• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Pills circa 19xx Get all your pill nostalgia discussion done here

I only got really into dance music with chemical accompaniment around 1996 - 7. Giro and Smokescreen sound systems alternate weekends at the Havana club (skinning up under the tables). And when that closed down, less often in the Future Club, or the Rockhouse as it was before.

Fun times ..... Wonder whatever happened to DJ Lou Lou? And Hannah from the cybercafé on Bab Lane? (Which closed down for good just after the Bass's Rec protest kicked off; and I bought the last few bags of crisps as a donation to the Eco Warriors.) Aw, shit ..... Was it really that long ago?

Here's my take on the only 90's pill I've ever had.

We think they might have been Mitsubishis (which doesn't really narrow it down at all with the amount the press was copied) but not too sure. Taken in about 2003 but saved from the late 90s. Just had that one pill, no alcohol or anything else.

Come up was very slow and gradual, started at about the one hour mark. The come up was hardly noticeable though, i.e you didn't really realise it was happening, almost like a background happiness.

The high was about 60 - 70 % of the intensity of MDMA I've taken since then (so in comparison, a lower high). But much more enjoyable since it didn't take you too high. Here's the key difference, it was a sustained high for about 5 hours, so rather than hitting 100% for 2-3 hours like the MDMA I've had recently, it was say 60-70% of that but for much longer.

some other differences:

- I got dry mouth (something I never get on modern mdma)
- jaw tension, rather than chewing or my jaw just moving around, I found that my jaw stuck forward a little. No chewing gum was needed since this was totally manageable.
- movement, I could not sit down at all on this pill. Modern MDMA I can easily sit down and chill. To put this into context, once the club closed I walked outside and started walking home (i'd managed to blag my way into the DJ box and none of the people I were with saw me go in so had lost everyone else) once i'd started walking I couldn't help myself and just had to start running home, still high at this point.

So I'd say the total high was around 5 hours, with a slow come down as I ran home.
The high was about 60-70% of what 100MG of MDMA I've had since gives me, but felt much more enjoyable and lasted longer (I only get about 3 hours off MDMA I've had since).

I'm wondering if it was MDMA cut with an Amphetamine, or perhaps just MDMA that was leaning more towards the S + isomer. Either way most of the test results from back then show pills with around 60-80mg MDMA, so not a huge dose. I'm interested in hearing peoples opinions on why there's such a difference...

Since that one single time in 2003, I didn't take MDMA again until 2015. Certainly no tolerance issues here :)

Sorry for the shitty images :/

Not all 19xx pills, but probably nostalgia provoking for some here :)

2 different mitzis (Pretty sure at least one of these is 1999/00)

NSFW:
dhpNdfc.jpg

Selection of smilies
NSFW:
siPmSIl.jpg

Couple of rolexes (again, one of these is defo an early one)

NSFW:
eYrFhXR.jpg

Early to mid 00s I think, selection of hearts & stars

NSFW:
nQD2GXW.jpg

These are mentioned in this tread... redbulls & Heinnicans(sp?) where there is a logo on one side and a bottle or text on the other

NSFW:
fxcJAJO.jpg

My fav hearts... I think mid 00s on these

NSFW:
aFxmVa2.jpg

Early 00s doves

NSFW:
Tr8nOyK.jpg

A full set of original playstations white, blue and green - the white look pink but they are white - these came out before the ones with the game controller logos on them.. also the blue ones were the best MDA experience I've ever had!

NSFW:
Mg5VJM0.jpg

NSFW:
dhpNdfc.jpg

Selection of smilies
NSFW:
siPmSIl.jpg

NSFW:
eYrFhXR.jpg

NSFW:
nQD2GXW.jpg

These are mentioned in this tread... redbulls & Heinnicans(sp?) where there is a logo on one side and a bottle or text on the other

NSFW:
fxcJAJO.jpg

NSFW:
aFxmVa2.jpg

Early 00s doves

NSFW:
Tr8nOyK.jpg

A full set of original playstations white, blue and green - the white look pink but they are white - these came out before the ones with the game controller logos on them.. also the blue ones were the best MDA experience I've ever had!

NSFW:
Mg5VJM0.jpg

Wow they look amazing

I never paid any mind to what the pills looked like -- I was always more about the effects. They were mostly round, about 8 mm. across by 4 mm. thick, and white; but I am sorry to say, I have no recollection of the designs on any of them.

NSFW:
dhpNdfc.jpg

Selection of smilies
NSFW:
siPmSIl.jpg

NSFW:
eYrFhXR.jpg

NSFW:
nQD2GXW.jpg

NSFW:
fxcJAJO.jpg

NSFW:
aFxmVa2.jpg

Early 00s doves

NSFW:
Tr8nOyK.jpg

NSFW:
Mg5VJM0.jpg

I've had all of those pills apart from the green playstations, green rolex & pink smiley!

The mitzi on the left from 1999 was my first ever pill.
Great to see them again. Cheers for the memories! :)

Everyone loved the first Mitsubishi because they were very similar in quality to the original doves,
A few years before they appeared the quality of ecstasy had fallen, pills were being mixed with other substance like amphetamine, and the doves were being copied.
The original Mitsubishi had a big impact, the first batch was mass produced and everyone had them, it was like the early rave days had returned back into the clubs in 1998-1999

But it was a very odd time to start taking ecstasy especially if the original Mitzi was the first pill you had ever taken, because those pills very quickly disappeared,
I took a few other high quality pills around that time, like red Mitsubishi's in 1999, fishes, the early supermen pills, and diamonds, and that was about it for the high quality pills.
The vast majority were low quality, and those low quality pills very quickly began to saturate the scene in the UK.

So for the people who's first ever ecstasy pill was a high quality Mitsubishi, it gave them a false impression of what the ecstasy scene was actually like.
I didn't know, and many other people did not know that the original Mitzi was something of a one off, a rare very high quality MDMA pill in scene that would very soon be filled with low quality pills.
I think that created confusion in people at the time, people expected to be able to buy good quality MDMA pills all the time, but it gradually became clear, whilst chasing after the MDMA (without realizing it)
that the pills people were able to buy were poor quality, it wasn't long after that when the ecstasy scene literally bottomed out, the original mitzi that had cost 10 pounds to buy, you could now buy a copy of it for 2 pounds a few years later.

I did take a lot of pills between the years 1998-2004,
and I can remember the ones that were high quality, and can count them on one hand, all the others were mainly low, many of them contained god knows what.

People would say well, you took too many pills so you wouldn't have been able to tell if they were good quality or not,
but this wasn't the case, because once in a blue moon I would take a good quality MDMA pill, and I'd think oh yeah, this is what quality MDMA feels like,
and then I'd be able to tell that the vast majority of the others I had taken before it were crap.

It was a strange time really, it's good to see that the scene now has vastly improved above how it used to be.

Last edited:
Yeh, the pills that really stand out for me were the original doves and Mitzis (had loads of Mitzis - there seemed to be an unlimited supply) and subsequently pink calis; they were trippy as fuck! Also I seem to remember mercedes and crowns weren't too bad either. Also had many that I can't remember the name of. The only dodgy pills I've had were some green triangular things that I only recently discovered were actually DXM.

NSFW:
dhpNdfc.jpg

Selection of smilies
NSFW:
siPmSIl.jpg

NSFW:
eYrFhXR.jpg

NSFW:
nQD2GXW.jpg

NSFW:
fxcJAJO.jpg

NSFW:
aFxmVa2.jpg

Early 00s doves

NSFW:
Tr8nOyK.jpg

NSFW:
Mg5VJM0.jpg

i remember all those, the playstations were a favourite from around that time

I had a lot of the blue PlayStations, they were OK, strong enough to have you come up off one, but they wore off pretty quickly.

Yeh, the pills that really stand out for me were the original doves and Mitzis (had loads of Mitzis - there seemed to be an unlimited supply) and subsequently pink calis; they were trippy as fuck! Also I seem to remember mercedes and crowns weren't too bad either. Also had many that I can't remember the name of. The only dodgy pills I've had were some green triangular things that I only recently discovered were actually DXM.

In the UK pills shaped like a white star started to appear, quiet a good design actually, they looked decent but they were all DXM.
As far as dodgy pills, from yr 2000 onwards I think I could write a long list, around 30+ different stamps if I could remember them all, not all of them were very dodgy pills, most of them were just poor quality or not MDMA.
I do feel nostalgic about those earlier years though, I loved the clubs and the rising trance scene back then, and the good pills like the Mitsubishi in late 90's.

Last edited:
I had a lot of the blue PlayStations, they were OK, strong enough to have you come up off one, but they wore off pretty quickly.

Maybe not the same ones as the ones in my pic then... They were really strong MDA.

Battered many a bluelighter

Tolerance probably, they came out near the end of my third year at uni. I was battle hardened by then.

Doves around 1989 or 1990
XO around 97 and then again 2002 (yellow and exactly the same. The best pills i ever had)
Mitzis the original ones late 90's
Red HQ's from the famed X press (lab in Malaysia that the score on the back didnt line up thus the x press) unbelievable pills that flooded Aus. Multiple logos all with x score. No Red HQ here but these were all available and from the same factory. Half of one of these was a solid dose. Notice the x score.
lots of others but after 2000 i pretty much only took mdma powder as it was always available and in demand
ecstasy20pills.jpg

Last edited:
^^ Awesome post consumer, wow that brings back happy memories.

My first was a green Mitsubishi, August 1999. Beige Apples, Beige Domes, Rolexes followed.

I never had an XO but those were pills people saved for years and wouldn't part with for $100.

In Australia, 2001 to 2005 were the glory years. The Mitsis got stronger, the Durexes and Gaming Console based logos arrived and, as consumer has so appropriately reminded us, the continual floods of incredible Xscore pills, from the HQs to the Lightning Bolts, Hearts, Spades, went on a few years.

It was around this time that I was fortunate enough to be provided with ongoing reliable data as to the precise contents of many of the pills which all of us were then enjoying, many having been qualitatively analyzed by an Australian Government Laboratory should they have been seized by the police during a criminal investigation.

The strongest Mitsi I saw was a green one in about 2004 that had 140mg of MDMA and a little bit of MDEA (which I can assure you of the hundreds of MDXX pills tested, only came up about five times!) The HQs, which destroyed people routinely were anywhere from 110 to 140mg of MDMA. And the strongest pill I ever came across, a yellow panda, which by today's "standards" was a seemingly embarrassing 156mg of MDMA.

As for almost all of the Xscore pills save the HQs, they only ever tested between 110 and 130mg of MDMA, but this was always in conjunction with an unspecified amount of caffeine. In fact back in the day, caffeine was the most common "other drug" found together with the MDMA in quality "Ecstasy" pills; now surely taking caffeine with MDMA can't be the sole reason for these pills being as magical as they undoubtedly were, but maybe it's worth looking into further, as caffeine is virtually never seen in MDMA pills anymore.

I accept this discussion has been done to death and people will continue to steadfastly line up in the various opposing camps, firm and unwavering in their views, but when those of us who have enjoyed the sorts of pills which consumer has displayed above, actually consider their experiences in the context of the "modest" amount of MDMA that these pills actually contained, as compared with the ridiculously massive doses that are now an industry standard; you cannot tell me that the MDMA which was pressed into pills from the glory days, is not in some way different to much of the MDMA being used today.

The memories of those who experienced these "glory" years are of course highly subjective and inevitably influenced by the passage of time; however, the maths is anything but and to put it simply, the figures don't lie.

Last edited:
^^ Awesome post consumer, wow that brings back happy memories.

My first was a green Mitsubishi, August 1999. Beige Apples, Beige Domes, Rolexes followed.

I never had an XO but those were pills people saved for years and wouldn't part with for $100.

In Australia, 2001 to 2005 were the glory years. The Mitsis got stronger, the Durexes and Gaming Console based logos arrived and, as consumer has so appropriately reminded us, the continual floods of incredible Xscore pills, from the HQs to the Lightning Bolts, Hearts, Spades, went on a few years.

It was around this time that I was fortunate enough to be provided with ongoing reliable data as to the precise contents of many of the pills which all of us were then enjoying, many having been qualitatively analyzed by an Australian Government Laboratory should they have been seized by the police during a criminal investigation.

The strongest Mitsi I saw was a green one in about 2004 that had 140mg of MDMA and a little bit of MDEA (which I can assure you of the hundreds of MDXX pills tested, only came up about five times!) The HQs, which destroyed people routinely were anywhere from 110 to 140mg of MDMA. And the strongest pill I ever came across, a yellow panda, which by today's "standards" was a seemingly embarrassing 156mg of MDMA.

As for almost all of the Xscore pills save the HQs, they only ever tested between 110 and 130mg of MDMA, but this was always in conjunction with an unspecified amount of caffeine. In fact back in the day, caffeine was the most common "other drug" found together with the MDMA in quality "Ecstasy" pills; now surely taking caffeine with MDMA can't be the sole reason for these pills being as magical as they undoubtedly were, but maybe it's worth looking into further, as caffeine is virtually never seen in MDMA pills anymore.

I accept this discussion has been done to death and people will continue to steadfastly line up in the various opposing camps, firm and unwavering in their views, but when those of us who have enjoyed the sorts of pills which consumer has displayed above, actually consider their experiences in the context of the "modest" amount of MDMA that these pills actually contained, as compared with the ridiculously massive doses that are now an industry standard; you cannot tell me that the MDMA which was pressed into pills from the glory days, is not in some way different to much of the MDMA being used today.

The memories of those who experienced these "glory" years are of course highly subjective and inevitably influenced by the passage of time; however, the maths is anything but and to put it simply, the figures don't lie.

I quite agree! If there was a magical synergy between MDMA and caffeine then it could be easily tested by dropping half of one of the modern super strength pills and drinking a cup of strong coffee, or even necking a couple of pro plus. However, I very much doubt this would recreate the magical effect of the old stuff. I've only taken MDMA in crystal or pill form a handful of times since the early 2000s, and these were all in the last few years, and although still very enjoyable, the experience has been lacking something, regardless of dose. Normally I would have just put this down to my fried brain, but so many people have reported the same that there has to be some real difference between old and new. Having said that, I've seen reports from old timers that reckon the good stuff is still available, so there's hope yet...