• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids and ethmoidal sinusitis

angel8

Bluelighter
I’ve just been diagnosed with ethmoidal sinusitis. It’s basically chronic sinusitis. I take prescribed Tramadol and Percocet in low doses. My Neurologist didn’t know much about the connection of the two. My ENT appointment isn’t for almost 2 months. Does anyone know if opioids can cause ethmoidal sinusitis? I’ve had issues with runny nose and sneezing since I started taking them. It’s gotten pretty bad. Any insight welcome! Thanks!

Are you taking these drugs orally or intranasally?

Have you tried taking an anti-histamine for the runny nose and sneezing? (Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra)
Do you have an answer to my question? I’m not looking for a remedy necessarily, but correlation between the two: sinusitis and opioids. If you have any insight into that, I’m happy to hear it.

I was a tramadol addict for over 10 years.

I never had this problem though or even heard of it.

I'm not sure how opioids would cause it or through what mechanism. Activating your opioid receptors doesn't have much to do with your sinuses.
I'd say it's just more likely coincidence. You're using low doses & I used 400+mg doses of tramadol daily every month (except for withdrawal week) for 10+ years.

Not saying it's impossible though. They are only now realizing that tramadol can be toxic to all the major organs, something which most other opioids are not known for.

So no, I'd say opioids don't 'cause it, but not all opioids are the same either. Tramadol is very atypical and may cause side effects different from traditional opiates.
But it's hard to say. Have you tried not taking them and seeing if it clears up?

Have you ever had any head injuries? Punched in the face? Does your nose ever drain a clear fluid? Cause those can signs of a cerebral fluid leak.

Do you have an answer to my question? I’m not looking for a remedy necessarily, but correlation between the two: sinusitis and opioids. If you have any insight into that, I’m happy to hear it.
There is no known correlation whatsoever. Opioids do not cause these symptoms as part of their primary effect or as adverse side effects.