• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Please post any negative side effects (or drawbacks) from kratom usage.

Lil'LinaptkSix

Moderator: H&R, TL
Staff member
I am feeling a little wary at the moment as kratom doesn't cause any obvious downsides for me. I know that nothing can be all good so want to compare some negative effects that others may have noticed.
No citations needed this is just a test to see if I have just been ignoring the "bad" while chasing the "good"... you know; the junky stuntin.
Thanks for playing (or not).
Much love, fam.

Don't forget the rock hard poops

There should be a special toilet designed specifically for kratom poops
lol, personally I have never experienced any
Anyway, have no idea how the US numbers are still so bad, still quite a bit of people dying every day.b
or anything from kratom

if anything, it seems to help with alcohol shits and keeps my poops rather solid vs liquid

no matter how much kratom I do I always can poop in the morning

• Constipation (most recently I have found I actually stopped being at all constipated on suboxone, but kratom is stopping me up solid, unless I take 10 stool softener pills per day.
  • Compared to other opioids, I experience little to no positive effects once addicted, which means I pretty much feel depressed all the time without any highs
  • It makes me really grumpy compared to other opioids when I'm addicted
  • Extremely frequent redosing
  • That dizziness from dosing too much - this seems to be the only part I don't get a tolerance to
  • Very bad restlessness from withdrawal compared to other opioids (though not as bad in the other symptoms)
Honestly the only positive parts (compared to other opioids) are that it is legal and cheap (now it is - used to kill my wallet but it is so popular and imported in such large amounts that it has gotten quite cheap, especially by the kilo - of course this is compared to other opioids, it's still expensive, and if you do extracts then it's awful)

Can't wait to be off this shit again. I'm trying to wait out the suboxone withdrawal period and then I'm going to taper and stop with the aid of gabapentin and loperamide

For me the downsides actually come with the acute effects, kratom is a dopamine D2 antagonist and I'm pretty sensitive to that site (see: antipsychotics), this kills the high, making kratom the only non-addictive opioid for me so far.

For me the downsides actually come with the acute effects, kratom is a dopamine D2 antagonist and I'm pretty sensitive to that site (see: antipsychotics), this kills the high, making kratom the only non-addictive opioid for me so far.
I know it binds to d2 and 5ht2, speculated it might have AP effect there. Is there any actual research into this?

What feeling does it give you? any difference with different strains?

It does not seem to make my symptoms better or worse, but at heavy doses I can tell it's tickling one of those receptors.

Last edited:
Can't wait to be off this shit again. I'm trying to wait out the suboxone withdrawal period and then I'm going to taper and stop with the aid of gabapentin and loperamide
I really want to get off it, too. It's a huge hassle like you describe. I plan my entire days around it and have spent a lot of money. But I hate being dependent on anything in general, ball and chain.

Did you go from subs back to kratom? Hell I've even considered going on subs to get off kratom but that sounds kinda silly, because I can easily taper my kratom down and have been as low as 6g/day about 2 years ago.

What feeling does it give you? any difference with different strains?
Difficult to explain and grasp but it is kind of muted. High but not able to enjoy it. This becomes more pronounced with tolerance (as there are different patterns for D2 and mu). I can only say it's like I'd imagine O-desmethyltramadol together with olanzapine probably must be.

yes I did. I have used subs to try to get off kratom a number of times and it did work once, though I had some light sub withdrawal afterwards that went on for 2 weeks, but it was much milder than kratom withdrawal. But every other time, I just end up in a worse place. The problem is discipline, I don't have it when it comes to opiates. If you actually do a bare minimum rapid taper, it can work, but I find that exceedingly hard to do. Plus suboxone feels much stronger than kratom, I like it substantially more as a recreational drug.

This time I did a "last hurrah" with poppy pod and got really badly dependent, to an insane level of tolerance. I went to subs from those and for the first time, subs did not make me feel really nice. Instead I felt rather shitty but not in withdrawal. And now kratom is making me feel rather shitty but not in withdrawal from the subs. It's overall been a huge pile of shit

I've been on kratom for about 2 yrs. All things considered, I prefer it to several other drugs I've been dependent on. Cost, availability, and relative safety are the main factors here.
I've never had the constipation/hard stool issues mentioned above. Withdrawal symptoms have been fairly mild.

Here are the negatives I've experienced:
  • Frequent redosing can be a hassle
  • Taking too much causes nausea
  • Doesn't help with severe pain
  • Sometimes I feel edgy/irritable (but I drink about 2 pots of coffee per day, so it may not be the kratom)
  • The mild euphoria is very fleeting

How much are you dosing at a time, and per day? I don't get constipated until higher amounts, 30+ grams a day. Of course I seem to find it impossible to not escalate dosage to that level. At that point the constipation becomes pretty bad.

Bad for stomach(for me).Humans are not herbivorous.May be better if you can brew the leaf than ingest it like a powder.Good effects dissapeared quickly.In fact kratom hit me well only the first time....and thats it.Quickly developing tolerance-need more and more without much difference actually.Withdrawl from doses above 20g daily are bad enough to be hard to quit cold turkey.Batches can significantly be different like potency.You never really know is the batch sprayed with something.Have a real cross tolerance with other opies..so you cannot feel the same effect from example oxy like before...but positive side outweight the negative.....for a junkey....so dont worry ma friend.As i see from your posts your daily dose is neglible.Thats a best substitution for me.Wish you well

i hated the interdose withdrawals, and IMO i would rather go through an oxy withdrawal than kratom. because it's SO protracted and emotional. give me 3 days of barfing over two weeks of self-doubt and crippling worry about everything in my life. it's not standardized - so as you get more powerful batches there's a dose creep that happens and you end up at higher and higher doses. :pP

your daily dose is neglible
it is hard not to raise the dose. lately i raised it for back pain relief and kinda kept it there for a sec. i have started dropping it again and it kinda sucks, cause:
self-doubt and crippling worry about everything in my life
i was wondering where all that came from. :oops: i mean, i have always had ups and downs. it is natural, right? to a certain extent we have to expect it. but i do notice when things get a little "more" than the usual. imma have to look into that a little more. thanks
sprayed with something
Me and SO were just talking about that and i posted this a day or so after we watched a documentary about Indian (east) tea farms. the pesticides were seriously causing issues with the pickers (leaves). it was horrible. this wasn't their only issue but the pesticides is what i was drawn to. i feel deeply for the people and animals but what can i do...? fuck all....
I know I talk about gettin shit tested all the time but ya'll watch; when i get some monies imma test erryfuqinthing around me, heard? :woah:
The problem is discipline, I don't have it when it comes to opiates.
Same deal with me and benzos. Most all other demons have been "tamed" (for now).
The mild euphoria is very fleeting
Subtle at best. if i am busy i rarely notice but eventually the time to redose comes. the yawning and watery eyes is my first symptoms. then the depressed feeling and pain returns to "on" and is very noticeable. that's about as far as it goes and wears off in a day or two if i do not redose. honestly... i am scared of withdrawals now. been too many and a few extreme. not saying i will never experience one (full wd) again but keeping my banes within reach but at bay has taken a lot of practice, anguish, "remapping" brain, research, freakin' work that i am not willing to give up all that easily. it's been hard no doubt. i know i am not the only one who "goes through it" so looking for my kind and freely chatting about any/everything with those who understands is a lot healthier for me than going to church for an example. nothing against church but the plasticity is off putting.
kratom is a dopamine D2 antagonist
gotta look into that one. may answer a coupla questions i have. thanks

CB1 overactivation
Just keeps getting better.
Ya'll gonna make me quit this stuff keep it up lol
Nah... I will use it as long as it is available. Up to now it still beats out the other options. After bloodwork is done i will reassess.
Nothing else really helps. I can get high on other meds but the pain is still there; I just kinda ignored it cause my head is feeling good. With kratom the high isn't there but neither is the pain.
Doc is throwing all kinds of shit at me and all i take is the steroidal anti inflamatory and muscle relaxer... and kratom. If i can get rid of the swellings a lot of the pain subsides. Golden.

Just keeps getting better.
Ya'll gonna make me quit this stuff keep it up lol
Nah... I will use it as long as it is available. Up to now it still beats out the other options. After bloodwork is done i will reassess.
Nothing else really helps. I can get high on other meds but the pain is still there; I just kinda ignored it cause my head is feeling good. With kratom the high isn't there but neither is the pain.
Doc is throwing all kinds of shit at me and all i take is the steroidal anti inflamatory and muscle relaxer... and kratom. If i can get rid of the swellings a lot of the pain subsides. Golden.
might want to look into boswellia. I have severe systemic inflammation issues that I was treating with opioids. what's working for me now is a lot of meditation/keeping stress levels down, carefully structuring exercise so i don't aggravate stuff. what is working for me now is : voltaren topical if it's really bad, MONSTER CBD doses (like 200mg full spec -> 3g if things are really bad), and boswellia(frankincense) capsules.