• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxycodone for Pain Relief

Throwaway987123

Greenlighter
Good Afternoon,

I have been on opioid pain medication for several years now for chronic neck and back pain, and complex regional pain syndrome. I've been taking 30mgs about 3 times day sometimes 4, for a couple years. I have taken 40,50,60mgs at a time when the pain is really bad. Its just plain oxycodone with no tylenol in it.

My question is, how much is safe to take at once? I basically get no affect from 30-40mgs anymore, and the pain comes back after about 2 hours and I cannot take my next dose for a couple more hours. I realize opioids are not sufficient for long term chronic pain, but thats what I have at the moment.

I don't want to keep taking higher doses, but I am curious what a person can safely take at once

Thank you

This is difficult to answer because one person could overdose on the same dosage another person takes to stay well. There isn't any set amount but try not to go over what you're allotted because your tolerance is going to keep rising with diminishing returns. Have you tried other medications besides oxycodone for pain?

A reasonable dose increase would probably be double 30-40mg. I don't like to guess at this kind of stuff but if 30-40mg doesn't do anything for you anymore it's fair to assume you could take 60-80mg without issue especially since you've taken dosages close to that in the past.

Obviously oxy doesn't seem to be working out for you, you need to be switched to something else. If you keep trying to spike your dosage levels like this your tolerance is going to shoot through the roof and soon 40mg of oxy might as well be a baby aspirin. Like T.Cal said, you should at least try another opiate for your pain because oxy is not doing it for you.