• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxycodone to Fentanyl Question

Kenified06

Bluelighter
Hello, I have been on oxycodone for several years. For the last year I am dosing about 50-60 mg oxy 4x daily or around about 200mg daily. Tommorrow I'll most likely end up going to a 50mcg fentanyl 72 hour patch. It's the Mylan patch. I plan to just stick this on my back as directed. Should I have any issue at all making this switch and using as directed?

Yes, big time. Did the doc think this was a good idea? Cuz just the time it’ll take for that patch to start working you’ll be in WD before it even starts up. I’ve actually known people with similar oxy habits to try this very thing and they didn’t respond well.

I’d be very wary of this, make sure it’s possible to switch back if you don’t respond well. Oxycodone is also just a much better feeling opiate, fentanyl is sedating with zero euphoria. You’ll likely feel like shit even if fully doped from it.

-GC

Hello, I have been on oxycodone for several years. For the last year I am dosing about 50-60 mg oxy 4x daily or around about 200mg daily. Tommorrow I'll most likely end up going to a 50mcg fentanyl 72 hour patch. It's the Mylan patch. I plan to just stick this on my back as directed. Should I have any issue at all making this switch and using as directed?
Depends on your experience with oxycodone. How much do you like it have you come to depend on it and so on. Because that's a large amount and I don't know what the equivalence is but fentanyl 50 mg it's not sufficient also there's complaints about these patches never working as long as they're intended

Years ago I enjoyed oxy. Now I just lay around every day taking it just not to feel sick. I want off the shit all together. I got some comfort meds but nothing is really touching the wd right now. The switch to the fentanyl patch is for survival only. I've got two patches and 7 days to get thru until I go back to the doctor. Ive heard all the horror stories and just want to make sure it will be safe if I do it right. I'm not expecting a buzz just to stay out of wythdrawl until I can make a plan. I'd go straight to detox now if I could make it even 40 percent more comfortable. Like I said in another thread. I have gabapentin, tramadol, clonidine, trazadone. I took just 100 mg of gaba last night and felt like shit all day. Over anything else, I want clean, now! Its just so damn unbearable laying there in pure hell and agony. It's been 7 years solid without any breaks at all

Sorry I just saw your other post about wanting to get off, my bad. I’ve been where your at, buprenorphine was my savior but met with another dependence. The only difference is I can function like a normal person, my tolerance never goes up strangely, and it costs me pennys a day to use.

I mention Bupe also because it’s great for quick tapers. Use it for 3-7 days max and it’s one of the easiest ways to bypass the worst of the withdrawal. Cravings will be a MF though.

Otherwise yes these patches may help too. I just worry cuz fentanyl can raise tolerance greatly. Hopefully using as directed will negate that.

-GC

I am hoping with the morphine equivelent being way less than what I take in oxy it won't raise my tollerance. That's the last thing I want. I really don't want to get into subs or anything like that. I've tried it before and slipped right back up. Just wish there was something to calm some of this hell and get clean. But really, In the place I'm in now. It's probably dang impossible. I didn't mention. I had a bad run of covid. I ended up with pneumonia. Been in bed nearly 60 days but getting better. That's probably playing a role I'm what my body can handle at the moment as well

I skipped over the fentanyl patches and went straight to gaba and tramadol. Going on 24 hours. This is doable.

I skipped over the fentanyl patches and went straight to gaba and tramadol. Going on 24 hours. This is doable.
You just discovered rich people subs. It just happens to be called Tramadol & it works.

If youre taking serotonin reuptake antidepressants such as ssris or stimulants you shouldn't take more than 400 mg in a day due to the potential for seizures Probably best taken on an as needed basis, 50mg, it has a metabolite with greater opioid effects. By spacing doses you mitigate the side effects while prolonging the desirable effects which to an opiate naive person would feel like intoxication but for you will feel more like normal. Use your comfort meds to treat your other withdrawal symptoms like insomnia

Last edited:
The only med I was on or have been on is the oxy. So far I cannot stay awake due to the gabapentin. I slept from 11 last night until 11 this morning nearly straight thru. Very suprized how well just 50mg tramadol and 300mg gaba is working for me with such a huge addiction. Of course my mind is screwed. Some really out of it feeling in my head but that's ok. I have alot of room left as the symtoms increase. I will go up on dosage as needed. I will not exceed 200 mg tramadol in one day though. I've taken it a few times before and that's about all I can handle. I can still go way up on the gaba and add clonidine as needed. I feel like I can get thru this though. I'm putting right along. I'm still really week coming off the 60 days in bed from covid pneumonia. I am not strong minded at all and very suprized at how well this is going SO FAR :)

The only med I was on or have been on is the oxy. So far I cannot stay awake due to the gabapentin. I slept from 11 last night until 11 this morning nearly straight thru. Very suprized how well just 50mg tramadol and 300mg gaba is working for me with such a huge addiction. Of course my mind is screwed. Some really out of it feeling in my head but that's ok. I have alot of room left as the symtoms increase. I will go up on dosage as needed. I will not exceed 200 mg tramadol in one day though. I've taken it a few times before and that's about all I can handle. I can still go way up on the gaba and add clonidine as needed. I feel like I can get thru this though. I'm putting right along. I'm still really week coming off the 60 days in bed from covid pneumonia. I am not strong minded at all and very suprized at how well this is going SO FAR :)
If you have clonidine you're sitting pretty. Are you going to refill your oxy script because you're pretty much out of the woods in about a week. The mean half-life of Oxycodone instant release is 3.5 hours

I used to have a script for these for a while.

Using these matrix patches and gradually cutting them smaller and smaller over time have been the easiest way to kick opioids I've ever done. Hands down.

The patch will take about 4 hour to start working. If you wamt to boost this and shorten the wait....lightly heat it with a heating pad and it will start faster...however the patch won't last the full time.

I think that the 50 mcg patch will be too low for a 200 mg oxy per day dependency

Nope. I am going thru this and staying clean. I'll find another way to deal with the pain
Admirable. I've met people in recovery with some pretty serious chronic pain that are clean.

It doesn't compute with me. I'm trying to do it right now though. But I know if the pain reaches a certain level it's on again.

Being dependent is a nightmare. My life has been a series of pain flares opioids and withdrawals...rinse and repeat.

The amount of time i spend sick is as much as the amount in pain doing this cycle.

I don't know if I should just live with the pain. What made you get to this point?

Lucid. I got on the oxy many years ago due to living with pain from fractured c1, c2, and L5. I also broke my shoulders, orbital fracture and a lung injury. At first the oxy was wonderful and that might of lasted a year. From then on it was just taking it not to detox as my tollerance went up and up. Through the years it has taken the enjoyment from anything I ever loved to do. It has also pulled me away from all relationships with friends and family. I have become a shell of a person with no emotions at all. I struggle through work and spend the remaining hours laying in bed keeping to myself. Life consists of watching the clock waiting for hour 5 as I fall sicker and sicker. I traded my soul to get out of pain.

Nope. I am going thru this and staying clean. I'll find another way to deal with the pain
Try Kratom. You can find some companies online. The tinctures are stronger than the powders but more expensive. This works for most people but not for me an it worsens my tummy issues.

Admirable. I've met people in recovery with some pretty serious chronic pain that are clean.

It doesn't compute with me. I'm trying to do it right now though. But I know if the pain reaches a certain level it's on again.

Being dependent is a nightmare. My life has been a series of pain flares opioids and withdrawals...rinse and repeat.

The amount of time i spend sick is as much as the amount in pain doing this cycle.

I don't know if I should just live with the pain. What made you get to this point?
For me it used to be 2/3 of the time sick and only 1/3 "pain free"(high lol).

In chronic stages of opioid addiction the mind convinces itself getting well is as good as getting high used to be

I have had chronic stomach pains for a few years now. I have been to every kind of gastric doctor and all they can tell me is they think it is irritable bowel syndrome. I almost died three years ago with a blocked intestine. I get a prescription but it is not enough. I would like to eat without pain and so far the only thing which works is taking an 10 mgs. before a meal. I am sorry about your ordeal. Pain really sucks. I took for granted when I was healthy. :(

I have the same chronic stomach issues. Mine is from taking pain meds. They slow my bowels so much I get constipation and gas backup so it's always hurting. Daily miralax was helping alot once I started taking it