hesitant to state it as a miracle cure for anything more than short term symptom relief from oxy withdrawal or heroin for example.

Some of the better quality kratom out there (can't list vendors) really actually do feel incredibly euphoric. That may be worth the pull back into it but its hard to say. I don't recommend this stuff but its a better alternative than pills or heroin--no doubt about it! At least one can be functional on kratom as a general take. If I take a lot of kratom (which I haven't done in forever actually) I strangely look so high to people haha. They'll tell me I look blitz but its odd because I still feel relatively functional and able to do any task. On opioids I didn't look THAT messed up under its effects but yes... people could tell past a certain dose point that I was on something. Kratom is a slightly unique product. Its associated with opiates but I'm beginning to wonder if it may just be its own thing. Maybe eventually when I do kick this stuff and just grow some balls it may turn out better after the first hellish few days. I can only hope.

If anyone reading this does dabble in kratom and hasn't become a daily user yet, unless you have chronic pain really ask yourself: What are you getting out of the product? What does it do for you that its worth the torture of a cold turkey unplanned withdrawal or having to ween yourself off with smaller spoon sizes over such a long period of time? Is it really beneficial to your life to become trapped within it despite many of us being abusers of harder narcotics and still being able to kick harder substances but seriously struggle with a soft one like this? Its a soft narcotic so why am I this terrified of withdrawing unplanned?

Its a soft narcotic
I read this and thoughs started going "what the hell is kratom and whatall is it actually doing to our minds and bodies" Still going on this. Not a lot (relatively) has been found on this botanical scientific or otherwise.
The saying (paraphrased) " dose is the difference between medicine and poison" comes to mind but this may not apply to all. I mean, I can live through a bee sting but some cannot.
Agreed that in the long run kratom is preferrable to some other options available. But the physical reality in this thinking is not backed by any real evidence it would seem.
Although I may be able to use kratom in a manner that may seem to better our lives; it may have a hefty price tag in the end. IDK.

My biggest negative side effect is that I don't feel anything remotely close to what's promised by a lot of kratom users.
LOL, I had a few friends that felt the same way. People want the strength, depth! And kratom can be subtle but also potent. I have been using it daily for a few years now. As far as side effects I can get an anxiety/blood pressure rise when it hits. I am almost at the point where not taking any feels better in that aspect.

I get withdrawal of course, but when I use to stop the good thing was balancing out quickly. If you can go two weeks with no kratom (or any comfort drugs) you are in a much better place. I can even sleep with cannabis.

I do think this stuff saved me. I have no desire for other opiates. I probably should be dead. I am one of the people that find it very forgiving too. But I have a simple daily drug intake. Caffeine, Cannabis, Kratom. Mixing in bupe and other things when trying to stop probably muddies the whole withdrawal and makes it linger. I myself have never taken bupe. Guaranteed mixing in other drugs causes stronger withdrawal. It is understandable. I think if I had access to bupe or methadone I would be mixing that in. I mean we like driugs. lol

LOL, I had a few friends that felt the same way. People want the strength, depth! And kratom can be subtle but also potent. I have been using it daily for a few years now. As far as side effects I can get an anxiety/blood pressure rise when it hits. I am almost at the point where not taking any feels better in that aspect.

I get withdrawal of course, but when I use to stop the good thing was balancing out quickly. If you can go two weeks with no kratom (or any comfort drugs) you are in a much better place. I can even sleep with cannabis.

I do think this stuff saved me. I have no desire for other opiates. I probably should be dead. I am one of the people that find it very forgiving too. But I have a simple daily drug intake. Caffeine, Cannabis, Kratom. Mixing in bupe and other things when trying to stop probably muddies the whole withdrawal and makes it linger. I myself have never taken bupe. Guaranteed mixing in other drugs causes stronger withdrawal. It is understandable. I think if I had access to bupe or methadone I would be mixing that in. I mean we like driugs. lol
Yeah I've accepted that everyone's chemistry is different, so I'm sure some people can really enjoy kratom.

I did get high as fuck once from it back in 2011. Later on I learned though that many vendors were spiking their kratom with ODSMT. And I was a big tramadol lover at the time. I've never gotten that effect out of any kind of kratom since then though, so I assume it was probably ODSMT.

If it helps others & people like it though, I'm all about it! :)

My symptoms are crippling.. I mean crippling. The sweating in pools of sweat never lets up combined with restless *everything* from my feet and legs to my arms and neck. I cannot sit down, lay down, walk around, or do anything still for more than a couple of seconds. The depression is quite brutal and I've never been able to not get through a withdrawal before like kratom and its horrendous withdrawal (which seems peculiar and a personal issue).

I have the same thing happen with me. The depression is actually not as bad as stronger opiates for me, and I don't feel physically ill like with full agonists, but the physical feeling is absolutely horrific. The restlessness is many times worse than any other opioid I've come off of, and for me restlessness has always been the worst part of opiate withdrawal. All opioids give me terrible RLS... but kratom gives me RLWB (whole body). It's actually worse in my arms than my legs which is just horrible. But it's not even just my arms and legs. And since sleep is impossible, it's like a week or more of constant hell. SO fucking uncomfortable, I end up thrashing in bed screaming and punching myself in the legs until they go numb for a minute or two. The only thing that helps is a hot shower.

People who haven't had RLS think it sounds stupid, but it's the worst feeling of all the feelings I've had, physically. Maddening. I've always had RLS too (just the legs though except for opiate withdrawal), as a kid it was pretty torturous pretty often for me. Some people don't seem to be prone to it, I have heard people complaining that they can't opiate withdrawal because all they can do is sleep. Which sounds awesome to me, I'd just sleep through it, piece of cake.

Yeah once in a while someone chimes in that all they did was sleep during their opiate withdrawal and I am like wha??

I just took a day off, went about 30 hours without kratom and yes, there is that skin feeling that is uncomfortable and some weird sneezing. Then I just took some. If I had the time and money I would just CT for a month and be done. Yet on another level the stuff helps me so it really is a pickle. But I am gearing up to do that. I dropped to half of where I was last summer with no issues other than a chill or sneeze. Got the gabapentin ready. That stuff seems to almost completely quell the symptoms.

RLS sucks big time. I remember a poppy tea kick all I could do was flip and squirm on my bed. I get that with kratom but not as deep. Thank God! I know how it can break a person. But once a person gets past that hump the body starts calming down. Every twist and turn your body is trying to balance out and it does. Time is the solution. That is how I made it through the flops, considering my body is healing itself every moment that happens. A small amount (60 mgs) of DXM for that blah depression helps too. That lingers longer than the RLS. I do just use plain leaf too, quality but plain. Maybe that helps me.

As far as feeling bad from whatever opiate, I remember once in a detox I was 2 days off heroin. There were some funny jokers in there that time. So I came out one morning to breakfast feeling like road kill, a dude Charles asks how I am feeling and I said like a million bucks. lol We laughed. I think I am saying humor helps.

Maybe when I finally do taper down and go CT from kratom I will document it in one of the other forums. Tapering is the way. But will power is needed. If someone could drop us .5 gram every week without us knowing we could probably get off kratom easy. Taper and space.

Lastly I do not recommend kratom to any opiate naive person. Maybe a pain patient that needs help. To me it is reserved for the heavy hitters trying to get their life in order. We don't need any opiate virgins getting addicted and not knowing what to expect. It is a big help for people pulling themselves out of a hole, not to get others into a hole they can't understand. But if you know the rules you can work within them. (you know all the rules by now and the fire from the ice ;))

I have been taking daily for about 2 months and I do notice some big downsides for me. They are the following:

- severe depression and agitation in too large of a dose which puzzles me because it lifts my mood in small doses.
- very light pain where my liver is located, but I do have fatty liver disease.
-very light pain on the left side of my heart after dosing and the pain is infrequent, but daily.
- sometimes I get light pain under my rib cage on my left side. I am not sure what organ is in pain on this one, but I usually notice it after I notice the liver pain and chest pain.
- depression when it wears off
- interrupted sleep patterns
- cravings and the compulsive need to redose

I am currently working to lower my dosage actually so that I can get to the point to only using it once or twice a week though it may be better to cut it out completely for me. I didn't notice the pain until I started taking a 50x black diamond extract as well so that may be part of it. I did use kratom to get off of benzedrex successfully however. Its served its purpose and I think psilocybin helped me more than anything anyway. Some research has concluded that kratom can cause multi-organ failure in large doses and used regularly. I didn't buy it because all of the propaganda and the "drug war", but I am starting to believe that it is possible.

I highly recommend to anyone considering it to use it only once or twice a week if that and at reasonable doses.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have pretty hardcore tinnitus after the kratom kicks in as well.

Last edited: