Please Actually Give the Discord some attention. It is ruining your credibility.

I

I wouldn't know.

I was banned from BL Discord before even having a chance to post. I only signed up because Tronica was looking for cross platform membership and when I was banned I never tried again because I am not of fan of "the platform"'s security problems, not because of content. Discord is IRC with a fancy wrapper and as I said I am not a fan of the "platform" from a security standpoint.
You got banned almost immediately? Wow, even I am impressed; because I know you aren't the type to cause trouble, usually.🤣🤣
 
I have heard rumors of admins reading our messages

I dont like whatever divide there is between discord and the rest of us? My first reaction is to say "Fuck ya'll on discord talking shit in secret" --- btw you got somethin to say bout me say it about me im not thin skinned and ill be way more pissed if I hear we got a problem from someone not you

Does the BLUA not apply on discord or some shit?
 
@Jnowhere you're clearly now trolling.

consider this a formal warning.

you have been told clearly and repeatedly, including by me directly, that discord the platform and individual discord servers are not the same thing. the distinction is not complicated and you are plainly capable of understanding it. at this point your continued conflation of the two is not a misunderstanding, it is a deliberate choice to misrepresent bluelight's position in order to inflame this thread and disrupt the forum.

that stops now.

if you post further content in this thread that conflates the platform with individual servers, or that characterises bluelight's discord presence in ways that have already been corrected, you will receive a ban without further warning.

you are welcome to have concerns about discord. you are not welcome to repeatedly misrepresent facts after they have been corrected, and to do so in a way that is clearly designed to cause disruption rather than advance any genuine discussion.

consider this your final notice.

alasdair
 
it has nothing to do with whatever problematic servers you may have encountered or heard about elsewhere on discord.

criticising bluelight for using discord because of bad actors on other servers is a bit like criticising someone for using email because scammers also use email. the tool isn't the problem.

I mean, there have been bad actors and sexual predators on the Bluelight server though. No need to go looking other places.

I think ultimately the problem is that for many months there were individuals pointing out their problematic manipulative behavior , and because of the "culture" there, the criticism was drowned out, and rather than that person being dealt with, they were supported and empowered-- then what happened...

The "culture" there doesn't allow open discourse like we have here. It doesn't allow for any sort of transparency, either. Even as a senior administratior and staff member of 7+ years I'm still waiting on a formal explanation of why I remain banned. I never received any kind of formal communication about it, and we all know why.

to anybody else who has concerns about behavior of, or specific posts by, members of bluelight discord staff, please report them (with screenshots or links) by emailing [email protected] or dm'ing any admin.

Oh that would be nice wouldn't it. But when you can permaban anyone you want with no accountability or transparency, as well as limiting access to certain channels to approved individuals, there isn't much opportunity to obtain these things is there...
 
@Jnowhere you're clearly now trolling.

consider this a formal warning.

you have been told clearly and repeatedly, including by me directly, that discord the platform and individual discord servers are not the same thing. the distinction is not complicated and you are plainly capable of understanding it. at this point your continued conflation of the two is not a misunderstanding, it is a deliberate choice to misrepresent bluelight's position in order to inflame this thread and disrupt the forum.

that stops now.

if you post further content in this thread that conflates the platform with individual servers, or that characterises bluelight's discord presence in ways that have already been corrected, you will receive a ban without further warning.

you are welcome to have concerns about discord. you are not welcome to repeatedly misrepresent facts after they have been corrected, and to do so in a way that is clearly designed to cause disruption rather than advance any genuine discussion.

consider this your final notice.

alasdair
I am not trolling, I am just very upset about this. I explained my position to you in a DM. But I will leave it alone.
I am sorry that you think that. I am just very opinionated and believe in free speech, but I am truly sorry for you not understanding why I am mad. I know we can't agree and you have the power so I will leave it alone, for now.
 
there's nothing wrong with being upset.

if you stepped back and chose to stop conflating discord the platform and individual discord servers you'd see that you're getting upset over a misunderstanding.

and, yes, i don't understand why any sane, rational, reasonably smart person would choose to do that to themselves.

thanks.

alasdair
 
thanks for the perspective mal.

alasdair

Absolutely.

One last thing I think worth mentioning is that I've brought the issue up to everyone here on the forum with any kind of power or influence, several times, all the way up to the top of the food chain. Had very cordial and respectful conversations, yet, there seems to be an imbalance that prevents holding certain individuals accountable. A fear that wielding any sort of authority over them might result in mutiny. It's a very reasonable fear to have as I've seen them openly threaten it many times.

That is not a tenable or healthy dynamic. I totally get how when you have a group of individuals who are very devoted to and protective of each other, and they run the biggest (by far) arm of your social media apparatus for free -- that's not something you really want to mess with. Even if it means you might have to look the other way when it comes to certain issues.
 
I'm actually good with arrall so I'd talk with them if it truly mattered.
I'm also hoping the the OP (Jess) was over reacting or something. I'm getting too old to tip my lance at windmills, if ya get my meaning.

You "yooths " are the future of BL :cool:
I will say no more on this subject
I love having you around and would sort this out if I could, but I stepped down from staffing the Discord over a year and a half ago.
In terms of the security issue, as far as I know the Discord does have an anti-spam/anti-bot filter for new members that was put in place due to major issues with trolls and spammers, and it may be set to kick people out if they don't pass verification in a certain amount of time.
It isn't ideal, but it is what was decided on collectively by the staff back when I was running things.
I have no idea as to what the policy is now, but I presume that it hasn't changed.

I'm also hoping the the OP (Jess) was over reacting or something. I'm getting too old to tip my lance at windmills, if ya get my meaning.
Usually when people come to one platform to bash the other, it stems down to some petty interpersonal drama that they are skewing out of context in an attempt to gain sympathy/revenge/etc.
At least, that was my experience adminning both platforms.
 
^ q.e.d. :)

I've never checked out Discord before. What's it all about ?

discord is a platform which allows users to interact via text, video, voice and media sharing. discord is organized into communities (like bluelight.org is a community on the www) and those communities are hosted on servers. there are an estimated 6.5 million active discord servers.

on bluelight, when people talk about "discord" they are usually talking about the "Bluelight.org" discord community specifically.

you can check it out by signing up for an account here: https://discord.com/invite/bluelight

if you ask 100 different people you'll get 100 different answers but i might describe discord as a quicker, more synchronous version of bluelight.org.

here on bluelight, you typically post a message and wait minutes or hours for a reply. posts can be quite long and structured and the content is persistent (threads remain visible for months and years and you can search the entire history).

on discord, you typically post a message and wait seconds for a reply. messages are typically very short and rapid fire. and the content is ephemeral (old messages scroll away very quickly and people rarely revisit them).

alasdair
 
I love having you around and would sort this out if I could, but I stepped down from staffing the Discord over a year and a half ago.
In terms of the security issue, as far as I know the Discord does have an anti-spam/anti-bot filter for new members that was put in place due to major issues with trolls and spammers, and it may be set to kick people out if they don't pass verification in a certain amount of time.
It isn't ideal, but it is what was decided on collectively by the staff back when I was running things.
I have no idea as to what the policy is now, but I presume that it hasn't changed.


Usually when people come to one platform to bash the other, it stems down to some petty interpersonal drama that they are skewing out of context in an attempt to gain sympathy/revenge/etc.
At least, that was my experience adminning both platforms.
Hey Arral

I am not talking about security measures that BL Discord takes to remove remove new or inactive accounts. I am talking about the inherent security failures that Discord, the platform, exposes.

Please allow me to use AI to iterate just some of the security problems that I, as a E.E. see is inherent in Discord, the platform:

Yes, Discord can be considered "leaky" depending on what kind of privacy you expect, as text chats are not end-to-end encrypted and the platform has a history of third-party data breaches. While Discord is generally safe for casual gaming and chatting, it is not built for corporate, legal, or highly sensitive communication.
1. No Encryption for Text Chats
• The Leak Risk: While Discord uses end-to-end encryption (E2EE) for voice and video calls via its DAVE protocol, text messages, direct messages (DMs), and uploaded files are not end-to-end encrypted.
• What it means: Discord stores your text chat logs on its servers so moderation tools and AI can scan them. If a hacker compromises your account token or if Discord faces an internal leak, your full text history is accessible.
2. Supply-Chain & Third-Party Breaches
Discord relies on outside vendors for customer service and compliance, which have proven to be vulnerable:
• The ID Leak: Attackers breached one of Discord's third-party customer support systems, exposing the data of thousands of users. This included customer support transcripts, emails, and roughly 70,000 government-issued ID photos and selfies that users had submitted for age verification appeals.
• Vendor Vulnerabilities: The platform faced severe backlash from privacy groups like the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) over its global rollout of mandatory biometric and age checks, especially after security flaws were discovered in vendor software.
3. Exploitable Platform Features
• Malicious File Hosting: Discord's Content Delivery Network (CDN)—the system that hosts images and files you upload—has frequently been abused by cybercriminals. Because anyone can access a Discord file link without logging in, hackers often use Discord to host and distribute malware payloads. Discord implemented 24-hour expiring links to limit this, but it remains a target.
• Token Stealing: If you click a malicious link or download a fake "game mod" on Discord, malware can instantly harvest your Discord login token, bypassing your password and Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) entirely to hijack your account.
4. Heavy Data Collection
Discord's business model relies on collecting a large amount of metadata, including your IP address, your device information, who you talk to, and what games you play. This data is used to serve personalized ads and feed machine-learning models that track user behavior.

So please understand, it is not the content I object to...
It's the inherent security holes the platform itself exposes to users.
 
You have members of harm reduction and the mod team openly talking about killing all men. like not a joke. like literally unironically admitting to being bigoted and wishing they all died.
You specifically have people like Cherry posting memes and making jokes while people are in an actual drug crisis begging for help and getting ignored, 5 different occasions you can search up in the discord, made fun of a trial mods girlfriend for their weight until they left the server, and both actually use their power to ban people over petty disagreements and threaten it constantly. There is very obviously an "in" group who have goals other than harm reduction, running it like a highly selective social club or a group chat instead.

I didnt even get banned or anything like that, this is not a revenge attempt. This is a genuine attempt to go up the chain since a few high rank people there are clearly abusive and negligent, and I care about bluelight.
I searched through the discord and don't see any of what you're talking about. Can you please provide screen caps?
 
Top